2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby SubHuman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:00 pm

The FIA have published a provisional calendar for 2016:-

1. March 20 - Australia
2. April 03 - Bahrain
3. April 17 - China
4. May 01 - Russia
5. May 15 - Spain
6. May 29 - Monaco
7. June 12 - Canada
8. June 19 - Europe (Baku)
9. July 10 - Britain
10. July 24 - Hungary
11. July 31 - Germany
12. Aug 28 - Belgium
13. Sept 04 - Italy
14. Sept 18 - Singapore
15. Oct 02 - Malaysia
16. Oct 09 - Japan
17. Oct 23 - USA
18. Nov 13 - Brazil
19. Nov 22 - Abu Dhabi
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby sarah t » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:16 am

SubHuman wrote:The FIA have published a provisional calendar for 2016:-

1. March 20 - Australia
2. April 03 - Bahrain
3. April 17 - China
4. May 01 - Russia
5. May 15 - Spain
6. May 29 - Monaco
7. June 12 - Canada
8. June 19 - Europe (Baku)
9. July 10 - Britain
10. July 24 - Hungary
11. July 31 - Germany
12. Aug 28 - Belgium
13. Sept 04 - Italy
14. Sept 18 - Singapore
15. Oct 02 - Malaysia
16. Oct 09 - Japan
17. Oct 23 - USA
18. Nov 13 - Brazil
19. Nov 22 - Abu Dhabi


No real surprises there apart from the absence of Mexico and don't know where the venue for Europe GP is.
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby sarah t » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:45 pm

Russian GP this weekend so be tuning in for live race coverage on BBC Radio 5 Live on Sunday, lights go out at 12.00 midday our time in the UK. Hopefully the changes to what tyres are supplied to the teams should make for a more interesting race and prevent drivers like Rosberg doing virtually the entire race distance on one set of tyres like in 2014.
:)

The next couple of races are at, for me, are rather strange times... so I'll probably be catching up with them in the following week on BBCiPlayer.
:/
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby sarah t » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:32 am

Highly eventful Russian GP with a few good passes, chases and crashes. Can't believe Kimi's lunge past Bottas and was quite rightly penalised for his action. Not quite the way they wanted to win it but congrats to Mercedes on gaining the constructors title but I think the main partying will take place in Austin Texas at the next race, the US GP.
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby SubHuman » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:29 pm

Yes Sarah, it was an interesting and highly entertaining Grand Prix, although we were deprived of a fight for first place when Rosberg's throttle broke. Kimi's attempt at passing Bottas was very optimistic and rob him of third place. I'm not sure that the twenty second penalty is sufficient and think that Raikkonen should have had a grid penalty at the next race. Vettel did well to get his Ferrari into second place and Perez did a fantastic job to get third.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby sarah t » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:33 pm

SubHuman wrote:I'm not sure that the twenty second penalty is sufficient and think that Raikkonen should have had a grid penalty at the next race.


Well yeah it would have kept the constructors title celebrations on ice until the next race if they had gone with the grid penalty but I guess that would just be delaying the inevitable.
;)
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby JJ » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:17 pm

Fantastic win for LH, and really pleased he won the title. Even sweeter that the race win came from a balls-up by Rosberg, who took it like a man...not! :)
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3264
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby StevieD » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:12 am

Yeah rosberg looked as pissed off as vettel does when he loses.
User avatar
StevieD
Member
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Somewhere in the distance

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby SubHuman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:57 am

The US Grand Prix was a fantastic race, one of the best and trickiest I've ever seen. The result was in the balance for a long time and either Hamilton, Rosberg or Vettel could have won. So it was great that Lewis won and with it the driver's world championship. We shouldn't be too hard on Nico as he had just seen his slim chance of winning the world championship vanish, due to an unforced error on his part, won't you be pissed off?
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby sarah t » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:53 pm

Just been watching the highlights on BBCiPlayer here in the library and dam it seems like I certainly missed a cracking good race. Lewis is certainly truely deserving his third title in a race where he really had to fight for the win and Rosberg inadvertently 'did him a favour' holding Vettle back. You wouldn't expect to see Red Bulls locking horns with Mercedes for most of the race but then with changeable weather conditions it usually shakes up things to make for an exciting event. Good performances from Verstappen and the McLaren duo with Jenson judging the tyre selection excellently. A couple of virtual safety car periods further spiced things up and a good tussel between Ricardo and Hulkenberg, shame the latter came worse off. big crashes for Kimi and Kyvatt, the former showing his rally cross experience to get out of the gravel and the latter sadly making a driver error.

No time to draw breath as next stop is Mexico, a brand new circuit and challenging atmospheric possibly changeable weather conditions might also shake up the order. Who knows what will happen there... should be exciting despite both titles now decided.
:)
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby SubHuman » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:53 pm

The Mexican GP was a bit of an anti-climax after the US: Rosberg on pole made a good start and always seemed to have something in hand over Hamilton who never got close enough to try out-braking him into a corner. I suppose Hamilton didn't see the point in doing anything too risky now he's won the drivers championship?
There was more interest further down the running order as various tyre strategies played out and Vettel made some uncharacteristic mistakes, although the commentators thought there might have been something wrong with the car. Williams put one over on Red Bull to take the last podium place. A shame that Button couldn't get his mid-race running position to the end and bag some point. Still the McLaren Honda seems to be gradually improving, reliability excepted.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby sarah t » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:29 am

SubHuman wrote:The Mexican GP was a bit of an anti-climax after the US: Rosberg on pole made a good start and always seemed to have something in hand over Hamilton who never got close enough to try out-braking him into a corner. I suppose Hamilton didn't see the point in doing anything too risky now he's won the drivers championship?
There was more interest further down the running order as various tyre strategies played out and Vettel made some uncharacteristic mistakes, although the commentators thought there might have been something wrong with the car. Williams put one over on Red Bull to take the last podium place. A shame that Button couldn't get his mid-race running position to the end and bag some point. Still the McLaren Honda seems to be gradually improving, reliability excepted.


Yeah watching the race highlights this morning on VHS video tape and hardly a classic race but the atmosphere was incredible particularly when local boy Perez did that overtake in the stadium section. The Fins clashed again but this time good to see Bottas coming out better, he had the line and it was Kimi's mistake to turn in so normal racing incident. Can't see much improvement from McLaren Honda, just another painful experience for Button and particularly Alonso who couldn't even complete the first lap. Liked the questioning of the team decision to bring him in by Hamilton, we've seen that before but it was IMO never going to affect the outcome of the race.

Podium celebrations was incredible with it held in the stadium section and liked the track going 'through the stands', great for the watching fans! Enjoyable enough race but hardly memorable
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby sarah t » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:11 pm

Fresh from watching Brazilian GP highlights on BBCiPlayer and some great mid field overtakes particularly the pass Verstappen did into turn one on Perez fairly early on. Otherwise fairly predictable without any rain or safety car involvement and only one retirement.
:/
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby SubHuman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:30 pm

sarah t wrote:Fresh from watching Brazilian GP highlights on BBCiPlayer and some great mid field overtakes particularly the pass Verstappen did into turn one on Perez fairly early on. Otherwise fairly predictable without any rain or safety car involvement and only one retirement.
:/


Yeah Sarah, the Nico & Lewis show is getting a bit predictable at the moment, the main interest was, as you said, in the middle field battles, will someone please get Verstappen a faster car! =D
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby sarah t » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Looking in todays The Times newspaper I see Ecclestone is still negotiating with the BBC although there is still a posibility that live coverage might cease all together.

However great to hear that BBC Radio 5 has won an extension to broadcast F1 for another three years.
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby SubHuman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:06 pm

sarah t wrote:Looking in todays The Times newspaper I see Ecclestone is still negotiating with the BBC although there is still a posibility that live coverage might cease all together.


Ecclestone is probably asking for too much money as another year of Mercedes domination may have viewers switching off in droves!
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby sarah t » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:48 am

Just seen this story on the PlanetF1 website...

The British Broadcasting Corporation has ended its television contract with Formula 1 with immediate effect…

The BBC had a contract to air until 2018 but have decided to end their contract earlier in an attempt to address the £150 million shortfall in the 2016 budget.

Barbara Slater, the BBC’s director of sport, revealed that it was not a decision that was taken lightly.

“The current financial position of the BBC means some tough and unwanted choices have to be made,” Slater told the BBC.

“A significant chunk of BBC Sport’s savings target will be delivered through the immediate termination of our TV rights agreement for Formula 1.

“Any decision to have to stop broadcasting a particular sport or sporting event is hugely disappointing and taken reluctantly.

“There are no easy solutions; all of the options available would be unpopular with audiences.

“These are very challenging times for the BBC and sport is not immune to those financial pressures.”

Channel 4 is set to take over the broadcasting rights from the BBC from the start of the 2016 season, which kicks off in Australia on 15 March.

Last week, Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone cautioned the broadcaster about ending their contract early.

“They can’t leave the contract early,” he told Press Association Sport on Saturday.

“The bottom line is that they are cutting back on all types of sport and if we really, really, really had to, we’d say ‘you have got a contract and you better get on with it.’

“The Beeb have always done a very, very good job. I have no problem at all with them. It is just they can’t afford to continue with what they have done in the past.”


Definitely shocked and saddened by this despite BBC Radio 5Live still offering live coverage for the next three seasons. Good to see that Channel 4 are picking it up (although don't know if they have a similar service like BBCiPlayer for races I might miss) but don't know how well they will manage the advert breaks. Hopefully they have learned something from the mess that ITV did of it when they had the rights before the BBC.
:/
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby JJ » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:05 am

I never forgave ITV when they cut to adverts in one GP when Damon Hill had been chasing down Michael Schumacher for the whole race, and during the advert break he finally managed to get past him. TV commercials during a live sport event should be illegal.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3264
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby JJ » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:26 pm

JJ wrote:TV commercials during a live sport event should be illegal.


Just on that subject, did you know that the US broadcasters, when the US won the 1994 World Cup, tried to get the beautiful game - of which the basic rules are / should be sacrosanct - changed to 4 quarters so they could fit in more ads? Tossers.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3264
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby sarah t » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:29 pm

I believe the reason that Channel 4 got the rights to Formula One was because of how they plan to schedule advert breaks as in avoiding having them 'mid race'. I think lessons have been learnt from the previous handling of the sport by ITV so in theory it should not be a problem.
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby SubHuman » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:51 pm

sarah t wrote:I believe the reason that Channel 4 got the rights to Formula One was because of how they plan to schedule advert breaks as in avoiding having them 'mid race'. I think lessons have been learnt from the previous handling of the sport by ITV so in theory it should not be a problem.


I certainly hope this is correct as ITV managed to spoil most race coverage by switching to adverts at critical moments in a race. Still I'll miss BBC's coverage and commentators, they did a round up of the 2015 season a week or so ago.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby sarah t » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:40 pm

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:I believe the reason that Channel 4 got the rights to Formula One was because of how they plan to schedule advert breaks as in avoiding having them 'mid race'. I think lessons have been learnt from the previous handling of the sport by ITV so in theory it should not be a problem.


I certainly hope this is correct as ITV managed to spoil most race coverage by switching to adverts at critical moments in a race. Still I'll miss BBC's coverage and commentators, they did a round up of the 2015 season a week or so ago.


Yeah saw it on BBCiPlayer a week or so ago. Seemed fine if rather lacking in detail particularly the last three races but you can't expect too much from just one hour. It is being shown again on BBC1 today, 28th December, after midnight.

Recently nabbed a copy of Motorsport magazine, full colour and 200 pages so much more detail!
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Previous

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron