Doctor Who

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Doctor Who

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Sat May 26, 2007 8:04 am

Well tonight's (Human Nature) looks bloody good for the previews- and I remember enjoying the book it was based on when I read it a decade ago.
Ian
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby sarah t » Sat May 26, 2007 12:27 pm

I agree with you this could indeed be a classic, seemingly turning the format on its head. The Doctor becomes human, sounds a bit like Superman relinquishing his special powers for Lois, the love of his life in "Superman II"
sarah t

Postby Afront » Sat May 26, 2007 9:18 pm

In DW:Confidential, writer Paul Cornell did indeed cite Superman II as a parallel (as well as Jesus out of the Bible).

I thought this was the best episode of series 3 so far, and the first where Freema showed she might indeed be able to measure up to Billie Piper. The pacing was spot on, good supporting cast, and there was a genuine sense of the unknown. And Gallifrey finally got a namecheck!
Afront

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Sat May 26, 2007 10:38 pm

It was also lovely to see past Doctors in John Smith's notebook and of course his parents being called Sydney and Verity.
Ian
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby waza » Sun May 27, 2007 1:21 pm

Last edited by waza on Sun May 27, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.myspace.com/aronguestmusic

Singer/Songwriter Electro/Pop
waza

Postby RobC » Mon May 28, 2007 12:18 am

They shouldn`t have showed the writer Paul Cornell , he looked like the archetypal Dr Who geek who goes to conventions , well thats part of my "get freaks off my TV" campaign anyway ....with BB8 starting soon , Im a bit fecked for a while :(

And while Im here , fecking tired journo scum - why the use of "pretty" before her name ? (she is , but thats not the point) , lazy cliche writing makes me want to hurl up , this piece has the hallmarks of one journo shouting across the room "I reckon the new dr who bird`s gonna get sacked , shes not as luverly as `bouncy castle` piper" while the another thinks ......"a reliable source has just revealed to me that ......." (yes that was deliberate irony of using a journo scum cliche . The phrase "journo scum" is also copyrighted for me to use ;)

I prefer Freema to Piper , it was "like someone had thrown a lump of wood on set when she walked on" .
Last edited by RobC on Mon May 28, 2007 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobC

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Mon May 28, 2007 10:20 am

The story has been refuted, though sadly the Sun often seems to be correct (Eccleston quitting etc)
Ian
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Mon May 28, 2007 10:33 am

Ian
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby sarah t » Tue May 29, 2007 9:35 am

sarah t

Postby orac » Wed May 30, 2007 1:49 am

For me, this was the best Who adventure since the dizzy heights of the Eccles season and 'The Empty Child'.
Absolutely perfect and I wish it was as consistent as this for the whole 13 week run.
I've been spoiled by Heroes recently where every episode knocks you for six and Who offerings such as the tired '42' just bored me to tears with it's ex-soap actors and cheap sets.
The series struggles with the futuristic stories but the Beeb still seem to pull out all the stops to recreate the past.
Human Nature is up there with Talons in my humble opinion.

A bit disheartened to read that Freema is on the way out (The Sun have never been wrong about the new series in the past with regards to scoops so it has the ring of truth to it).
For me, Freema has been one of the best things about season 3.
Last edited by orac on Wed May 30, 2007 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
news headlines on the hour
e l e c t r o n i c a l l y y o u r s
http://www.league-online.com
orac

Postby RobC » Wed May 30, 2007 2:55 am

Have to agree there Rob , watching Heroes (which if you havent seen it , has less special effects than Dr Who) and more so Battlestar Galactica , Dr Who can`t hold a candle to either , in terms of acting quality , story arcs and depth of the characters/plot , I still enjoy Dr Who but jesus christ russell have a look at the competition . As for Freema leaving , again , rather like a new HL album , I`ll believe it when I see it .
RobC

Postby sarah t » Wed May 30, 2007 1:29 pm

A bit disheartened to read that Freema is on the way out (The Sun have never been wrong about the new series in the past with regards to scoops so it has the ring of truth to it).
For me, Freema has been one of the best things about season 3.

Don't believe this, especially from one of the 'tatty red top' daily newspapers. Besides someone commented, through ITV teletext TV comment page that they had seen a draft script of the Xmas 2007 special and Freema is in it.

I agree Freema's been great this year, just wish she'd have a few more costume changes, shades of Ace from the classic series methinks!
sarah t

Postby Psychotroniclovecommando » Wed May 30, 2007 9:05 pm

DJ Ian Aitch wrote:It was also lovely to see past Doctors in John Smith's notebook

It's good to see that since Doctor Who came back to our screens that they still refer to his past/classic series.
I was concerned when it first came back it was going to ditch the past history of the show.
Also I much prefer Tennant to Eccleston.
I'm The Sex Fuhrer Baby I'm A Love Dictator
You're A Disco Reptile A Funky Alligator
Psychotroniclovecommando

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Thu May 31, 2007 8:12 am

Psychotroniclovecommando wrote:Also I much prefer Tennant to Eccleston.

I do now too - I think Tennant was a bit of a let down in the the 2006 series, but this year he has totally and utterly nailed the part.
Ian
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby Psychotroniclovecommando » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:57 am

DJ Ian Aitch wrote:I do now too - I think Tennant was a bit of a let down in the the 2006 series, but this year he has totally and utterly nailed the part.

Yeah.
Maybe I would have liked Eccleston more if he had made another series and given himself time to really get into the part.
Colin Baker was slated a lot when he was the Doctor, but near the end of his stint I was beginning to like his take on the character.

BBC need to make sure that future actors make atleast two series, otherwise it becomes a bit of a farce, and the Doctor only has 3 regenerations left so...
Psychotroniclovecommando

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:01 am

Psychotroniclovecommando wrote:
DJ Ian Aitch wrote:I do now too - I think Tennant was a bit of a let down in the the 2006 series, but this year he has totally and utterly nailed the part.

Yeah.
Maybe I would have liked Eccleston more if he had made another series and given himself time to really get into the part.
Colin Baker was slated a lot when he was the Doctor, but near the end of his stint I was beginning to like his take on the character.

BBC need to make sure that future actors make atleast two series, otherwise it becomes a bit of a farce, and the Doctor only has 3 regenerations left so...

If the programme continues to be popular I think the 13 incarnations rule is likely to be by-passed. The 13th Doctor will die on some planet that is able to provide a new life cycle or something, somehow.
Ian
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby Psychotroniclovecommando » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:55 pm

DJ Ian Aitch wrote:If the programme continues to be popular I think the 13 incarnations rule is likely to be by-passed. The 13th Doctor will die on some planet that is able to provide a new life cycle or something, somehow.

Well if its good enough for the Master.......
Psychotroniclovecommando

Postby waza » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:41 pm

i have enjoyed the family of blood episodes. in my opinion, these 2 episodes are the best of the season so far.
http://www.myspace.com/aronguestmusic

Singer/Songwriter Electro/Pop
waza

Postby orac » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:25 pm

DJ Ian Aitch wrote:If the programme continues to be popular I think the 13 incarnations rule is likely to be by-passed. The 13th Doctor will die on some planet that is able to provide a new life cycle or something, somehow.

The BBC will probably go dowm this route but I think it will make a mockery of the show's 40 year history.
If the Doctor can regenerate beyond 13 incarnations than you lose any real sense of danger and the chartacter becomes immortal.
Son of 'Doctor Who' may be a better way forward.

Loved last night's eppy by the way.
orac

Postby Psychotroniclovecommando » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:32 pm

I agree with DJ Ian Aitch as far as the regenerations go, if its still popular the BBC will no doubt pluck something from their arse to keep it going.

I thought the Family Of Blood eps were pants to be honest, ho hum.

Roll on Mr Saxon!
Psychotroniclovecommando

Postby sarah t » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:33 am

sarah t

Postby orac » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:46 am

Quite simply one of the best Dr Who stories ever. The writer expanded on the core concept of the series and presented us with something we have never seen in the series before.
I wish that the show would take more creative risks at times and avoid decending into camp farce with little or no logic (Gridlock).
DT's performance as John Smith is BAFTA nomination material and matches anything I've seen in 'Heroes'.

Another one of my fave writers who seems to instinctively know what makes the series tick, is back next week - Mr Steven Moffit and 'Blink' looks very, very promising.
Last edited by orac on Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
orac

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:26 am

Ian
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby ToyotaCityBoy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:00 am

The easiest way to cram in an extra actor as The Doctor would be to have someone play the first incarnation as a younger Time Lord. I hope they do that when they run out of incarnations...
ToyotaCityBoy

Postby EmpireStateHuman » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:06 am

To be honest, it's a non-issue in my mind - the 12 regenerations limit was only mentioned, what, 3? 4? times in the original series. If it's a choice between cancelling the series / turning it into a crappy 'next generation' / Young Dr Who spinoff or contradicting Mawdryn Undead, then I think it's pretty clear what the sensible option is!

And if they're going to reference it at all, I think the best way would be for the 14th Dr to sit up after regenerating and just say "Well, I wasn't expecting THAT to happen". Job done.
EmpireStateHuman

Next

Return to General discussion