General Discussion Thread

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: General Discussion Thread

Postby Electric Dream » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:30 pm

JJ wrote:HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ED!! Hope you have a great day!! :)

Thanks JJ - it was the 17th but close enough ;) :lol:
(only just noticed this)
Electric Dream

Postby sarah t » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:56 am

Been a few weeks but finally got this tricky, challenging jigsaw completed at Portswood library...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/sarahta1102/P4252445_zpsrngeqc97.jpg

I haven't mentioned cycling but thought I'd say that last 'full day out' was on 3rd April, a round trip distance of 60 miles down to Milford on Sea just past Lymington. Binoculars at the ready but when I got down to the beach, I couldn't see anything at all!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/sarahta1102/P4032430_zpsr5tudgzu.jpg

Still good bit of exercise and it was sunshine and blue skies there and back just not when I reached the objective destination.
sarah t

Postby JJ » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:56 pm

Electric Dream wrote:Thanks JJ - it was the 17th but close enough ;) :lol:

Which is why I posted it on the 17th... (my time ;))
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby sarah t » Fri May 12, 2017 10:26 am

Monday was the first time I've been 'across the water' to the other side of the city but instead of going the direct route over the Itchen Bridge I took a more scenic route crossing the Northam Bridge and making my way through Peartree Common and into Woolston.

Woolston itself is in the midst of partial renovation with giant apartment blocks going up near the waterfront on the old Vosper Thornecroft ship building site whilst further back more familiar traditional semi-detached houses give a more typical suburban feel. There is a new library which I spent a short while in and speaking to one of the staff there they said it had only been open for about a year. Pleasant enough but personally I felt, like Shirley library it had no sole/character to it and for me it just made me appreciate the cosy period style of one hundred year old small Portswood library which I visit at least once a week at present. Before the library opened at 10.00am I had quite a bit of time to walk a bit further along Victoria Road which eventually leads into a footpath/cycle path heading along to Netley Abbey and a very large country park. As I sat on a park bench surveying the opposite shoreline and picking out Hythe, Ocean Village and other familiar landmarks on a very pleasant sunny day I thought this is definitely an area that I need to explore further on my bicycle.

Here's a good shot looking across the water, under the Itchen Bridge various landmarks in the distance. You can see how close to the water St Marys Football Stadium is and between and behind the large council housing block is where I live. The church spire above the red bottomed boat marks the end of St Marys Street, a road parallel to me and to the right of this the tiny white tower with green slanting roof is the clock tower of the Civic Centre here in the heart of Southampton.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/sarahta1102/P5082460_zps5kb9kd5f.jpg

I think this a great shot to show the footpath/cycle path that leads towards Netley Abbey and country parks down that way. I didn't have too much time to explore, on foot the entire length of this. That is clearly for another day!
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/sarahta1102/P5082466_zps32jwcczh.jpg
:)
sarah t

Postby StevieD » Sat May 13, 2017 11:21 pm

If anyone fancys a bit of a music quiz, try challenging me on SongPop. It's an app you can play via Facebook on your PC or via an app on your phone.
There are various categories and genres to choose from and it's a bit of fun as well as being free.
This is how to find me.....

Do you want to play a music quiz game with me? Check out my Music Profile on SongPop: http://www.songpop2.com/profile/5699164824403968 My username is a80sfan - http://www.songpop2.com/play
StevieD

Postby sarah t » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:14 am

Anyone been checking out the monthly 'History of Rock' magazines? I've just seen the most recent, for 1988 and IMO it is very boring, nothing really of note in it. Again IMO I think the best of the 80s has now long gone in this publication.

I got 1979 and 1981 but as each issue comes out it just makes me really upset that I missed out on getting 1982. =( Yeah I know back issues can be got online but I am still hoping that 1982 might crop up on the shelves of our local WH Smith as they do have various year editions alongside the most recent.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:14 pm

sarah t wrote:Anyone been checking out the monthly 'History of Rock' magazines? I've just seen the most recent, for 1988 and IMO it is very boring, nothing really of note in it. Again IMO I think the best of the 80s has now long gone in this publication.

This may be because after 86 the charts started to become filled with rap, SAW acts and little boy and girl bands.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:46 pm

Still digesting what the results of the UK general election means for us going forward??? Haven't go a clue, except that it means a period of political instability with a conservative leadership battle and another general election before the five years is up. What joy!!! :O
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:20 am

Dave you should know by now: politics and religion can be filed under 'discuss elsewhere'.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:00 am

JJ wrote:Dave you should know by now: politics and religion can be filed under 'discuss elsewhere'.

Not really discussing politics just registering my dismay at the prospect.
SubHuman

Postby kraftwerkdave » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:39 pm

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:Anyone been checking out the monthly 'History of Rock' magazines? I've just seen the most recent, for 1988 and IMO it is very boring, nothing really of note in it. Again IMO I think the best of the 80s has now long gone in this publication.

This may be because after 86 the charts started to become filled with rap, SAW acts and little boy and girl bands.

What, like Erasure and the Pet Shop Boys?
kraftwerkdave

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Hahaha. =D
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:50 am

Don't you just love (in the UK at least) this time of year with daylight early in the morning and late evening.

Felt like I somewhat, 'on a mission' yesterday, but as it transpired I seemed to do much more than I was anticipating . I set off just after 6.00am and eventually got back to my flat at 4.40pm. Initially it was going through Winchester and then Kings Worthy and then through Stoke Charity. As you can see from the below picture I stopped off, on the way back at the duck pond in Crawley...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/sarahta1102/P6122519_zps656dgiqn.jpg

Now I could have taken the more direct return through Sparsholt and then retrace my original outgoing route but instead I pushed onto pass through the main high street of Stockbridge and then back through Houghton and Mottisfont and eventually passing through North Baddesley. Very surprising I thought that yesterday I put in fifty-seven miles!

This is my favourite shot from 22nd April when I visited Royal Victoria Country Park, the magnificent Military hospital that is currently being renovated (completion summer of 2018)...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/sarahta1102/P5222500_zpsa7kxaxcz.jpg

A couple more photos from the fairly minimal (27 miles) cycling on that Monday this time featuring Hamble (a lane down to the water and at the waters edge)...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/sarahta1102/P5222495_zps9cqsdjcz.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/sarahta1102/P5222497_zpsntz1kvte.jpg
:)
sarah t

Postby JJ » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:09 pm

I used to love those long June days, Sarah. Pre kids I used to go and play golf after work. Even if I was held up I could still see at nearly 10pm.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:52 am

Interesting pics Sarah. Know what you mean about the long summer days, today it was still fairly light at about 2200 and it wasn't totally dark until about half an hour later.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:21 am

Can't believe what's happening in London at the moment, seems like it's a year when truly awful things are going on. Where will it end!
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:50 pm

It's damn hot in Wiltshire, it was about 30 Deg C yesterday, it feels even warmer today and I haven't cook dinner yet! :cool:
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 am

SubHuman wrote:It's damn hot in Wiltshire, it was about 30 Deg C yesterday, it feels even warmer today and I haven't cook dinner yet! :cool:

Southampton is another part of the UK where we have been sweltering in the heat for most of this week. No epic cycle ride for me to start this week instead I took a walk up to Lordswood Greenway, up behind the sports centre grounds, about 90 minutes from where I live. Stunning with lots of large trees, grass and a large amount of footpaths with plenty of scope to ramble over a vast area mostly in the shade... a very important aspect when the sun is beating down so much.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:41 am

When invited via email I don't mind doing the occasional YouGov survey although there a few that I simply don't bother with like for example recently I was swamped with lots of politically themed ones.

it is certainly worth totting them up because when you reach 5000 points YouGov send you a cheque for £50. I didn't think I had done that many but yesterday checking my account balance it told me that I had 7125 points so naturally I have requested a much appreciated cheque to wing its way to me in the next few weeks... now there is something to smile about!!! =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:08 pm

I felt so strongly about this that here it is in the letters page of yesterdays Southern Daily Echo local paper both in full page and close up...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/sarahta1102/P6242522_zpsrmvk82bg.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/sarahta1102/P6242523_zpsctfxejvo.jpg
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:11 am

Crumbs Sarah, unfortunately it's what I've come to expect given the low life criminals we have in our country. It's also the case that rather than stealing, it may have been vandals "having a laugh". Rather than locking vans up it might be better to fit tracker devices and have some prospect of recovery.
SubHuman

Previous

Return to General discussion