2016 Formula 1

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

2016 Formula 1

Postby SubHuman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:47 am

It's getting close, 20th March, for the Australian Grand Prix. I haven't heard much news yet, apart from the fact that the new Mercedes is astoundingly reliable and faster than anyone else. Oh dear another year of German engineering domination. Can I be bothered to watch a whole season of the Hamilton Rosberg show?
SubHuman

Re: 2016 Formula 1

Postby sarah t » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:59 pm

I feel a bit ambivalent to this season given that BBC have backed out of the last three years of the terrestrial contact and don't know how Channel 4 will do in their place. The main reason they got the rights to show races was that they would not interrupt live coverage with adverts... lessons have clearly been learnt from the ITV mess prior to BBC.

I have enjoyed the BBCiPlayer coverage but now with it shifting channels I don't know if there is the same sort of service offered by Channel 4. At least I can fall back to BBC radio 5Live plus their additional and well worth checking out Podcasts (via their website) but some of the odd hours races might still catch me out. I've got a friend whom is willing to tape Australia and after that I'll just see how things go. :/

Good luck to the three Brits on the grid Lewis (yep the Mercedes is likely to be still the car to beat), Jenson (another tough season I guess but hopefully they will at least be able to reduce the amount of race retirements) and newbie Jolyn Palmer in the Renault
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:27 pm

Apparently the 2016 McLaren Honda is running reliably and its' lap times would put it towards the top of the middle order. runners.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:47 pm

The Aussie GP was business as usual for Mercedes, although they had a scare at the start with Rosberg and Hamilton being beaten by the Ferarri drivers into the first corner and then Lewis dropping to seventh due to being out of position on the track. Mercedes then changed tyre strategy and Ferarri lost out when the tyres didn't perform as expect. Lewis drove a canny race to finish second to Rosberg. Fantastic first GP for Haas, but McLaren Honda haven't progressed much.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:53 pm

SubHuman wrote:The Aussie GP was business as usual for Mercedes, although they had a scare at the start with Rosberg and Hamilton being beaten by the Ferarri drivers into the first corner and then Lewis dropping to seventh due to being out of position on the track. Mercedes then changed tyre strategy and Ferarri lost out when the tyres didn't perform as expect. Lewis drove a canny race to finish second to Rosberg. Fantastic first GP for Haas, but McLaren Honda haven't progressed much.

Yeah watched a VHS taped copy of this last night and impressed with Palmer in the Renault particularly in holding off the Torro Rossos in the latter stages, shame he couldn't get into the points but bodes well for the rest of the season. On of the TR drivers was frankly being 'a bit of a prat' particularly in his radio messages to the team.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:32 am

Seems like it was worse than expected for Alonso as injuries sustained in the Australian GP crash has ruled him out of this weekends Bahrain and possibly China. I don't know whether it will be wise for him to ever come back because of what of the doctors have said...

The FIA statement said: “Following an examination undertaken this morning at the Bahrain International Medical Centre it has been decided that McLaren Honda F1 team driver Fernando Alonso should not take part in this weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix.

“Two sets of chest CT scans were compared and it was decided that there was insufficient resolution of the signs to allow him to compete on safety grounds.

“A repeat chest scan has been requested before the Chinese Grand Prix and the results will be considered before allowing him to race there.”

This gives McLaren test driver Stoffel Vandoorne his opportunity to debut for the team alongside Button which will be interesting as the incoming Vandoorne has been tipped to be the man to replace Jenson at what most people consider to be the Englishman's final season.

Yeah I've also heard the bad news reported in the English newspaper press yesterday that the likelihood is that after Channel 4 have done their three years/seasons F1 is going to move exclusively to the big money of SKY making rather an elitist sport for many. Definitely a very sad situation =( however this still quite a way off so the situation may change/improve over time... :/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:51 pm

There was quite a lot of overtaking in the Bahrain GP, but nobody overtook Rosberg who lead from start to finish, he look very happy at the end. Hamilton did damage limitation again after making another tardy start and then being hit by Bottas with a very optimistic overtaking manoeuvre. Another great race for Haas with Grosjean underlining he's a good driver by finishing in fifth place. Haas are rather showing how poor the McLaren is, even so it was a good race for stand-in driver Vandoorne who finished tenth. There were five dnfs including Vettel and Button, both with mechanical problems.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:17 pm

SubHuman wrote:There was quite a lot of overtaking in the Bahrain GP, but nobody overtook Rosberg who lead from start to finish, he look very happy at the end. Hamilton did damage limitation again after making another tardy start and then being hit by Bottas with a very optimistic overtaking manoeuvre. Another great race for Haas with Grosjean underlining he's a good driver by finishing in fifth place. Haas are rather showing how poor the McLaren is, even so it was a good race for stand-in driver Vandoorne who finished tenth. There were five dnfs including Vettel and Button, both with mechanical problems.

IMO Haas are doing great because of the heavy involvement of Ferrari in their team. Aside from that some good on track battles further down the back of the field for Torro Rosso, Renault, Sauber, Manor (no doubt benefiting from the Merc engine they now have) and Force India with lesser known 'newer' drivers. The top ten points scorers were exactly the same as last year apart for Perez as Force India had a pretty awful race but good for the McLaren test driver who got something out of his debut. Some comedy in the pit lane, particularly Torro Rosso whom fluffed one of Saintz stops. Surprised to see the Red Bulls both beating the Williams cars, Frank will not be happy with that! Bahrain was reasonably entertaining but I've certainly seen better races. :/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:39 am

Bad luck seems to be dogging Lewis Hamilton this year being back gridded 5 places at China after a gearbox change. Rosberg is once again heading the first practice times.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:03 pm

I didn't think thing could get much worse for Hamilton, but I was wrong. Now starting from the back of the grid after an engine failure. He should be able to get into the points with there right tyre strategy but I can't see him getting a podium, unless the weather intervenes and he makes the right tyre choices.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:42 am

China GP was a fantastic race, another collision right from the off with Kvyat's Red Bull came charging down the inside causing the Ferrari's to make contact and allow the Ricardo to somehow scamper off into the distance briefly ahead of Rosberg. Normal service resumed shortly after and Nico was never again challenged for the remainder of the race. Bad race Hamilton with that first lap knock from one of the Sauber's damaging his car, the front wing getting lodged underneath, no doubt resulting in damage to the floor/plank. Despite some great tyre strategies from his team this was a tough afternoon for Lewis who somehow managed to hold onto a disappointing seventh loosing a vast amount of distance to his teammate whom is no a full race win ahead in the driver points standing. Some great battles up and down the field and surprisingly McLaren Honda had a enjoyable highly competitive afternoon with both drivers dicing with the other cars... shame the eventually came away with nothing. An surprising podium was a good reflection of a very entertaining race... roll in Russia! =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:57 pm

I'm going to have to re-watch the Chinese Grand Prix as I fell asleep in the middle because I was rather tired. Rosberg will soon be out of sight if Hamilton's bad luck continues.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri May 06, 2016 10:25 am

Initially surprised by the Kvyatt/Verstappen swap but I think it makes perfect sense and I expect both Red Bull and Torro Rosso to be stronger from the better harmony between the drivers in the respective teams.

Regarding the Russian GP it was fairly entertaining stuff particularly the start and great to see both McLarens in the points but personally I would have preferred it if the positions were reversed between the two drivers.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon May 09, 2016 11:17 pm

Enjoyed watching the Russian Grand Prix it was better for Hamilton to come second than finish further down the field but he really needs a string of first places and for Rosberg to have some bad luck to get back on terms. It'll be interesting to see how well Verstappen goes in the Red Bull.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue May 17, 2016 10:33 am

As most teams do their winter testing there you'd expect a fairly dull predictable Spanish GP... but not this year!! :O

Yep definitely a 'racing incident' that put both Mercedes out at turn four... IMO I think both drivers were at fault. Rosberg had to correct engine settings led to a momentary inside gap but I think although a natural racer instinct Hamilton should have taken greater care in 'going for the fast disappearing inside gap', a pass that was never going to happen at that part of the circuit.

Anyway it felt almost scripted with local Spanish hero Sainz in the Torro Rosso started brilliantly before fading back down the field and surprise, surprise it became a battle between the Red Bulls and Ferraris and guess who got the win. In fairness I think Verstappen was aided by the Red Bull being superior to his previous Torro Rosso and that is even before they get their Canada upgrade but there was some good combat between all four drivers complete with different race strategies in play. Very bad luck for Ricardo to get that puncture so late on, he was looking particularly racy in the closing laps giving Vettel so welcome problems. Nothing much else for me stands out down the field but a good fun race nevertheless... looking forward to catching up with it on Channel 4 iPlayer later this week.
:)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue May 17, 2016 3:54 pm

I think both Hamilton and Rosberg contributed to the crash, but from previous experience Hamilton should have realized that Rosberg was going to closed the door. The race stewards decided it was a racing incident, I don't suppose that it will effect the constructors title but come the end of the season it may effect the drivers title. Verstappen was magnificent, didn't make any mistakes under a lot of pressure. It made a change having a different car win the race.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sun May 29, 2016 1:04 am

Wow Monaco has Ricciardo on pole followed by Rosberg and Hamilton, let's hope Nico and Lewis don't crash into each other this time!
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue May 31, 2016 10:12 am

SubHuman wrote:Wow Monaco has Ricciardo on pole followed by Rosberg and Hamilton, let's hope Nico and Lewis don't crash into each other this time!

Yeah great for Dan, shame his team fluffed up one of his pit stops by not having the tyres ready when he needed them. He gave Hamilton a really tough time but Lewis fought off well to gain a victory that I think makes up for last year... remember he also had pit stop problems when he was wrongly called in and dropped to third. Fantastic race for Perez in the Force India fighting off two former world champions to grab a much deserved podium. some good crashes/incidents and safety cars plus the unexpected rain weather all helped to further spice up this race.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue May 31, 2016 10:29 am

Monaco was quite an exciting race, Rosberg and Hamilton managed not to crash into each other this time. In fact Rosberg looked to be ill at ease in the rain whereas Hamilton was awesome and switched to the ultra soft slicks at just the right time. This and Ricciardo's unfortunate pit stop gave Lewis the win. A tremendous race for Perez who showed what he is capable of, this should surely have the top teams looking at him. Verstappen also excelled in the rain until bad luck caused him to crash.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:23 pm

The Canadian GP was another excellent race for Hamilton who did just enough to keep Rosberg behind him at the start. Vettel's start was awesome, Mercedes and Hamilton in particular really need to do something about their race starting procedure. Lewis did a good job of managing his tyres and fuel throughout the race and that combined with Ferrari's tyre strategy change allowed him to win. Vettel, Bottas and Verstappen all drove very well, Rosberg's race was compromised by his coming together with Hamilton. Further down the grid there were good results for Hulkenberg, Sainz and Perez, and there were DNFs for Button, Palmer and Massa. There are also rumours, apparently that Ferrari might dispense with Raikkonen before the end of the season.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:53 am

SubHuman wrote:The Canadian GP was another excellent race for Hamilton who did just enough to keep Rosberg behind him at the start. Vettel's start was awesome, Mercedes and Hamilton in particular really need to do something about their race starting procedure. Lewis did a good job of managing his tyres and fuel throughout the race and that combined with Ferrari's tyre strategy change allowed him to win. Vettel, Bottas and Verstappen all drove very well, Rosberg's race was compromised by his coming together with Hamilton. Further down the grid there were good results for Hulkenberg, Sainz and Perez, and there were DNFs for Button, Palmer and Massa. There are also rumours, apparently that Ferrari might dispense with Raikkonen before the end of the season.

Only just been watching the race on Channel 4 iPlayer and IMO hardly the most exciting that Montreal has ever offered (e.g. no crashes or safetly cars and top two were decided fairly early on)

1. yes it truly was 'hammer time' for Hamilton this time out
2. indeed a stunning start from Vettel
3. the brief touch between the Mercedes shortly after the start weakened Rosberg's chances but there was plenty of fight in him for all of the race. amazing last gasp attempt to grab fourth where he was so lucky not to stick in the wall on that final lap. Definitely seems like there is a shift of power between the drivers at the moment with Hamilton certain to take the lead of the championship at some point in the next couple of races.
4. A podium is just what Bottas needed particularly with Raikkonen hardly setting the track alight with another typical performance. Yeah it would be a good idea if they got someone else there alongside Vettel but who would you take... Perez, Sainz or maybe Bottas???
5. Pretty gutted that Button's car let him down just as he was starting to put Alonso under pressure but at least Fernando didn't score any points.

Not long now until the next race!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:02 pm

Be nice if Button joined Ferrari. Seems that the drivers like Baku it's got long straights and easily recognisable corners. It's a low down force circuit so it probably won't suit Red Bull cars but will be great for Mercedes and Ferrari engined cars. Another win for Hamilton?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:16 pm

Isn't it time we had a relaxing of the pit-to-car radio communication ruling. It was a joke in Baku with Hamilton fiddling frantically with switches on his steering wheel hearing that his team knew what the answer to his problem was but couldn't tell him. Almost sounded like the Hamilton of old as emotions got heated but you can understand what time has he for finding out an answer to a technical problem when he is traveling in excess of 200mph.

As to the race, seemed fairly routine I think although another stunning drive from Perez particularly with him managing to split the Ferrari's and bag a second podium of the season.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:30 pm

W.R.T. pit to driver communication the FIA will say rules are rules and even if they decided to change this one they won't change it until next season.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:37 am

Hamilton on pole and if it rains perhaps Button can win the Austrian Grand Prix. :)
SubHuman

Next

Return to General discussion