The Gaming Thread (Consoles, PC etc)

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

The Gaming Thread (Consoles, PC etc)

Postby JJ » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:28 am

Discuss all things gaming here - Playstation, X-Box, Nintendo / Wii / DS, PC etc. Also discuss old arcade games if that's your thing (for example, I was very good at Gorf, but frustratingly not very good at Defender - remember them?)

I'm going to write a thesis on FIFA when I have a sec. :) I might then do a weekly career-mode update if I can be arsed.

@Sarah, how about copying all your F1 game posts into one on here?

My issue this week was the forced sale of my potential 91-rated Italian left back Antonio Pepe. My scouts discovered him as a 15 year old, and as soon as he turned 16 I signed him up. I trained him 'til his eyes bled, and at 22 years old he was already up to 86, 6 feet 4 tall, with massive ratings for tackling, interceptions, strength, stamina, passing, aggression and heading, and surprisingly for a defender was also 4-star skills-rated (out of 5). His value was 35,000,000. I play a formation 3-4-1-2, and I played him in the centre of the 3, as he was also two-footed (4* for his "wrong" foot).

But then disaster struck - he got homesick. Poor Pepe, on 650,910* a week, decided he was unhappy. :mad: Usually the Board of Directors leaves it to me to decide on transfer strategy, but this time they simply emailed me to say words to the effect "Pepe is unhappy, we can't have that situation, so we're going to sell him - sorry!" Next thing I knew, another email from the Board "The sale of Pepe to Barcelona has been completed for 45,000,000, and we have allocated 37,000,000 to your transfer budget." Just like that...pffft....gone. All that training! And as usual they didn't even give me all the money to use. =(

*the 91 part is because when I set their first salaries when I move them from the youth squad to the senior squad, for the 'hundreds' part I use the mid-point of their potential rating, so I can keep a track on it. Sor for example if a player's potential is showing as 85-91, I'll set their first salary as X,880.

That was in the mid-season transfer window, so I thought in the next window I'd try and buy him back. I made an offer to Barcelona, and included as part of the deal a young right winger who has "potential to be special" (that means a rating of 90+). They accepted, so I got to negotiate with Pepe. Barcelona were paying him 120k a week, and his requested salary was 160k p/w. Easy. In fact to make sure I offered him a 5 year contract on 500k pw. "That'll do it" I thought... Then I get his response: "I could never play for your club again, the fans would never accept me. But if you want to revise your offer I might be able to consider it." Hmmm, Pepe's got greedy in Spain, I thought. But I had squillions in the bank, so offered him 1,000,910 per week. I got the same answer, so I thought bollocks to that, stay in Spain. Still, he was an ugly looking brute...
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Re: The Gaming Thread (Consoles, PC etc)

Postby SubHuman » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:06 am

Good idea John there must be a lot of games players amongst form members.
SubHuman

Postby Stig Olsen » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:34 pm

Part of a bunch middel-aged old men (and a few women) who still plays Unreal Tournament - an online FPS team-match game from waaay back - used to be in a clan, but i'm just to old for that now, but play it almost every evening for an hour or two - mainly because of the hilarous and educational team-speak (english only), which consists of nutters from England (the noisy/complaining ones), Germany (sudden bursts of 'verdammt' or 'scheisse' otherwise quiet but nice), Poland (talks alot but no one understands a word), Norway (political correct, sick sense of humour), Sweden (mostly drunk and burping alot), then we have guys from Croatia, Russia, Ukraine (let's just say politics are not a hot topic), Israel, Hungary and an extremely nice, intelligent, funny and overall nice bloke from Denmark....;-)

It's the only game I play AT all.
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby JJ » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:33 pm

Stig Olsen wrote:and an extremely nice, intelligent, funny and overall nice bloke from Denmark....;-)

Great that Niels plays, too. :p
JJ

Postby JJ » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:42 pm

FIFA16
I'm a bit annoyed with myself this morning. Yesterday the transfer window closed at the end of August. I have a 22 year old CAM (that's central attacking midfielder, so the number 10 role if you prefer) called Emanuel Aguiar. A Brazilian who, like all my players, came up through the youth team. Plenty of skills etc, but not enough pace, and definitely not enough stamina. His potential was 90, but I think he'll fall a couple short of that, and he's currently rated 80 and worth 11m so I stuck him on the transfer list (something I hardly ever do). With 3 hours to go on deadline day LOSC Lille put in a bid for 13.7m - very tempting, but I counter-offered with 15.7m. One more hour gone and Lille say OK, they'll pay that - great! But then they don't get the paperwork done in time, so the deadline passed and I now have a very unhappy CAM on the books who won't get too much game time unless I have injuries or suspensions. I should have just accepted the 13.7m and then he'd have gone, and I'd have had 12m+ to spend on higher wages for my remaining players. Bugger.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:07 am

Stig is there a Real Tournament as well?

JJ, FIFA16 sounds too complicated for me, is there much bribery?
SubHuman

Postby Stig Olsen » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:43 am

JJ wrote:Great that Niels plays, too. :p
cheeky bugger!

SubHuman wrote:Stig is there a Real Tournament as well?
Yeah, we have a yearly tournament with laserguns in the woods... but if it was a meant as a stab at my online comment, the game can also be played off-line with bots :p ;)
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby SubHuman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:49 am

Just curious.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:48 pm

SubHuman wrote:JJ, FIFA16 sounds too complicated for me, is there much bribery?

No, it's not that realistic.
JJ

Postby JJ » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:46 am

I really wanted to finish FIFA16, but I'm only on year 11 of 15 in Manager mode, and now FIFA17 is out.

Started my new career in 17, and there are a few notable changes from 16. For a start I'd query why the ref appears to be wearing shin pads, but also why nearly every foul results in a yellow or red card. Also, it's much more difficult for the players to turn quickly when trying to chase someone.

The players now have a new "composure" rating and there are additional ways the manager will be assessed, including that I have to add 15% to the value of the club within 2 years. That's actually pretty tough when I rely on youth team players to come through, as they usually take 3-4 years of training and loan spells before their values start shooting up. Add to that the fact that Palace is valued at around 460m, so that means I need to add 69m+ to the value of the club. It shows me which shirts sell the most and stuff like that, but that'll never be enough on its own. Thankfully my league table objective is only to finish mid table, and in the cup to reach the last 16. I'd expect to over-achieve on those and get some positive points in the bank with the Board.

I've started off OK - mostly wins - but I'm finding it a bit more difficult. I'm only reasonably happy with my 3 youth scouts - they've not found too much to get the juices flowing yet, but their judgement is all 4* or 5* so I'll be patient. It was funny that in real life, when Sunderland scored against us the other week we went straight down the other end and got one back, and in 17, Sunderland scored and...you guessed it...straight down the other end. Except I ended up drawing that game 1-1 whereas in reality we beat them 3-2 with a last-gasp winner.

The biggest bummer was that in the pre-season tournament I entered in Asia, Christian Benteke broke his feckin' ankle and is out for 3 months. :mad: As a result I've had to promote Bakary Sako to the team - he's a bit of a beast, very strong, and much better than in real life, but still only a 74. Then James MacArthur twisted his knee (4 weeks out). I think I'm going to need to recall Jonny Williams from his loan spell at Ipswich, as I'm a bit short in the CAM department. He's only a 73 but I got him up to 80 on FIFA16, so that'll help in the value stakes. I'm also training Wilfired Zaha till it hurts to get him up as far as I can / as soon as I can.
JJ

Postby JJ » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:02 pm

Bloody hell, FIFA17 is a lot hard than its predecessor. I got knocked out of the EFL cup 0-2 at home by Watford last night, and followed that up with a 1-3 defeat to Southampton, also at home.

I've recalled Jonny W from his Ipswich loan, but half my squad is a bunch of kids who'll never be any good, and it takes time to get the youth team players up to speed. I have at least found 3 potentially great young goalkeepers though, so I'll blitz them with training and see who looks like the best bet. As Speroni is retiring at the end of the season and Wayne Hennesey wants to leave I might actually sign two of the young GKs. Lack of burning pace is a big problem, so I might have to turn to my perennial favourite buy - Cedrick Mabwati - a left winger with high 90s sprint speed and acceleration.

But to paraphrase what the players email to me when they're feeling homesick "but no, it's not easy."
JJ

Postby sarah t » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:27 pm

Still getting used to using my new orange/black Nintendo 3DS XL which I've had for a few weeks. Heavier than my 2DS but fortunately it uses the same mains adapter. This is good as you don't get one with the 3DS XL. It is only used at home as I've yet to get a protective travelling case. Meantime I still use my 2DS most days and posted this from it on Saturday afternoon.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:59 pm

Disaster with Formula 1 2011 game as a error developed causing all saved data to be deleted. Unexpectedly I had recently been promoted from just driving back maker team cars of Team Lotus to driving alongside Hamilton in the McLaren Mercedes. The season had been going excellently, I was leading the drivers table by a clear 150-200 points and the team had an effective stranglehold on the constructors and I was about to begin the race at Suzuka searching for my 228th career win.

Now it is right back to basics and having gained a contract to drive for Team Lotus I had an absolutely dreadful Australian GP without my saved race set up data to call on. Qualifying saw me down in 12th and despite constant handling changes throughout the free practice/qualifying sessions the car proved absolutely undriveable and with it impossible to hold the racing line particularly through corners, twitchy everywhere on the circuit I eventually finished a lapped 23rd of 24 cars including four visits to the pit lane, two for drive through penalties.

Now moved onto Malaysia and thankfully the car seems better on this circuit with handling changes eventually leading me to gain pole position in qualifying. Hopefully some points might be possible to help erase the memory of the depressing season opener!
sarah t

Postby JJ » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:22 am

Wow, that's a bummer Sarah! I had a similar thing happen to me on one of the earlier incarnations of FIFA (maybe 2007/8-ish) when, after playing a match the game just completely froze. I'd saved the data on a USB so went back to that, but even then when I got to/played that same game again it froze again.

As for current status on FIFA17, I'm now starting to get a few of the kids come through the ranks, with several of them in or around the first team. My young goalkeeper is outstanding - he's up to 96 now (his mid-point predicted rating was 86) thanks to the train them until they bleed thing I do on my GKs.

The only annoyance this season is that my Board expects me to sign a world Class-ranked attacking player. But that goes completely against my philosophy of paying for players, as I try and get them through the youth system. So I approached Timo Werner, a German striker whose contract had less than 6 months to run, to sign him on a free transfer at the end of his contract. He agreed and will join us for next season, but I don't know if that'll satisfy the Board.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:54 am

JJ wrote:...

The only annoyance this season is that my Board expects me to sign a world Class-ranked attacking player. But that goes completely against my philosophy of paying for players, as I try and get them through the youth system. So I approached Timo Werner, a German striker whose contract had less than 6 months to run, to sign him on a free transfer at the end of his contract. He agreed and will join us for next season, but I don't know if that'll satisfy the Board.

Sounds like Newcastle, only they would have signed someone at vast expense that you didn't want.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:58 pm

Question for you Sarah:

In career mode, does the F1 game you play let you "create" you as a driver, or does it make you play as one of the existing drivers? The reason I ask is that I was dead keen on buying F1 2017 for the PS4. However, reading the reviews on line you can only play a career as one the real drivers, and imho there's no fun in that, so I didn't bother buying it. EA Sports got a massive slagging off generally for that epic fail.
JJ

Postby sarah t » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:23 am

JJ wrote:Question for you Sarah:

In career mode, does the F1 game you play let you "create" you as a driver, or does it make you play as one of the existing drivers? The reason I ask is that I was dead keen on buying F1 2017 for the PS4. However, reading the reviews on line you can only play a career as one the real drivers, and imho there's no fun in that, so I didn't bother buying it. EA Sports got a massive slagging off generally for that epic fail.

For the 2011 Nintendo DS game you can indeed race 'as yourself' and I took great pleasure in beating Mark Webber's Red Bull at the German GP, especially as he had, a few races ago, made me look pretty useless winning the European GP (Valencia) by 95 seconds and I was desperately holding off teammate Vettel for most of the race to grab second. When you accept a contract for one of the teams you replace one of their existing drivers like I am currently racing for Team Lotus and taking the place of Jarno Trulli.
sarah t

Postby Hoops » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:39 pm

Stig Olsen wrote:Part of a bunch middel-aged old men (and a few women) who still plays Unreal Tournament - an online FPS team-match game from waaay back - used to be in a clan, but i'm just to old for that now

I know this is an older post, but I just read it and what a coincidence - we started playing this on the LAN at work recently :cool: Played it a lot back in the day, but I don't have the reactions any more =( . I'm surprised at how good it still is - plays great and looks pretty good too. I play a lot of Killing Floor 2 and Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm now.
Hoops

Postby JJ » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:40 am

sarah t wrote:For the 2011 Nintendo DS game you can indeed race 'as yourself'

See, that's how it should be! EA Sports buggered that up I think. I would buy F1 in a heartbeat if you could do that, because the graphics are absolutely unbelievably good.
JJ

Postby JJ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:26 am

I've had to cheat on FIFA17. There, I've said it.

My 96-ranked GK, still only 20 years old and English (in order to avoid the "Boss, I'm feeling homesick" emails), and to whom I was paying 850k per week, decided to turn down the new contract I offered despite meeting his "salary demand" of 950k/week. I offered the contract, then a few days later got an email from him saying "Hey boss, about that new contract. I'm not going to sign an extension so I'm just going to let my current contract run down and then move on."

Like fuck you are.

Hit the circle button, "Do you want to quit without saving?" Yep! Went back in, offered him the same contract, but the machine somehow changed his salary to 59k a week, and he bloody well signed it! WTF!! So not only have I still got him for 5 years, but I'm also saving 800 grand from my weekly wage bill.

I feel a little dirty - sullied even, but I'll get over it. :)
JJ

Postby sarah t » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:39 pm

Been having fun attempting to get into the points or even win a race from the back of the grid. Just forgo practice and qualifying and leap straight into the action, makes for tense, dramatic fights through the field, particularly at Monaco. Driving as Perez in the Sauber (this is F1 2011 after all) I've just managed to finish in 10th place. Incredible hunting down the front runners at Canada and with a couple of laps to go I grabbed the lead and the eventual win!
sarah t

Return to General discussion