2016 Formula 1

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: 2016 Formula 1

Postby sarah t » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:13 am

Ever since I got the Nintendo DS Formula 1 game I’ve gone well at Spa and in the career section, as a rookie driver, I had a great race. Starting on pole I eventually finished in third, all the more impressive as this was the third time I had driven in a 100% wet race. Next up Monza and despite another pole position it was extremely frustrating leading me to restart the race at least half a dozen times due to various collisions from other drivers off the line, one of which saw me turn upside down. Despite this I finally finished with a sixth place points finish. I didn’t know what to expect at Singapore but a pole position start astonishingly resulted in a second place. I really got the feel of this circuit with its various twists and turns, putting in some stunning laps and really closing down on eventual race winner and current championship leader Mark Webber in the Red Bull. In the last few laps however I was slowed down by a few back markers and with no blue flags I didn’t get any help in passing and eventually wound up 44 seconds adrift of Webber. Despite this I now find myself in sixth place in the standings with 100 points, just 4 points less than Alonso’s Ferrari.

Now in Suzuka I’ve spent a lot of free practice time desperately attempting to find a set up that will work with many trips back to the pits to adjust settings. I have 100% hard suspension and 100% grip with option tyres and am currently playing with the oversteer/understeer figures but I am finding this one very difficult circuit to master. Just like the real thing you slow to practically nothing on a couple of places, at 130R and the final right/left before the start/finish straight where I have to momentarily drop right back to first gear before getting the rev limiter lights to tell me to change up for greater speed.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:28 am

Sarah it should be better to change up before hitting the rev limiter as this loses you acceleration. Well in a real car this is the case.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:47 am

Sarah, I love reading this stuff about your game, and about how you do in the races.

I have a similar "relationship" with FIFA on the PS4, where I do manager mode (rather than player mode). The depth you have to go into is amazing - from keeping squad players happy to negotiating their weekly salaries; from appointing talent scouts to vetting their recommended (scouted) players and then signing up those with the most potential; from managing the substitutions to providing praise or encouragement for an individual player via the press conference. Just to give you one example (and yes I realise this is the F1 thread): I arranged a 9 month scouting mission in England for my English scout (he has 5 star ability to recognise talent), and he found me a 6'5" 15 year old goalkeeper called Thomas Burdett. Although only rated 56 out of 99, his potential was to be up to a range of 84-94, so as soon as he turned 16 I signed him up for an 18k fee and 500 quid a week. After every weekend's games, you can do some training with selected players, and I absolutely blitzed him - two sessions per week. He did so well in all of that, plus I started playing him in the first team, and he's now rated 96, is the best GK in the world, and I pay him over 1m a week! It's a 15 year career mode, and I'm in 2024 now, and basically every single player in my first team (I play as Palace obviously!) has come through my youth system. I looooooove this game - it is all consuming!!

Please keep your progress reports coming Sarah!! :)
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:35 am

Is there a Humpty Dumpty game on PS4 or the Nintendo?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:49 pm

JJ wrote:Sarah, I love reading this stuff about your game, and about how you do in the races.

I have a similar "relationship" with FIFA on the PS4, where I do manager mode (rather than player mode). The depth you have to go into is amazing - from keeping squad players happy to negotiating their weekly salaries; from appointing talent scouts to vetting their recommended (scouted) players and then signing up those with the most potential; from managing the substitutions to providing praise or encouragement for an individual player via the press conference. Just to give you one example (and yes I realise this is the F1 thread): I arranged a 9 month scouting mission in England for my English scout (he has 5 star ability to recognise talent), and he found me a 6'5" 15 year old goalkeeper called Thomas Burdett. Although only rated 56 out of 99, his potential was to be up to a range of 84-94, so as soon as he turned 16 I signed him up for an 18k fee and 500 quid a week. After every weekend's games, you can do some training with selected players, and I absolutely blitzed him - two sessions per week. He did so well in all of that, plus I started playing him in the first team, and he's now rated 96, is the best GK in the world, and I pay him over 1m a week! It's a 15 year career mode, and I'm in 2024 now, and basically every single player in my first team (I play as Palace obviously!) has come through my youth system. I looooooove this game - it is all consuming!!

Please keep your progress reports coming Sarah!! :)

Thanks for your kind comments John, much appreciated.

This game is helping me get a much better understanding of the basics of what it is like to drive a Formula One car. All season long I have been absolutely hopeless at getting off the line and usually have to fight my way back, in some cases this is sometimes easier.

Japanese GP was for me an absolute disaster! I qualified 3rd which was good enough and I was quite surprised because I struggled all the way and was amazed to make it into Q3. Despite a number of restarts things never got any better in the race, I just couldn't get any sort of rhythm going, sliding off the track a lot and despite fighting hard particularly towards the end all I could get was a dismal 21st place. =(

Astonished to find a complete opposite at Korea where through free practice I got the set up of the car (grip, suspension, balance of oversteer/understeer) absolutely perfect. My pole position was about ten seconds ahead of the chasing pack and even through the pit stops (a very long way out back onto the track) I was never seriously challenged. Punch the air in delight to claim a second victory of the season leaving Alonso's Ferrari well behind me and the five backmarker cars I passed on the last lap. Onto India and first free practice is looking good so far! :)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:13 am

India was a strange one for me. Yes I got pole position but only by about five seconds and I thought I was well prepared for a great result. No matter how hard I tried I could not make a two stop strategy work and a few attempts had me drifting back in the latter stages, very demoralising when the team come on the radio saying that 'the car ahead is pulling away at the rate of three seconds a lap'. Well I aborted this and took the unique and I thought somewhat brave step of attempting a one stop race. First half on the Prime tyre was very much damage limitation attempting to keep the majority of the field behind me as Massa's Ferrari scampered away up front to the tune of 44 seconds. nearing the pit stop and Webber's Red Bull finally muscled its way past and began to pull swiftly away. Switching to the options and my speed, particularly in corners where I could power out, definitely improved. A massive focused effort saw me eventually bag a fourth place finish only ten seconds behind the eventual third car of Massa whom himself couldn't hold back Webber and race winner Rosberg up front.

Two races of my first rookie season to go... that of Abu Dhabi and Brazil.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:02 am

Do you expect to improve second time around Sarah? Unlike with real racing you have to both drive and workout the best tyre strategy? Are there random elements to the race like temperature and rain?

Anyway getting back to this year's championship it looks like Singapore could be pivotal to the drivers championship as a win for either Rosberg or Hamilton might bring about a psychological dominance going into the last part of the season.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:19 pm

SubHuman wrote:Do you expect to improve second time around Sarah? Unlike with real racing you have to both drive and workout the best tyre strategy? Are there random elements to the race like temperature and rain?

Yes there are random elements to the race which can be switched on... at present I only have weather as I'm just getting a feel for racing. I've had three wet races this season which bring their own challenges. In free practice sessions where it is dry I do try both the Prime and Option tyres with the car settings I have to see which will work best on the particular circuit I am racing at.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:13 am

For me Abu Dhabi was a race meeting of mixed fortunes where it took time to fully adjust to getting the best out of the car on the Yas Marina circuit. First free practice I was 23rdd, second free practice I was third whilst third free practice I was seventh. Soft suspension, maximum grip and plenty of oversteer seemed the way to go and getting into qualifying Q3 I managed to, with my final lap right at the end of the time to pull my car up to fifth place, surprisingly joined on the third row by my teammate. Despite hinting at a possible podium for most of the race I was in fourth place until the last corner of the last lap with the flag in sight I was passed by another car… bugger! However my ten points together with the unlikely outcome of my teammate winning the race meant we secured fifth place for the HRT team.

Despite heavy rain and dark grey clouds hanging over the Brazil circuit I was in extremely dominant form for the final race of the season. A switch from Intermediary tyres to full wets plus various set up changes meant I was in complete control throughout all sessions. Come the race I lead for the majority of the laps however the team definitively cost me the victory. Making my one and only pit stop with at least fifteen seconds ahead of the second placed car I was frustrated to find my teammate also in so I was sent back out to do another circuit with my lead cut to only five seconds. Eventually Vettel’s Red Bull passed by in the closing stages and then on the final lap I developed damage on my right rear tyre. Going up the hill on last corner of the last lap I was heartbroken when I was pitched into the barrier. Despite quick thinking action to select reverse gear I managed to somehow find my way back onto the circuit although then fourth was the best I could do.

Anyway I’ve now got a new challenge to focus on for my second season in Formula One as a new driver. Following a successful test session where I bettered the target time I now have a contract to drive for the Force India team taking the place of [Paul] DiResta alongside new teammate [Adrian] Sutil. The have high standards and the minimum they expect from me is at least 60 points for the entire season. Initially this seems like a big ask however considering that during my first season with HRT I amassed 157 points I should meet that target and hopefully put in better performances at circuits where I was weak before like Valencia. Going to the first race in Australia and the target for the week is to qualify tenth, fingers crossed with the correct changes to set up I can do this!
:)
sarah t

Postby JJ » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:24 am

Haha, loving it Sarah! :)

How many seasons does the career mode go? Are there difficulty settings, and if so what are you doing it on? On FIFA, since they upgraded it from about FIFA2006 on, I can now only play on Semi-Pro (which is the second easiest.) I just get absolutely murdered on Professional level.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby sarah t » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:11 am

I started with a three year contract with the HRT team however after that first year I wanted a greater challenge with a better up-the-grid team and having met and exceeded the target time at the test session I gained a contract with Force India. It seems only one year but might be extended beyond that depending on whether I can get more than 60 points during the season.

First race was tough at Australia, qualified in pole position but a number of factors including a damaged right rear wheel meant I limped him in a disappointing 10th place. Malaysia was far better though. Qualified in Pole Position again but dogged determination and a switch from manual to automatic gear selection saw a hard fought victory... my first in 100% wet conditions, and when it rains there boy does it come down bit like in 2009 I think!

I get back to you about difficulty settings but I certainly am finding much more of a challenge driving the Force India than I did with the HRT car!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:58 am

With Rosberg's win at Singapore the pendulum has swung back in favour of him winning the Driver's Championship. Hamilton had a difficult time with problems in practice so he didn't get the best setup on the car. This compromised him in qualifying and in the race and he did well to get third place, the next race will be even more important to the championship. Great drives by Ricciardo, Alonso and Vettel.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:14 pm

SubHuman wrote:With Rosberg's win at Singapore the pendulum has swung back in favour of him winning the Driver's Championship. Hamilton had a difficult time with problems in practice so he didn't get the best setup on the car. This compromised him in qualifying and in the race and he did well to get third place, the next race will be even more important to the championship. Great drives by Ricciardo, Alonso and Vettel.

Finally got to see the highlights this morning after some VHS video tape problems and I agree with what you say although I really enjoyed the battle between the two drivers who swapped places earlier in the season (Red Bull and Torro Rosso). Poor strategy for Kimi losing out on a potential podium but great recovery for the back of the grid for Vettel.

Just time to catch my breath before we go racing again in Malaysia! =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:58 am

The engine failure in Malaysia is a real blow for Hamilton who had been on course for a good win. This puts Rosberg in a very advantageous position. It was good to see the two McLaren drivers get into the points the team seem to have made useful improvements to the car, lets hope that continues.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:25 pm

SubHuman wrote:The engine failure in Malaysia is a real blow for Hamilton who had been on course for a good win. This puts Rosberg in a very advantageous position. It was good to see the two McLaren drivers get into the points the team seem to have made useful improvements to the car, lets hope that continues.

Just watched the VHS tape of Malaysia GP yesterday evening and certainly astonishing to see a Merc let go like that but what a marvellous fight it was between the two Red Bulls for the win!!! Also I very much enjoyed seeing such an impressive fight back from Rosberg especially the aggressive way Nico muscled his way past (old man) Kimi's Ferrari... shame about the penalty but his sheer race pace obliterated that for IMO a richly deserved podium. =D

Yep we have got Japan this weekend and coincidentally I have been familiarising myself with the Suzuka track on my Nintendo 2DS just the other day. After the second pit stop I found myself about 30 seconds behind the Sauber of Perez but in the final three laps I hunted him down to grab a surprising win. Early night for me so that I can be fresh to hear this particular race as it happens on BBC radio 5 Live tomorrow. :)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:03 pm

Who thought a damp patch on the grid would have such an effect on Hamilton starting the Japanese GP yesterday morning. Naturally a good fight back however he just couldn't do anything about Verstappen who continues to impress in the Red Bull. Shame about Ricardo not getting better than sixth but at least there was no chance of an Aussie shoey on the podium this time! A race with no incident, changeable weather or any retirements on a circuit where overtaking is almost impossible made for IMO a fairly unremarkable race. Still four races to go but Nico now has 33 points of Lewis which is certainly surprising. Wonder what will happen in Austin in a couple of weeks???
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:31 pm

Rosberg has a great chance of winning the drivers championship now baring bad luck, Hamilton made a real mess of the start which prevent him challenging for the lead.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:51 pm

Hamilton kept his chance of winning the 2016 championship alive with a win at the US Grand Prix, Rosberg did nothing wrong and still has the advantage. There was a great drive by Alonso to come 5th, the McLaren Honda is slowly improving this season but still needs a big step forward to challenge for podium places.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:40 am

Could be a bit spicy in Brazil as rain is forecast over the weekend whilst there will be driver changes for 2017 at Renault, Haas and Force India ;)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:45 am

If Rosberg wins in Brazil he will be world champion.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:08 pm

SubHuman wrote:If Rosberg wins in Brazil he will be world champion.

Sorry but that is stating the obvious!!! ;)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:17 pm

I thought Abu Dhabi was a great season finale especially with the Red Bulls and Ferrari's spicing things up with their pit stops. Yeah of course Hamilton was running out of ideas and it was expected he would attempt to back the field up in the closing stages but it seemed unlikely that both Vettel and Verstappen would pass Rosberg before the flag. Great shame that a mechanical failure ended Button's final race but he seemed in remarkably good spirits after the race having fun with a few television commentators (from Channel 4 & SKY).

Yeah I think Rosberg is a worthy champion but rather shocked and lost for words to hear that he will not be back to defend his title in 2017. Verstappen, Perez, Bottas or even Alonso for the second Mercedes seat next year or is there anyone else worth considering???
sarah t

Previous

Return to General discussion