read all about it! -magazines & newspapers

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

read all about it! -magazines & newspapers

Postby sarah t » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:13 am

restless night again, up about 1.00am this morning and over the next two hours put this together...

Well I guess once more ‘the clue is in the title’ for this thread! I suppose most people don’t have the time or focus, myself included to read a paperback/hardback book and the only ‘printed matter’ items that gain attention in our fast paced stressful modern lives are magazines and newspapers whether it be buy, borrow or browse at a newsagent/supermarket or other outlet like public libraries.

For me however there is only one essential purchase each month and that is Doctor Who Magazine which I primarily buy for the extensive product review/preview section. I guess that’s no surprise as I’m sure you are aware that I am a seasoned veteran fan of the Time Lord stretching back to the first story I watched on its original UK transmission, Jon Pertwee’s final epic, a story with creepy spiders inferred as eating people. I share the rare distinction of my birthday falling on the exact day that the final episode of the Patrick Troughton story ‘The Macra Terror’ was transmitted in the UK on BBC1.

I expect from time to time we all do the ‘flicking through magazines’ in retail outlets just to pass a few minutes before moving onto what we were going to do. For me this is mostly the film and classic television titles, the latter sometimes have reviews of full cast audio plays that I’ve bought. In such an instant I’ll whip out the digital camera, take a picture and use it in a suitably sized Word document to be printed and laminated to fit inside the case (for my own personal reference use)… much more sensible than paying the large amount for the magazine when all I want is a small square of paper.

For me newspapers require more time which is where I find that the city libraries are the best place. Personally I prefer, in this order, The Guardian, The Times, The Independent and Daily Telegraph most days of the week. I find that the Telegraph and Times have particularly good sports sections, particularly the latter which, now that I’ve become a bit more interested in it, has a very comprehensive football section on a Monday. I have no interest in the so called ‘red top’ titles of Daily Mirror, The Sun and Daily Star and do not share my parents favoured opinion of The Daily Mail which I personally think is a load of rubbish. I used to occasionally buy the Daily Express but their continually gloomy outlook on most subjects and excessive advertising has lead me to lose interest in that paper.

Other than ‘Music Week’ each Thursday (a title that the central library takes) I don’t take too much interest in the music press although the fairly new ‘Classic Pop’ seems distinctly tailored to my (and I suspect a great many people on this forum) listening interest. Yes it does seem that £4.99 per issue is fairly steep but when you consider it only comes out once every two months then each four weeks is only half that I guess it is good value for money for the wide range of subjects they cover. Definitely a title to monitor seeing what they come up with for each issue.

The weekly Motorsport News has recently been brought to my attention, not a title I was aware of but it seems to offer fairly good comprehensive Formula One coverage although its use of colour and layout is I feel somewhat overpowering. Bit pricey and I guess you have to possess a wide ranging interest in motorsport and not just Formula One like myself. I regularly flick through each weeks Autosport magazine but generally have a rule of not buying it, unless of course Jenson Button wins a Formula One race so I’ve been having quite a cheap time of late!

Lastly let’s not forget the City’s ‘local rag’, the Southern Daily Echo, the six days a week paper which I think, for what it contains, is rather overpriced at 65p per weekday (80p for a Saturday edition). One point in its favour is it does offer good local football coverage of teams like Southampton (‘Saints’) and Eastleigh (‘Spitfires’), both of whom I currently take a keen interest in… both on and off the pitch, the former currently grappling with their present financial accounts situation.

over to you guys! ;)
sarah t

Re: read all about it! -magazines & newspapers

Postby sarah t » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:19 am

oh before I hand it over another bit from last night...

Still fairly new and with, I believe, its unique publication of a new issue every two months ‘Classic Pop’ magazine presents a fresh distinctive approach to music journalism focusing entirely on the seemingly constant interest in the ‘eighties, electronic, eclectic’. There always seems to be a great eye-catching cover and the surprising sight of Howard Jones, Glen Gregory (Heaven 17), Thomas Dolby and Neil Arthur (Blancmange) certainly peaked my curiosity. Added to that my attention is drawn to the top right corner with mention of Tom Bailey (Thompson Twins) and Human League.

I was flipping through the initial pages looking at some of the small news items and a few things caught my eye. That surprising picture of five piece Spandau Ballet in early 80s kit standing in a busy American street was unexpected as indeed was the news that they were about to go and ‘give a first US concert since 1985’. The prospect of a documentary film ‘Soul Boys of the Western World’ sounds intriguing and I’m wondering just what will this be covering, what will it include and how long will it be in running time. To my knowledge it is not something that is on general release in cinemas in the UK.

On the same page 10 I liked the ‘one hit wonder’ piece written by Ian Peel about Trio song ‘Da Da Da’ which I’m sure infuriated many people back in the summer of 1982. Personally I rather like it! Sounds like the kind of act that perhaps Matthew Rudd on Absolute 80s DAB radio show ‘Forgotten 80s’ would perhaps know more about. Flicking over to page 15 and I was surprised that a third album by Haircut 100 is being planned. I remember how successful the ‘Bands Reunited’ VH1 show was in proving that the performing magic of the six was, in my opinion, still there and as long as they have the song writing genius of Nick Hayward on board it should hopefully be well worth waiting for. ‘Pelican West’ is definitely one of my favourite albums but without Nick it just doesn’t work as indicated by the forgotten ‘Paint On Paint’ second offering.

So I’ve reached the ‘Sythpop Summit’ (pages 24-31) article and apart from more welcome photos of our four front cover pop stars I liked the introductory piece on page 26. Some interesting revelations and recollections during their conversation make for a worthy coming together of music icons. The following six pages given over to a ‘Top 40 of Synthpop singles’ offers a few interesting selections, a few favourites of mine but as to their positions in the chart I’m not sure I’d agree with their decisions. I like the interview with Sophie Ellis-Bextor (pages 40-43) with journalist Ian Peel clearly having done some research about her back catalogue and talks about songs from past albums as well as the more recent fifth album ‘Wanderlust’, the one that frankly I’m not totally sure about. The cover artwork, the feel of the album and general luke warm reviews have left me feeling rather reticent about dipping into my pocket to grab this even though places like ASDA have been discounting it heavily where it is currently only £7. Seems like Sophie is another high profile successful pop artist whom has elected to leave a major label and set up on her own following the trend set by Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys and Duran Duran to name a recent few.

I welcome a new exclusive interview with former Thompson Twins front man Tom Bailey, rather shocked with his current short greying hair and glasses persona, quite a change from the rat tailed red head of videos like ‘Lay Your Hands On Me’ and ‘King For A Day’. I like the career timeline on offer refreshing in my mind musically all that he has achieved since 1981, it’s a good informative well written article telling me where he has been, where he is and what he has planned for the future and I was surprised and intrigued to read that he has new studio tracks ready for release. Can he recapture the creative glory days of Thompson Twins and Babble?… it will be interesting to find out where he is musically at this point in time! The song writing genius of Vince Clarke cannot be underestimated and I welcome a feature on his five decades in the music business (pages 54-61) touching on Depeche Mode, Yazoo, The Assembly and Erasure again backed with a useful career timeline. Marvellous to get a new interview article with Neil Arthur (pages 64-69) which makes for an enjoyable read, although I was not aware of co-member Stephen Luscombe having an illness restricting his movement, does anyone know about this and is there a cure/is he getting better??? I think there has been for quite some time a much mooted new album in the works (apparently now completed) but I was surprised to hear that their debut album Happy Families has been re-recorded but didn’t get too excited because of the frankly bizarre decision to restrict its distribution to only 1000 copies available solely at live gigs.

Lastly apart from a fairly savage review of the Strange Cruise album on page 107 I’m delighted to see a ‘The Lowdown’ feature on Soft Cell gracing pages 76 to 79, blond hair I think suits Marc Almond. Some good choices although I would have included ‘Torch’ in the ‘Essential Singles’ section, particularly in 12” form. It’s a shame that there is no more from Almond and Ball after 2002’s ‘Cruelty Without Beauty’ album but that in itself was unexpected so life tells you that you can never say never about returning music artists.
:)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:14 am

I thought Tim Jonze' interview with Bjorn Ulvaeus and Frida Lyngstad of ABBA (from todays g2 The Guardian) was a good interesting four page read. Third paragraph to last has Bjorn teasing readers and fans alike when he said, in response to a possible reunion ¨Nothing's planned and it would have to be something very special, but yes, why not?¨
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:03 pm

sarah t wrote:I thought Tim Jonze' interview with Bjorn Ulvaeus and Frida Lyngstad of ABBA (from todays g2 The Guardian) was a good interesting four page read. Third paragraph to last has Bjorn teasing readers and fans alike when he said, in response to a possible reunion ¨Nothing's planned and it would have to be something very special, but yes, why not?¨

I think the media friendly three: Benny, Bjorn and Frida would be up for a reunion but there seems little chance of crowd shy Agnetha wanting to have anything to do with it.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:12 am

Seems like a long time since Jenson Button last graced the cover of Autosport so it was a pleasant surprise to find him there on this weeks issue. Flicking through I thought it was a good four page article (pages 16-19) which I speed read in WH Smiths before heading up to the library. It is interesting to note that JB whom does'nt particularly need the money (being a former World Champion is probably part of it) has only a one year contract for 2014. It is not a simple matter of signing on the dotted line to extend his stay at McLaren given that 2015 will see Honda come in as engine supplier and they no doubt would like a two/three year commitment... Jenson is suitably retisent to state his intentions at this point in the season, in fact why should he. That is something he'll be thinking of towards the latter part of 2014. pages 20 & 21 effectively 'bring you up to speed' on all the essential stats (poles, laps led, podiums) and career highlights which further goes to illustrate why he is such a valued driver at the moment. Kevin is indeed learning a great deal from him but it won't last forever. Much that I am a Jenson fan I am well aware that there will come a point where he will walk away from F1, I just hope this happens when he is at the top of his game like for example Gerhard Berger (that 1997 German GP was stunning!) and not leave it too late like Damon Hill in 1999 when it became rather painful to see some of his woeful performances that year (France and Japan spring to mind!)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:20 am

A couple of the UK papers (The Guardian, The Times) have reported on the forthcoming Star Wars VII film which begins filming at Pinewood Studios in May. Interesting photo in both papers of cast members & JJ Abrams talking about the project. Having 'familiar faces' in the cast to 'recapture the spirit of the original trilogy' seems like a good move I think.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:50 pm

sarah t wrote:A couple of the UK papers (The Guardian, The Times) have reported on the forthcoming Star Wars VII film which begins filming at Pinewood Studios in May. Interesting photo in both papers of cast members & JJ Abrams talking about the project. Having 'familiar faces' in the cast to 'recapture the spirit of the original trilogy' seems like a good move I think.

Another Star Wars film? Talk about milking it, these days I've rather lost interest in this series, ditto Lord of the Rings. There was a spoof book Bored of the Rings!
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:56 pm

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:A couple of the UK papers (The Guardian, The Times) have reported on the forthcoming Star Wars VII film which begins filming at Pinewood Studios in May. Interesting photo in both papers of cast members & JJ Abrams talking about the project. Having 'familiar faces' in the cast to 'recapture the spirit of the original trilogy' seems like a good move I think.

Another Star Wars film? Talk about milking it, these days I've rather lost interest in this series, ditto Lord of the Rings. There was a spoof book Bored of the Rings!

Normally I would tend to agree with you there but considering that JJ Abrams is involved I wouldn't be too quick to write it off. Afterall I think he did pretty well reviving the Star Trek movie franchise and gave the Mission Impossible series a great 'shot in the arm'
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Wed May 07, 2014 11:59 am

reading in The Times today I was astonished by the story of a 23-year-old man found floating on a makeshift raft (6 pieces of broken up crate wood and piece of white sheet attached to a metal pole) found floating just outside.

Astonished he was not killed when drifting into one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world.

I wonder what happened to him when he returned to Calais!
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat May 17, 2014 12:59 pm

Never bother buying the Southern Daily Echo local paper but had to make an exception today. There is a 24 page Season Review of Southampton's premier league football season including the usual double page position plotter and marks out of ten for each player whom has represented the 'Saints' over the 2013/14 season. I'll be back in the Oxfam bookshop next Wednesday when fellow volunteer (and season ticket holder) Mark will be there. Doubt he will have bought the paper so he can have a look at my copy whilst I am there.
sarah t

Postby Aylett 67 » Sun May 18, 2014 1:18 pm

I find the redtops, with the exception of the Daily Mirror, totally trashy and banal. Who is really bothered about Katie Price having a new boyfriend, The X Factor, last night's Coronation St and TOWIE? I do actually remember when the Daily Star when it was edited by Derek Jameson being quite readable.
Aylett 67

Postby sarah t » Tue May 20, 2014 1:37 pm

After all the relative excitment of the 'Synth Pop' issue featuring the four person round-table discussion and an article on our favourite album "Dare!" the new issue of Classic Pop Magazine seems, for me at least, to be a bit of a let down. With Kate Bush on the cover (and article regarding her forthcoming tour) I'm not overly excited at the further prospect within its pages of a feature on Kylie and the featured album being Duran Duran's second longplayer "Rio", an album that I feel I already know far too much about thanks in part to the 'Classic Albums' making of DVD that I bought a few years ago.

I'll flick through this mag in a newsagent but certainly don't feel that it warrents me 'dipping my hand into my pocket' to buy a copy! :/
sarah t

Postby Aylett 67 » Sun May 25, 2014 3:05 pm

sarah t wrote:After all the relative excitment of the 'Synth Pop' issue featuring the four person round-table discussion and an article on our favourite album "Dare!" the new issue of Classic Pop Magazine seems, for me at least, to be a bit of a let down. With Kate Bush on the cover (and article regarding her forthcoming tour) I'm not overly excited at the further prospect within its pages of a feature on Kylie and the featured album being Duran Duran's second longplayer "Rio", an album that I feel I already know far too much about thanks in part to the 'Classic Albums' making of DVD that I bought a few years ago.

I'll flick through this mag in a newsagent but certainly don't feel that it warrents me 'dipping my hand into my pocket' to buy a copy! :/

Would definitely buy it if it had a feature on the Human League and interviews with the band, whose interviews I always find witty and interesting.
Aylett 67

Postby sarah t » Tue May 27, 2014 10:16 am

Aylett 67 wrote:
sarah t wrote:After all the relative excitment of the 'Synth Pop' issue featuring the four person round-table discussion and an article on our favourite album "Dare!" the new issue of Classic Pop Magazine seems, for me at least, to be a bit of a let down. With Kate Bush on the cover (and article regarding her forthcoming tour) I'm not overly excited at the further prospect within its pages of a feature on Kylie and the featured album being Duran Duran's second longplayer "Rio", an album that I feel I already know far too much about thanks in part to the 'Classic Albums' making of DVD that I bought a few years ago.

Would definitely buy it if it had a feature on the Human League and interviews with the band, whose interviews I always find witty and interesting.

I would tend to agree with you, possibly the only way of justifying IMO the high publication price
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:23 am

Found this link to a cheaper subscription for Classic Pop Magazine:-

http://www.magazine.co.uk/magazines/cla ... magazine~e
SubHuman

Return to General discussion