2016 Formula 1

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: 2016 Formula 1

Postby sarah t » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:55 am

Just been looking at the highlights on Channel 4 iPlayer and regarding the incident that gets the most attention is the last lap collision and IMO Hamilton clearly turned into Rosberg but then what do you expect from a driver under pressure with likely engine replacement grid penalties later in the season. Admittedly great drives from both but I can well understand the fist punching in frustration coming from the pit garage and a potential 1-2 went out the window. 1-2's used to be common last year but in 2016 Mercedes aren't getting that level of results whether it be technical or driver related.

Unexpected and totally stunning from Jenson Button, sticking it in third place on the grid, second in the race for the first seven laps and with great pace throughout a richly deserved 6th place at the flag. Rather alarming the puncture for Vettel but at least it was on the start/finish straight so he didn't bury it in the barriers, something that Perez was unable to do on the last lap. Great for Vestappen but it all seemed to go wrong for Hulkenberg, second on the grid who slipped back and ultimately retired.

Not a bad race, very exciting end but a nasty and unwarranted collision leaves a sore taste in the mouth for viewers and drivers alike.

On to Silverstone now!
:)
sarah t

Postby Murfy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:57 pm

sarah t wrote: and IMO Hamilton clearly turned into Rosberg

Wow - I dont usually comment much on non-THL threads, but this one surprised me so much I thought I would this time.

Do you consider the 'incident' to be Hamiltons fault then Sarah? Your comments on the F1 are usually bang in tune with my thoughts on the races but are poles apart on this one.
IMO ;) Rosberg clearly failed to turn deliberately so that Hamilton would have nowhere to go except off-track.

I can accept that Rosberg was 'defending his position' & i'll even allow for his brake issues - But he knowingly went off the racing line and only turned the steering wheel at the point where Hamilton would have to back off or leave the track or worse damage his car.
As it turned out the only damage occurred to the instigator :p

The stewards obviously agree with this perspective too by their penalties dished out to Rosberg.
(Very lenient penalties too which I'm kinda glad about as it doesn't impact much on the championship standings).

Just for the sake of conversation - Would you care to expand on your views :)

Cheers,
Murf x
Murfy

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:30 pm

I'm with Murfy on this one. Hamilton was a nose length in front of Rosberg and he gave him a lot of room but instead of going to the apex Rosberg almost speared into Hamilton's car forcing him off the track. To make matters worse Rosberg then tried to force Hamilton on to the grass at the end of the run off area. This was all very immature of Rosberg and could have resulted in a very nasty accident, it was only Hamilton's driving skill that prevented this happening.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:30 am

I'm much clearer in my mind about this incident thanks to the clarity with which it was covered in the Radio 5Live podcast review of the race. IMO I think it was 50-50 as to whom was at fault.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:29 am

The stewards seemed to think that Rosberg was at fault, but at racing speeds it was almost a racing incident. Rosberg made a mistake earlier on in the lap and this allowed Hamilton to close up and attempt an overtaking manoeuver, which he's was always going to do given a chance. Hamilton was pretty relaxed about what had happened at the end of the race while Rosberg seemed a little peeved. if Rosberg had driven more sensibly he would have come second instead of forth and might even have won.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:12 am

Rosberg on pole for Hungary with Hamilton 2nd on the grid and with the top five all within 1 second we may have an interesting race later today. It was also good to see both McLaren Hondas in the top eight. If Hamilton gets close enough to make an attempt at passing it will be interesting to see what happens! :) :p =D
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:52 am

Hungary was a bit boring. At the first corner Hamilton got passed Rosberg and that was it as far as the lead was concerned. There was a little more action further back as various tyre strategies worked out but not a lot. Drive of the day was by Raikkonen who got from 14th on the grid to a 6th place finish but he couldn't get by Verstappen. Hamilton now leads the drivers championship by 6 points. Don't expect Rosberg to take this lying down.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:33 am

When I used to watch F1 Hungary was always a bit of a procession.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby sarah t » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:11 am

SubHuman wrote:Hungary was a bit boring. At the first corner Hamilton got passed Rosberg and that was it as far as the lead was concerned. There was a little more action further back as various tyre strategies worked out but not a lot. Drive of the day was by Raikkonen who got from 14th on the grid to a 6th place finish but he couldn't get by Verstappen. Hamilton now leads the drivers championship by 6 points. Don't expect Rosberg to take this lying down.

Nothing really to add to that except roll on Germany! :/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:36 am

Quite surprised by the German GP I expected much more from Rosberg. The stewards again interpreted Rosberg's driving as too aggressive, but the big surprise was his inability to catch up to Verstappen in the closing stages of the race. Hamilton's luck seems to have changed.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:35 pm

SubHuman wrote:Quite surprised by the German GP I expected much more from Rosberg. The stewards again interpreted Rosberg's driving as too aggressive, but the big surprise was his inability to catch up to Verstappen in the closing stages of the race. Hamilton's luck seems to have changed.

Few hours after the race and I couldn't remember what happened... not one of F1's finest! Hopefully the break will allow things to be more exciting when they resume at the best circuit in the world, Spa in Belgium (I love this race!).
:/
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:08 pm

Something good for the summer break... I picked up a second hand copy of 'Formula 1 2011' for the Nintendo 3DS https://www.amazon.co.uk/Codemasters-Limited-ECD866365-2011-Nintendo/dp/B005JB6IDS/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1471694302&sr=1-1&keywords=Formula+1 for just £4 from CEX in the Marlands Shopping Centre in Southampton yesterday.

It is truly stunning, the graphics are incredibly realistic and detailed and offers all circuits, teams and drivers for the 2011 season. Fantastically realised circuits, loads of settings you can change on the car, just like the real thing and you can take part in short race or full race weekend which offers all practice sessions, qualifying and the race. Some of the options you can change are tyre wear and suspension settings. The basic default is playing the season from start to finish as Vettel driving the Red Bull Renault starting in Australia but there is a random option on offer that throws up drivers and circuits other than the season opener. I've been racing most of the circuits, can't get anything out of racing at Monza but surprisingly I am very good around the Belgium Spa circuit and love the rise up Eau Rouge. So much to explore, so many challenges and options of this only Formula 1 game for the Nintendo 3DS (although at present all I have is a 2DS)... this will keep me fully entertained for years to come!
=D =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:34 am

Am I missing somethings? Thought this thread was about racing not Nintendo games! ;)
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:48 pm

Sarah, have you had a look at F1 for the PS4? Unbelievable graphics, and apparently some of the new drivers play it just to start getting used to the various corners. I would have bought it if it wasn't for the fact that the only Career Mode you can do is as one of the existing drivers. Surely if you're looking at taking a driver through an entire racing career you want it to be yourself, not someone that already exists - a massive flaw in the game imho.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:15 pm

SubHuman wrote:Am I missing somethings? Thought this thread was about racing not Nintendo games! ;)

Seems I was wrong, oh well it is the summer break. :lol:
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:30 pm

It's an F1 thread, Dave. We're discussing things to do with F1. Not tricky....
JJ

Postby sarah t » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:19 am

Sunday afternoon playing as Perez driving a Sauber (remember this is 2011) I got through qualifying (Q1, Q2 & Q3) by starting on Pole Position for the Canada GP. Quite exhausting to do the entire 70 laps but I should have won the race were it not for having to visit the pits five times. Yeah the normal pit stops (on laps 23 and 46) but frustrating to serve a 'stop and go' penalty and two drive through penalties, the last of which was on the final lap so I did not pass the checkered flag... bugger!

Currently doing the entire season championship as DiResta driving the Force India and have now 253 points to Vettels 146 but am not getting any help from my team mate in the Constructors where Red Bull are firmly in charge thanks to Webber. Entering round 14 and still having trouble with Monza with Q1 only posting a 4th fastest time but at least I am through to the next round.

Great to compete in qualifying (getting pole) and the Korean GP race as Kovelinan and winning the race... the Fin never had a chance back in 2011 driving that back-of-the-grid Lotus (formerly Caterham).
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:19 pm

JJ wrote:It's an F1 thread, Dave. We're discussing things to do with F1. Not tricky....

Sorry, I seem to have become anally retentive, I'm usually quite relaxed. :/
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:34 am

Sounded like a great race at Belgium on Sunday listening to the Radio 5Live coverage that afternoon. Not surprised that despite his engine penalties and starting at the very back that Hamilton managed to get onto the podium but just couldn't get within striking distance of Ricarido's Red Bull let alone Rosberg. Shame Verstappen couldn't get more out of the race for the many local fans whom had come specially to cheer him on but again he was in combat with Kimi's Ferrari. Neither scarlet car did particularly well despite starting well up the grid. Vettel charged well but a marvellous job by both Force India's meant that fifth was the best he was going to get out of this race. Lots of accidents and retirements... shame it was the wrong McLaren that went out but great job from Alonso to get into the points also from the back of the grid.

Just time to take a deep breath before we go to Monza for the Italian GP next weekend.
:)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:40 am

JJ wrote:Sarah, have you had a look at F1 for the PS4? Unbelievable graphics, and apparently some of the new drivers play it just to start getting used to the various corners. I would have bought it if it wasn't for the fact that the only Career Mode you can do is as one of the existing drivers. Surely if you're looking at taking a driver through an entire racing career you want it to be yourself, not someone that already exists - a massive flaw in the game imho.

I don't have the console to run a PS4 game but Nintendo 2DS F1 2011 is IMO superb! =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:40 am

As a ‘rookie driver’ (driving as myself) in Formula One on the Nintendo 3DS 2011 game there is no greater joy than winning your first race in your first season of the career section. For myself it happened at the Canadian GP where despite dropping back from pole position I fought back to claim victory. The next race however could not have been more different as I arrived at the Valencia track to find 100% rain where I had a very bad time. I qualified a lowly 21st and eventually after much effort and many drive through and stop-and-go penalties finished two laps down in 23rd out of 24 cars. I think it was my own fault attempting to tackle the difficult conditions on intermediate tyres. For the next event at Silverstone I took a different approach going through all the practice sessions and with more rain affecting the circuit I made the wise decision to switch to wet tyres. I found it better to go through the Friday and Saturday free practice sessions tweaking various settings both on my own initiative and with positive feedback from the team to get the optimum out of the car. This paid dividends as I managed pole position (my fifth of the season) and eventually (after having to restart the race six or seven times) finished an impressive 7th, some great points from a wet race! My next target has got to be attempting to get a much better start off the line as I invariably get swamped by the rest of the field and for the British GP there was much contact and spinning around, launching in the air and facing the wrong direction right from the off. It is German GP next which is thankfully dry and in addition to other set up changes which so far (in the first free practice session) I’m wondering if altering camber settings might be advantageous although I don’t understand what they actually effect on the car.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:59 am

As I don't have either a PS console or a Nintendo this is all Dutch to me. I suppose I could get something to play on a laptop although whether I would find the time is doubtful. =(

This year's Belgian GP was full of incident and Kimi is probably right when he say's that Verstappen is going to have one almighty shunt sooner or later. All racing drivers tread a very fine line between hard charging and recklessness but Verstappen goes over that line in most races, so someone he respects should take him aside and, using video evidence, point out the error of his ways.
Having said that it would be a pity if he goes too far down the safety first route, although that's probably not in his nature. Lewis did a fantastic job to get from last on the grid to third place, although he was assisted by the number of crashes and safety car periods. Bring on Monza, surely Ferrari will do better there.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:58 am

Monza gave us some surprises, the foremost being Hamilton taking so much time to recover from his slow start and then being unable to catch up with Rosberg who must now believe he has a good chance of winning the FIA F1 drivers championship. And Ferrari have definitely improved their car and may now get a win if Mercedes have similar problems as last year at Singapore.
There were some good drives further down the grid but no one stands out as being a real surprise. Its' a shame about Button retiring from F1 driving but I guess he's decided that without a winning car it's no longer worth his while to be taking the risk. I wonder what Alonso will do when his contract is term is up?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:49 am

SubHuman wrote:Monza gave us some surprises, the foremost being Hamilton taking so much time to recover from his slow start and then being unable to catch up with Rosberg who must now believe he has a good chance of winning the FIA F1 drivers championship. And Ferrari have definitely improved their car and may now get a win if Mercedes have similar problems as last year at Singapore.
There were some good drives further down the grid but no one stands out as being a real surprise. Its' a shame about Button retiring from F1 driving but I guess he's decided that without a winning car it's no longer worth his while to be taking the risk. I wonder what Alonso will do when his contract is term is up?

It was certainly a pleasant surprise when Hamilton fluffed the start and dropped back to 6th but I always knew he would fight back for a podium. Good to see the Ferrari's stronger at their home race but I think it is far too soon to talk about some sort of revival in their fortunes from one event.

I wasn't overly surprised by the news of Button's future however if you look deeper into the story you'll see he is not retiring, he contracted as a driver for two years and may possibly be back in 2018. in the meantime he is still getting mega bucks from McLaren for what he does away from the race track. All this has rather overshadowed the announcement of Felipe Massa retiring from Formula One at the end of the season. F1's nearly man (remember the Brazil finale in 2008) impressively resurrected his career at Williams after the serious injury he sustained at Budapest in 2009. I for one wish him well for the future!
sarah t

Postby JJ » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:30 pm

Interesting article on Bernie Ecclestone on the BBC website today.
JJ

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion