Motorsport 2014 - Formula One

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: Motorsport 2014 - Formula One

Postby SubHuman » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:04 am

Looks like business as usual for Mercedes at Silverstone.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:44 pm

200th race for Massa, shame that Suzie Wolff in the Williams Mercedes only had four laps at Silverstone (worth downloading the Radio 5 podcast for an interesting informative interview with her), I like Jenson Button's Silverstone helmet design and for a very good cause as well... I hope it brings him good luck in Sundays race.
:)

As usualy at this point of the weekend still too early to read anything into free practice sessions we have had so far. Besides weather might be better tomorrow.
:/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:33 am

Hamilton messed up qualifying again? Is the pressure getting to him. Looks like we're in for an interesting race and what happened to Ferrari?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:04 pm

The British GP certainly delivered all that the Silverstone fans had come to see. Firstly you had a fiesty agressive drive from Hamilton whom ultimately got the win which seemed pretty likely even if Rosberg hadn't retired with gearbox issues. Secondly a fantastic 'driver of the day' performance from Bottas in the Williams Mercedes who was simply stunning going from 14th on the grid to an incredible second at the end of the race. I wonder what would have happened if Massa hadn't clobbed into the clueless Kimi's spinning Ferrari, perhaps they might have both got on the podium? I bet the crowd loved the agressive battling between Alonso and Vettel although the latters winging on the pit-to-car radio was crazy. Lastly great to see such a great weekend for Button, qualifying third, second before the race was red flagged and then ultimately finishing fourth just a cig paper behind Ricardo's Red Bull... that has got to rank as his best British GP performance of his career (his dad would have been so proud and it was great that there were so many pink shirts around the circuit for the good cause) but still that elusive podium remains frustratingly out of reach.

This will be one British GP that I'm sure will be talked about for quite some time to come! =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:54 pm

Really great race at Silverstone, with some close racing all the way through. Kimi's accident was self inflicted, running wide and then rejoining the track with too much speed so that he then span off into the Armco. Hamilton did very well to get into second place and was hunting Rosberg down when the race leader's gearbox failed. The dual between Alonso and Vettel was riveting, and Button would have caught Ricciardo if the race had been longer. Can't wait until the next race in Germany on the 20th.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:07 am

...it has also closed up the constructors champship quite nicely. Williams are catching up Ferrari and there is now only a point between McLaren and Force India
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:33 pm

No one can underestimate the competitiveness of that Williams Mercedes car, particularly in the hands of Bottas grabbing a third sucessive podium and moving the team above Ferrari in the constructors table. Another stunning drive in Germany from the cool youngster and surprising and delighting his team in being able to keep a feisty Hamilton at bay in the closing stages of the race. Usual commendable jobs from the Rosberg, Alonso and the two Red Bulls but other than the opening incident between Massa and Magnessen IMO hardly one of the greatest races this season. :/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:30 am

Well Hamilton isn't getting much luck is he? Although he did well to finish 3rd after starting so far back on the grid. Likewise with Massa, the accident didn't seem to be his fault, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Excellent result for Bottas and Williams.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:56 pm

The usual perception I believe is 'othing ever happens at Hungary, there is no overtaking and it is fairly boring' and initially with Rosberg leading away from Bottas you'd have thought this would be the case in 2014. However thanks to rain, crashes and a couple of safety car periods it really spiced things up to definitely make this race one of the highlights of the current season!

So many great drives out there it is tough to pick the best with Vergne (in the Torro Rosso) ligitimately holding up faster cars, Hamilton grabbing a surprising third from starting in the pit lane, Ricardo judging tyre wear and pit strategy to perfection and Alonso making his worn out tyres last much longer than was expected for a truly stunning second place. Factor in a hard charing Rosberg closing down this trio in the last few laps at an impossibily fast pace and it was truly excellent belter of a race with a nail-biting unexpected finish. Personally I'd give it to Alonso in a Ferrari that has hardly been that good all season but somehow this guy seems to get the maximum out of it in a way that Kimi seems to struggle although here he looked pretty feisty particularly dicing with Hamilton.

I think the Mercedes team got it wrong asking Hamilton to let Rosberg pass as clearly he wasn't fast enough in that segment of the race even though his tyre strategy worked best in the final stint. Would Rosberg getting past Hamilton have effected the top two Red Bull and Ferrari finishers, personally I doubt that but double points still pretty impressive particularly when you consider Hamilton's qualifying fire.

Radio 5 Live were a bit distracted early on with split attention between the start of the GP and a Scotland/South Africa rugby game where the United Kingdom side were totally woeful and seemed easily beaten. At least it didn't overtly delay getting back to the Formula One and I heard pretty much all that went on although it took a while to work out what was going on and how the race had started. Fortunately no first lap collision dramas this time round.

A fantastic race to take us into the summer break with plenty to savour and reflect on!
=D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:47 pm

Hungary was more interesting than usual, with plenty of overtaking by hard charging, top team, drivers after tyre changes. However Rosberg's failure to get passed Hamilton in the closing stages reinforced how difficult this track is. The contrast between Rosberg and Ricciardo, who is surely a future world champion, was stark. Rosberg may still win the drivers championship this year if Hamilton's "bad luck" continues.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:11 am

Well playmates it was certainly an eventful Belgian Grand Prix, partly for the wrong reasons. I initially thought that the coming together between Hamilton and Rosberg was a normal racing incident, however, the BBC reported that after the race Rosberg said that he had deliberately hit Hamilton "to prove a point". If this is true then the FIA ought to impose sanctions on him and possibly the team. We've had enough of that sort of dangerous racing in the past between Senna and Proust and of course Michael Schumacker. In fact it sounds as though Rosberg has attended the Schumacker school of how to win races and make enemies. Mercedes must be hopping mad about what happened as they started the race looking at a potential first and second place on the podium.
Apart from that it was a very enjoyable race being won by one of the sports gentleman, Daniel Ricciardo, who drove a faultless race and did just enough to keep away from the hard charging Rosberg until it didn't matter. Valtteri Bottas drove very well to come I third ahead of the rest. Not a bad result for McLaren with Button in sixth place.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:23 am

SubHuman wrote:Well playmates it was certainly an eventful Belgian Grand Prix, partly for the wrong reasons. I initially thought that the coming together between Hamilton and Rosberg was a normal racing incident, however, the BBC reported that after the race Rosberg said that he had deliberately hit Hamilton "to prove a point". If this is true then the FIA ought to impose sanctions on him and possibly the team. We've had enough of that sort of dangerous racing in the past between Senna and Proust and of course Michael Schumacker. In fact it sounds as though Rosberg has attended the Schumacker school of how to win races and make enemies. Mercedes must be hopping mad about what happened as they started the race looking at a potential first and second place on the podium.
Apart from that it was a very enjoyable race being won by one of the sports gentleman, Daniel Ricciardo, who drove a faultless race and did just enough to keep away from the hard charging Rosberg until it didn't matter. Valtteri Bottas drove very well to come I third ahead of the rest. Not a bad result for McLaren with Button in sixth place.

Well yes I'd add to that very good for Kimi Raikkonen with his best performance all season, so close to a podium. I was going to hand Kevin Magnussen the 'driver of the day' award seeing him dukeing it out with three world champions late in the race but given that he received penalty points and 20 sec time penalty by overstepping the mark defending his position against Fernando (Alonso) I think the honour will go elsewhere. Difficult to pick a best drive between Ricardo, Bottas and Raikkonen. Although good steady drive by Button to bag more points definitely shaded all weekend by his Danish rooky teammate.

Regarding the incident between Hamilton and Rosberg I feel it is indeed a 'racing incident' and there was no intent to wreck each others race from it. The Mercedes was over two seconds faster than the rest of the field, a one-two should have been a foregone conclusion and I am sure the drivers didn't intentionally want to damage that chance. Cannot understand why the team waited over twenty laps before retiring Hamilton whom was doing absolutely nothing on fresh rubber down in (approx) 15th place for most of the race. This might have a bearing on the rest of the season regarding possible retirements for Hamilton.

Once again Belgium delivered an excellent memorable weekend with lots of incident, controversy and entertainment... long may it stay on the calendar. Monza awaits us in less than two weeks!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:17 pm

Yes, Sarah, I certainly thought of the coming together as a racing incident when it happened, but it's evident that Mercedes think that Rosberg was at fault. Looking at the incident after the race it's clear that Rosberg initially made to turn away from Hamilton and then turned back, making it look deliberated. It's is hard to tell for sure though and the FIA may feel that as another team was not involved then it's something for Mercedes to sort out between their drivers. The trouble is though that if Mercedes don't deal with this properly we may have further racing incidents, between Rosberg and Hamilton, later in the season determining the 2014 driver's championship. This has certainly happened in the past and may bring the sport into disrepute.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:19 pm

I can only comment on what I heard happen as I tuned into Radio 5Live on Sunday afternoon but I'm sure when I look at the BBCiPlayer television footage it will support the photos that were in the national press the day after.

I'm sure Mercedes will manage the situation far better than for example what transpired between Hamilton and Alonso back in 2007.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:45 am

Italy offered up some fine 'recovery drives' from the grid as both Hamilton and Bottas (who I thought was truely awsome!) clawed back opening lap blunders for fine results. Of course the big question is was Rosberg's tyres going off far faster than his teammate or did he obey coded team orders to let Lewis back just to keep the championship battle alive? At the podium I think the fans made their opinion fairly clear on that!

Fantastic result for Williams Mercedes and great to see Massa up there on the podium. Well if the passionate Ferrari fans can't have their drivers up there then an ex-driver will do just as well, just wish I knew what Massa said to them as indeed did Jean Alesi (talking with the drivers up there) wondered. Will Fernando retiring and Kimi just about scraping into the points there was further upset with this race leading to Williams moving ahead in the constructors of Ferrari makes you wonder what those attending the race must be thinking about when it comes to shelling out for tickets for next years race.

Another great drive from Magnessen but oh dear Kevin you get another penalty, this really doesn't help in McLaren's fight with Force India for fifth place in the constructors. Good to see Ricardo passing Vettel for fifth but other than I don't think there is much else to talk about from a fairly entertaining but IMO hardly that memorable race.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:49 pm

While I was on holiday the Italian GP should have recorded but it didn't. So I'll read a race report in Motor Sport News. Good to hear that Hamilton won.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:00 pm

SubHuman wrote:While I was on holiday the Italian GP should have recorded but it didn't. So I'll read a race report in Motor Sport News. Good to hear that Hamilton won.

You could always catch it on BBCiPlayer! ;)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:50 am

sarah t wrote:
SubHuman wrote:While I was on holiday the Italian GP should have recorded but it didn't. So I'll read a race report in Motor Sport News. Good to hear that Hamilton won.

You could always catch it on BBCiPlayer! ;)

Yes I should have thought of that! The truth is I rarely watch iplayer now as once I have chosen a series to record the Sky+ box normally automatically records them all. However not this time there must have been a power cut or something at a crucial moment.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:59 am

Watched highlights of the Singapore Grand Prix, a great result for Hamilton. We should get a fight to the finish now between him and Rosberg, unless either of them get another DNF. Overtaking was very difficult there this year as evidenced by Alonso's not being able to get by Ricciardo. The Japanese Grand Prix will be hopefully more interesting.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:05 pm

Stunned to hear on the news early this morning that Vettel is leaving Red Bull at the end of the season (guess he was getting sick of Ricardo keep beating him this season :p )so he can join Ferrari in 2015. Shame it won't be him and Alonso next season as seems fairly likely that Fernando will be heading back to McLaren with Honda prepared to stump up the fee to be paid to release him from his Ferrari contract. Certainly will sadly see the end of Jenson Button's career =( but at least he has had given us plenty of excellent racing including his battling with Lewis and of course winning that title in 2009.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:55 pm

The Japanese GP was very processional at times although a few drivers managed to pull off stunning overtaking. Jules Bianchi's accident at the end of the race was very unfortunate, I do hope he makes a full recovery. Button demonstrated what a very good driver he is. Wrt Vettel leaving Red Bull he hasn't been happy with the new car all season and the other top teams should be closer to Mercedes next year. Apparently Ferrari made Vettel a very good offer that Red Bull couldn't or wouldn't match. As for the drivers championship it's too close to call.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:05 pm

Biggest surprise in Russia was the lack of tyre wear as typified by Rosberg managing to do almost the entire race distance on one set of tyres... that is after he had dumped the ones he flat spotted after getting it wrong off the grid. Got to say excellent recovery performance from Nico to make his way through the field to eventually finish second and somehow fending off a particularly feisty Bottas in the Williams whom yet again bags another podium. Good showing from the McLaren boys, their best this year but other than that nothing else comes to mind as there was really no way Hamilton was not going to take the win... lights to flag just made it look far tooooooo easy for me (yawn!).

I got to see a couple of YouTube clips in the run up to Sundays race but didn't really get a good feel of the general layout of the circuit but don't think it was all that special or memorable.

That is the constructors title easily rapped up now the last three races beginning with Austin, Texas in three weeks time we'll see what will happen in the drivers but can't really see Hamilton losing it now!
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:14 pm

So end of season is upon us... I guess I'll turn the radio on to hear how Hamilton takes the title, IMO pretty much foregone conclusion despite double points on offer. I haven't bothered with the previous two races what will two teams dropping out and lots of driver penalties flying about. Guess it is worth checking out Abu Dhabi GP as it does seem likely that it is the final race for Jenson Button if McLaren's continued dithering in confirming the 2015 driver line-up is any indication. Shame really with his testing and racing experience, comfortable outscoring Kevin this year and looking stronger over recent races but it has been a good fifteen year run which does include that 2009 title. Seems likely that Hamilton will be the only Brit on the grid in 2015 which is got to be bad for Silverstone next year =(
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:41 am

So Lewis Hamilton has won his second driver's championship after beating Nico Rosberg off the line. It was always going to be difficult for Rosberg after that and then his car problems made Lewis's race so much easier. Great result for Williams with two drivers on the podium. Next season promises to be very interesting as the other top teams should be that much closer to Mercedes.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:53 am

Great to hear this announced today...

Susie Wolff will step up to a test driver role at Williams, contesting two Friday practice sessions in 2015.

With Williams' 2014 test driver, Felipe Nasr, signing with Sauber for next year's Championship, Wolff has earned a promotion within the team.

The former development driver will not only be entrusted with conducting extensive simulator testing of the FW37 but will also take part in two Friday sessions in the Mercedes-powered car.

Another step forward hopefully for her to get a full season race seat or worst case scenario for either Massa or Bottas she might actually step into compete in a race in 2015!
sarah t

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion