The Football thread

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: The Football thread

Postby SubHuman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:42 am

Rules is rules JJ, you know it makes sense! :rolleyes:
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:38 am

Not been too much to smile about here recently but my word I didn't half enjoy us getting the win over Everton on Sunday, partly as it was so unexpected! Four goals from open play and two from Charlie Austin. Admittedly 'the blues' aren't in the best of shape at present complete with the uncertainty about a new manager but there is potential... just look at that blinder of a goal from Sigurdsson at the end of the first half but we (Southampton) certainly were overdue a morale booster after so much lacklustre match play of late.

Yeah I won't get carried away especially as there is the hardest possible opponent tomorrow evening... I'm just savouring the moment! =D
sarah t

Postby Danny C » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:39 pm

You must be about the only person who didn't expect a heavy Everton defeat.

Hopefully this is the year they finally get relegated, but as dire as they are, I worry that there are at least three worse teams in this dreadful league.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby SubHuman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:11 am

Danny C wrote:You must be about the only person who didn't expect a heavy Everton defeat.

Hopefully this is the year they finally get relegated, but as dire as they are, I worry that there are at least three worse teams in this dreadful league.

I suppose that as a Liverpool supporter you're obliged to dislike Everton, but as a neutral I feel their past glories deserve a little respect and I'd like to see them stay in the top flight. However the inaction by the Everton board means your wish my be granted. Some of the management contenders being speculated about are laughable, I mean Alan Pardew, a man who has failed in his last two jobs!

Bristol Rovers are dangerously close to the relegation zone in league 1, with twenty one points from nineteen matches.
SubHuman

Postby Danny C » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:49 pm

SubHuman wrote:I suppose that as a Liverpool supporter you're obliged to dislike Everton, but as a neutral I feel their past glories deserve a little respect and I'd like to see them stay in the top flight.

I'm not obliged to feel one way or the other about them. I know a great many decent Everton fans, and I would be sorry for them if Everton went down. However the rivalry has become poisonous over the last thirty years, with Everton blaming a conspiracy inevitably centred around Liverpool for their repeated failures, and some of the bile and vitriol that comes towards us from the blue side has to be seen to be believed. If you would listen to some Everton fans, the great tragedy of Heysel was not the accidental deaths of 39 people, but the fact that they were prevented from competing in (and winning, naturally) the European Cup.

Now Allardyce has been appointed, and Everton fans are up in arms - not because the man is a known crook, with an alehouse football philosophy that is about as far removed from the style of play to which they lay historical claim as it's possible to get, but because he is bringing the former Liverpool midfielder Sammy Lee with him as his assistant.

I have frankly had enough of them and I'd love to see them in the Championship with all the other small-time mentality clubs.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby SubHuman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:56 pm

Wow, I had no idea things were so bad between Liverpool and Everton fans. :O
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:19 pm

SubHuman wrote:Wow, I had no idea things were so bad between Liverpool and Everton fans. :O

That is nothing compared to the situation between Palace and Brighton fans... some interesting YouTube uploads (you'll have to find them yourselves) taking us 'behind the scenes' on the terraces from both supporting sides relating to Tuesday nights match on the south coast with one Palace fan freely admitting that he bought smoke bombs specifically ready to use in the stands!
sarah t

Postby JJ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:49 pm

Every club has its quota of morons and Palace is no exception.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:47 am

JJ wrote:Every club has its quota of morons and Palace is no exception.

Yeah, I've seen Bristol Rovers fans fighting one another in excitement after Rovers had scored, geez, what's that all about?
SubHuman

Previous

Return to General discussion