The Football thread

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

The Football thread

Postby JJ » Fri May 25, 2007 9:53 am

Discuss all things to do with the beautiful game here.

On the subject of the Champions League final, I'm still disappointed that Liverppol didn't beat a below par Milan side. I actually think that if Chelski or ManUre had been playing in that particular game they might have beaten Milan.

I don't support Liverpool, but I've always had a great deal of admiration for them - you don't win 5 European Cups and 18 league titles by being anything other than class. I know you can't just live on your history (and let's face it, since their last league title in 1990 or whenever it was, that's pretty much what they've done apart from Istanbul), but the fact remains that you can't buy class - take note Chelski!

Liverpool fans are surely up there with the best - I like the fact that they concentrate on supporting their own team most of the time, rather than the moronic "Your support is f*cking shit" chant - although of course the mroe recent "Where were you in Istanbul" aimed at Chelsea is acceptable!

As far as the fiasco with the fans in Athens is concerned, I can't help but think that the blame must surely rest mostly on the fans themselves. The ones that got in without a ticket are the ones that denied those with a valid ticket entry. Yes, they should never have got in, but if I was a fan with a ticket that wasn't allowed in I'd be more pissed off with my fellow fans for taking my place than I would with the morons that let them in in he first place.

Anyway, as I said, here is the place for all footy chat - tell us what team you support, and much more importantly, why you support them.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby Stig Olsen » Fri May 25, 2007 12:28 pm

I support only my own team of old injured men, who needs a day off from the wife.

Infact, our match Wednesday ended with me as a driver for a team mate, who had to go to the hospital. His Achilles tendon (if that's the name?) snapped - needless to say he was in pain.

I could only "care" for him so long at the hospital, as I had to get home to see the CL final, which he obviously missed!

And I just found out, that I suffer from Achilles tendonitis! I'm more and more convinced it's more healthy to watch football, than actually playing it!
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby JJ » Fri May 25, 2007 12:57 pm

Snapped achilles tendon is not fun! A guy here at work had that happen playing 5-a-side with our work team. He said it felt like someone had kicked him in the back of the leg, when actually what he'd felt was the tendon shooting up into his calf having snapped. He was operated on the next day, and limped for a year.
JJ

Postby One Man » Fri May 25, 2007 2:05 pm

9/10
One Man

Postby JJ » Fri May 25, 2007 2:12 pm

I'm not saying UEFA are blameless, OM. Obviously they should have done better, had proper checks at the gates etc etc.

But I would lay the majority of the blame at the door of those people that dishonestly tricked their way into the stadium, knowing they didn't have a ticket, and thus depriving someone who did have a ticket of his rightful place inside the ground.
JJ

Postby One Man » Fri May 25, 2007 4:04 pm

I agree, there will always be a bit of opportunism/dishonesty that goes on at those type of events (and that's no generalisation of Scousers!), but when stewards see loads of people without seats sitting on the terracing stairs then why did they just ignore them and not kick them out. UEFA really must shoulder the blame but if they really think that the Liverpool fans were to blame then Liverpool FC should stand by for a fine.
9/10
One Man

Postby JJ » Fri May 25, 2007 4:26 pm

As I said, I agree that UEFA must take some blame. But to not put most of it on the fans that shouldn't have been in there is like, for example, blaming the DVLA for a car accident if the driver had no car tax - yes, the DVLA should act to stop that person driving a car, but the driver himself should still shoulder most of the blame. I think we both know where we're coming from Rob! :)

Anyway, back to footy: looking forward to the play-offs this weekend, and at the same time gutted that Palace aren't in them! The game on Monday is quite simply the richest game in the world, in terms of football. Anyone that has sat through them with their team (I've done it 5 times with Palace!) will know that unless you're 5-0 up with 5 minutes to go, you will bite your nails down as far as your elbows.
JJ

Postby Boiled Being » Fri May 25, 2007 9:49 pm

JAM! . . . . You've gotta get some!
Boiled Being

Postby ive known you 4 too long » Wed May 30, 2007 11:56 am

the only crowd trouble we get at palace is actually getting enough supporters !!!!..lol
"we spoke about the time and place of our first meeting ...without a word i knew you knew that i cared about you"
ive known you 4 too long

Postby JJ » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:06 pm

And the issue of (in the last year or too at least) Palace fans being all too quick to boo their own players during the game. Seriously pisses me off, and can have no possible benefit to the team, imo!
JJ

Postby Stig Olsen » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:25 pm

European Championship 2008 qualifier: Denmark - Sweden = ?

This was a nightmare of a match - within the first 25 minutes of the match we were down 0-3. Second half, we fought our way back to 3-3...then the tragedy unfolded infront of the 45.000 people and probably the whole of Denmark and Sweden. One of our players (Christian Poulsen) were having a fight with a swede (Markus Rosensberg), and all of a sudden he (Christian) punched the poor swede in the stomach - a totally stupid act, which resulted in the referee giving him the red card + giving them a penalty kick in the final minutes of the match.

But before the penalty kick was taken, a fat danish slob among the audience rushed the field, attacking the german referee, which promted him to stop the match.

After a few minutes and some weird silence, and no one knew what the fuck was going on, the display said "Denmark lost the match: 0-3"!??!

UEFA now says that it's not the referee's call to give the result, an investigation by UEFA's disciplinary committee will decide soon.

What a stinking nightmare!!!
Stig Olsen

Postby Stig Olsen » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:50 pm

Stig Olsen

Postby orac » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:15 pm

Now that the passing of time has the pain of the Champions League final, looking back, Liverpool should have won it.
We actually outplayed them unlike Man Utd a few weeks earlier who just crumbled and died when they played Milan.

Time now though for Liverpool to mount a serious challenge for the Premiership and good to see Gerrard, Alonso etc sign new deals in the last week too.
news headlines on the hour
e l e c t r o n i c a l l y y o u r s
http://www.league-online.com
orac

Postby JJ » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:51 pm

And so another season approaches. My 33rd as a Palace fan, and the 27th since I started actually going to the games.

I am totally uninspired this pre-season, perhaps more than for any previous year.

No major signings - in fact having let several senior players including our best goalkeeper leave for nothing (to Burnley! yes, BURNLEY!!) so on paper our squad is actually weaker than last year when we "achieved" mid-table mediocrity;

A manager who is more negative than the minus end of a magnet - he brings all 11 men back to defend corners, he even did that when we were playing against 10 men FFS!!;

A group of fans that grow more fickle every year. Last season I witnessed these so-called fans boo one of our own players as he stepped up to take a penalty - utterly outrageous, and totally wrong on every level.

I have a moron that sits two rows behind me who is as big an arsehole of a person as I've ever heard, and who has an utter loathing for one player in particular (the same one that took - and scored - the booed penalty). He has a mouth like a sewer and I have reported him to the club several times in the hope they'll finally kick him out. Let me give you an example of his normal standard of diction:
- Him (shouted) - "You f****** c*** Watson!"
- Woman with young child: "Oi, there are young kids here, cut it out!"
- Him - "Everyone swears at football, if you don't f****** like it, f*** off!"
So I have the prospect of listening to this moron for another season, and it genuinely makes me not want to be there - how sad is that!

On the pitch we can occasionally be OK, but we often look like 11 strangers that have never met before.

But somehow, somehow, I can't wait until the first game. I must be bonkers.
JJ

Postby Boiled Being » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:40 pm

The only way they'll ban someone - short of mass GBH - is to have him caught shouting racial abuse :/
best of luck to Palace for the coming season John.
If LFC don't mount a serious title assault this year with the fire-power at our disposal, then we never will.
Boiled Being

Postby Stig Olsen » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:07 pm

I guess Man Utd. fans knows about this already, but if you haven't seen this 9 year old boy, now recruited for the club, then check this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG47FDenyXw
Stig Olsen

Postby ToyotaCityBoy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:51 am

Out of curiosity, I watched five minutes of LA Galaxy vs Toronto last night... only to see Mr Posh sitting watching the game in a suit. Nice work if you can get it...
ToyotaCityBoy

Postby One Man » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:28 pm

Anyone interested in doing a free fantasy football league amongst ourselves in the Times newspaper? It is free to join, just for fun and it looks quite good - better than some of the paid for ones. It allows you to pick your team from a squad, rather than just the same old players for the year. Anyone interested and I'll set up a league exclusively for us. I think we need a minimum of 5 players.

http://playthegame.timesonline.co.uk/soccer/times_login.asp
9/10
One Man

Postby Jinx » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:04 pm

England 3 Russia 0: who would have thought it?
Jinx

Postby Stig Olsen » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:11 pm

A well deserved win for England.

Denmark still hangs on, all we have to do is win all our last matches....starting with beating the world famous football nation Liechtenstein 4-0.
Stig Olsen

Postby Boiled Being » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:19 pm

Now Heskey succums to the curse of the broken foot - plan 'Z' for McLaren ??
Boiled Being

Postby key Bored Bloke » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:06 pm

Lost at home to Leeds. Oh shit
key Bored Bloke

Postby Humanspurs » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:49 pm

Humanspurs

Postby JJ » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:19 am

I witnessed something special last night in Palace's 2-0 home defeat to Watford. The shining light in our youth academy is a 15 year old called John Bostock. He made his first team debut last night, looked total quality from his very first touch, and in the process became Palace's youngest ever player. Barceklona, Chelsea, Arsenal and ManUre have all tried to grab him from us, but he and his family are Palace fans. He'll go eventually, of course, and probably sooner rather than later, but when his does his fee will eclipse that of Theo Walcott. He'll play for England. I left the ground not giving a toss that we'd lost, I was so excited about seeing him play.
JJ

Postby One Man » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:15 pm

I thought it was illegal for minors to play against adults in sport??
9/10
One Man

Next

Return to General discussion