Just Sayin'

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Just Sayin'

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:36 am

What's up? Air anything, humorous or annoying in your life....

Two weeks ago in Chiberia here (Chicago + Siberia) I was walking into a hair salon (saloon?!) and most of the walk was shoveled, but not what you had to walk over to get to it....so I pitched forward on ice and fell onto my right elbow and left knee. My friends later asked, "Did you look around to see who was watching?" and I said no, I was checking to make sure nothing was broken! (I don't mind being entertainment for the Human Condition.) So 2 weeks later and it still all hurts--I'm afraid it's going to keep me out of the Olympics...
The Earth Smiles In Flowers - e.e. cummings
Sandrine 7557

Re: Just Sayin'

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:03 am

Bad luck Sandrine, I'm just waiting for the scab to come off my left ear where the hospital removed a small cancerous mole. They gave me some Naseptin cream to apply, contains peanut oil?
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:09 am

Good health to you Dave--

So in class today we were noting how Alexander the Great named LOTS of cities the same name...Alexandria! Okay! Then I reminded everyone how American boxer George Foreman--who had 12 children--name 5 of his boys George! And one daughter is Georgetta! How thoughtful!! Actually, it's about egotism, George...and George, George, George, George and George.
Sandrine 7557

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:12 am

So I took the day off school yesterday, and a teacher took over a few of my "problem" students. She got so frustrated by my "Favorite" (NOT) student that she called his mom to come pick him up! And she did! This is the same student that they all expect me to deal with 3 hours each day....
Just Sayin'.
Sandrine 7557

Postby SubHuman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am

Sandrine 7557 wrote:So I took the day off school yesterday, and a teacher took over a few of my "problem" students. She got so frustrated by my "Favorite" (NOT) student that she called his mom to come pick him up! And she did! This is the same student that they all expect me to deal with 3 hours each day....
Just Sayin'.

I hear Guantanamo have some manacles going cheap.
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:37 pm

--Thanks, Dave, I'm thinking more of a taser.

Okay, in 2010, Evan Lysacek won the Olympic Gold medal for Freeskate. He actually grew up in my own city here, and went to the middle school I teach at. In fact, he came back and visited us: pretty exciting; big school assembly, the press, the whole deal.
Well now, an Olympic-bound figure skater who will be in Sochi grew up about just a half-hour's drive from where I live. His name is Jason Brown, and he's just 19 years old. He never expected to be chosen, because he cannot do the quad jump yet. But his artistry won the judges and fans. He also does a River Dance interpretation in his Freestyle. It's very fun and exciting; he's a charasmatic skater. Both mechanics and artistry are given equal weight in the judging. He's a funny guy; he says of his long-time coach, "I don't know why she ever stuck with me, since I was just 4 and a half when I started skating. I was a Devil Child! Always crying and throwing tantrums!" Anyway, if you enjoy figure skating, here is a vid of the freestyle performance that landed him a coveted spot on the Olympic team; just two males were chosen for this category. At the very end, we see his shock at scoring into first place. What I think is cool is watching his coach; she is very Zen-like in her attitude, and I believe this must be a calming force for him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzlcVKFVWVI#t=65
Sandrine 7557

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:46 am

So my little Special Ed student Vince, (who is usually a Special Thorn in my Side) walked up to me this Valentine's Day morning and said brightly to me, "Happy New Years, Honey!"
just sayin...
Sandrine 7557

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:42 pm

I love Jimmy Fallon, who's taken over The Tonight Show in the U.S. The show's in New York. A few hours ago he did the Chicago (35 min. from my home) Polar Bear Plunge. They break up ice to have entry to Lake Michigan's water. People jump in, jump out, and quickly warm up. They raise money for Special Education. So the water itself was 35F ( 0 Celcius) and the air was 10F (-12 C.) Jimmy and the Chicago Mayor both did it (although the mayor wore shorts and a t-shirt!) Jimmy wore a suit, just as he said he would. Here is a link to a photo showing Jimmy's look of body shock as he exited! Hope no one gets pneumonia! :O
http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/tel ... 282191.php
Here are a series of photos showing his probable regret! (He kept talking about how he might get himself out of this promise!)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi- ... 1611.story
Sandrine 7557

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:10 pm

Tomorrow is March 14th, translation, 3/14, translation 3.14 = Pi. Tomorrow is a long-held tradition at my school, PIe Day. We all bring in pies to the teacher's lounge to share. I made a raspberry cheesecake pie. We also have a yearly student contest, the winner being the student who can recite the most numbers of Pi. Every year some Rainman kid outdoes the previous year's winner!
Sandrine 7557

Postby JJ » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:08 pm

Sandrine 7557 wrote:Tomorrow is March 14th, translation, 3/14, translation 3.14

Not in the rest of the world it isn't (but I realise that would bugger up the Pi thing for you.) :)

Presumably you all celebrate 4th May with light sabres?...
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:26 pm

Haha, I guess May 4th would be as good a day as any for the Science department to study wavelength and frequency of the electromagnetic spectrum!
Sandrine 7557

Postby JJ » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:25 am

You do realise that May 4th is Star Wars day...?
JJ

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:54 am

Yes and I did not make that clear...but I think I'd rather honor the Babylonians and have a piece of pie!
Sandrine 7557

Postby SubHuman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:03 pm

JJ wrote:You do realise that May 4th is Star Wars day...?

Why, just asking.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:24 pm

"May the 4th be with you..."
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:06 pm

JJ wrote:"May the 4th be with you..."

I see.
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:31 pm

I see you also have a lithp, JJ!
Sandrine 7557

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:07 pm

SO....in Health Class, the 6th grade boy Nolan spoke of a family trip where he and his brother got deathly sick for two days. The culprit? OMG.....eating Truck-Stop Sushi!!! I didn't know there existed such a vile thing! And...the state was Tennessee! (What Else could it've been!) Truck-Stop Sushi is an oxymoron!!!!!!!!
Sandrine 7557

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:46 am

Yah, on March 13th I posted our impending Pi Day at school, which took place the next day on 3.14.
Well, every year there is also a contest to see which student can memorize the most digits of Pi.
Sure enough, one of our autistic students, Ryan won----memorizing, and calling forth, an amazing 1,424 digits of Pi!!
My FB page has a clip of him calling out some of the series.
Ryan is also famous for other things---like cursing at the teachers and aides in Chinese---which is why he now has a full-time Chinese aide accompanying him all day--and I've heard her yell at him in Chinese to lay off the potty mouth! By the way, he speaks perfect English, but autistic boys can be pretty crafty. Shazam.
Sandrine 7557

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:10 am

Every year Iowa State University, where my daughter Arielle goes, has a week long celebration that recognizes the school's origins,which are engineering, vet school, industrial arts, etc. it's a week of fun & entertainment, but last night at 2:30 am a crowd of 1,000 drunken students tipped cars, pulled out 2 light poles which injured one person almost fatally, threw beer cans at police, etc. The school today cancelled the entire event. Good call. If students think they have to wreck everything, they're idiots. Yeah it's a "few", but the event was a "gift", not an Inalienable Right! They are looking to prosecute certain students, and I hope, kick them out. They shouldn't be allowed to attend any public university.
Sandrine 7557

Postby sarah t » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:15 am

Sandrine 7557 wrote:Every year Iowa State University, where my daughter Arielle goes, has a week long celebration that recognizes the school's origins,which are engineering, vet school, industrial arts, etc. it's a week of fun & entertainment, but last night at 2:30 am a crowd of 1,000 drunken students tipped cars, pulled out 2 light poles which injured one person almost fatally, threw beer cans at police, etc. The school today cancelled the entire event. Good call. If students think they have to wreck everything, they're idiots. Yeah it's a "few", but the event was a "gift", not an Inalienable Right! They are looking to prosecute certain students, and I hope, kick them out. They shouldn't be allowed to attend any public university.

Terrible to hear that this group of people spoiled such a well appreciated event. Hope these individuals get exactly what they deserved!
=(
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:33 am

Sandrine 7557 wrote:Every year Iowa State University, where my daughter Arielle goes, has a week long celebration that recognizes the school's origins,which are engineering, vet school, industrial arts, etc. it's a week of fun & entertainment, but last night at 2:30 am a crowd of 1,000 drunken students tipped cars, pulled out 2 light poles which injured one person almost fatally, threw beer cans at police, etc. The school today cancelled the entire event. Good call. If students think they have to wreck everything, they're idiots. Yeah it's a "few", but the event was a "gift", not an Inalienable Right! They are looking to prosecute certain students, and I hope, kick them out. They shouldn't be allowed to attend any public university.

Sounds like "high spirits" which got out of hand! Spirits are usually involved. When I was an apprentice instructor we occasionally had similar if not quite so serious events. I.E. trashed common rooms with ashtrays emptied in the chairs dustbins superglued to the ceiling and flooded corridors where the less popular apprentices had been given a fully dressed cold water bath, and one time all of the internal doors had been removed and neatly stacked inside one of the empty bedrooms. We usually stopped a day or a weeks pay for all of those responsible or the entire school if we couldn't identify the culprits. Needless to say the ringleaders became very unpopular if we did the latter with a few black eyes and split lips. This didn't happen very often and usually excess energy and pressure was burnt off by sports activities.
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:17 am

Exactly. Now Shooting the Moon, that was us Beautifying campus at my college, but this is wantonly misguided!
Sandrine 7557

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:23 am

Happy Mothers Day to-
All the moms
Those who have no children of their own, but have behaved as moms to children at times
Those who aspire to be moms, but may be having difficulties
and last but not least,
All the wonderful people who've made us moms! Couldn't do it without you!

Special personal shout-out to my daughter who graduated today and now has a degree in software engineering. You've made me a proud and happy mom! ♥
Sandrine 7557

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:52 pm

Officially Retired! =D Just Sayin'!!

Got medical benefit incentives to retire sooner than I would've.
..AND the weather's Summah-Time here! Woo-Hoo!
Sandrine 7557

Next

Return to General discussion