Motorsport 2014 - Formula One

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Motorsport 2014 - Formula One

Postby sarah t » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:12 am

Guess we need to have a new thread as the season grows ever closer...

NB (SubHuman maybe this is where the calendar should go?)
sarah t

Re: Motorsport 2014 - Formula One

Postby SubHuman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:26 am

sarah t wrote:Guess we need to have a new thread as the season grows ever closer...

NB (SubHuman maybe this is where the calendar should go?)

Oh yes! Doh

It's just 26 days until the start of the Gran Prix season. :)

Calendar:-

01 Australian GP 16 Mar
02 Malaysian GP 30 Mar
03 Bahrain GP 06 Apr
04 Chinese GP 20 Apr
05 Spanish GP 11 May
06 Monaco GP 25 May
07 Canadian GP 08 Jun
08 Austrian GP 22 Jun
09 British GP 06 Jul
10 German GP 20 Jul
11 Hungarian GP 27 Jul
12 Belgian GP 24 Aug
13 Italian GP 07 Sep
14 Singapore GP 21 Sep
15 Japanese GP 05 Oct
16 Russian GP 12 Oct
17 US GP 02 Nov
18 Brazilian GP 09 Nov
19 Abu Dhabi GP 23 Nov
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:30 am

Does anyone know what the latest buzz from the teams is? I've rather lost touch over the closed season.

I gather that Renault have had serious engine problems.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:04 pm

SubHuman wrote:Does anyone know what the latest buzz from the teams is? I've rather lost touch over the closed season.

I gather that Renault have had serious engine problems.

You can't read too much into the current testing sessions but at the moment the Mercedes powered teams are strong, in particular McLaren and the works team. Ferrari teams are reasonably alright but the Renault teams and in particular Red Bull are definitely struggling with the current constructors so far having done the least testing mileage of any of the teams. I don't think there is any real pecking order at present but I guess most fans will be hoping that we will see some sort of shaking up of the order and hopefully a new drivers/constructors winner by the end of the season.

The cars definitely look (and sound different) but I guess all the talk will focus on each teams different interpretation of the regulation changes for 2014. Ferrari looks like an elephant, Lotus looks like a tuning fork, Williams looks like a dolphin and one or two others (Caterham and Torro Rosso) have (depending on your point of view) a rather censored conotation to what they have done to the front of their cars. 2014 F1 cars also certainly sound very different from last year from the YouTube clips on offer from eagle eyed fans attending the testing sessions.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks Sarah, it certainly sounds as though we will have a more interesting spectacle this season than last.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:37 pm

I like the new Williams Martini livery but am disappointed that, at least for the first few races McLaren will compete without a title sponsor. Rather plain looking, bit like the Brawn of 2009... let's hope that is a good omen!
:)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:39 am

So Hamilton's on pole for the Australian Gran Prix. The big talking point is whether any of the Renault powered cars will actually finish given the poor reliability in pre-season testing? I'm just hoping the new boys won't do anything daft at the start. It should be a fascinating first race of the season.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:22 pm

Australia was an interesting Gran Prix, a shame about Lewis's power pack trouble that saw him retire. And Vettel, well it was about time he had some bad luck. Rosberg drove a very good race and wasn't seriously troubled by anyone else to take a great victory. Bodes well for Mercedes engined cars this year. Mercedes powered cars filled five of the first seven places with Magnussen and Button doing well. It was also a good drive by Ricciardo, it remains to be seen what will happen about Red Bull's appeal against his disqualification, for the technical infringement of the new fuel flow regulations. Red Bull are saying that the FIA supplied fuel monitors are unreliable and that their independent flow measuring shows that they didn't infringe the regs. Also Renault must be relieved that some of the cars powered by their engines got to the finish. And finally a great rooky drive by Magnussen to finish on the podium.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:02 pm

I switched off whe LH retired.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:06 am

JJ wrote:I switched off whe LH retired.

You missed great drives by Jensen Button and Bottas (not a typo).
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:04 pm

Yes got to watch the BBC extended highlights program VHS taped by my Oxfam bookshop volunteer friend Andrew last night.

Fantastic debut from Magnussen, seemed to not put a foot wrong all weekend. Jenson did good to finish behind him. Very impressed with young Russian Kvyet in the Torro Rosso but for me the 'driver of the (race) day' has got to be Bottas. Just think what he could have achieved if he hadn't had that tiny brush with the wall!
:)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Not expecting too much from McLaren this weekend, the car is sporting a new nose and running Esso sponsor logos this week but are struggling at Sepang. Guess this is going to be another weekend that I play catch up, probably Wednesday of next week I'll catch the highlights on BBCiPlayer. It will be better for me when the season gets to Europe and I'll catch races live on BBC Radio 5 Live.
:/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Once again it's Mercedes that look best but Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren aren't far behind. The high temperatures may result in many retirements with reliability issues, there is a 60% chance of rain.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:24 pm

SubHuman wrote:Once again it's Mercedes that look best but Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren aren't far behind. The high temperatures may result in many retirements with reliability issues, there is a 60% chance of rain.

Rain would be good as it would make things far more unpredictable but hopefully not like it was in 2009!
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:23 am

Watching highlights of Malaysian GP whilst typing this. Good early racing between the Williams and shame about Kimi's puncture.

Good close racing between Button and Massa, evenly matched teams this race as they were in the season opener.

Loved the pit to car radio to both drivers of Bottas being told that he is faster than Massa, shades of past Ferrari days!

However the result was never in doubt although worrying to see Vettel back on the podium once more. I think we all want to see a more open season than of previous years where the German driver ran away with it.
:/
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:11 am

sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake but I've just twigged because the Bahrain GP has a race start time of 4.00pm UK time this makes it the first event of the 2014 season that I will be able to enjoy as it happens thanks to BBC radio5LiveExtra this sunday afternoon! =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:47 pm

sarah t wrote:sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake but I've just twigged because the Bahrain GP has a race start time of 4.00pm UK time this makes it the first event of the 2014 season that I will be able to enjoy as it happens thanks to BBC radio5LiveExtra this sunday afternoon! =D

There will be highlights on BBC 2 which I shall record and watch later. I think the track will suit Mercedes with their superior power train and very good drivers. I'm expecting Red Bull to struggle and maybe Ferrari and McLaren will be able to beat them. Still Vettel does have the luck of the devil so perhaps an upset is on the cards
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:21 pm

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake but I've just twigged because the Bahrain GP has a race start time of 4.00pm UK time this makes it the first event of the 2014 season that I will be able to enjoy as it happens thanks to BBC radio5LiveExtra this sunday afternoon! =D

There will be highlights on BBC 2 which I shall record and watch later. I think the track will suit Mercedes with their superior power train and very good drivers. I'm expecting Red Bull to struggle and maybe Ferrari and McLaren will be able to beat them. Still Vettel does have the luck of the devil so perhaps an upset is on the cards

Don't discount Williams of Massa and Bottas for a strong result and possibly Hulkenberg as well
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:24 am

So Rosberg is on pole with Hamilton second then Ricciardo. Sarah, Bottas was a good call, and where is Vettel, oh dear never mind. Should make for an interesting race: will Hamilton overtake Rosberg at the start, or be taken off by a hard charging Ricciardo? Will Vettel get past Button as the race goes on? Will Alonso end up winning, or it could be a boring procession.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:38 pm

Bahrain GP turned out to be a real cracker! good teammate fights between Mercedes drivers, between Williams drivers, between Force India drivers... just what we want. Bit of a brain fade for Maldinardo, should have got more of a penalty that 10 sec stop and go for causing the Sauber to flip over his Lotus. Good to see Vettel struggling particularly against his teammate.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:57 am

Yes Bahrain was really good for Mercedes and for Gran Prix racing in general, we actually got to see some proper motor racing even between team mates. Put that in your pipe and smoke it Ferrari. Just remembered a piece from It'll be Alright on the Night, a little girl is being interviewed about sport "yes I know it's supposed to be pronounced Gran Pree, but is says Gran Pricks"!

On a more serious note the number of non-finishers at Bahrain was rather alarming, particularly for McLaren, lets hope it was mainly down to the high temperatures at the circuit.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:55 am

So Stefano Domenicali has resigned, what a pity, a genuinely nice guy in a tough sport. The smart money is on Ross Brawn returning to Ferrari at the end of the season.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:39 am

SubHuman wrote:So Stefano Domenicali has resigned, what a pity, a genuinely nice guy in a tough sport. The smart money is on Ross Brawn returning to Ferrari at the end of the season.

Well good riddence considering his 'taxi driver' reference for the 2014 Bahrain GP. Ross Brawn to return??? Personally I think he is enjoying his retirement too much but then I guess anything is possible in the unpredictable of off track Formula One!
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:49 am

China is another race I'll be playing catch up as I failed to meet up with my good friend Andrew yesterday to ask him, as I'll miss it live on the radio, to video tape the BBC TV highlights. Hope to see the action on BBCiPlayer at some point mid way through next week. At least after China we get into Europe and I'll be able to follow what's going on a bit closer! :/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:35 pm

Apparently Christian Horner is spicing up his life by stepping out with new girlfriend Geri Halliwell. Is this to take his mind off of Red Bull's poor start to the current season.

Any way come on Lewis for China.
SubHuman

Next

Return to General discussion