Doctor Who

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: Doctor Who

Postby sarah t » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:47 pm

SubHuman wrote:The trailer graphic is quite atmospheric, I'm just hoping the new series delivers. Really nasty baddies for the Doctor to vanquish.

There is a lot of buzz going on at fan forums particularly the official 'Gallifrey Base' where they've been talking about subjects like the planned Egyptian episode and a story which will return to Lanzarote (last seen in Davison 1984 'Planet of Fire' story) plus naturaly a new title sequence.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:12 am

Finally got around to watching the Day of the Doctor, I must say that it was better than I expected and having already watched the first ten minutes it was less of a culture shock than the first attempt. The story held my interest and I thought that the parts where the Doctor move from one time to another and met other re-generations of himself were particularly well done. Even if this device is an old sci-fi staple. I look forward to the new episodes with Peter Capaldi.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:49 pm

Actually when you think about it I think it is good scheduling for the new season to start in August as it will fit in nicely for the eventual 'season box set' coming out for the Xmas market. Not planing to do anything special to see it live, perhaps my good friend Andrew might be videotaping episodes for me or I'll catch them on BBCiPlayer at the library. Whatever, nothing will compare with seeing it on DVD in glorious 5.1 surround sound!!!
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:34 am

Just incase it has slipped your memory 'the Doctor will see you now' Saturday, 23rd August 2014 on BBC1 for "Deep Breath" the first feature length (80 mins long) episode of a 12 week run 7.50pm - 9.10pm.

periodicals like Radio Times and of course Doctor Who Magazine (on sale today (I've got mine! =D )) give brief details and episode titles (some quite intriguing) of what is coming up. Here's hoping for three months of quality BBC drama entertainment!
:)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:19 am

Must try to catch/see this, I'll record it as Sandra is defo off the Doctor these days "rubbish soap for teenagers".
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:31 am

SubHuman wrote:Must try to catch/see this, I'll record it as Sandra is defo off the Doctor these days "rubbish soap for teenagers".

I've got a mate video taping 'Deep Breath' after that I'll probably catch it on BBCiPlayer before more than likely dipping into my pocket for the extras packed box set at the end of the year.

NB from what I hear the tone of the show under Capaldi's Doctor will be different to the previous incarnations in ways like 'no hanky panky' between Doctor and companion so I might just win over Sandra!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:04 pm

sarah t wrote:
SubHuman wrote:Must try to catch/see this, I'll record it as Sandra is defo off the Doctor these days "rubbish soap for teenagers".

I've got a mate video taping 'Deep Breath' after that I'll probably catch it on BBCiPlayer before more than likely dipping into my pocket for the extras packed box set at the end of the year.

NB from what I hear the tone of the show under Capaldi's Doctor will be different to the previous incarnations in ways like 'no hanky panky' between Doctor and companion so I might just win over Sandra!

Not likely as once Sandra has made up her mind not to like something she rarely changes it.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:03 am

Still haven't watched this as football has taken priority and I nearly deleted the first episode by mistake! Has anyone seen this yet and is it worth the wait?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:36 am

SubHuman wrote:Still haven't watched this as football has taken priority and I nearly deleted the first episode by mistake! Has anyone seen this yet and is it worth the wait?

Still not entirely sure about this as it feels so very different to the previous three dating back to the 'reboot' of 2005. Yes it is definately more serious, more grown up you could say and I'm taking some time to get used to this version of the Doctor. Capaldi is definately a great choice for the Doctor and it is great to have another Scot in charge of the TARDIS. It is an interesting relationship he now has with Clara. There were moments of brilliance in 'Deep Breath' familiar to other post regeneration stories like 'Spearhead From Space' and 'Robot' to name a couple in the manic unstable Time Lord and I liked the Doctor and Clara being menaced by robots in the restaurant. I also watched 'Into The Dalek' last Friday on VHS video tape and was very disappointed with that but early days to make a definitate judgement. For me personally I think everything will work out just fine in the end but it is currently a 'period of adjustment' to the new style of series we are being offered now.

There is one thing I will say. I absolutely hate the opening/closing titles sequence. I can just about tolerate the tweaked theme tune but the graphics are awful and my main bug bear is the insect like credits, particuarly on the closing titles where those whom have worked so hard to entertain us are not given the credit they are due unless you have a magnfying glass up to the screen.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Complete but most welcome surprise to catch up with my friend Andrew (a hard working and much in demand Card Factory mate) today at the Oxfam bookshop. He has passed me a VHS video tape containing the 3rd, 4th and 5th episodes of the current Peter Capaldi season (that's the Robin Hood one, 'Listen' one and 'Time Heist' one), so that is my Friday evening entertainment sorted then!
=D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:41 pm

From my good mate Andrew I took to the settee last night to watch the three most recent Peter Capaldi stories on VHS video tape. So what do I think about delving further into what is currently gracing BBC1 each Saturday evening?

Well yeah pleasing enough to get a period set costume drama but for me ‘Robot of Sherwood’ didn’t really kick into high gear after its initial scene setting period until about eighteen minutes in thanks to the frankly daft archery contest between the Doctor and Robin Hood. I liked the banter between these two characters beginning with that broadsword versus a large desert spoon battle combat on a bridge over water. Seems like a good sci-fi premise to what the aliens are up to concluding with that ludicrous but fun bow and arrow shot to destroy the hovering spaceship.

Once in a while head writer Steven Moffatt truly ‘knocks it out of the park’ with a stunning classic story the people talk about for years to come. We’ve had ‘The Empty Child’/’The Doctor Dances’, ‘The Girl In The Fireplace’ and ‘Blink’ to name but three and in my opinion you should add this season’s “Listen” story to that list of highly acclaimed instalments. Yeah there is no obvious monster/foe on offer and minimal incidental music however with such a strong intriguingly satisfying plot delving into the past of both Clara and the Doctor the largely cerebral tale gets you thinking throughout the story as to just where Steven is taking you. From that initial pre titles scene of the Doctor sitting outside and on top of the TARDIS in space theorising to himself to the end of the story with Clara attempting to reassure a young boy in a barn this is definitely a joyfully satisfying essential offering from the current series. A thought provoking premise with great performances and plenty of memorable moments which I think is worthy of repeat viewings.

Last one of the trilogy of stories I watched last night was “Time Heist” which for most of it I was initially sceptical about. A few interesting concepts like the two eye pronged creature that can detect guilt and Keeley Hawes satisfyingly portrays bank vault manager Ms Delphox. Excellent resolution to the story but overall I personally am not overly keen about “Time Heist” which unusually seemed me to remind me of that other BBC series “Hustle” with Robert Vaughn.

As a final word, well for the time being, is to anyone whom might possibly have drifted away during Matt Smith’s tenure I heartily recommend that you come back and give the series another go. The more I see of Peter Capaldi I am definitely warming to his more serious no-nonsense approach to the role than his predecessor. This also seems to be reflected in the BBC’s time slot for the show which seems to be drifting later away from its initial children’s teatime slot that Verity Lambert and Sydney Newman originally were allocated way back in 1963. Under the helm of Russell T Davies ‘Doctor Who’ occupied the middle ground between children’s series like ‘Sarah Jane Adventures’ and adult series “Torchwood” but I think, certainly with the tone of this eighth season it’s drifting towards the latter more grown up show.
=D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:11 am

I’ve been watching the next couple of stories on VHS video tape recently…

I thought ‘The Caretaker’ was a lot of fun taking place in and around Coal Hill School. I liked seeing ‘ordinary life’ and ‘Doctor life’ that Clara presently has particularly when getting into the taxi with a stray bit of seaweed attached! Much amusement in this story like Clara getting chased down a school corridor by the robot like alien. The interaction between her and the Doctor and her and her boyfriend teacher (Maths not P.E. as our Time Lord is fond of assuming). The scene in the sports hall is particularly good from a special effects and dramatic perspective. Very enjoyable mostly lightweight offering that I am sure I’ll be watching quite a few times when it eventually makes it onto DVD.

Regarding ‘Kill The Moon’ I thought the lunar landscape is well cool looking in portraying the stark lifeless environment. I guess this is location filming in Lanzarote but the ‘digitally regraded’ the picture to get that unique colour tone. The spiders particularly crawling over the moon surface are very well realised and suitably creepy but for me this episode lost all credibility when it was stated that ‘the moon was an egg’ and about to give birth. That certainly was a massive emotional falling out between the Doctor and Clara and would have been a perfect way to write out the companion. Thankfully we know this is not the case as ‘back in the real world’ we know that the actress is contracted to the entire season. Visually impressive but from a story perspective I personally was a little underwhelmed with ‘Kill The Moon’.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:24 pm

I see the 'Calendar Club' retail outlets have appeared around shopping centres now with their 2015 ware. I had a look at the design for Doctor Who and feel it is a big disappointment compared with last years 50th anniversary edition. Fairly basic images of 12th Doctor related season with quotes from the series hardly makes for an appealing product. If I had to choose I would much rather nab a copy of the (admittedly targeted towards the children's end of the market) 2015 Annual although certainly would not want to pay top price of £7.99... maybe I'm being picky but it seems a bit steep for me.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:19 pm

three more episodes on VHS video tape last night. Nothing really particularly memorable about 'Mummy on the Orient Express' and 'In The Forest of the Night' but 'Flatline' I was extremely impressed with. IMO if you only watch one episode from Peter Capaldi's debut season this has got to be essential viewing, truly stunning, suspenseful, exciting and extremely rewarding viewing!

On the one hand there is the amusing... Quite bizzare to have a 'very tiny TARDIS' with the Doctor trapped inside and talking through the small door especially when he is moving the psychic paper and sonic screwdriver to Clara from where the box is in her bag. Quite amusing when having tilted the small police box on its side a small hand extends to lift it and move it off the railway tracks and the oncoming train. Memories of Tom Baker's last story Logopolis but 'Flatline' handles it much better and for much longer.

then on the other there is the chilling, scary... Like for example the police lady being sucked into the carpet, yes we've seen this before in season six's 'Night Terrors' but this is much more frightening. There is also Clara and the youth in the round ball chair suspended by a chain attempting to evade the creeping menace coming from the floor and walls and swinging out of the window. The scenes in the underground tunnel are extremely chilling and well shot, bringing memories of 'Attack of the Cybermen' and 'The Web of Fear' to mind.

If you missed it you definitely need to check this episode out on BBCiPlayer, I promise you will not be disappointed, it really is IMO absolutely excellent!!!!!!!! =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:50 pm

I've tried watching this series of Dr Who but it still leaves me less than impressed. Needless to day my son Shaun and his children are still hooked. Guess I'm too much of and old git.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:22 pm

Looks like a more Pertwee blowdried hairstyle and will be playing electric guitar does this wet your appetite for 19th September??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB8fh4QUy-A

I say 'bring it on'!!! =D =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:30 am

sarah t wrote:Looks like a more Pertwee blowdried hairstyle and will be playing electric guitar does this wet your appetite for 19th September??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB8fh4QUy-A

I say 'bring it on'!!! =D =D

I'll try watching the next series, I used to like the really old programmes but I've had problems warming to the newer Doctors.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:09 pm

Surprised nobody has mentioned it but a new (series 9) run of Doctor Who has recently started. Just the other day my friend Andrew gave me a VHS taped copy of the first couple of episodes a two-part story set on home of the Daleks, Skaro. It certainly seemed like good fun entertainment. Wasn't expecting to see Davros 'out of his chair' showing that there really is 'not much of him'. Amusing to see the Doctor in the 'bath chair' surprising the Daleks and the viewers who were expecting Davros to appear in the control room. Plus how about the Doctor with shades on playing an electric guitar... let's rock! I also liked the 'snake man' whom unfurling his coat disassembled into many wriggling reptiles. For me the only fault with the story was Missy whom I am really starting to dislike... her patronising childish talk really starting to irritate.

On the evidence of this double episode story I personally am looking forward to getting to see more in the near future.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:36 am

Came across this by chance when looking for info about the Radiophonic Workshop:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IXKaOwHh7M
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:57 am

Yesterday I was catching up with recent stuff on BBCiPlayer and watched the special 'The Husbands of River Song'... I was smiling and laughing quite a bit for most of it although this head swapping on the large red robot and in particular the pulling someone's head diagonally apart to retrieve a silver ball from inside the slimy contents was particularly gross, I guess not the kind of thing you want to see when it was originally transmitted (i.e. 25th December around 5pm). Having said that I thought it wasn't a half bad story, better than some of the specials we have been given.

I also watched 'Hell Bent', the finale to the current series and it was great to get back to Gallifrey and the old cardinal costumes. A great fun story, good to see the original old TARDIS interior and it posed the possibility that Clara may still be alive, cheating death and having her own adventures in a stolen TARDIS. Capaldi was impressive as ever and I like the way he faced down his brother time lords out in the wastelands of Gallifrey.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:04 pm

Just in case you might have missed it, the Doctor will be getting a new companion soon... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbMmsShghT4

However the reason for speaking about Who is I've just picked up this months edition of the official magazine (a highlight of each four weeks for me!) Fairly average sort of issue but I'm looking forward to taking time to read about the 'Fact of Fiction' of Tom Baker story "Warriors Gate", quite an imaginative early 80s tale with some concepts and sci-fi but of course this was a time when the series was struggling in the ratings against ITV's latest acquisition 'Buck Rogers In the 25th Century'.

I digress because having got to the inside back cover of this 84 page publication the 'next issue' advert makes us aware that out on 26th May 2016 will be the 500th, yes 500th issue of 'Doctor Who Magazine'. Feels like I will metaphorically speaking, 'have to get the cheque book out' as it will be £9.99. Hell of a lot but then you do get an impressive amount for your dosh like TWO 116-page magazines, giant double-sided poster, collectible art card and stickers. I can't remember how long I've been buying this title, probably a few years before the 2005 return but perhaps there are some of you here whom might have started much earlier than me. Anyway great to see it reach 500 issues and I think I can just about excuse it for being double the price just this once.
sarah t

Re: Doctor Who & Synths

Postby JJ » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:23 pm

For those of you interested in Dr. Who AND synthesizers, this article is on the ABC website today.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby sarah t » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:16 pm

Quite astonished to find Patrick Troughton's debut story is getting a DVD release in November https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Power-Daleks-DVD/dp/B01LOC83Y2/ref=pd_lutyp_simh_1_1?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LOC83Y2&pd_rd_r=WJV62EQZDAKGZ9G8TYK4&pd_rd_w=t37NQ&pd_rd_wg=lYoCH&psc=1&refRID=WJV62EQZDAKGZ9G8TYK4 Quite a coincidence that just the other week I was listening to the two and half hour audio CD of the soundtrack to this second Doctor story of which nothing visual at all exists in the BBC archives. Given past rather hit-and-miss animation I feel a bit uneasy about another attempt. I thought the animation for the last episode of Hartnell's final story 'The Tenth Planet' was dreadful but was highly impressed with what was achieved on episode one and four of the eight part Cyberman Troughton story 'The Invasion'. Hopefully nearer the time some footage of 'Power of the Daleks' might leak onto YouTube.
:/
sarah t

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:22 pm

I went to a BFI preview of The Power Of The Daleks on Saturday. Whilst I did feel the animation was a bit cheap and looked rushed (as indeed it was) the story is so engaging it hardly seems to matter. I can't wait to see all 6 episodes. It is also coming out on blu-ray in the New Year in colour.
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby sarah t » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:09 pm

Great news to hear that the Ice Warriors will be coming back in the 2017 season in 'Face Time' written by Mark Gatiss. Hopefully all those tantalising back story snippets that were given during their previous appearance (in 2013's 'Cold War') will be explained more fully!
=D
sarah t

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion