General Discussion Thread

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: General Discussion Thread

Postby Electric Dream » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:57 pm

I can't remember the night you mean in Camden JJ.

Adham popped into the pub to say hello to some of us before the Sheffield gig but he couldn't stay long. He's still full of beans and enthusiasm - it was like a whirlwind had hit us, then he was off again, haha!
Electric Dream

Postby JJ » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:44 am

ED: I think it was the first time you lot met Louise. I'm 95% sure also that Sean Turner DJ'ed.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby Electric Dream » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:25 pm

Oh aye - that would have been at The Verge on Kentish Town Road :)
Electric Dream

Postby JJ » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:56 pm

Been in Rome for two days. Walked for so many hours my feet are screaming. If I never have to walk on an ancient cobbled road again it'll be too soon.
JJ

Postby cs15 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:15 am

JJ did you visit the catacombs? We did the catacombs of Saint Sebastian and it was my favourite thing we did whilst in Rome although the entire city is amazing. Dirty, very dirty but amazing.
cs15

Postby JJ » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:50 am

I did them last time I was here. Not done it yet on this trip.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:25 am

There are some Roman tombs under St Peters, apparently, mainly pagan. I'm not sure if they're open to the public or just for archaeologists to crawl around.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:08 pm

SubHuman wrote:There are some Roman tombs under St Peters, apparently, mainly papal.

EFA. And yes they are open - went down there at the beginning of the week.

Did a day-trip to Florence today: Academia (to see the statue of David), the Duomo (which is still the most beautiful building I've ever seen), Ponte Vecchio, Santa Croce, time for a quick coconut gelato, then a couple of hours round the Uffizi. Hectic but I've always loved Florence and wanted the kids to see some important stuff!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:51 am

JJ, have your children been impressed by the many fountains in Rome? This was started by the Romans who placed a fountain, at the end of all of Rome's aqueducts, as a place for the populace to draw water. The surplus water from the fountains then flowed down drains to flush excrement thought the sewers and into the Tibur. Quite an efficient system for it's time.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:16 am

Yes they have. We're staying at Piazza Navona which has 3 of its own. And thankfully Trevi wasn't shrouded in scaffolding.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:42 am

Sounds like a great holiday JJ.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:30 pm

cs15 wrote:JJ did you visit the catacombs? We did the catacombs of Saint Sebastian and it was my favourite thing we did whilst in Rome although the entire city is amazing. Dirty, very dirty but amazing.

We're just back from the San Callisto catacombs. Can't remember which ones I did last time (20 years ago) but the kids thought it was amazing. Being mid-winter it was virtually deserted. But that's been the case for nearly everything on this trip - few people around, and we didn't even queue to get into the Vatican Museum > Sistine Chapel, nor to get into the Academy in Florence to see Michelangelo's David - usually the queue for both those is literally round the block.
JJ

Postby cs15 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:00 pm

I felt very odd being in the Vatican surrounded by enormous wealth knowing that outside the walls there was huge poverty. If they (Catholic church) sold just 1% of their gigantic art collection they could solve all the poverty in Italy.

Having said that, in true hypocritical fashion, I loved the Sistine Chapel. Loved the quietness of it and just sitting on the wooden benches gazing skyward.
cs15

Postby JJ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:04 pm

We're now in Dubai and staying at the Westin, so nothing too flash... and yet for breakfast they want AED125...EACH!! That's about Aus$180 / £110. They must be joking!!

That is, until we went to Burj Khalifa earlier today, which is the tallest building in the world. They have an observation deck at level 124 which costs...wait for it... AED500. EACH!!! So AED2,000 for the 4 of us = Aus$726 / £430 just to get a good view of Dubai. I could do a helicopter trip for considerably less than that. I nearly laughed when the lady selling the tickets told me. Talk about ridiculous!
JJ

Postby Danny C » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:56 pm

Ridiculous money. You could probably buy four of the indentured workers who built it for that.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby JJ » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:36 am

Just done it - booked online at the hotel for around 1/5th of the cost!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:51 am

More problems for the Galileo GNSS system, with clock failures being reported. Fortunately all of the satellites have four clocks, but this does potentially threaten the 18 year operational life of the satellites.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:54 am

Due to weather and other commitments cycling has been greatly delayed however yesterday after a gap of eight weeks I put in my first full days cycling of the new year mainly just to get the attached pic.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/sarahta1102/P2132415_zpsrrcqpqet.jpg

Glorious sunshine and blue skies throughout and not as cold as it was a few days ago. Lots of twists, turns, slow bits and fast bits particularly the downhill run into Salisbury (29 miles from Southampton)... freewheeling for about two miles cracking 30+ mph, what a buzz/rush!!!
Set off 6.30am, less than an hour until daylight, back around 4.00pm with a total distance of 57 miles. Great fun!!! =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:03 pm

sarah t wrote:Due to weather and other commitments cycling has been greatly delayed however yesterday after a gap of eight weeks I put in my first full days cycling of the new year mainly just to get the attached pic.

Glorious sunshine and blue skies throughout and not as cold as it was a few days ago. Lots of twists, turns, slow bits and fast bits particularly the downhill run into Salisbury (29 miles from Southampton)... freewheeling for about two miles cracking 30+ mph, what a buzz/rush!!!
Set off 6.30am, less than an hour until daylight, back around 4.00pm with a total distance of 57 miles. Great fun!!! =D

Hi Sarah, what route did you take? Have to say I would have guessed it was farther than 29 miles, shows how bad I am at estimating distances on a map.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:36 pm

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:Due to weather and other commitments cycling has been greatly delayed however yesterday after a gap of eight weeks I put in my first full days cycling of the new year mainly just to get the attached pic.

Hi Sarah, what route did you take? Have to say I would have guessed it was farther than 29 miles, shows how bad I am at estimating distances on a map.

It was through Timsbury, East and West Dean and then through Lockerley which is parallel to A36, then back via the B338... the plan was to swing through Romsey but instead I strangely found myself going through the New Forest and then Cadham and Totton. Still it was a great day out! =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:52 am

Sarah, how did you miss the turning for Romsey? Surely it's signposted off of the B road, maybe you need a lightweight GPS receiver for your handlebars.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:26 pm

SubHuman wrote:Sarah, how did you miss the turning for Romsey? Surely it's signposted off of the B road, maybe you need a lightweight GPS receiver for your handlebars.

It really didn't matter, the Cadham/Totton route was just as good as going via Romsey... I really don't want to be bothered by too much tech when cycling although definitely a compass would come in handy!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:20 pm

Speaking as a techie, you can never have too much technical gear: dmm, oscilloscope, sig gen, sat nav, IPhone, Ipod, Ipad, laptop and sonic screwdriver. But when it comes to navigation you can't beat a map or a chart.

When you've no compass a watch and a good look at the position of the sun is a good substitute, as any boy scout will tell you.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:47 am

@Dave - you took the weather with you, it rained for a whole week after you left!

Strong winds whipped up in Sydney over the weekend, so the Manly Ferry looked like this. Not quite as sedate / requiring the factor 50 as when we did it!!

JJ

Postby JJ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:33 am

Here are a handful of pics I took on holiday.

1. The ceiling in the Maps Room of the Vatican Museum
Ceiling2.jpg
Ceiling2.jpg (126.1 KiB) Viewed 222 times

2. The Baldacchio and Dome in St.Peter's
StPeters1.jpg
StPeters1.jpg (293.01 KiB) Viewed 222 times

3. This is the huge scale model of Hogwarts they used in the Harry Potter films (my kids are big fans).
HarryP1.jpg
HarryP1.jpg (295.84 KiB) Viewed 222 times
JJ

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion