2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: 2-0-1-5... It's Formula One!!!

Postby sarah t » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:35 pm

Can't believe the scale of penalties that McLaren are looking at in Austria... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33183855

Has any team been hit quite so hard as this????????????? :O
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:22 am

sarah t wrote:Can't believe the scale of penalties that McLaren are looking at in Austria... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33183855

Has any team been hit quite so hard as this????????????? :O

Rules is rules Sarah, but considering McLaren's lack of pace and general unreliability it seems rather unnecessary. Judging by second practice Hamilton may have a more difficult time in Austria and Ferrari may get a second win.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:12 pm

listening to Austria GP yesterday and thought it a pretty good race despite the high amount of retirements. Looked like just a 'racing incident' that saw Kimi's Ferrari edging out Fernando's McLaren. Fairly routine up front but good to see Nico for once getting the jump on Lewis. Good to see Massa getting Williams second podium although it was getting fairly tense in closing stages with Vettel closing in. There was also a good battle going on towards the end for seventh place.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:31 pm

sarah t wrote:listening to Austria GP yesterday and thought it a pretty good race despite the high amount of retirements. Looked like just a 'racing incident' that saw Kimi's Ferrari edging out Fernando's McLaren. Fairly routine up front but good to see Nico for once getting the jump on Lewis. Good to see Massa getting Williams second podium although it was getting fairly tense in closing stages with Vettel closing in. There was also a good battle going on towards the end for seventh place.

I agree Sarah, Rosberg's win keeps the drivers championship alive going into the second half of the season and there was lots of overtaking action further down the grid. Massa did a fantastic job to keep Vettel's Ferrari behind him and Williams are getting closer to Ferrari in the constructors championship with other finishing place of 5th. We should have an interesting race at Silverstone. McLaren's season seems to be getting worse at the moment with another race and two DNFs
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:54 am

It's the British Grand Prix at Silverstone this weekend and Lewis seems to be having trouble getting his car set up to his liking, looks like Rosberg is on a roll.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:59 pm

Basically IMO Williams threw away a potential victory at Silverstone, their first since 1997. Admittedly fantastic start for Massa but really should have let Bottas pass Massa for the lead as their continued squabbling let Lewis in for victory. The team, pretty much said as much when they spoke to Bottas saying that on his first set of tyres he was fastest. Got to feel sorry for the guy eventually winding up fifth at the chequered flag thanks to Vettel 'pickpocketing' third through a crafty well timed pit stop. Good to get a bit of rain to spice things up towards the end but unfortunately this caught out Will Stevens whom I thought drove a pretty good race. Mixed feelings about McLaren, great that Alonso managed to grab a single point for finishing tenth but not at all happy that there was that first lap collision with Button that put him out when they desperately needed finishes let alone points.

Quite an exciting race full of incident spiced up by the unpredictable British weather. :)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:49 am

sarah t wrote:Basically IMO Williams threw away a potential victory at Silverstone, their first since 1997. Admittedly fantastic start for Massa but really should have let Bottas pass Massa for the lead as their continued squabbling let Lewis in for victory. The team, pretty much said as much when they spoke to Bottas saying that on his first set of tyres he was fastest. Got to feel sorry for the guy eventually winding up fifth at the chequered flag thanks to Vettel 'pickpocketing' third through a crafty well timed pit stop. Good to get a bit of rain to spice things up towards the end but unfortunately this caught out Will Stevens whom I thought drove a pretty good race. Mixed feelings about McLaren, great that Alonso managed to grab a single point for finishing tenth but not at all happy that there was that first lap collision with Button that put him out when they desperately needed finishes let alone points.

Quite an exciting race full of incident spiced up by the unpredictable British weather. :)

Yes the British GP was a dramatic affair this time, had me on the edge of my seat. And your right, Williams did themselves no favours by not telling Massa to let Bottas through. I think the carnage at the start of the race that saw Button, Maldonaldo and Grosjohn retire was a racing incident. Button certainly wasn't blaming Alonso went interviewed later.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:24 am

SubHuman wrote:I think the carnage at the start of the race that saw Button, Maldonaldo and Grosjohn retire was a racing incident. Button certainly wasn't blaming Alonso went interviewed later.

Yeah I agree with you there, rotten Lotus cars! Mind you, you will never hear Button 'throwing his toys out of the pram/getting upset', he is a very supportive, level headed chap... just what the team needs at the moment. I think that probably stems from some of the awful cars he has driven during his time in Formula One like for example the Renault of 2001-2002 and the Honda of 2008. Interesting to hear that Ron Denis says Jenson has a two-year contract, I just hope they honour it... Button could do with, hopefully, reaping the rewards of the pain he and his teammate are going through during 2015 with hopefully a better car next year.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:09 am

This is a useful and informative website: http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... atest.html

Some interesting info about car upgrades and a relaxation in the rules applying to new engine suppliers i.e. Honda. About time given the torrid time that the McLaren Honda is having, although I'm not expecting great things from them until next year.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:41 pm

Extremely sad news broke early this morning... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33578770

RIP Jules, I'm sure the winner of next weekend's race will dedicate it to your memory =(
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:56 pm

Jules Bianchi death was the first Formula 1 fatality since 1994 which shows how relatively safe the sport has become, and there has been a thorough review of procedure after the crash to attempt to prevent this type of accident happening again. It is a reminder of how dangerous motor sport is, I'm sure everyone's thoughts are with Bianchi's family at this time.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:45 am

Just noticed that we have the Hungarian Grand Prix this weekend, it should be interesting to see whether Lewis or Nico wins this race. As overtaking is so difficult at the circuit there will be a very clear advantage to whosoever gets on pole position.
Lets hope Jensen doesn't get involved in a first lap pile up. There are rumours he may move to Williams if Bottas goes to Ferrari next season.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:23 pm

SubHuman wrote:Jules Bianchi death was the first Formula 1 fatality since 1994.

I used to watch all the Grands Prix back then and still remember very clearly watching Senna apparently just veer off in a straight line at Tamburello. People seem to forget that Senna's death was the second at Imola that year as Roland Ratzenberger was also killed, I think the day before.

As you say, bearing in mind the speed they're going the leap in safety standards is actually phenomenal. They're actually going faster than a plane at take-off speed.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:51 pm

Wow amazing Hungarian GP, can't believe that Mercedes were again beaten off the line by the 2nd row of the grid, is there something wrong with their launch control? What looked like it was going to be a bad day for Lewis, who made some dodgy overtaking moves on cold tyres, didn't turn out to be so bad in the end when Rosberg tangled with Ricciardo and dropped from 2nd place to 8th and behind Lewis. =D
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:40 am

SubHuman wrote:Wow amazing Hungarian GP, can't believe that Mercedes were again beaten off the line by the 2nd row of the grid, is there something wrong with their launch control? What looked like it was going to be a bad day for Lewis, who made some dodgy overtaking moves on cold tyres, didn't turn out to be so bad in the end when Rosberg tangled with Ricciardo and dropped from 2nd place to 8th and behind Lewis. =D

Crikey I needed an hours lie down after such frantic excitement and drama from what is usually a fairly dull processional race. Good result for Ferrari and Red Bull but yeah can't believe what went wrong with Mercedes not just launch control but raw race pace was definitely lacking as Vettel pulled easily away from Rosberg. All smiles for Ron Denis to finally get both his McLaren's in the points but I personally would have preferred if the positions were reversed. Massive disappointment for Williams limping in at 12th and 13th, what a change from British GP. One of the two radio commentators also said he needed a bit of a lie down and some time to prepare for that evenings Podcast... apparently he had made twenty-five pages of notes about the race.

We can all have a welcome months rest before Belgium when they reconvene for round 11 and some regulation/rule changes primarily I believe connected with launch control.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:47 am

Starting to get really excited as next weekend we go to Belgium which has, because of the regulation changes coming in, has the potential to be a real cracker of a race... definitely a step into the unknown will it be Mercedes, Ferrari, Williams or a completely unexpected team triumphing on the greatest F1 circuit in the world... Bring it on!!! =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:26 am

I personally disagree with Vettel's assertion that his team made the right decision to only pit one time rather than the two/three all the other teams/drivers were doing. I am of course thankful that the tyre blow out so late in the race did not result in a nasty accident. This is a very unforgiving circuit on which the tyres are worked extremely hard on some of the corners/climbs and IMO trying to do the entire 44 laps on just a single pit stop was a gamble that never realistically was going to pay off. Great result for Grosjean in the Renault Mercedes... they really needed this result given all the off track problems they currently have. Can't believe Williams made such a fundamental error in changing tyres on Bottas car.

Seemed like a great enjoyable race however...

For the record there was very poor radio coverage with BBC Radio 5 distracted by the early stages of the Chelsea v West Brom match and boring athletics so it was difficult to follow what was happening in Spa given the limited time focusing on this race. =(
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:33 pm

Looks like business as usual for Mercedes at Monza, their new engine has put them well ahead of their rivals.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:51 am

Quite an eventful Italian Grand Prix at Monza this year! Not quite business as usual for Mercedes with Nico Rosberg suffering a problem with the new engine in practice and having his old spare lunch itself two laps from the end of the race. Ferrari must be pleased with the progress they are making but miffed at being trumped by Hamilton with the new Mercedes engine. Mercedes have said they don't yet know what caused Rosberg's new engine problem and must have been on tenderhooks about Hamilton's car right until the end and having the stewards questioning the tyre pressures! Poor old Lotus they're not having much luck this year I really thought they were going to get some points at this race. I see that Alonso is actually criticising the Honda McLaren engine and power recovery package now.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:23 am

There should be a new team in Formula 1 next year, Team Haas:-

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... teams.html

Maybe a berth for Button if he's not still with McLaren Honda. A Ferrari engine might be quite an enticing prospect.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:21 am

SubHuman wrote:Quite an eventful Italian Grand Prix at Monza this year! Not quite business as usual for Mercedes with Nico Rosberg suffering a problem with the new engine in practice and having his old spare lunch itself two laps from the end of the race. Ferrari must be pleased with the progress they are making but miffed at being trumped by Hamilton with the new Mercedes engine. Mercedes have said they don't yet know what caused Rosberg's new engine problem and must have been on tenderhooks about Hamilton's car right until the end and having the stewards questioning the tyre pressures! Poor old Lotus they're not having much luck this year I really thought they were going to get some points at this race. I see that Alonso is actually criticising the Honda McLaren engine and power recovery package now.

Yeah I agree, seen the footage via BBCiPlayer and can't believe everyone somehow managed to miss Kimi's slow to start Ferrari... how embarrassing at the teams home race, still at least he battled back for 5th. Massive challenge for Rosberg for rest of season as I can't realistically see him reeling in Hamilton (what's with the blonde hair???). Great opening few laps for Jenson in that old dog of a McLaren Honda but shame he eventually fell back to expected 'out of points' position. Good fun race I think! :)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:39 am

The Singapore GP was a strange sort of race, Mercedes were out of sorts at this track and Vettel took full advantage. It's two races in a row now that Mercedes have had reliability issues, is this down to all the hard charging they have done all season? Lewis still has a healthy advantage but Vettel is really close to Rosberg now, should give us an interesting last few races although I'm sure that the next tracks will suit the Mercedes.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:44 am

The Japanese GP was a return to form for Mercedes with a one two win. Vettel tried very hard to keep second place but Mercedes pit stop strategy beat him. I'm not sure where McLaren Honda go from here as the drivers seem unsure that next season will be much better.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:51 am

Surprised but no doubt delighted that Jenson [Button] will be in Formula One, with McLaren in 2016 as announced this morning http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34410998 I guess a lot of people were questioning whether he still had the motivation to go racing after such an awful current 2015 season but he is no doubt a massive asset for the struggling team in both driving and technical feedback/knowledge. IMO simply changing drivers is not the main problem that the team face and they really need all the help they can to somehow recover from 2015. As Ron Denis said 'this is Jenson's day' although could it really be possible that Fernando might consider breaking his contract which runs to 2017?
:)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:57 pm

it's got to be good for McLaren as Button is staying, some people were suggesting he might retire. Lets hope that Honda give the drivers a better power package next year. Ron Dennis was complaining that the current FIA rules don't allow enough in year development if cars aren't initially correct.
SubHuman

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion