catchphrases & sayings... what's yours?

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

catchphrases & sayings... what's yours?

Postby sarah t » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:28 pm

'Well thanks for asking... mine's a pint' would probably be the flipant answer to this :lol:

But seriously a favourite saying of mine if I am feeling rather ambivilant about something but don't want to upset the person who is passionate about it I will usually say 'whatever floats your boat'.

Anyone got anything they regularly say like a favourite catchphrase and a word that they particularly like using quite a lot from time to time or regularly? Perhaps this thread could also include supersitions like the lukcy one of 'throwing salt over your left shoulder' to ward off the devil.

Hopefully this is a good one for you Sandrine?
:) ;)
sarah t

Re: catchphrases & sayings... what's yours?

Postby SubHuman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:54 am

Haven't got any that I use regularly but some favourites of mine used by friends and relatives are:

By my maternal grandfather - "he's as honest as the day is long".

By a friend - "Where there's a will there's a relative".

"They become good friends by spontaneous combustion".

"That's no lady that's my wife".

There are others but it's getting late.
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi Sarah, Dave! Some of those sayings are funny, Dave... Gosh my saying isn't clever or funny, but it's one that lets me get a Grip on whatever is going on that annoys or dismays me, and that's: "It Is What It Is". When I say that, it keeps me from thinking about What If's or Shoulda-Woulda-Coulda. It keeps me grounded to deal with whatever is going on at the time. It saves me time and aggravation, truly. No belaboring a point: just deal with it. So actually, it is most useful to me, I suppose because it Works for me! But if I'm Really Aggravated, I'll mutter at first, "Alas, Alack, and Fuck My Luck," lol
The Earth Smiles In Flowers - e.e. cummings
Sandrine 7557

Postby SubHuman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:30 am

If I'm surprised it's "Crumbs" or "Golly" or "Gosh", sort of dates me doesn't it.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:23 pm

SubHuman wrote:If I'm surprised it's "Crumbs" or "Golly" or "Gosh", sort of dates me doesn't it.

I think you are giving too much information away there Dave! ;)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:55 pm

sarah t wrote:
SubHuman wrote:If I'm surprised it's "Crumbs" or "Golly" or "Gosh", sort of dates me doesn't it.

I think you are giving too much information away there Dave! ;)

WHAT information????? I'll have to edit it all out now. Just shows how dangerous the internet can be! =|
SubHuman

Return to General discussion