2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby sarah t » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:39 pm

We are currently in the period of new car launches, best colour scheme I think goes to the blue and yellow paint job on the Sauber Ferrari, others are pretty much as before. IMO I think the Force India's predominately silver is rather boring.

I think that the silver and red for the McLaren-Honda MP4-30 looks well cool. Looking around the YouTube connected with the 'MakeHistory' lauch promotion I came across this rather amusing taken on a classic 80s movie... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obRgDko-IpI made me laugh ;) :lol:
sarah t

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby SubHuman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:19 pm

Copied Sarah's 2015 FIA Formula One calendar below:

The 2015 F1 Calendar
15 March Grand Prix of Australia
29 March Grand Prix of Malaysia
12 April Grand Prix of China
19 April Grand Prix of Bahrain
10 May Grand Prix of Spain
24 May Grand Prix of Monaco
07 June Grand Prix of Canada
21 June Grand Prix of Austria
05 July Grand Prix of Great Britain
19 July Grand Prix of Germany (Cancelled)
26 July Grand Prix of Hungary
23 August Grand Prix of Belgium
06 September Grand Prix of Italy
20 September Grand Prix of Singapore
27 September Grand Prix of Japan
11 October Grand Prix of Russia
25 October Grand Prix of USA
01 November Grand Prix of Mexico
15 November Grand Prix of Brazil
29 November Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi

Although Korea seems to have been scrubbed from the FIA F1 calendar.
Last edited by SubHuman on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:17 pm

Pre-season test in Jerez last week brought interesting developments. Mercedes did a lot of trouble free running with the W06 cars that are an evolution of last year's car. The W06 has a redesigned nose section, modified airbox and new bodywork in front of the rear tyres. Ferrari top the timesheets with their new car and redesigned engine but they think that Mercedes didn't show their full performance. McLaren-Honda had technical problems through the test sessions and so neither driver was able to set representative times with their cars.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:28 am

In the first day of testing at Barcelona:

Hamilton had to withdraw due to illness and Rosberg has a neck issue that may force him not to practice tomorrow.

McLaren had to stop testing as a technical issue required a complete power plant change on Button's car.

The fastest on the first day was Maldonado in the Lotus just ahead of Raikkonen's Ferrari.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:21 am

Only six days to go, watch for a Mercedes one two result.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:24 am

Details of the McLaren Honda power unit below:-

http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2015/3/16858.html

Very different to both the Mercedes and Ferrari/Red Bull layouts.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:25 am

An interesting Australian Gran Prix as expected Mercedes dominated qualifying, and the race, with Hamilton dialling in his car best to the circuit. He was never challenged for the lead by Rosberg who, in turn was not troubled by any of the following cars. Vettel in the Ferrari was the best of the rest followed by Massa, Nasr, Ricciardo and Hulkenberg.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:17 am

I watched it, as not on at stupid o'clock for a change. Very dull race I thought, only good thing being that Hamilton won. Reminded me why I stopped watching it while still living in England as it was mostly just a procession.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:26 am

This is part of a message that I sent to a group of friends who take part in an online competition to guess the first eight Gran Prix finishers:

It wasn't difficult to pick 1st and 2nd places after practice. Raikkonen should have done better with the car he had. Lotus were rather unlucky and McLaren Honda they might as well pack up and go home for the season. It seems they turned the power down to get the cars to the finish and one didn't even make it to the start! Honda's layoff seems to have left them well adrift in the development race. It might be a rather boring season with Mercedes winning everything unless Ferrari can get more power from their engine package. Once again Red Bull are frustrated with the engine that Renault are giving them.

Yeah JJ, this year might be quite boring although there was some overtaking action further down field, will we see the FIA introducing handicapping in seasons to come?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:40 pm

Surprised that the German GP this year has been cancelled as both venues have said no to hosting the event after poor sales last season. Down to 19 races now!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:23 pm

Amazing Malaysian Gran Prix with Vettel winning from Hamilton and Rosberg. Ferrari have done a fantastic job to improve their car and the strategy for Sepang was perfect. It seems that we may have a three way fight for the Drivers Championship this year, I certainly hope so and there was plenty of overtaking further down the running order. Drive of the day was from the seventeen year old Max Verstappen who finished 7th overall after an amazing qualifying session for Toro Rosso. Honda McLaren had a bad day with both cars DNF, having engine reliability problems.
SubHuman

Postby Peter1984 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:58 pm

Also enjoy F1, my fav is Felippe Massa.
Peter1984

Postby sarah t » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:44 pm

Peter1984 wrote:Also enjoy F1, my fav is Felippe Massa.

Great to see him settled and doing well at Williams Mercedes... one of the strongest driver partnerships on the grid I think!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:06 am

Chinese Gran Prix this weekend coming, we'll find out if Ferrari's win in Malaysia was a fluke or if their improved performance will translate to other circuits. I do hope they give Mercedes a hard battle, although I shall be rooting for Lewis Hamilton to win of course. Also I'm keen to see how well Max Verstappen goes.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Bahrain GP yesterday was the first one that I turned the radio on. Very much the Mercedes/Ferrari show and yet again they dominated the podium although good to see it was Kimi up there this time. Rosberg clearly a number two in that team at present although he certainly had good battles with Vettel. I think that was the only real excitement during this race. Hope for a better range of battles up and down the field in the next GP...
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:37 pm

Bahrain was quite good to watch, there was always something interesting going on. Rosberg is a good driver but Hamilton seems to be able to get the best out of this years Mercedes and Raikkonen overtook Rosberg twice on the track. Shame about the problem with Button's car but it was good to see that the McLaren is now a middle order runner. Will Ferrari be able to improve their car by Barcelona! =D
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon May 11, 2015 10:58 am

Rosberg shook the pack up with his win in Barcelona, Hamilton had a more difficult race this time with a poor start, trouble passing Vettel and tardy pit crew work on his car. To his credit he still managed to finish second. Ferrari are still keeping Mercedes honest and aren't to far away from winning. Shame about Alonso loosing his brakes and Button's lowly finishing position.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon May 11, 2015 1:04 pm

SubHuman wrote:Rosberg shook the pack up with his win in Barcelona, Hamilton had a more difficult race this time with a poor start, trouble passing Vettel and tardy pit crew work on his car. To his credit he still managed to finish second. Ferrari are still keeping Mercedes honest and aren't to far away from winning. Shame about Alonso loosing his brakes and Button's lowly finishing position.

Yes listened to this on BBC Radio 5 Live yesterday afternoon which I enjoyed. Great to see Rosberg finally register not just a win but a perfect weekend overall... hopefully this means Hamilton won't have it all his own way this season! Good battle between Hamilton and Vettel, the former did a stunning job to claw back his original starting place of P2. Excellent performance from Bottas in the Williams fending off the other Ferrari particularly in the closing laps. Red Bull very much a spent force at the moment, Vettel lapping them during the race must have been sweet for him and bitter for his former team. Surprised it was so very slippy in the pit lane particularly for Alonso. Usually Spanish GP is a good indication of the best car for the rest of the season... rather sobering to find that the Mercedes of Hamilton and Rosberg were 45 seconds up the road on the rest of the field.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun May 24, 2015 12:55 am

As Hamilton is on pole for Monaco unless he has real bad luck it's almost certain he'll win.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Sun May 24, 2015 1:49 am

I don't understand the massive amount of 'how brilliant the race is' crap about Monaco. I've always found it to be a procession.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Mon May 25, 2015 1:45 am

JJ wrote:I don't understand the massive amount of 'how brilliant the race is' crap about Monaco. I've always found it to be a procession.

But there have been some amazing incidents over the years, mainly crashes as faster cars attempt the almost impossible task of overtaking there. For instance this year we have the bizarre case of Mercedes, German team, contriving a mistake that let Rosberg, German driver, win the Gran prix after Hamilton led for most of the race. You couldn't make it up.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue May 26, 2015 10:29 am

Yeah Monaco GP this year was a rather 'slow burner' with Hamilton controlling things for practically the whole race but then there was that battle for the final point between Toro Rosso and Renault and naturally it was the youngster whom made the error, going for a gap where none was available. Cannot understand the team calling Hamilton in for a pit stop that dropped him to third but it certainly turned the race on its head. Not many retirements this time, Alonso having 'gearbox issues' but great that Button bagged points for an 8th place finish... that's the kind of result you will only get on a unique circuit like Monaco, hope we won't have to wait until Hungary before Jenson scores again.

Listened to it on BBC radio 5Live but had to check out BBCiPlayer to see the closing stages including that crash, Mercedes inexplicable pit stop and after race interviews with the main players for the driver facial reactions (contrasting for Rosberg, Hamilton and Button).
:)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue May 26, 2015 11:08 am

Apparently Mercedes called Hamilton in for a precautionary tyre change immediately after the crash as they mistakenly thought they could get Hamilton out in front. However it takes 20 odd seconds for a pit stop and Hamilton was 17 in front of Rosberg and 19 in front of Vettel so it was a huge error of judgement. Hamilton must be really angry with the team management and has already said that at some point he would like to race for Ferrari, so watch this space!
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu May 28, 2015 10:13 am

SubHuman wrote:Apparently Mercedes called Hamilton in for a precautionary tyre change immediately after the crash as they mistakenly thought they could get Hamilton out in front. However it takes 20 odd seconds for a pit stop and Hamilton was 17 in front of Rosberg and 19 in front of Vettel so it was a huge error of judgement. Hamilton must be really angry with the team management and has already said that at some point he would like to race for Ferrari, so watch this space!

I believe he has just inked a new contract linking to Mercedes to the end of the 2018 season! ;)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:21 pm

Hardly that memorable thanks to a Mercedes 1-2 finish but there was plenty to enjoy behind the leading trio of cars at the Canadian GP. Great drives from Massa and Vettel from their poor qualifying, the former doing some great overtaking particularly taking Erickson's Sauber just after the start-finish straight.

Whilst Jenson is still sanguine and positive about the season so far the pressure is clearly getting to Alonso, can't believe his emotional outburst back to the team when asked to save fuel. Double retirement again but more worryingly is the supposed upgrades did nothing for the McLaren-Honda which remains the slowest on the grid. No one said it was going to be easy for Honda to return to F1 after eight years away but even they couldn't have expected the season to have developed how it has so far. Unless there is a miracle I really can't see them having the chance of further points until Hungary =(
sarah t

Next

Return to General discussion