Sport General

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: Sport General

Postby Aylett 67 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:19 pm

I'm looking forward to the new seasons for cycling, speedway, flat racing and the Commonwealth Games. Probably watch a bit of the world cup, but football doesn't do much for me now.
Aylett 67

Postby chopper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:40 pm

Aylett 67 wrote:I'm looking forward to the new seasons for cycling, speedway, flat racing and the Commonwealth Games. Probably watch a bit of the world cup, but football doesn't do much for me now.

I too follow speedway in particular the Belle Vue Aces,I went to Birmingham last week to watch em only for it to be cancelled due to rain 45 mins before it was due to start.
I'M ONLY HUMAN
chopper

Postby SubHuman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:56 am

Almost forgot the Boat Race, come on Oxford. I've supported them through thick and thin, probably following my Dad. Always thought that Cambridge were a bit too up themselves and a bunch of arrogant upper class tossers.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Thu May 15, 2014 12:00 am

Missed the start of the Giro d'Italia, anyway after stage five the overall leader board is:

1. Michael Matthews of Orica Green Edge (OGE)
2. Pieter Weening also of OGE
3. Cadel Evans of BMC
4. Rigoberto Uran of Omega Pharma Quickstep (OPQ)

The best placed Sky rider is Edvard Boasson Hagen in 6th position.

A lot of the normal favourites aren't in the race because of illness or poor form.
SubHuman

Postby Aylett 67 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:40 pm

SubHuman wrote:Missed the start of the Giro d'Italia, anyway after stage five the overall leader board is:

1. Michael Matthews of Orica Green Edge (OGE)
2. Pieter Weening also of OGE
3. Cadel Evans of BMC
4. Rigoberto Uran of Omega Pharma Quickstep (OPQ)

The best placed Sky rider is Edvard Boasson Hagen in 6th position.

A lot of the normal favourites aren't in the race because of illness or poor form.

Excellent, I often watch this in the pub as I can't afford Sky.
Aylett 67

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:46 am

We've had an interesting start to this years Tour de France in Yorkshire. The first stage, Leeds to Harrogate, was won in a sprint finish by Kittel of the Giant Team. Mark Cavendish crashed, in the sprint, and may be out with injury. Ride of the day was by Jans Voigt who took the Polka Dot jersey after getting into a breakaway and winning two of the classified climbs after a long solo effort. It look for a while as if Jans might win the stage but the last climb took so much out of him that almost immediately afterwards he was swallowed up by the peleton.

Tomorrows stage looks to be another exciting day with some very steep climbs and finishing in Sheffield. Apparently there have been in the order of four million spectators out and about in Yorkshire.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Sunday was another exciting Tour de France stage in Yorkshire. From York to Sheffield, a very sawtooth profile saw seven categorised climbs and many others almost as hard. An initial eight man breakaway stayed away for along time but they were eventually caught and the stage was won by the Astana GC rider Vincenzo Nibali from nine other GC riders with Chris Froome and Alberto Contador 2 seconds down.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:05 am

It's difficult keeping up with all the action on the Tour de France this week. As you'll probably know Chris Froome is out with a hand injury after crashing heavily on Monday and Tuesday. The tour is led by Nibali who is 2 minutes and 30 seconds up on Contador who remains favourite to win the tour this year.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:08 am

Nibali is now favourite to win this years Tour de France after Contador crashed out yesterday on a wet descent. None of the other GC riders seem able to stay with Nibali on the steep climbs. So as long as he stays on his bike and doesn't have a bad day he should win.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:07 am

Doesn't look like there is much interest in the Tour this year amongst forum members but I guess it is good that you keep us informed... :/ :/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:35 am

sarah t wrote:Doesn't look like there is much interest in the Tour this year amongst forum members but I guess it is good that you keep us informed... :/ :/

Actually Sarah there doesn't seem to be much interested in anything at the moment, unlike previous years... =| =( =( :/
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:26 am

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:Doesn't look like there is much interest in the Tour this year amongst forum members but I guess it is good that you keep us informed... :/ :/

Actually Sarah there doesn't seem to be much interested in anything at the moment, unlike previous years... =| =( =( :/

Perhaps most forum members are spending more time using Facebook and Twitter? =(
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:54 pm

sarah t wrote:
SubHuman wrote:

Perhaps most forum members are spending more time using Facebook and Twitter? =(

Maybe, but where?
SubHuman

Postby Stig Olsen » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:35 pm

Never really followed TDF apart from when our danish dopehead won it, and since he admitted taking EPO, and all the following scandals, I've lost all faith in the sport, so I don't watch it all.

Personally I think they should admit all kinds of doping, so the tour could be boiled down to a few days of racing freaks - would do well on TV.
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:54 pm

Stig Olsen wrote:Never really followed TDF apart from when our danish dopehead won it, and since he admitted taking EPO, and all the following scandals, I've lost all faith in the sport, so I don't watch it all.

Personally I think they should admit all kinds of doping, so the tour could be boiled down to a few days of racing freaks - would do well on TV.

If they do that you'll have riders dropping dead on the tour! Still I suppose some would pay good money to watch snuff sport. You know Win or Die.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:34 am

Nibali continues to consolidate his position as tour leader. On every mountain finishing stage he burns one of this rivals, on Friday it was Richie Porte and Valverde, although Valverde managed to limit his loss. Nibali just seems able to ride away from everyone on the long mountain climbs.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:22 pm

After yesterday's mountain stage on le tour the leader board shows:-

1. Nibali
2. Pinot +7' 10"
3. Peraud +7' 23"
4. Valverde +7' 25"
5. Bardet +9' 27"

Baring catastrophe Nibali must win, the other two podium places are up for grabs between numbers 2 to 4. The two minute gap back to Bardet is too great for him to make up, in the last two days, unless one of those in front have a serious problem.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:24 pm

I am surprised that no one, like your good self SubHuman ;) has not had anything to say about the Commonwealth games up in Glasgow... not really 'floating your boat'???
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:30 am

sarah t wrote:I am surprised that no one, like your good self SubHuman ;) has not had anything to say about the Commonwealth games up in Glasgow... not really 'floating your boat'???

I stopped watching athletics some time ago when the Olympics went from being sport to entertainment. Besides, what with formula one and le tour, I don't have much time for more sport.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:26 am

The Tour de France has finished and, as expected, was won by Nibali. The last sprint stage to the Champs Elysees was won by Marcel Kittel in a photo finish. Nibali has been so good this year that I'm not sure he wouldn't have won even if Froome and Contador has not crashed out, although the winning margin would almost certainly have been less.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:19 am

Alpine skiing returns on the 25/25 of this month with both ladies and mens giant slalom races at Solden, weather permitting. I have no idea who will be the main protagonists this year as there have been big changes in competitors in the last few years.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:16 am

Solden GS races are taking place right now.

Also this year the Rally Wales GB has it's biggest entry list since 2000. Starting on Deeside with a compact route the organisers are hoping for big spectator numbers due to it's proximity to the large northern an midlands conurbations. Hope to marshal on this event again in the next few years.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:13 pm

This year's Le Mans 24 hour race was won by Nicco Hulkenberg, Earl Bamber and Nick Tandy driving an LM prototype Porche 919 Hybrid. This is the first Le Mans Porche have won since 1998, although they have won more times than any other marque.

This year's Tour de France starts on the 4th July.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:58 pm

The first stage of the Tour de France, the 13 km time trial, has been won by the Australian Rohan Dennis riding for the BMC team.

Among the favourites to win the Tour this year are: Contador, Froome, Nibali, Quintana, van Garderen and Pinot.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:12 pm

The first week of Le Tour has been very dramatic with bad weather, strong side winds and rain, causing crashes and splits in the peloton. This has led to many retirements including riders wearing the yellow jersey e.g. Tony Martin and Fabian Cacellara. Today was the first proper mountain stage and Sky's Chris Froome blew away all of the other main general classification contenders on the mountain top finish. His nearest rival, Tejay van Garderen is now 2' 52'' behind.
SubHuman

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion