Just Sayin'

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: Just Sayin'

Postby sarah t » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:22 pm

I would also like to add my concern and wishes that everything turns out all right for you Sandrine.

take care my good friend! :)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:28 am

Feeling really p***ed off with ASDA this morning. Only when I got home from my first weekly main food shop that I looked at the till receipt and saw that they had 'conned me' out of £1.20. Not much you might think but I am hardly in the kind of shape where I can simply brush this kind of thing off but then who is I guess.

The item in question is three strawberry milk bottles which on the shelf were labeled at 60p but when they went through the checkout was £1, I'd bought three on my trip. I've never got into tea or coffee, don't drink alcohol and now see the wisdom in what my GP says about fizzy drinks adding to my weight (although I consider myself slim (from the cycling and walking) weight is a concern)) I've knocked that on the head. So what does that leave me with? Well there really only was flavoured milk but if that gets too expensive then I guess it is back to plain old tap water.

Sorry about the moan but I guess that is what this thread is all about =(
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:40 am

sarah t wrote:Feeling really p***ed off with ASDA this morning. Only when I got home from my first weekly main food shop that I looked at the till receipt and saw that they had 'conned me' out of £1.20. Not much you might think but I am hardly in the kind of shape where I can simply brush this kind of thing off but then who is I guess.

The item in question is three strawberry milk bottles which on the shelf were labeled at 60p but when they went through the checkout was £1, I'd bought three on my trip. I've never got into tea or coffee, don't drink alcohol and now see the wisdom in what my GP says about fizzy drinks adding to my weight (although I consider myself slim (from the cycling and walking) weight is a concern)) I've knocked that on the head. So what does that leave me with? Well there really only was flavoured milk but if that gets too expensive then I guess it is back to plain old tap water.

Sorry about the moan but I guess that is what this thread is all about =(

Yes Sarah, I've had similar experience with "special offers" that went through the till at the usual price and I didn't notice at the time. Had this at Morrisons, Tesco and Sainsburys and it wasn't enough to be worth taking a trip back to the shops. The one time Tesco really tried to "sting" us with a huge bill Sandra queried the amount and a supervisor put the weekly shop through another till. It turned out the checkout girl was having an off day and had put high priced items through multiple times, this virtually doubled the bill. I'm glad Sandra notice this as dopey me might not have, they took the girl off the till to calm her down afterwards as she burst into tears.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:31 pm

I made the trip back and spoke to the (eldery) lady at customer services who grudgingly gave me back the £1.20 that I had been overcharged saying that the shelf price will be changed. Occasionally this difference in shelf price and checkout price does happen from time to time but this is the one that I think is most unfair. The small ASDA own branded flavoured milks used to be 50p so to see it go to double that for the same amount is IMO crazy in the extreme. :O
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:09 pm

sarah t wrote:I made the trip back and spoke to the (eldery) lady at customer services who grudgingly gave me back the £1.20 that I had been overcharged saying that the shelf price will be changed. Occasionally this difference in shelf price and checkout price does happen from time to time but this is the one that I think is most unfair. The small ASDA own branded flavoured milks used to be 50p so to see it go to double that for the same amount is IMO crazy in the extreme. :O

Sounds like it was originally priced as a loss leader, but they usually increment such things up over a period rather than one big jump!
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:19 am

Posting every day and with the ability of either getting the last word on a subject or killing a conversation stone dead... come on you secretly want to be the second forum moderator Dave! :p :/

You obviously care deeply about this forum more than most people, possibly myself included!!!
sarah t

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:13 pm

Sarah, thank you for wishing me well. I just hope I don't end up like Joan Rivers!! Freaking me out!! :O As for drinks, I like water with fresh lemon, and make a pitcher and just put it in the frig. Am leaving this morning for 3 day family reunion, about a 6 and a half hours car ride. Last year's count was about 80 of us! We hang out together, eat together on Saturday and Sunday, and have an auction on Sunday to raise money to pay for the care and upkeep of our old family graveyard, dating back a few hundred years. We all donate items for the auction, and everyone pays high prices for the things just to raise money. Well, we'll be leaving soon, so take care!
The Earth Smiles In Flowers - e.e. cummings
Sandrine 7557

Postby SubHuman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:55 pm

sarah t wrote:Posting every day and with the ability of either getting the last word on a subject or killing a conversation stone dead... come on you secretly want to be the second forum moderator Dave! :p :/

Not bloody likely I'd lose my rag with people and ban right, left and centre, probably!
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:32 am

Sandrine 7557 wrote:Sarah, thank you for wishing me well. I just hope I don't end up like Joan Rivers!! Freaking me out!! :O As for drinks, I like water with fresh lemon, and make a pitcher and just put it in the frig. Am leaving this morning for 3 day family reunion, about a 6 and a half hours car ride. Last year's count was about 80 of us! We hang out together, eat together on Saturday and Sunday, and have an auction on Sunday to raise money to pay for the care and upkeep of our old family graveyard, dating back a few hundred years. We all donate items for the auction, and everyone pays high prices for the things just to raise money. Well, we'll be leaving soon, so take care!

A few hundred years! Did your family go over on the Mayflower?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:33 pm

Sandrine 7557 wrote:As for drinks, I like water with fresh lemon, and make a pitcher and just put it in the frig.

Sounds great for summer time, lemon sounds good for adding extra sparkle to well chilled H2O.

Sandrine 7557 wrote:Am leaving this morning for 3 day family reunion, about a 6 and a half hours car ride. Last year's count was about 80 of us! We hang out together, eat together on Saturday and Sunday, and have an auction on Sunday to raise money to pay for the care and upkeep of our old family graveyard, dating back a few hundred years. We all donate items for the auction, and everyone pays high prices for the things just to raise money. Well, we'll be leaving soon, so take care!

I presume the 'old family graveyard' is fairly large hence the auction to raise money to maintain it. Not just a good cause but 'hanging out' with so many people, presumably a lot of a good friends seems like an ideal way of spending a weekend despite the 6 1/2 hour car ride. Hope you all have a great time perhaps with plenty of Human League on the stereo???
:)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:37 pm

... and to totally finish off the subject I've been back to ASDA for my second of my two regular shopping trips this morning and the customer services lady whom I spoke to on Thursday morning was telling me fibs. Looking at the shelf the flavour milk is still 60p, not £1 as she told me. Anyway I was delighted to find Frijji (I believe the best selling flavoured milk drink) knocked down to 50p per bottle... so I picked up six of them and I can just about cram them in my small fridge alongside all the regular food items I get each week.
sarah t

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:17 pm

Dave, yes we have proof actually of relatives coming over on the Mayflower; we also have some full native American blood, Cherokee, with a few in the family cemetery, so I guess you could say we go way back! Last year there were over 80 relatives at this reunion. We call it, "The Family Rebellion"! There is a dinner tonight for all of us at a restaurant, and then tomorrow we use a community center and everyone brings a dish to pass, and the meat & drinks are bought with extra funds from the previous year's auction. The auction is after lunch, and we hang out Sunday evening and all disperse on Monday! There was a wedding a few weeks ago, and a wedding cake will also be at the Sunday lunch. We all ate breakfast together this morning & laughed so much, I'm not sure it was legal! And yes Sarah, we did listen to THL on the trip down! I hope you enjoy the drinks that you got on sale, and Stay Hydrated!!
Sandrine 7557

Postby SubHuman » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:37 am

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:Posting every day and with the ability of either getting the last word on a subject or killing a conversation stone dead... come on you secretly want to be the second forum moderator Dave! :p :/

Not bloody likely I'd lose my rag with people and ban right, left and centre, probably!

More seriously, I don't think I have what it takes to be a good moderator.
SubHuman

Postby Stig Olsen » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:58 am

If you visit other boards, you'll probably notice some seriously needs moderation, others require just a bit, this board requires nothing but a few cleaning ladies to dust off, move the furniture around once in a while, and throw out a few bugs trapped in the dishwasher filter...

Things have been worse, but that was long before you youngsters arrived :)
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby SubHuman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:55 am

Stig Olsen wrote:If you visit other boards, you'll probably notice some seriously needs moderation, others require just a bit, this board requires nothing but a few cleaning ladies to dust off, move the furniture around once in a while, and throw out a few bugs trapped in the dishwasher filter...

Things have been worse, but that was long before you youngsters arrived :)

Come back Bertie and Andy? Well at least the forum had something going on back then! Still I liked Gus Gus.
SubHuman

Postby Stig Olsen » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 am

SubHuman wrote:Come back Bertie and Andy? Well at least the forum had something going on back then!

Nah, more behind the curtains things - banning, deleting etc. But of course it's connected to a higher activity level - things changed when Facebook came around. Won't comment on names, other than some also contributed hugely to this board, and should be judged on that as well.

SubHuman wrote:Still I liked Gus Gus..
You should check them out on all the online media - loads of stuff on soundcloud and youtube, AND you should see them live as well - a different experience all together.
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby sarah t » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Just to keep me going during the day (particularly on a cycling run) I'm a 'bag of crisps and buttered roll(or hot cross bun)' sort of person for a lunch time energy 'pick me up' and am always keen to try out new flavours when on offer.

So all credit to Walkers for resurrecting their 'vote for your favourite' offer this year. Don't know if you guys have tried any of the current six but they are, not in any kind of order...

Cheesy Beans on Toast
Chip Shop Chicken Curry
Hot Dog with Tomato Ketchup
Pulled Pork in a sticky BBQ sauce
Ranch Raccoon
Sizzling Steak Fajita

Definately my favourite has got to be 'Pulled Pork in a sticky BBQ sauce' which would certainly get my vote. Walkers already do a tomato ketchup flavour crisps and adding Hot Dog to that hardly makes it that different. Not overly keen with Cheesy Beans on Toast and absolutely hate Sizzling Steak Fajita. I haven't tried Chip Shop Chicken Curry and Ranch Raccoon (whatever that is?) but have this week bought the six packs of these flavours just out of curiousity.

Anyone else tried these limited edition crisps????????
sarah t

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Does the Ranch Raccoon have a Gamey taste?! hehehe!
Sandrine 7557

Postby sarah t » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:15 am

Sitting in ASDA I was asked for directions to West Quay Shopping Centre and I used the opportunity to chat further asking if he was a visitor to the city. This burly jovial lighthearted chap with grizzled shaven head, pointy beard and glasses said he was down from Manchester and said everyone was so friendly and helpful in Southampton. I then had a bit of friendly banter saying that we welcome 'your football fans' and he retorted that although good at the moment we usually come here and beat you and I replied well we do have a top notch manager. I couldn't resist the opportunity to 'big up' Eastleigh and he replied that he was a big fan of Bury, currently riding high at the top of League Two.

Good to inadvertently promote the city and interesting to hear a favourable opinion of people living here from visitors outside the area.
:)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:41 pm

I was Shaun's (my youngest son) new place yesterday sorting a few things so I listened to his Spikey Beer album.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:46 pm

Can't believe the job centre some times. I was in there for a 4.10pm appointment. The lady I regularly see said she would not be available during November so I'll be seeing someone else during that month. I had little more than a brief chat before she asked me to do a 'personality test' for ASDA on their website but the computer on the third floor she wanted me to use did not accept (computer) cookies so I could not set up an account and proceed with the test and as it was so late in the day I was unable to use any of the more software flexible terminals on the ground floor.
:/

On another much happier subject great bit of good fortune for me during my ASDA food shopping trip this morning. Looking for some oats bars came across 'Harvest Cheweee White Choc Chip cereal bars' which were priced on the shelf 'a box of 8 bars for £1' which sounded like a great deal so I got three boxes. However when put through the till they came up as £1.68. I got them to double check and clearly a picking/pricing error on ASDA's part meant that I was the only person to get this item for £1 as advertised. I am leaning more into healthy snacks nowadays having largely given chocolate type items like KitKat the elbow so this was a fantastic money saving occurrence!
=D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:44 pm

On a more serious subject and I guess it comes to all us girls eventually but I do now feel rather old because of it...

I got an NHS breast screening appointment letter last week for January 2015. I was under the impression that this wouldn't be starting until I hit 50. Yeah I'll probably go although I feel it has come quicker than I was expecting. Is this fairly common in this country nowerdays or should it be later in life. As we have a global membership what is the situation around the world like America and Australia??? Any thoughts and comments about this?
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:35 am

sarah t wrote:On a more serious subject and I guess it comes to all us girls eventually but I do now feel rather old because of it...

I got an NHS breast screening appointment letter last week for January 2015. I was under the impression that this wouldn't be starting until I hit 50. Yeah I'll probably go although I feel it has come quicker than I was expecting. Is this fairly common in this country nowerdays or should it be later in life. As we have a global membership what is the situation around the world like America and Australia??? Any thoughts and comments about this?

I think they keep re-visiting what age this should be started at, I seem to remember that Sandra started going to these at about forty five. The good news is that after sixty five you don't get them so often.
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:17 am

Sarah, it's prudent just to go and get it, because things happen sometimes. I had a dear friend who was a doctor. She quit practicing to raise her only daughter. She was so kind and smart and helpful, but neglected screenings because she was on an insurance policy that required her to pay a lot of money for testing. By the time she found out she had breast cancer, she was at stage 4. She lived only less than a year after that, and it was terrible. I miss her completely. She would've had a chance if she'd been more proactive. It is recommended to start at age 50 in the U.S., but studies show that there are a huge number of women in their 40's who die of it because of the recommendation. Some women have higher risk factors, and some have no risk factors and end up with it. It's a crap shoot, so I'd go for it, Sarah!
Sandrine 7557

Previous

Return to General discussion