Euro elections

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Euro elections

Postby Aylett 67 » Sun May 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Anyone else voting on Thursday? Looking at the list of candidates for the North West, I have decided to choose the Pirate Party, a civil liberties/ liberal type party that campaigns against excessive government surveillance and outdated coyright laws as well as being centre left on economics. I know probably they'll not get many votes but they do seem to be an ideal home for liberals like me with nowhere to go.
However, while obviously it is a matter of choice, please be very careful if you consider voting for UKIP. I know a lot of people can't stand the three main parties and will be voting UKIP as a protest, this party contains people who think gays should be shot, have openly racist members and have a policy on Europe that would be a disaster for this country. I do remember a local UKIP branch holding a meeting in the pub and I heard the n word used twice and constant comments and jokes about black people and foreigners. I'd say avoid.
Aylett 67

Re: Euro elections

Postby SubHuman » Mon May 19, 2014 10:33 am

Not really a topic for most of us and I've already voted by post.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon May 19, 2014 12:52 pm

I think 'politics' and 'religion' are two no-go topics of conversation both on forums and in life in general... however yes I probably will be voting on Thursday primarily because it is local elections. At present should it come to a General Election I really don't think I would bother voting for any of them!
=|
sarah t

Postby Danny C » Mon May 19, 2014 6:41 pm

I am hugely pro-Europe and will be enthusastically voting Lib Dem on Thursday. The only party with the cojones to make a positive case for Europe.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby Aylett 67 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:38 pm

Danny C wrote:I am hugely pro-Europe and will be enthusastically voting Lib Dem on Thursday. The only party with the cojones to make a positive case for Europe.

I think the main problem a lot of people who were Clegg fans 4 years ago now have is he seems to have sold out on issues like tuition fees and not done enough to stop policies like the bedroom tax. However, probably in the main election next year, when I usually only get three choices, this is the party I'll go for. The Pirate Party one is more of a protest from me and also some of their views on government surveillance, accountability and issues like outsourcing are worth listening to.
Aylett 67

Postby sarah t » Tue May 20, 2014 10:54 am

If we are 'nailing colours to the mast', I will be as usual voting Labour
sarah t

Postby Danny C » Tue May 20, 2014 11:28 am

Aylett 67 wrote:I think the main problem a lot of people who were Clegg fans 4 years ago now have is he seems to have sold out on issues like tuition fees and not done enough to stop policies like the bedroom tax.

And that is not a wholly unreasonable position to take, although I think people expect too much of a party with less than 60 MPs, so far as curbing the excesses of a party with more than 300 MPs is concerned.

With that said, these are the Euro elections, and tuition fees and bedroom tax are nothing to do with that.

Aylett 67 wrote:However, probably in the main election next year, when I usually only get three choices, this is the party I'll go for. The Pirate Party one is more of a protest from me and also some of their views on government surveillance, accountability and issues like outsourcing are worth listening to.

As a civil libertarian, I too am attracted by some of the Pirate Party's views, and they are infinitely more attractive as a protest vote than the xenophobes, homophobes and Little Englander racists in UKIP.
Danny C

Postby Aylett 67 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:01 pm

Danny C wrote:
Aylett 67 wrote:I think the main problem a lot of people who were Clegg fans 4 years ago now have is he seems to have sold out on issues like tuition fees and not done enough to stop policies like the bedroom tax.

And that is not a wholly unreasonable position to take, although I think people expect too much of a party with less than 60 MPs, so far as curbing the excesses of a party with more than 300 MPs is concerned.

With that said, these are the Euro elections, and tuition fees and bedroom tax are nothing to do with that.

Aylett 67 wrote:However, probably in the main election next year, when I usually only get three choices, this is the party I'll go for. The Pirate Party one is more of a protest from me and also some of their views on government surveillance, accountability and issues like outsourcing are worth listening to.

As a civil libertarian, I too am attracted by some of the Pirate Party's views, and they are infinitely more attractive as a protest vote than the xenophobes, homophobes and Little Englander racists in UKIP.

Yup, to me the Pirate Party are attractive, but obviously next year, where Copeland usually has the three main parties standing and the BNP as an alternative, I think it will be Lib Dem to stop the two main parties behaving like they're out of control and to make a more democratic government.
Aylett 67

Postby SubHuman » Thu May 22, 2014 1:28 pm

Danny C wrote:I am hugely pro-Europe and will be enthusastically voting Lib Dem on Thursday. The only party with the cojones to make a positive case for Europe.

I used to be very pro-Europe but these days Europe as one political entity is looking like a busted flush. The Southern European countries have a huge amount of corruption with wide spread fraud and The EU seems to lack the collective will to do anything about it. So I am vey sceptic that in the long term the EU will be able to carry on as it is currently constituted. Not that I am voting for UKIP.
SubHuman

Postby Danny C » Thu May 22, 2014 4:50 pm

I completely agree that the EU needs reform. Although corruption within the EU itself probably isn't as big an issue as you think.
Danny C

Postby Aylett 67 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:18 pm

I've just been down to vote and much as the Pirate Party look attractive, I decided on the Lib Dems in the end, as they have more chance and for all they're going through a rough time at the moment, are the main alternative to the two main parties for me and a vote for them is one less for UKIP.
Aylett 67

Return to General discussion