Motorsport 2014 - Formula One

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: Motorsport 2014 - Formula One

Postby sarah t » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:41 pm

SubHuman wrote:Apparently Christian Horner is spicing up his life by stepping out with new girlfriend Geri Halliwell. Is this to take his mind off of Red Bull's poor start to the current season.

Any way come on Lewis for China.

Can't see Lewis not being on the podium, probably getting the win although I personally would like to see Nico take it after being unable to take advantage of his better race strategy in the Bahrain GP ;)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:50 am

Not surprised that Hamilton won in China or that it was another Mercedes 1-2 but rather sobering by the extreme margin between him and Rosberg. Fantastic to see Fernando Alonso hauling the Ferrari up into an excellent third... seems to much better than Kimi, and good for new team manager. More head scratching at McLaren not even getting points here, Button only eleventh. Good to see Vettel fighting Ricardo whom again was the better Red Bull but Sebastian not happy with team orders and getting him to 'work for it' in passing him.

IMO not as good as Bahrain although the start was quite exciting. Alonso got off to a flyer and then there was the collisions for both Williams, not enough to halt either driver. Looking like Massa was at fault going too close to Alonso but guess it was just a 'racing incident'

The european season and proper UK race times begin with Spain in a couple of weeks so I should be able to keep up with what's going on with BBC Radio5Live!
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Wed May 07, 2014 12:29 pm

Back racing again this weekend but no live race day coverage on BBCradio 5Live because of Premiere League. That's alright I thought, they would just move it over to 5LiveXtra... no such luck as they are focusing on some poxy cricket match! Guess I'll be playing catchup on BBCiPlayer net week although traditionally Spanish GP is hardly that exciting a race given that the teams do their winter testing there...
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri May 09, 2014 12:25 pm

sarah t wrote:Back racing again this weekend but no live race day coverage on BBCradio 5Live because of Premiere League. That's alright I thought, they would just move it over to 5LiveXtra... no such luck as they are focusing on some poxy cricket match! Guess I'll be playing catchup on BBCiPlayer net week although traditionally Spanish GP is hardly that exciting a race given that the teams do their winter testing there...

Judt checked the days schedule and am delighted that Spanish GP will be covered live on BBC radio5 this Sunday... only sensible really as Premier League matches don't get underway until after the F1 race has finished. Feels like quite a massive relief for me.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun May 11, 2014 11:09 am

Another front row lockout by Mercedes with Hamilton on pole. What has happened to Vettel he seems to be out of sorts this season, out qualified again by Ricciardo.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon May 12, 2014 12:58 pm

Ho hum all rather predicatable in Spanish GP despite last few lap tussels between Hamilton and Rosberg. Good to see Fernando giving something for the local fans to cheer about although teammate Kimi definitely looked the stronger Ferrari driver over the entire weekend. Great performance from Bottas, only tyres let him down at the end leaving him a sitting target for Vettel.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue May 13, 2014 11:05 pm

Yes it's difficult to see anyone other than a Mercedes driver winning the rest of this seasons Gran Prix, still Monaco may give us a surprise.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu May 22, 2014 10:38 am

Thought I'd mention Jennie Gow presents a special hour long preview program on BBC Radio5Live tonight from 7.30pm. Might be worth listening to!
:)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri May 23, 2014 10:15 am

sarah t wrote:Thought I'd mention Jennie Gow presents a special hour long preview program on BBC Radio5Live tonight from 7.30pm. Might be worth listening to!

Wasn't the full hour but liked the 'either/or' question and answer that Jennie had with both Hulkenberg and Perez. Sergio I thought was rather polite when talking about 'how things went wrong' during his season with McLaren but I guess its good to hear that he is enjoying life with Force India. Hopefully most of what was covered in last nights program will find its way into the Preview podcast.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue May 27, 2014 10:47 am

Listening to the Monaco GP on Sunday and it certainly turned out to be a cracking good race full of incident and excitement. Good for the championship that Rosberg got the win over Hamilton although Lewis made his feelings fairly plain on the pit-to-car radio. Good for the sport that Vettel's challenge to get a 5th title continues to falter and impressed by Ricardo doing so well. Another great performance from Alonso despite Kimi outquailifying and for the most part out racing him. Button and Magnessen grabbing points was welcome although they continue to struggle to get any major progress compared with, for example Force India and Hulkenberg in particular. Good strategy for Massa in the Williams and impressed that Marussia managed to grab a couple of points... but that is so typical of Monaco to throw up surprise achievements.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Well it's the Canadian GP this weekend lets hope for some close racing. I was distinctly underwhelmed by the procession that is Monaco. I guess most betting is on Lewis Hamilton to win.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:52 pm

SubHuman wrote:Well it's the Canadian GP this weekend lets hope for some close racing. I was distinctly underwhelmed by the procession that is Monaco. I guess most betting is on Lewis Hamilton to win.

Playing catch up with this one but thanks to my good friend Andrew at the Oxfam bookshop I will be able to see a videotaped copy of the BBC1 coverage the following week. Personally I didn't think Monaco was that processional (see my post on that race) but Canada is bound to be much more entertaining, quite a good track which usually provides great racing... it is also Kimi's 200th GP start although don't know what he can do in that Ferrari of his.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:36 pm

There was quite a lot of incident as Monaco this year but difficult to watch a clearly frustrated Hamilton trying to get past Rosberg.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:27 pm

SubHuman wrote:There was quite a lot of incident as Monaco this year but difficult to watch a clearly frustrated Hamilton trying to get past Rosberg.

Passing is always virtually impossible in the principality, it really only can be effectively done 'in the pits'. I suspect in Hungary later in the year we will probably get the same situation. Frankly Rosberg is really Hamilton's only genuine challenger for the title (IMO that Mercedes seems 'just too good for the other teams to effectively close the gap in raw pace) and the only excitment for us fans. I hope it will not be an isolated incident where Lewis does not get it all his own way although I think it is a reasonable certainty that he will bag the Canadian GP win this weekend but lets hope Nico pushes him extremely hard during the race!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:22 pm

What an amazing race the Canadian GP, was with some stunning incidents. Maybe this year will be more exciting than it was looking to be. A very good results for both Red Bull and McLaren, bad luck again for Lewis.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:42 pm

Been surprisingly difficult to avoid not hearing all the details about Canada since Sunday, people not usually fans at Oxfam bookshop were impressed with this race. Got to watch the video tape of the race last night and I very much enjoyed what I saw. Great to see someone else, Ricardo's Red Bull grabbing the first non-Mercedes win of the season which including his passing Vettel through his pitstop.

Thought it was going to be usual processional outing for Mercedes with one-two on the grid and then Lewis trying desperately to get past Nico. Astonished when they both slowed late on and yes bad luck for Hamilton but then I guess he had been pushing his car far harder than Rosberg.

Once again Williams promised much but ultimately failed to live up to their impressive qualifying. Force India were for me the team that impressed the most with excellent tyre management and certainly deserved more from Canada. Probably the best performance from Massa but shocked when his right front clipped the left rear of Perez on the final lap. That was a big impact for both drivers just into the first corner and really tragic as the result of finishing where they were (4th and 5th) would IMO been a good indication of just how well they had done in the entire race. I thought that was a sweet moment when Massa swept pass former Ferrari teammate Alonso. Their (Massa and Perez) misfortune surprisingly elevated Button's woeful McLaren into fourth although JB I think did well overall considering the inferior machinery he has nowerdays.

I hear that the circuit have signed a ten year contract extension and on the evidence of the 2014 race let's hope there are may more events just as good as this one has been!
=D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:04 am

Canada certainly produced some surprises and emphasised how fragile this year's cars are. It maybe that come the end of the year reliability and ability to look after the car will determine who wins the drivers championship. There seems little doubt that Mercedes will win the constructors. I thought that both Massa and Perez contributed to their accident and that it was a little unfair that Perez was penalized for what looked like a racing incident.
Roll on the Austrian GP and maybe more surprises!
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:53 pm

Finally some good news in the Schumacher coma story... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27868787

Not my favourite driver but I really hope he is now on the way to recovery
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:07 pm

sarah t wrote:Finally some good news in the Schumacher coma story... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27868787

They say he's out of the coma, but there's no news of exactly how well he is? It still doesn't look like he's in great shape, unfortunately.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:17 am

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:Finally some good news in the Schumacher coma story... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27868787

They say he's out of the coma, but there's no news of exactly how well he is? It still doesn't look like he's in great shape, unfortunately.

I agree, not very conclusive but at least it is finally a step in the right direction and after so very long not knowing if anything positive was going to happen in his condition.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:07 pm

Flicked through a copy of Autosport at a newsagents this morning and it seems there hasn't been that greater change to the Austria circuit apart from the name change from A1 Ring to Red Bull Ring. Set in very pleasant countryside and I've got a taped copy of the 1997 to refresh my memory.

for 2014 I'll be back with Radio5Live hearing it 'as it happens' Sunday afternoon, something that the BBC television channels cannot offer.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:25 pm

Eventually status quo with Mercedes getting a 1-2 but they certainly had to work for it! Great to see a front row lock out on the grid for the Williams and amazing start from Hamilton from 9th but Rosberg somehow had just enough to keep him at bay and has now opened up quite a lead in the standings. Marvellous for Bottas to grab his first podium, richly deserved and great drive also from Massa. Perez looks pretty good in the Force India once more but not much cheer for the four Red Bull (senior and junior team) drivers with only Ricardo bagging some points. Other than that I don't think much else worth mentioning.

Onto Silverstone!
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:12 pm

Live BBC radio coverage for Silverstone but I noticed that because of Wimbledon they've shunted it over to 5LiveXtra...
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:05 pm

Will Silverstone be Hamilton's turn to win for Mercedes? He needs a win to stop Rosberg from walking away with the drivers championship.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:43 pm

SubHuman wrote:Will Silverstone be Hamilton's turn to win for Mercedes? He needs a win to stop Rosberg from walking away with the drivers championship.

After what transpired in Austria don't discount Williams Mercedes and could Red Bull bounce back after a disappointing home race? ;)
sarah t

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion