The Football thread

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: The Football thread

Postby JJ » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:48 am

I thought you were a ManUre fan, Galen?
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby redblue100 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:36 pm

I am JJ yes! But I started taking my son to Wycombe about 7 years ago when he was too young to travel to OT and it's kind of stuck now. Actually I prefer gong there than OT these days, players have actual passion for the club!!
redblue100

Postby JJ » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:10 am

Good stuff, Galen. I play football with a Wycombe fan.
JJ

Postby Knowlesy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:13 am

Pauline wrote:Just feel that i have to say...... I’ve not abandoned The Blades due to their current bad run!

My partner of eight years, who got me into this crazy football thing, passed away suddenly in November. I can’t face going to a game without him =( But he made me a Blade, and they’ll be in my heart always :)

We were supposed to go to the Sheffield Derby next Friday, on what would have been his 50th birthday, but I just can’t do it. So instead, I’ll be out with his family, raising a glass to him, with half an eye on a Twitter, praying for a win!

Please feel free to will us to win, if you don’t mind!

My condolences to you Pauline on the loss of your partner.
Knowlesy

Postby redblue100 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:04 pm

JJ wrote:Good stuff, Galen. I play football with a Wycombe fan.

Ha ha awesome! They get everywhere it seems!!
redblue100

Postby sarah t » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:57 pm

SubHuman wrote:
Danny C wrote:Southampton are looking increasingly doomed.

Good.

Their current manager doesn't seem to have what it takes to manage in the premier league, but you could also say that about Mark Hughes.

It looks as though any of the teams up to and including Watford could go down if they hit a long losing streak.

The local 'Southern Daily Echo' newspaper held an opinion pole and 'the fans' voted 71% in favour of Southampton getting relegated this season. On the evidence of the, to put it mildly, tepid, performances so far I would agree that things do indeed look very bleak although there are other teams in a worse situation already occupying the bottom three places in the table. I strongly believe we have some great players in the squad (Boufal, Austin, Gabbiadini and Yoshida to name but four) but it all comes down to the lack of clear direction from [manager] Pellegrino whom when I listen to him being interviewed clearly does not, in any way, engender any confidence in his ability to lead the team. Some of his recent substitution decisions are bizarre to say the least and has pundits on BBC Radio Solent frustratedly 'up-in-arms' as to where he is taking us. At a time when Southampton fans should be getting excited by the ambitious plans of the Chinese owners for the future of the club the error of appointing this manager could ultimately prove very costly if there is not a reversal of fortunes for the remainder of the season.

Relegation is never pleasant for any team, primarily due to the loss of earnings, but perhaps 'Saints' return to the Championship might be just what they need to mentally regroup and come back stronger to the Premier League.

Sorry I just felt I had to have a bit of a rant, I feel better to get that out of my system.
sarah t

Postby Pauline » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:04 pm

GAH! Oh well, at least we didn’t lose.....
Pauline

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:49 pm

Watched the Bournemouth 2 Arsenal 1 match the other day, Arsenal looked very ordinary without Sanchez and Ozil.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:16 am

What a strange thing the Premier League is... Liverpool win a thrilling 4-3 match against leaders Manchester City and then, last night lose out 1-0 to bottom of the table Swansea... guess it gives us all hope!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:29 am

sarah t wrote:What a strange thing the Premier League is... Liverpool win a thrilling 4-3 match against leaders Manchester City and then, last night lose out 1-0 to bottom of the table Swansea... guess it gives us all hope!

In recent years Liverpool have been notably inconsistent and, at the moment, are probably struggling to get used to playing without Philippe Continho. Having said that they ought to have been able to get the better of Swansea.
SubHuman

Postby Danny C » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:00 pm

Liverpool have a marginally better record without Coutinho in the team than with him, as it happens.

Not that I am pleased to see him go, but I would be more worried about losing Salah or Firmino.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:11 am

Fair enough Danny, actually Salah could be the find of the decade, I'm particularly impressed by his tackle riding in the box looking to score rather than falling down at the first opportunity.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:21 pm

I'll say it a bit quietly but... I am starting to get a bit excited by Eastleigh FC whom seem to be on a bit of a good run at the moment in the non-league premier, thanks perhaps in part to new manager Andy Hessenthaler. No clean sheets but another three points at the weekend just gone edging out Hartlepool playing at home at the Silverlake stadium in a seven goal thriller winning 4-3, a great tribute to the recently passed away club founder Derik Brooks whom I'm sure would have enjoyed the match. They started off the season fairly dreadful but are now just seven point out of the playoff places. It would be great if they could get there but I just hope that they don't meet either Dover or Gateshead whom they always, I think, come off worse. Keep it going 'Spitfires'!!! =D
sarah t

Postby Pauline » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:48 pm

I'm going to my first Blades game tonight, since Andrew passed.

Blades vs Aston Villa. I'm nervous about getting emotional, but looking forward to it. UTB!!
Pauline

Postby JJ » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:58 pm

Good luck P! I'll be watching for the score.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:36 pm

Pauline, Andrew would have wanted you to keep going. And it could become a emblem for you to his memory.
SubHuman

Postby redblue100 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:55 pm

To quote Madonna or Bon Jovi (whichever works best for you) Pauline... "Keep the faith" x
redblue100

Postby Pauline » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:27 am

I enjoyed it, great game, we were brilliant, but aaaarrrggggghhhhhhhh bl@@dy last minute AV goal!
Pauline

Postby SubHuman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:53 am

Thur be sum mightee strange resolts appnin in footie at the moment, I mean Chelsea 0 Bournemouth 3, jeez
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:38 am

SubHuman wrote:Thur be sum mightee strange resolts appnin in footie at the moment, I mean Chelsea 0 Bournemouth 3, jeez

And now Watford 4 Chelsea 1, what's going on down there AHHHH. Could Conti be the highest placed manager to get the push this strange season. I'm sure the fans of other London clubs must be laughing their socks off.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:55 am

@DannyC - what's your view on Liverpool a the moment? 75m on a centre back but it appears to me (admittedly an outsider):
- the defensive frailties remain;
- still great in attack, Salah is on fire (brilliant goal against Spurs!) and you don't seem to be missing Coutinho yet.
- what's the view on Klopp - is he the man that'll take LFC from 3rd-5th to winning the league?

On other things - looks like Wilfried Zaha is out for a few weeks, so that's Palace in trouble again. And although I look out for Sheffield United's results due to Pauline, I hadn't realised how far ahead Wolves are in the Championship.

Luni - looking bleak for Barnet! :(
JJ

Postby Knowlesy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:58 am

JJ wrote:@DannyC - what's your view on Liverpool a the moment? 75m on a centre back but it appears to me (admittedly an outsider):
- still great in attack, Salah is on fire (brilliant goal against Spurs!) and you don't seem to be missing Coutinho yet.
- what's the view on Klopp - is he the man that'll take LFC from 3rd-5th to winning the league?

On other things - looks like Wilfried Zaha is out for a few weeks, so that's Palace in trouble again. And although I look out for Sheffield United's results due to Pauline, I hadn't realised how far ahead Wolves are in the Championship.

Luni - looking bleak for Barnet! :(

My thoughts about Liverpool at present JJ. I think that VVD is a good signing. The fee is way OTT, but that is a reflection of the madness of the transfer market. He is a leader and talented, however as he's still recovering from injury it'll be next season before we see him at his best. More top quality defenders are required of course. I feel that the next signing should be a world class goalkeeper. This is absolutely crucial for success. I have read that this is part of their summer recruitment plan and that there is a substantial budget - not just from the Coutinho fee. I believe Klopp can make that leap but it all depends on the players he recruits and stopping, once and for all, lacklustre performances such as the loss at Swansea. Their inconsistency has been a problem for a long time and goes back way beyond Klopp's reign. A lack of professionalism, treating the opposition with a lack of respect and saving their best for the glamour fixtures against Man City is costing them dearly. More players with the work ethic, talent and mindset of Milner are needed. Coutinho is a big loss. He can change a game with his dazzling talent. Salah has been outstanding all season! A goal machine, modest and works so hard for the team. Now that was some signing and it just shows that you don't have to pay a fortune to get a world class player. If they can make further signings such as that then they will really be contenders. Naby Keita arrives in the summer and he is one hell of a prospect.

It's so tight in the bottom half of the table that I find it tough to predict what's going to happen. Hodgson has performed wonders to rescue Palace from their terrible start. I feel that they have enough quality overall to stay up.
Knowlesy

Postby Pauline » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:41 pm

JJ wrote: On other things - looks like Wilfried Zaha is out for a few weeks, so that's Palace in trouble again. And although I look out for Sheffield United's results due to Pauline, I hadn't realised how far ahead Wolves are in the championship

Yeah..... and they battered us at the weekend. The first battering we’ve had in a while though, so I’m not worrying just yet!

I totally missed the game as well. Too busy hanging out with Bryan Cranston ;)
:cool: :O :cool:
Pauline

Postby Danny C » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:36 pm

JJ wrote:@DannyC - what's your view on Liverpool a the moment? 75m on a centre back but it appears to me (admittedly an outsider):

The fee is insane but VVD is a class act. Bearing in mind he's missed most of the season with injury, I'm not too worried about him looking a bit ring rusty at the moment. If you take Van Dijk out of the equation, the defences we've fielded this season have cost less in total than just one of City's defenders, so it's perhaps not surprising that they need time to develop. Robertson, Gomez and Alexander-Arnold all look like excellent prospects.

Salah was a brilliant signing. You will know he's really arrived when Barcelona and Madrid start tapping him up in the press, which can't be far away now. It's just as well he's been so good, as Mane has been underwhelming this season. Some of the blame for that could perhaps be levelled at the harsh sending off he received earlier in the season (by the same referee who awarded two penalties against us to Spurs players in offside positions on Sunday, incidentally).

I feel Klopp is certainly the right man in charge. Whether Liverpool can win the title, I don't know. United, City, Chelsea and Arsenal (in that order) have higher wage bills than we do, and with league positions being so closely tied to wages (uncannily so, in fact), fifth place would be par. So just finishing in the top four would be punching above our weight. Some of these teams literally have the spending power of a country behind them, and that is a difficult obstacle to overcome. However it was a very smart move to seal the signing of Naby Keita for next season, as he is different class.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby sarah t » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:21 am

I guess it is all about 'who is best on the day' rather than going by football league position when considering the FA Cup. I felt sure that Spurs would have eased past League One struggling bottom team Rochdale at the weekend... still good for their opponents to get a Wembley replay.

Seems like most people had Manchester City as favourites to win the FA Cup so surprising upset to see Wigan take the win and dump them out of the competition. ...and what about all that squabbling between managers afterwards. Interesting to see that Wigan now face us [Southampton] next with, possibly a bit of local rivalry on offer as Wigan manager Paul Cook was in charge of Portsmouth last season.
sarah t

Previous

Return to General discussion