The Man (or 4) Who Came To Dinner

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

The Man (or 4) Who Came To Dinner

Postby JJ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:45 am

An oldie but a goodie...

You’re only allowed to invite 4 people to dinner. They can also be historical figures so dead people are allowed (if you see what I mean). So who would they be?

Mine:

Stephen Fry - I love watching QI, have enjoyed reading one of his books, and he strikes me as being always very entertaining whenever I’ve seen him interviewed. He’s also the sort that could seem to start a conversation with a paper bag, so he could MC the table.

Spike Milligan – anyone who’s read his war memoirs will know that he could be both brilliantly funny and deeply moving. My granddad fought at Cassino in Italy in WW2, so that part of Milligan’s story holds extra poignancy for me. He was as mad as a box of frogs, and his books made me laugh out loud on the train.

David Niven – From the world of film I could have gone for Michael Caine who I love watching / has had a very interesting life, but I’ve gone for DN if only to hear him tell all his stories from the golden era of Hollywood that he so brilliantly dealt with in The Moon’s A Balloon. His tales of the excesses he enjoyed but also the hard start he had to endure were fabulous. Again, this was a book that made me LOL.

The final one’s a bit tricky. Muhammad Ali is/was always entertaining, as was Brian Clough, and Peter Ustinov was very interesting to listen to, but I’ll go for Stephen King. The Stand is the best book I’ve ever read, and Salem’s Lot is the third best (Bram Stoker’s Dracula is second). I’ve got / read so many of his books and I’m almost never disappointed. I’d love to hear him talk about some of his greatest villains: The Dark Man in The Stand fascinates me, Pennywise the Clown in It, and most of all Barlow the vampire in Salem’s Lot – in the film, Barlow just grunted and you never got an insight into the depth of his character as you did in the book, because James Mason who played Straker (Barlow’s human “watchdog”) was given the intelligent role of the two, whereas in the book it’s the other way round. I would love to hear all about that stuff.

So over to you...4 only!
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Re: The Man (or 4) Who Came To Dinner

Postby SubHuman » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:32 am

Crumbs, a new thread, yes I'd go for Spike, one of my childhood heroes. I can't make my mind up (nothing new there) about the other three, so it'll be a while until I do this properly.
SubHuman

Postby Electric Dream » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:52 am

What about women? Are they allowed? ;)

I think mine would be comedians who I'd love to go to the pub with so - Jimmy Carr, Jon Richardson and Sean Locke :)
Electric Dream

Postby JJ » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:16 am

Of course they're allowed!

(Not that you named any...)
JJ

Postby Pauline » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:52 pm

Joe Elliott (Def Leppard) - my alltime fave rock star, and I've met him before and he was looooovely and really easy to chat to, so he'd calm my nerves.

Simon Le Bon - my alltime fave popstar, whom I've never met, and this would probably be my only chance!

Marilyn Manson - I'd like to spend time with the real Brian, the normal person away from the stage and his entourage.

Peter Kay - my other love is comedy, and I could probably list 10 here, but I reckon he'd be the funniest round the table. (and I'm currently watching Phoenix Nights, so he's at the forefront of my mind.... ;) )
Pauline

Postby Stig Olsen » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:23 pm

The last 4 women who was on the cover of the 'Swimsuit Illustrated' magazine :p

But seriously - Stephen Fry is a damn good choice - clever and funny dude (I'm also a QI addict).
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby cs15 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:51 pm

For me it'd be:

1. Dawn French - Down to earth, funny, sexy & intelligent conversation would be the order of the day.

2. Leonardo Di Vinci - Was he mad or just extremely creative? I'd love to know the real man.

3. My dad. He died when I was a teenager so I never really got a chance to have an 'adult' conversation with him.

4. Davina McCall. Just because I fancy her something rotten. =D
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Tue May 12, 2015 10:14 am

I found this really difficult to decide but here goes:-

1. Jesus, just to find out if he's for real.

2. Plato, my kind of guy!

3. Spike Milligan, well I'd need someone to lighten the conversation.

4. Richard Coles, a really nice guy.

5. Gandhi, in case Jesus doesn't turn up etc.

So many I would have liked but we're only allowed four. I tried hard to think of a suitable lady, one of the crime writers would have fitted the bill for me.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Tue May 12, 2015 8:59 pm

SubHuman wrote:So many I would have liked but we're only allowed four.

Right. So why pick 5 then.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Tue May 12, 2015 9:21 pm

JJ wrote:
SubHuman wrote:So many I would have liked but we're only allowed four.

Right. So why pick 5 then.

Gandhi is a reserve, he'd have to eat in the kitchen if all the others turned up.
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:07 am

1. Joseph Campbell, whose brilliance has "gotten it right" for me philosophically.

2. My late brother John, killed in an untimely auto accident, whose genius far surpassed any other family member, (the rest of us, immediate & extended were just of "normal" intelligence!) but as my oldest brother, led me on a ride growing up that forever changed my world for the better.

3. Gonna go with my late step-father Bill, who always centered the family to a "peaceful, easy feelin' " for a change. Miss him greatly.

4. Sacagawea, Native American woman , to tell me her stories about the Lewis and Clark expedition.
The Earth Smiles In Flowers - e.e. cummings
Sandrine 7557

Postby SubHuman » Tue May 19, 2015 11:53 am

Sandrine 7557 wrote:1. Joseph Campbell, whose brilliance has "gotten it right" for me philosophically.

2. My late brother John, killed in an untimely auto accident, whose genius far surpassed any other family member, (the rest of us, immediate & extended were just of "normal" intelligence!) but as my oldest brother, led me on a ride growing up that forever changed my world for the better.

3. Gonna go with my late step-father Bill, who always centered the family to a "peaceful, easy feelin' " for a change. Miss him greatly.

4. Sacagawea, Native American woman , to tell me her stories about the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Welcome back Sandrine been missing your jokes. Who were Lewis and Clark, we kind of miss out on American history in the UK?
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:32 am

Very Basically most of the U.S. west of the Missouri River was bought from Bonaparte by President Jefferson & he wanted a team to explore the U.S., see what all we bought, catalogue plants & animals, see if there was one waterway connecting to the Pacific Ocean, and determine how the land could be commercially exploited! So he hired Lewis & Clark. Now Sacagawea was a 17 year old pregnant Indian, married to a trapper. At age nine she'd been stolen from the Shoshone tribe & was was owned by the Hidatsas. She was bought by a French trapper for a wife. However, she went on the journey with Lewis & Clark, gave birth, and saved their behinds more than once. At one point when they had no horses, she stumbled upon her tribe that she'd been stolen from. Her brother was chief & she convinced him to give them horses. She stayed with Lewis & Clark. Would love to talk with her over "dinner"!
The Earth Smiles In Flowers - e.e. cummings
Sandrine 7557

Postby SubHuman » Wed May 20, 2015 11:39 pm

Wow Sandrine, they certainly knew how to have adventure in those days. Sacagawea was some woman, makes you wonder what the Native Americans would be like now if Europeans hadn't discovered the continent.
SubHuman

Return to General discussion