General Discussion Thread

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: General Discussion Thread

Postby JJ » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:47 am

For the first time in my life I'm spending the night in hospital as I had a hernia of the belly button which I had to have surgery on so been listening to lots of THL etc. But OMG!!! Getting out of bed for the first time... WOW that hurts. No idea how you ladies cope with a C-section - I am once again in total awe of you!! Worst thing is, no football for at least 2 months, but doing anything other than lying still in fetching long socks seems very far away right now.

Another bummer is that I was going to see Howard Jones and Kim Wilde on Friday. That is soooo not now happening. :(
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby crowbaby » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:19 am

Oh no John! Hope you feel better soon. I am seeing Howard and Kim on the 12th. Can't wait :)
crowbaby

Postby SubHuman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:06 am

John I had no idea you could get a hernia there :O, sounds most unpleasant, how long will it be painful?
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:37 am

Too fucking long.
JJ

Postby JJ » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:39 am

I also found out that as I was having it done by keyhole surgery they go in via two holes at your side. Except for me they've gone in through six - SIX - different places, going through a muscle each time. No wonder it hurts even to breathe.
JJ

Postby JJ » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:41 am

And by the way Dave, an umbilical hernia is very common apparently.
JJ

Postby Electric Dream » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:45 am

Oh no! Hope you have a speedy recovery. Shame about missing the gig though :(
Electric Dream

Postby Danny C » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:29 pm

Surely they can dose you up with painkillers for one evening, JJ ;)

I saw Howard Jones earlier this year, he was great. A shame if you can't make it.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby SubHuman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:19 pm

JJ wrote:I also found out that as I was having it done by keyhole surgery they go in via two holes at your side. Except for me they've gone in through six - SIX - different places, going through a muscle each time. No wonder it hurts even to breathe.

Six for the price of two sounds like a good deal to me. Still look on the bright side you might have been flying to the UK for this year's tour and had it just before you got on the plane.
SubHuman

Postby Knowlesy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:49 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you're not well John. Make sure they give you loads of painkillers. Get some morphine if you can. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you're feeling much better soon :)
Knowlesy

Postby JJ » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:20 pm

Thanks Stephen. Morphine was certainly the order of the day in hospital. Now I'm home it's just a panadol / panadeine forte combination. ;)
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:40 am

Hope you get better soon John and this doesn't cramp your activities for too long.
SubHuman

Postby Knowlesy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:14 pm

Panadol? You're recovering from a serious hernia operation not dealing with man flu. Jesus, discharge nurses must be the same all over the world. If you're still in serious discomfort get in touch with your GP and get a prescription for something much stronger. At least a week's supply. I presume that you have dissolvable stitches and when those guys tighten you will know all about it. Take care of yourself.
Knowlesy

Postby SubHuman » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:27 am

JJ you need codeine or tramadol for really vicious pain.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:14 am

Guys it's all good!

But you're right about the dissolvable stitches Stephen... wowser! Those babies have teeth...
JJ

Postby crowbaby » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:53 pm

JJ - Just saw Howard Jones and Kim Wilde - great show, Howard was on first, both played for about 1 hour 15 mins, finale was Howard, Kim, Scarlett and Ricky doing "God Only Knows (Beach Boys) which was cool.
Interesting moment between the sets, with DYWM being played and the full house went off, singing with much gusto :)
crowbaby

Postby JJ » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:10 pm

Excellent - glad you had fun Karen!
JJ

Postby sarah t » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:18 am

Just reflecting on last week...

On another subject coming back onto the Golden Grove estate on Thursday morning from my regular ALDI shop I noticed a medium sized rectangular wooden table under the exterior of stairs to one of the housing blocks. Mulling it over I went back the following day and picking it up returned it to the drying room of our block of flats to see what the problem was and give it a full clean with washing up liquid and CIF cream. It was that the 'H' shaped base was not properly secured so I picked up both top and bottom pieces, took them up to the Oxfam bookshop with my trusty multi-use screwdriver (many thanks for that, what a fantastic item that is!) and with it upside down on the workbench I tapped out the screws with a small hammer, checked the holes on the base and the reverse of the top surface and reattached both with new screws. Great success as it is now a completely solid secure unit that we've put in the shop for display purposes. I like to think I am a fairly practical person and am delighted at this minor triumph to find use out of something that had been thrown away by one of the Golden Grove residents.

Thought to good to reflect on something good that I have done particularly at the moment for me.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:51 am

Sarah, a lot of people dispose of items simply because they don't have the necessary skills to fix them. I regularly see bicycles at our local skip depot that only require a bit of maintenance to make them serviceable again. In fact one of the charities frequently sends a van there to pick up obvious candidates for renovation.

Anyway glad that you haven't lost your cando attitude.
SubHuman

Postby Knowlesy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:43 am

JJ wrote:Guys it's all good!

But you're right about the dissolvable stitches Stephen... wowser! Those babies have teeth...

Glad to hear you're getting better John :) Yes you can actually feel those stitches at work. But it's worth the short term pain for the long term gain.
Knowlesy

Postby Knowlesy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:48 am

Hi all. I don't know if any of you have watched the wonderful and inspirational children participating in the Rickshaw Challenge for this year's Children in Need but if you have you can only be overwhelmed by their determination, bravery and kindness. I find this very moving and hope that you would be kind and generous and make a donation to this wonderful charity today - https://www.childreninneed-donations.co.uk/
Knowlesy

Postby Electric Dream » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:22 pm

Electric Dream

Postby Knowlesy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:07 pm

I do Tracy :) How could I ever forget him 'serenading' us with his unique rendition of INYL at that mad night in Camden :lol: A really likeable guy, it's no surprise that he's doing these sort of challenges. His energy levels and enthusiasm are still as remarkable as ever. I'd say his colleagues in the record shop love him. He's welcome back here anytime.
Knowlesy

Postby JJ » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:00 am

Electric Dream wrote:Some of you may recognise this guy ;)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/short ... ham-fisher

Haha, I was only thinking of him the other day. He did a 12" single and gave me a copy, and I came across it recently. That evening in Camden was just fantastic - I still remember it clearly, and not least Adham's break-dancing - both brilliant and hilarious at the same time.

We didn't quite have enough of those sort of gatherings, did we...? =(
JJ

Postby sarah t » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:26 am

Very thick fog here in Southampton this morning, down to 100 metres... can't remember when we had such a dense pea soup like start like this...
sarah t

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion