The Football thread

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: The Football thread

Postby SubHuman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:59 am

Watched the ManU v Southampton game, it was great for the neutrals to see two teams having a real go at winning in a cup final. Southampton were very unlucky as they could easily have scored five or six goals from the number of chances they created. In the end it was ManU's better finishing that won them the game. There were some crap refereeing decisions and Gabbiadini's second goal should never have been ruled offside.
SubHuman

Postby Danny C » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:08 am

SubHuman wrote:Gabbiadini's second goal should never have been ruled offside.

It would have been his first goal and 1-0 to Southampton.

But yes, terrible officiating, United have graduated from scoring an offside goal every game to having perfectly good goals for the opposition disallowed. Soton have been brown paper bagged.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby SubHuman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:52 am

Danny C wrote:
SubHuman wrote:Gabbiadini's second goal should never have been ruled offside.

It would have been his first goal and 1-0 to Southampton.

Demonstrates my poor memory for detail.

But generally this season there have been many bad decisions: players have been booked for no good reason, other have not been booked when they should have been sent off and the list goes on, too numerous to mention. Not sure if it's my imagination but this season it seems to have been particularly bad. May be it's time for the FA to take a look at the approach adopted by Rugby Union to determine what action to take when referees are unsighted. I know it slows the game down but it might stop some of the glaring errors that continue to occur.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:18 am

No doubt Danny C will be thrilled and entirely surprised to know that Mamadou Sakho was man of the match in our win over Middlesborough last weekend. He was calm on the ball, passed it out of defence really well, and made one certain-goal-saving interception when the 'Boro' striker looked absolutely nailed on to score. Fact is, however, he wasn't really tested by a very poor (in an attacking sense at least) opponent.

We play WBA away next and that will be a much sterner test for him. WBA have been fairly high-scoring this season - more than Manure, more than Citeh - so let's see if we're saying the same after that game. It's a tough game for us, and although we need wins now I'd still take a point.

Great to see Br*ghton lost at home to their nearest promotion rivals. The choke is on!! :) I know Huddersfield have to play Newcastle next (or soon, whatever) but if they win their game in hand they'll only be 3 points behind Br*ghton. Come on you Terriers!!

For our other forum friends it's great to see Luni's Barnet sitting very comfortable in mid table with lots of points on the board, and for Pauline the Blades are cruising along at the top of League 1 - hope they both continue to do well for you both!
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby Pauline » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:16 pm

Fingers crossed!! It's looking like tomorrow's game at Rochdale might be called off due to the weather, hope not, we need to keep going and not let Fleetwood and Bolton catch up!!
Pauline

Postby Danny C » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:04 pm

JJ wrote:No doubt Danny C will be thrilled and entirely surprised to know that Mamadou Sakho was man of the match in our win over Middlesborough last weekend.

Pleased, but not even remotely surprised.

Fan opinion on Sakho is certainly divided, between those who think he is top class, and those who are dribbling idiots.

I just hope that his performances out on loan can convince Klopp to change his mind, but I'm resigned to never seeing him in a red shirt again.
Danny C

Postby JJ » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:24 pm

Danny C wrote:Fan opinion on Sakho is certainly divided, between those who think he is top class, and those who are dribbling idiots.

You're a fan of his, then! I believe he captained France at one point - you can see why, he's so calm on the ball.

Once again he played really well in the win against WBA which was fully deserved. I'm far from Andros Townsend's biggest fan, but in the last 4 or 5 games he's shown a massive improvement, and I've no idea how, in the 85th minute, he had the lungs to run from the edge of his own penalty area, beat a tackle, do a couple of lollipops then smash the ball home. Was a terrific goal, and no wonder he just lay down on the ground afterwards. Zaha's goal was also really well taken - his great chest control from Cabaye's long diagonal pass set him up perfectly. WBA were surprisingly poor, bearing in mind where they are in the table, and that they were also going for a 5th consecutive home win.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:52 am

Things are looking up for Leicester and Palace, not so good for Sunderland and Middlesborough, I think they'll go down, not sure about Swansea and Bournemouth are struggling.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:50 am

Big weekend ahead, with another crunch fixture for Palace (aren't they all when you're fighting relegation?!) at home against Watford. We should have won the away fixture but Benteke missed a penalty in BFS's first game in charge. If he'd scored that and we'd won, we might be in a completely different situation now. All those ifs, buts and maybes, eh?

I doubt it'll be a game for the purists, but who cares about that. We need a win, and I don't care if the goal comes off someone's backside, as long as it's us that get it. Not sure if Middlesbrough will get a new name in for the last few games, or do what Leicester have done and promote from within, but either way I hope they don't get the same sort of reaction from whoever takes charge that Leicester have. I also hope Burnley can burst their little away form blip and actually win on the road. We need the teams above us to take points off those below us.

COYP!!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:28 am

Fingers crossed JJ, it would be good to see one of the smaller clubs without loads of money stay up. :)
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:02 am

@Murfy - presumably you're off to Wembley with CCFC?
JJ

Postby Danny C » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:31 am

SubHuman wrote:Fingers crossed JJ, it would be good to see one of the smaller clubs without loads of money stay up. :)

Due to the stratospheric wealth of the Premier League, aren't Palace something like the 28th richest club in world football?
Danny C

Postby JJ » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:36 pm

Something like that, yes (might be in the low 30s - I think I read about a report from Deloittes).
JJ

Postby JJ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:10 am

JJ wrote:I doubt it'll be a game for the purists, but who cares about that. We need a win, and I don't care if the goal comes off someone's backside, as long as it's us that get it

Well the first part was right, and the fact it was an own goal, meant we are only the fourth team since the premier league began to win a game without recording a single shot on target. Not exactly something to be proud of, but a win's a win - three in a row with no goals conceded. We've at least given ourselves a chance, but in our last 10 games we still have to play the top 6, so we simply have to win the other 4.
JJ

Postby Danny C » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:44 am

JJ wrote:We've at least given ourselves a chance, but in our last 10 games we still have to play the top 6, so we simply have to win the other 4.

Well, there's at least one team in the top 6 you'll have a decent chance against :lol:

Going into today's clash with Man City, Liverpool have lost 5 times to teams in the bottom half of the table, and 0 times to sides in the top half.
Danny C

Postby JJ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:42 pm

Disgraceful tackle by Neil Taylor of Wales to break Seamus Coleman's leg. He should be banned from football for as long as Coleman is out injured.
JJ

Postby JJ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:47 pm

Danny C wrote:Well, there's at least one team in the top 6 you'll have a decent chance against :lol: .

Palace's record against Liverpool has been pretty decent. But tbh they've been in games when we haven't needed the points quite so much as we will this year, so the fear factor will be higher. For that reason alone I doubt we'll get anything from the game, Danny. But then when it comes to Palace my glass is always very much three quarters empty.
JJ

Postby JJ » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:00 am

Unbelievable result for Palace to win away at champions-elect Chelski, who must have wondered how they could possibly have lost that game. I'd said to myself that if we went a couple of goals down early on there'd be no way back, and I'd go back to bed. So to concede after 4 minutes meant the signs were ominous. But I stayed up, and bloody hell we really are a different proposition than a few short weeks ago. They defended magnificently, Sakho was once again outstanding as was Hennessy in goal, and Zaha is in the form of his life just now. We rode our luck for sure, survived 10 minutes of injury time, and somehow nicked a crucial 3 points. Second season in a row we've won there too!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:08 pm

Yes JJ an amazing result for Palace, must give you some hope that they will avoid relegation this year. I'm sure that Sunderland are doomed and Middlesbrough's position looks pretty bleak. At the moment it looks like Swansea or Hull will also go down.
SubHuman

Postby Danny C » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Liverpool's victory over Everton means that they "win" the mini-league against the other sides in the top 7 (W7 D5 L0).

If only we could do the business against the utter shite, we would be champions.
Danny C

Postby JJ » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:20 pm

Danny C wrote:If only we could do the business against the utter shite, we would be champions.

Perhaps they turn up against those teams with the same attitude that they're "utter shite"...
JJ

Postby Danny C » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:20 pm

Oh, I am sure complacency plays a part. You still need to turn up and beat whoever you're up against.
Danny C

Postby Pauline » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:33 pm

The Blades are guaranteed automatic promotion to the Championship if the win tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for us please!! COME OOONNNNNNNNN!!
Pauline

Postby JJ » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Hope they do it P!!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:36 am

Pauline wrote:The Blades are guaranteed automatic promotion to the Championship if the win tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for us please!! COME OOONNNNNNNNN!!

The agony and the ecstasy. What it is to be a football fan, sounds like you've got it bad Pauline!
SubHuman

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion