Doctor Who

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Postby sarah t » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:31 pm

Just heard the news and am of course very sad to hear this... He played such an important part in the classic series, particularly during the Pertwee era... one of his best appearances, "Day of the Daleks" is coming up later this year with flashy new CGI and new Dalek vocals from Nicholas Briggs, hope there will be a tribute to Courtney on it!
:(
sarah t

Postby the cicus of one » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Part of my childhood died i loved the Brig met him once at a memroibilia in birmingham a realy nice guy
To The Clown Its Called Dominion
the cicus of one

Postby sarah t » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:07 pm

My earliest memory of watching classic series Doctor Who on it's original transmission is 'Planet of the Spiders', Jon Pertwee's epic final story. Although IMO no way can it be considered one of the best I remember, as a child, being distinctly disturbed by the concept of the 'eight legs' spiders planning to eat the Doctor, Sarah and a local old man, keeping then trussed up in their larder ready for feasting.

Delighted to hear that this story is the next to get a (two disc) DVD release, in the UK, on 18th April 2011 which should mean I can finally ditch my two VHS tape 1991 BBC release in favour of a shiny extras loaded highly polished new title.
:D
sarah t

Postby the cicus of one » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:05 pm

Just saw the trailer for the new series can't wait remember planet of the spiders sarah looking forward to the dvd coming out they do say the doctor you grew up with is your doctor and for me thats the third doctor
the cicus of one

Postby RobC » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:31 pm

In case of anyone doing a Who Geek Trek to Cardiff - the Dr Who exhibition down the Bay shut down last week (by the BBC for various reasons) . My nephew is gutted , my sisters going to have make that up to him somehow .
Last edited by RobC on Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobC

Postby One Man » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:17 pm

Elizabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane)....dead. Never knew she was ill. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13137674
9/10
One Man

Postby the cicus of one » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:52 pm

It was a real shock when i heard the news first the brig and now sarah jane 63 is far to early she will be missed
the cicus of one

Postby sarah t » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:57 am

Yes shocked and very saddened by the news about Elisabeth Sladen, another part of my childhood died with her. Was astonished to hear that she was 63, she looked marvellous for her age and never would have suspected that she had cancer.

Was just listening to the commentary of 'Planet of the Spiders' on the Monday which she featured on.

I am pleased that there will be a 15 min tribute to Elisabeth Sladen straight after the first episode of the new season although it is over on CBBC.

Her autobiography is due pretty soon as well.

I also hear that a fifth season of the 'Sarah Jane Adventures' was filmed before she died and will be shown later this year.

'Tears Sarah Jane'... we will miss you!
:(
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:03 am

Sad news about Elizabeth Sladen, she was one of the more memorable Dr Who companions. I hope the BBC will repeat one of the episodes or series that feature her.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:04 pm

I would like to mention that there are still four more classic series Doctor Who stories in which Elisabeth Sladen featured yet to be released on DVD.

They are...

(With Jon Pertwee)

'Death To The Daleks'
'Invasion of the Dinosaurs' (ep 1 needs recolouring)

(with Tom Baker)

'Terror of the Zygons'
'The Android Invasion'

Hopefully Elisabeth will feature on extras and commentaries for these whenever they appear during 2012/13.
sarah t

Postby ToyotaCityBoy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:39 pm

No comments on the new season? I thought that was the best season opener for a long time - scary (for kids, at least), funny, lots of (as yet) unanswered questions, and pretty much everything you could want from classic DW. So glad it's showing in the US on the same day as the UK these days...
ToyotaCityBoy

Postby DevinSpice » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:01 pm

As Doctor Who is now in America (both in the show and here on BBC America) I am now watching it. Just saw the first episode last night and I think I'm hooked!
DevinSpice

Postby ToyotaCityBoy » Wed May 04, 2011 12:51 pm

Sarah Jane Adventures to continue without Elisabeth Sladen...?

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/the-sarah-jane-adventures-to-continue-without-elisabeth/214153

Will anyone actually watch the shows she's not in??
ToyotaCityBoy

Postby sarah t » Fri May 06, 2011 9:37 am

ToyotaCityBoy wrote:Sarah Jane Adventures to continue without Elisabeth Sladen...?

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/the-sarah-jane-adventures-to-continue-without-elisabeth/214153

Will anyone actually watch the shows she's not in??

I am sure over the past four years the SJA has built up a loyal (albeit primarily junior) following... It will I am sure maintain it's usual viewing figures

...but it's good to hear that BBCFour have got their hands on "The Hand Of Fear" and will shortly be transmitting it... all together now 'Eldrad Must Live!"
:)
Last edited by sarah t on Fri May 06, 2011 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue May 10, 2011 9:51 am

Now that is a bit more like it!

Although the first couple of episodes were enjoyable enough I was a bit baffled by it all. However the third episode with pirates (initially doubtful but definitely proved wrong) in it ticked all the right boxes for me. I really wanted to know how it was going to be resolved and why the crew were coming under the influence of the siren. Beatuiful distance shot of the pirate ship and wasn't Amy good with a cutlass and swinging around on a rope... very feisty and continues to make Rory look the wimp we know he is (am I right?)

Good acting, good direction, good effects and satisfying resolution... a real triumph I think!
sarah t

Postby ToyotaCityBoy » Tue May 10, 2011 12:18 pm

I preferred the first two episodes - a more interesting story, with more time to tell it, being a two-parter. In the current format of the show, where there's not just one story to tell each week, but also a whole overarching story to keep moving along, 45 minutes is rarely enough time to get deep into a good, interesting tale. Often the stories amount to little more than "Oh, there's a monster... let's do this... crash bang wallop... ta-da!" plus a lot of fluff to check all the boxes for the various demographics. It might not be a bad idea to make all the stories two-parters, so the stories themselves have a chance to develop and breathe more.

That said, I'm hoping this week's show turns out to be all that it could be...

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/neil-gaimans-doctor-who-episode-takes-show-back/214394
ToyotaCityBoy

Postby sarah t » Tue May 17, 2011 10:06 am

Initially wasn't too sure about the fourth episode 'The Doctor's Wife' but turned out to be totally brilliant... the crazy woman is the TARDIS (interesting and well conveyed concept considering that the Doctor has always had a 'close' relationship with his old ship of his), Amy and Rory running around inside the police box and then the Doctor and strange lady piloting a makeshift console inside the old coral flight deck.
sarah t

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Tue May 17, 2011 2:43 pm

I adored it, one of the best episodes since the series came back, and indeed since 1963.
Ian
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby sarah t » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:55 pm

Surprised no one here has mentioned the recent two-parter... 'The Rebel Flesh'/'The Almost People'

Personally I couldn't get to grips with this, the threat seemed like it was confined to an isolated castle on some alien planet with the Doctor, Amy and Rory just runing around the ruins. Guess it's one of those I'll have to watch a few times to really appreciate. IMO it had a tough job competing with the preceeding 'The Doctor's Wife'

Liked having two Doctor's in the second one but of course what really blew it out of the water was the revelation about Amy right at the end and a pretense that has been running ever since this season started six weeks ago.

Anyone got any thoughts before the mid season finale tomorrow???
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:08 pm

Just thought I'd mention, if anyone's interested...

Doctor Who returns to BBC1 (for the remaining six 'Season Six' episodes) on Saturday 27th August 2011 at 7.10pm
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:37 am

sarah t

Postby Afront » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Afront

Postby sarah t » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:46 am

Initially I had my doubts but thought that "The God Complex" was another brilliant really satisfying offering that has certain aspects that are worthy of praise. Loved the monster, the sinister replicating nature of the hotel and the (probably expected) final payoff at the end. Not really a spoiler as I guess it's all part of the two part finale but additionally I was surprised to find Amy and Rory leaving the TARDIS. Personally I'd like to see this Doctor with new companions, possibly alien in nature but I guess that is never going to happen. Oh yes and I loved the hotel carpet, very nice rich colour and pattening... something you'd probably find in an upperclass Indian restuarant.

I think it is going to be difficult to pick a favourite season story or even a top three but certainly IMO "The Girl That Waited" and "The God Complex" will be tough to beat by the last two part story!
sarah t

Postby ToyotaCityBoy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:12 pm

Well, the Cybermen have been wasted on some pretty useless stories before, but I think they sank to a new low on Saturday. :/

I remember when they were actually quite intimidating.
Last edited by ToyotaCityBoy on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToyotaCityBoy

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion