Just Sayin'

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: Just Sayin'

Postby sarah t » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Sandrine 7557 wrote:Officially Retired! =D Just Sayin'!!

Got medical benefit incentives to retire sooner than I would've.
..AND the weather's Summah-Time here! Woo-Hoo!

Wishing you all the best on reaching this point in your life, enjoy the Summah-Time to the full! ;)
sarah t

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Thank you, Sarah! Happy Dance!!
The Earth Smiles In Flowers - e.e. cummings
Sandrine 7557

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:33 am

Sandrine 7557 wrote:Officially Retired! =D Just Sayin'!!

Got medical benefit incentives to retire sooner than I would've.
..AND the weather's Summah-Time here! Woo-Hoo!

Good luck on your retirement, have a wonderful new life with no pesky kids to look after.
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:05 am

Thanks Dave, and on my very last school day, my little Down's boy kept following me around telling me how he was going to slit my husband's throat and cut his head off and marry me! THAT day dragged on. (Except for colleagues and their enduring friendships!) Woo Hoo!!
Sandrine 7557

Postby sarah t » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:36 pm

I'm definitely a 'make do an mend/needle and cotton' sort of person making clothes last as long as possible especially after all the 2013 employment service benefit sanctions that I faced like August I only received £6 to live on (bastards!). It robs you of all self respect and dignity to be treated this way.

Thankfully managing to get some of this personal morale back since then but can't get out of the habit of extremely overtly cautious spending should the situation ever occur again. It seems fairly remote, Job Centre aren't so bad nowerdays for me.

Recently been looking into getting 'basics' from Primark, a shop that I definitely seem to have fallen in love with. Never really been much of a clothes shopper but prices are remarkably reasonable and a good layout of merchandise in the facelifted, very posh Southampton store, I can find just what I want quite easily in a very pleasing shopping environment. So far I've got two pairs of trainers, two pairs of 'skinny' black jeans and a couple of 'cargo pant' trousers. Looking into leggings I usually find standard black is all that I am offered in my 18 size but was so surprised, in what I consider a rather racy, daring move, a fairly conservate store like Primark, offering immitation black leather leggings. Couldn't resist and bought a pair. IMO I think I have a fairly good slim figure so am a perfect fit for showing off my figure for this although size 18 leaves them a little wrinkled around the ankles so bought a second pair, this time a size 16 this morning. I'm not going crazy with spending but within reason, just one or two more things I'm targeting, am enjoying updating my wardrobe of clothes.
:)
sarah t

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Sarah, it's always nice to find a reliable place to buy clothes!

In our neck of the woods, something happened that I never thought would! Chicago won the George Lucas museum!! I NEVER thought it would happen, even though we bid. Lucas lives in California. I thought, "End Of Story". The article says it better:
"“Star Wars” creator George Lucas has selected Chicago over Los Angeles and San Francisco as the future home of his collection of art and movie memorabilia, according to a spokeswoman for the museum.

The museum's board Wednesday is expected to vote on a name change — from the Lucas Cultural Arts Museum to the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art — and destination.

Pending approval by the Chicago Plan Commission, Lucas' institution would be built on what are now parking lots between Soldier Field and McCormick Place and would open in 2018.

The decision to select Chicago reflects both a bungling of the billionaire's legacy project by the board of a national park in San Francisco as well as an aggressive lobbying effort by Mayor Rahm Emanuel. “I am humbled to be joining such an extraordinary museum community and to be creating the museum in a city that has a long tradition of embracing the arts and architecture,” Lucas said in a statement. He added, “Choosing Chicago is the right decision for the museum, but a difficult decision for me personally because of my strong personal and professional roots in the Bay Area.”

The 70-year-old filmmaker is a native of Modesto, Calif., but he built his career in San Francisco. He never made a movie in Hollywood. He recently married a Chicagoan, Ariel Investments President Mellody Hobson, and lives here part time.

The museum will house a collection that includes valuable Norman Rockwell paintings, examples of the special effects he pioneered at Industrial Light & Magic, and memorabilia such as the Darth Vader costume.

The works are wrapped around the theme of storytelling. Many pieces, such as Lucas' collection of magazine illustrations, predate the arrival of moving pictures, television and radio, said Laurie Norton Moffatt, chief executive officer of the Norman Rockwell Museum, who is advising Lucas.

“It's still an emerging and growing collection,” she said. She noted that Lucas “has an extraordinary collection of movie posters. I think he has the largest collection in the world.”

According to a source, two factors weighed in Chicago's favor.

One was that the city draws far more tourists than San Francisco. Chicago set a record in 2012 with 46.37 million visitors while the city of San Francisco attracted 16.51 million visitors that year, according to the San Francisco Travel Association.

In addition, the site Emanuel offered is near the Museum Campus, home to the Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum and Adler Planetarium. Lucas hopes to collaborate with his prospective neighbors, the source said.

The city got a shot at the museum because Lucas was unable to nail down an agreement for his first choice: a San Francisco bayside location on Crissy Field, part of a former Army base that was turned into an urban national park known as the Presidio. In a statement Tuesday, San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee said the Presidio's board “unwisely rejected” Lucas' preferred site and “forced” him to consider Chicago."

Oh well! Their loss, our gain! It would be a half hour's drive from my house. (Or more, with traffic, realistically!) Whatever, I'm glad about the procurement!
Sandrine 7557

Postby sarah t » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:18 am

Sandrine 7557 wrote:In our neck of the woods, something happened that I never thought would! Chicago won the George Lucas museum!! I NEVER thought it would happen, even though we bid. Lucas lives in California. I thought, "End Of Story". The article says it better:
"“Star Wars” creator George Lucas has selected Chicago over Los Angeles and San Francisco as the future home of his collection of art and movie memorabilia, according to a spokeswoman for the museum.

Congrats on Chicago's achievement of getting the George Lucas museum and thanks for the detailed and interestingly informative post Sandrine. Obviously 'the force is strong' with your town! ;)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:02 am

You would have thought that San Francisco would have pulled out all the stops to get this museum. Well one up to Chicago.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:05 am

SubHuman wrote:You would have thought that San Francisco would have pulled out all the stops to get this museum. Well one up to Chicago.

Surely San Francisco has enough tourist attractions in the city and across the bay/golden gate bridge so missing out on this one won't be to much of a disappointment ;)
sarah t

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:52 pm

That's what I thought, Dave. Well it isn't without controversy--Chicago Bears football fans are upset that it would take away parking lots that they use for tailgating. Furthermore, the mayor has said that Lucas will build it with underground parking lots and turn the museum's ownership over to Chicago Park District. Unsure if he'd want to do that...However, the museum would be among 3 other museums, so it'd fit the theme! I am not a Star Wars devotee, but Lucas has so many rare collections of differing memorabilia, that I'd go. There are a lot of opinions floating around the newspapers about it...
Sandrine 7557

Postby sarah t » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:10 am

Just wanted to wish all our transatlantic forum members a happy Independence Day! However you are celebrating the 4th of July hope you have a great time :) ;)

How about a bit of James Brown with the IMO excellent 'Living In America' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5BL4RNFr58 to get you guys in the mood =D
sarah t

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:44 pm

Aw, thankya kindly, Sarah, and enjoyed the vid with James Brown! I'm telling you, you can see any sanctioned fireworks display, and yet people set off rival displays in their back yards! Not a good night for pets! There was much revelry, but people should leave the explosives to the pros! One guy in California got both hands blown off when an explosive malfunctioned....Wake Up, People!!!
Sandrine 7557

Postby sarah t » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:11 am

Sandrine 7557 wrote:Aw, thankya kindly, Sarah, and enjoyed the vid with James Brown! I'm telling you, you can see any sanctioned fireworks display, and yet people set off rival displays in their back yards! Not a good night for pets! There was much revelry, but people should leave the explosives to the pros! One guy in California got both hands blown off when an explosive malfunctioned....Wake Up, People!!!

Was attending/having a fireworks display the highlight of your 4th of July Independence day celebrations???????
sarah t

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:13 pm

Haha, Sarah, well the fireworks were certainly an integral part of the celebration. Naperville has Ribfest every year, and it goes on for 4 days of contests, festivities, carnival rides, bands, etc. People do come from many countries to attend, which makes the fest HUGE! So huge, that many Napervillians don't go anymore....It used to be a city celebration, but, the crowds are unrelenting, parking is non-existant, and it's something I unfortunately avoid now. Now there are 5 locations that you can go to, park your car (at one of the university parking lots or high school parking lots) and a shuttle bus takes you to the fest and back. I'm spoiled; used to be you could drive up and park next to the fest. Long story short, Ron & I had lunch at a beautiful converted train station in the neighboring town, Aurora, and went to their fest, on the river. Although there were tons of people, (for my taste) we parked right across the street, listened to the bands with no problem, and a beautiful fireworks display was shot over the river, which was right next to us. Not only that, but they fixed up a park down the road a bit for CHILDREN, which kept the River Edge Park pretty "Peanut-Size" free! We noshed on the food a bit, had some drinks, had a great time. Leaving town was more of a chore because of traffic, but it was so worth it. Talked to many after from my town who avoided it too--yet talked to friends from far-away suburbs who went to it! Sorry so long! There ya go!!
Sandrine 7557

Postby sarah t » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:04 pm

Sandrine 7557 wrote:Haha, Sarah, well the fireworks were certainly an integral part of the celebration. Naperville has Ribfest every year, and it goes on for 4 days of contests, festivities, carnival rides, bands, etc. People do come from many countries to attend, which makes the fest HUGE! So huge, that many Napervillians don't go anymore....It used to be a city celebration, but, the crowds are unrelenting, parking is non-existant, and it's something I unfortunately avoid now. Now there are 5 locations that you can go to, park your car (at one of the university parking lots or high school parking lots) and a shuttle bus takes you to the fest and back. I'm spoiled; used to be you could drive up and park next to the fest. Long story short, Ron & I had lunch at a beautiful converted train station in the neighboring town, Aurora, and went to their fest, on the river. Although there were tons of people, (for my taste) we parked right across the street, listened to the bands with no problem, and a beautiful fireworks display was shot over the river, which was right next to us. Not only that, but they fixed up a park down the road a bit for CHILDREN, which kept the River Edge Park pretty "Peanut-Size" free! We noshed on the food a bit, had some drinks, had a great time. Leaving town was more of a chore because of traffic, but it was so worth it. Talked to many after from my town who avoided it too--yet talked to friends from far-away suburbs who went to it! Sorry so long! There ya go!!

Nothing wrong with a long post particularly when someone like you has something interesting to say. Thanks very much for the informative post. Ribfest sounds like a lot of fun! =D
sarah t

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:40 am

Today is my birthday....Just Sayin'!
I'm so old that my my age is in Roman Numerals! (rimshot!)
I'm so old, I babysat Jesus...(another!)
I'ms so old, when I was in school they didn't teach History (bows!)
Sandrine 7557

Postby sarah t » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:30 pm

Sandrine 7557 wrote:Today is my birthday....Just Sayin'!

A very happy birthday to you... hope you have/had (depending when you read this) a great day celebrating!
;)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:47 pm

Sandrine 7557 wrote:Today is my birthday....Just Sayin'!

Happy Birthday. Don't eat too much cake.
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:12 pm

Point taken, Dave. (killjoy!) Thanks Sarah. We got a new that day, a Lexus es350. Will be husband's primary car, since his car died. And it'll be for trips anywhere if not using our camper. So on my birthday I sat in the dealership for 3 antsy hours, doing paperwork and learning about it--got out and tutored a student whom I didn't cancel just because it was my birthday...but had a great dinner out and split a tirimisu, too! Age--it's better than the alternative!
Sandrine 7557

Postby sarah t » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:44 pm

Shocked and very saddened at seeing the fairly graphic pictures today showing the loss of the 144 year old Eastborne pier through a fairly widespread fire. No word about insurance claims or any possibility of rebuilding it. =(
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:08 pm

sarah t wrote:Shocked and very saddened at seeing the fairly graphic pictures today showing the loss of the 144 year old Eastborne pier through a fairly widespread fire. No word about insurance claims or any possibility of rebuilding it. =(

Apparently the firefighters managed to save some of it. I have distant memories of being on the pier in about 1970 while in Eastbourne for my brother in laws wedding.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:18 pm

Recently came across an inner-truth journal titled "I Need To Unplug". Each two page spread has a peace of wisdom on the LH page i.e. "Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer" - William S. Burroughs, and a diary page on the RH side where you can commune with yourself. The idea seems to be to help you unplug and chill out away from the distractions of the internet.
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:00 pm

The key to that journal Dave, to me, is its title: The Need to Unplug. If you already feel that you do, it makes sense then, that relaxing and blocking out distractions would help facilitate that. For me, I just guilt-trip myself on getting up and doing the chores I've been neglecting, lol.
About 3 years ago I had a benign tumor removed from a gland under my thyroid. It's been monitored ever since, and now it seems I have another. One more blood test in a month to confirm the previous two, and it's The Knife again! Oh Well folks: It is what it is!! As someone observed after my first time, "Oh! They slit your throat!" Good thing I have this black humor myself!....
Sandrine 7557

Postby SubHuman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:39 pm

Sorry to hear about your problem Sandrine, I take it you had chemo or radiation treatment after the surgery. The trouble with cancer is that it sometimes comes back in one form or another, on the other hand they're making improvements in the treatment almost daily. I have my fingers crossed for you.
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:27 pm

Oh Dave, you must've missed up there, it was benign. Almost all those types of tumors are, so I'm hoping this one will be as well. Still, it's right next to the voice box, and who likes getting their throat opened up! So...just wish me good luck!
Sandrine 7557

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion