The all purpose 'Holiday' thread

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

The all purpose 'Holiday' thread

Postby sarah t » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:28 pm

I thought it was a good idea to have an ‘all purpose holiday thread’ to cover past, present and (possible) future vacations whether they be good or bad. Anything worth praising, recommending or possibly relating a bad experience you’ve had with hotel, means of travel or destination?

As thread starter I suppose I should go first although, and this is probably why I’ve been slow to propose such a thread, my holiday experience is fairly limited and all part of family trips now such a very long time ago so recollections are beginning to get rather hazy in my mind.

Earliest memories would be family holidays to South Wales during the 1970s, quite a few years spent at a caravan park accessed up a very long winding tree lined driveway. Being fairly regular we managed to hire the same fixed position caravan each time and I remember the grounds quite vast and predominately tree covered with a central large pub, shop and post office facilities and spending the odd evening up at the largest building with family drinking cola in the saloon bar. Reasonably short drive to a nearby beach (one occasion submerged below the waves and swallowed rather too much sea water), my dad was for many years a Ford man with Cortina and Granada estate cars which I recall had the eight track cartridge in car entertainment option, the first thing I remember hearing would be early Abba.

I vaguely remember a holiday cottage in France and at one point listening to a Soft Cell album on audio cassette in the kitchen. Early 87 my Mum and I joined my Dad on a business trip to India which was a round trip of Deli, Calcutta, Bangalore (where my dad and I planted a tree at a company business site!) and Bombay (now Mumbai). We got to visit the Taj Mahal, Calcutta was quite a culture shock (particularly after a dusty day travelling through the city centre, returning to the hotel, switching on the TV and watching the Yorkshire Dales of ‘All Creatures Great and Small’), internal flights back then were an absolute joke spending about seven nocturnal hours waiting for the plane from Bangalore in the south and then barely sleeping any time in the Bombay hotel before an 8.00am flight back to the UK. Other notable family trips include America three times (1981, 1984 and 1991), which featured New York, Washington, Miami, Florida Keys (all the way down to Key West), Las Vegas and San Francisco

Not much of a start to this thread but I’m sure you guys can do better than me.
:)
sarah t

Re: The all purpose 'Holiday' thread

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:13 am

Well, I've had lots of holidays, some recent, others a long time ago. I'll try to recall a few, but at the moment I'm looking forward to this year's holiday in the Peak District, in September. Fingers crossed that the weather is kind to us.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:25 am

Thinking about this thread, in the past, when I've had a large mortgage, we used to do "holidays from home". I would take a week off of work, in the school holidays, and every day we would pack the children into the car, with their toys, and have a day out. Sometimes to the seaside or to the Bristol downs or Cheddar etc. Sometimes these were better holidays than going away, as you knew you had everything you needed at home without having to visit unfamiliar shops. We enjoy this type of holiday so much that most years, even if we go away, we also have a week like this going off to do walks in the countryside. We are lucky in that we only live an hours drive from the Cotswolds, the Mendips and Salisbury Plain, and only an hour and a half from the New Forrest, Dorset and the Somerset Levels.
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:08 pm

I'm sure I can think of much more for later, and I've enjoyed learning about both of your trips. For myself, as a very young child, three come to mind. One was a trip to Mexico, and my oldest brother collected sea shells from the gulf. We were all in the back seat (4 children!) and he'd put the shells on the back dash next to the back window. Suddenly one shell starts walking, with long skinny legs! I screamed and my mother yelled at my brother to throw it out the window! When he'd try to pick it up, all the legs would come out and he'd drop it and we all screamed! Finally my mom handed him a piece of cardboard for it to walk onto, and then he finally tossed it out! The other was a trip to Tennessee, to visit a great aunt. She was in the back seat with several of us children, when my sister Sandra, who always got motion sickness, started hurling all over my aunt! I was so grossed out and trying to plaster myself next to the car door, but I was most amazed at my aunt, who was getting thrown-up on, saying, "Poor little thing! Poor little thing!" and I just kept thinking, "I don't know how you aren't jumping out of your seat!!" We stopped at a store and my mother bought my sister a new outfit, and I remember her washing out my sister's other dress in a nearby stream! I don't remember how my aunt went about getting cleaned up, nor do I recall anything else about it...! The last one, again, I was very young, and we were visiting my mom's family, and she'd grown up on a farm. At this time, we were actually at one of the neighbor's houses, which was a farm too. Well, one of them decided that they had too many dogs roaming around the yard, and he took out a gun and shot and killed one! It was awful, and my mom came out and really yelled at the boys for killing it in front of me! I remember that!!
The Earth Smiles In Flowers - e.e. cummings
Sandrine 7557

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:24 pm

Sandrine killing a dog in front of a child sounds like the intro to a horror movie, "Hillbillys on the Rampage".
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:37 pm

haha, good one Dave! (and it was not an easy death.)
The Earth Smiles In Flowers - e.e. cummings
Sandrine 7557

Return to General discussion