'At the Movies' - Cinema or DVD

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Postby sarah t » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:34 pm

Probably best Kevin although we don't mind you 'teasing' us about films worth of praise (or possibly derision) that have not gone on general release beyond the shores of America
:)
sarah t

Postby Kevin Caywood » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:38 pm

Ok Sarah, I'll try to break them down for you. I don't know your taste in films, so consider accordingly. If digital animation or action isn't your cup of tea, then check out the premise of the film to see if it's something worth your time and money. :)

Just a note on your comment. Sometimes the Euro market gets premieres before Americans do. Thor and Harry Potter are an example. ;)

All the movies I mentioned, I enjoyed.

Highly recommended are Rio, Fast Five, Something Borrowed, Thor and Pirates.

Worth while with reservation are Priest, Bridesmaids, Hangover and Kung Fu Panda.

Rio - Is on par with a Disney/Pixar film (it's distributed by 20th Century Fox.) It's an excellent story, colorful, has likeable characters, and has outstanding music and songs for it's kind. If you have a chance to see it in 3D, do it. The flying sequences and street scenery give it an extra sensation that doesn't distract from the story.

Fast Five - Best in the series. It has elements of the Transporter combined with the Ocean 11 series. Right amount of action and subplot transitions to make it intriguing, edge of your seat fun. The dramatic tension is underplayed to make it light escapism.

Something Borrowed - Basically it's a chick flick (for the guys who are reading this.) However it's an outstanding character study with realistic scenarios. This film stands out compared to other films like it recently made. Well acted, well scripted, with the right ballance of drama and comedy. It exceeded my expectations.

Thor - Reminded me of the same ambiance as the 1978 Superman movie. They got the correct actors to play the parts, and the correct combination of action, comedy and special effects. THORoughly entertaining!

Pirates of the Caribbean - I'm a huge fan of this series. For me, this one is better than the second and third film. Only because it relies more on charm than outlandish sensationalism. The only drawback was 3/4th way into the film, I was thinking "They still haven't reached their destination." Had twenty or thirty minutes been trimmed in editing - could of resulted as the best film in the series.

Priest - Is a combination of the Van Helsing movie (from a few years ago) with the Matrix style of action. It's an above average film that gets over shadowed by the stronger competition.

Kung Fu Panda 2 - Enjoyable. If you enjoyed the first one, you'll enjoy this one. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bridesmaids and Hangover 2 - I had high expectations from word of mouth on these two. Several scenes made me laugh. Some that was suppose too, didn't. It relies heavily on risque humor that works well with an college age audience. Showing the punchlines in the trailers lessen the experience when watching it. Amusing - but I've seen other films that produced more laughs.

Hopefully this helped, remember - only my opinion.

When the film is over... Don't get up, wait patiently through the credits... There's an extra scene at the end of Rio, Fast Five, Something Borrowed, Thor, Pirates and Kung Fu Panda. Which means... If they generate enough money, a sequel could be in the future.

Hold Tight. I'm highly anticipating Super 8, Cars 2, and Harry Potter!

To Be Continued... ;)
Kevin Caywood

Postby sarah t » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:21 pm

sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:04 pm

Am I the only one whom has a fondness for the 1989 film "The Fabulous Baker Boys"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097322/

I was watching it last night and apart from the great vocals and piano playing there is a gut wrenching emotive story being told of how two down on their luck pianists hire a singer to help revive their flagging careers with unforeseen emotive consequences revealed. A brilliant, well paced and acted film!
:)
sarah t

Postby Kevin Caywood » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Alright Folks... I saw a lot of movies this Summer. The Blockbuster period for American audience and presumably world wide. My Top 10, Don't miss...

1) Rise of the Planet of the Apes. A refreshingly realistic, intelligent action film. Best of all the Apes movies, sequels and spinoffs.

2) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2. It answers all the questions and goes all out with a bang. If you read the book you would have already known this.

3) Fast Five. The best of the Fast and the Furious series. Non stop action film that doesn't focus on gang culture like the previous films.

4) Rio. My favorite of all the digital animation movies of 2011 so far.

5) Super 8. For those of us who longs for a Speilberg movie like he made in the seventies and eighties.

6) Thor. In many ways reminded me of the 1978 Superman movie.

7) Captain America. It was surprisingly enjoyful and witty without being overly patriotic and presumptuous.

8) Pirates of the Caribbean: On Strangers Tide. This one had more of the essence of being about Pirates. Instead of concentrating on fabled characters or bringing us to imaginary places.

9) Something Borrowed. Realistic relationship movie.

10) Friends With Benefits. If you can overlook Justin Timberlake's persona, another realistic relationship movie.

Honorable Mentions.

X-Men First Class. Surprisingly better some of the other films in this series.

Green Lantern. Ryan Reynolds undeniably likeable person and film. It suffers from the over abundance of Super-Hero, Action, Sequel films of the Summer.

Cars 2. Better than the first Disney Pixar Cars. Like Green Lantern it gets overshadowed by all of the other big name films.
Kevin Caywood

Postby Afront » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:03 am

Kevin Caywood wrote:1) Rise of the Planet of the Apes. A refreshingly realistic, intelligent action film. Best of all the Apes movies, sequels and spinoffs.

I've been looking forward to this since I first heard about it. It's not out here in the UK yet but I definitely plan to see this big-screen at the cinema.

Kevin Caywood wrote:2) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2. It answers all the questions and goes all out with a bang. If you read the book you would have already known this.

Not read any of the books, but watched the 7 movies again in a row, one a night, before going to see this. Very good conclusion, definitely makes much more sense if you don't have a year gap between each part: first time round I lost the plot!

Kevin Caywood wrote:3) Fast Five. The best of the Fast and the Furious series. Non stop action film that doesn't focus on gang culture like the previous films.

Pass. Vin Diesel is dead to me until he makes the next Riddick.

Kevin Caywood wrote:4) Rio. My favorite of all the digital animation movies of 2011 so far.

I'll probably watch this one weekend with my niece (aged 5).

Kevin Caywood wrote:5) Super 8. For those of us who longs for a Speilberg movie like he made in the seventies and eighties.

Hearing lots of good things about Super 8, so will certainly make the effort to see this.

Kevin Caywood wrote:6) Thor. In many ways reminded me of the 1978 Superman movie.

That kind puts me off, but I'll still get this on rental.

Kevin Caywood wrote:7) Captain America. It was surprisingly enjoyful and witty without being overly patriotic and presumptuous.

Marvel Films seem to be on fire at the moment, might go see this through the week.

Kevin Caywood wrote:8) Pirates of the Caribbean: On Strangers Tide. This one had more of the essence of being about Pirates. Instead of concentrating on fabled characters or bringing us to imaginary places.

Not a chance. Go read some Tim Powers instead.

Kevin Caywood wrote:X-Men First Class. Surprisingly better some of the other films in this series.

One of the best X-Men movies I thought. Great retro fun.

Kevin Caywood wrote:Green Lantern. Ryan Reynolds undeniably likeable person and film. It suffers from the over abundance of Super-Hero, Action, Sequel films of the Summer.

Sequel? This is getting panned by everyone but I'll probably still check it out on Blu-Ray.

Kevin Caywood wrote:Cars 2. Better than the first Disney Pixar Cars. Like Green Lantern it gets overshadowed by all of the other big name films.

For the first time ever I've not rushed out to see the new Pixar movie. That's because this is a Disney movie and Disney movies are usually shite :p
Afront

Postby Kevin Caywood » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:13 am

Ok Jer...
Kevin Caywood wrote:3) Fast Five. The best of the Fast and the Furious series. Non stop action film that doesn't focus on gang culture like the previous films.

Afront wrote:Pass. Vin Diesel is dead to me until he makes the next Riddick.

You're in luck, there's a Riddick sequel in the works. Maybe give F5 a second thought. I saw the first film and couldn't care less about the series. This one feels like Ocean 11 on Speed.

Here's news on Riddick sequel...
http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-news/11278/first-concept-artwork-from-riddick-3/

Kevin Caywood wrote:6) Thor. In many ways reminded me of the 1978 Superman movie.

Afront wrote:That kind puts me off, but I'll still get this on rental.

I don't know your taste in films or what turned you off about Superman. The resemblance for me was the right blend of fantasy, comedy and action.

Kevin Caywood wrote:Green Lantern. Ryan Reynolds undeniably likeable person and film. It suffers from the over abundance of Super-Hero, Action, Sequel films of the Summer.

Afront wrote:Sequel? This is getting panned by everyone but I'll probably still check it out on Blu-Ray.

Green Lantern sequel? Yes, there will be... Supposedly will be darker, edgier

Here's news on Green Lantern Sequel...
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/08/02/warner-green-lantern-2-will-be-edgier-flash-has-solid-script/

The other one I left off was Transformers Dark of the Moon. If you like the series, it's more of the same. For me it was worth the ticket, but felt the other films should get the attention.

Bridesmaids, Hangover 2, Bad Teacher and Horrible Bosses all feel like the Judd Apatow formula for comedies. For me, they were just ok. Some of my peers praised Bridesmaids and Hangover...

Kung Fu Panda 2... like Cars 2. Cute films but can't compare to all the other films of the summer.

Priest and Cowboys & Aliens. I enjoyed them. Some people scoffed C&A and couldn't swallow the concept. Both films are above average and could watch them again one day on home video.

Zookeeper and Mr. Poppers Penguins. Strictly for kids or home video if you are interested.

And that's a wrap! ;)
Kevin Caywood

Postby Stig Olsen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Kevin Caywood wrote:1) Rise of the Planet of the Apes. A refreshingly realistic, intelligent action film. Best of all the Apes movies, sequels and spinoffs.

Must see this soon - I liked the original and the newer version.

Kevin Caywood wrote:Super 8. For those of us who longs for a Speilberg movie like he made in the seventies and eighties.

Seeing this on thursday - first time I bring my son to a somewhat 'scary' movie.

Kevin Caywood wrote:Something Borrowed. Realistic relationship movie.

You had free tickets, or got forced to see this? you can borrow a chair and sit on our living room, if you want to watch 'realistic relationship' things! ;)

Kevin Caywood wrote:Cars 2. Better than the first Disney Pixar Cars. Like Green Lantern it gets overshadowed by all of the other big name films.

Will be my wife and the youngest going to see this.

Other than that, I look forward to two movies - Tintin and The Hobbit.
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby Kevin Caywood » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Kevin Caywood wrote:Super 8. For those of us who longs for a Speilberg movie like he made in the seventies and eighties.

Stig Olsen wrote:Seeing this on thursday - first time I bring my son to a somewhat 'scary' movie.

I say it's Jurassic Park scary. I didn't think Jurassic Park was scary. But can understand how some people might be hesistant about their children seeing such a film. Without giving it away the creature doesn't kill innocent people. It's more running, screaming, chasing, explosion stuff...

Kevin Caywood wrote:Something Borrowed. Realistic relationship movie.

Stig Olsen wrote:You had free tickets, or got forced to see this? you can borrow a chair and sit on our living room, if you want to watch 'realistic relationship' things! ;)

Hahahaa :D Normally I wouldn't suggest these types of movies. I brought my Mother to see it for Mothers Day. I identified with the characters and the scenerios at this time in my life. I thought Sara and some of the other female readers would also would like these movies.

Enjoy! :D :D :D :D
Kevin Caywood

Postby cs15 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:58 pm

I saw Super 8 this weekend. I was hoping for so much more. It's good but it's not great. Can't really understand what all the fuss is about. I'd give it 3 out of 5. Enjoyable but not amazing.
If you were a diamond, I wouldn't want you now.
cs15

Postby cs15 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Saw 'Hannah' tonight. Great oddball movie. Well worth a watch. The soundtrack by The Chemical Brothers was fantastic. Made the movie for me.
cs15

Postby Kevin Caywood » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:14 pm

I see that Sheffield was chosen to get a premiere of Paranormal Activity 3.
Kevin Caywood

Postby brakeson » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:50 pm

I've gone a bit oldschool recently, and have gotten into Star Trek infinite space and Battlestar Galactica online - classics!!
Last edited by brakeson on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brakeson

Postby sarah t » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:09 pm

sarah t

Postby The World Tonight » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Saw The Artist last weekend.Totally different from any other movie since the 1920's.Black & White & almost totally silent until the last few minutes apart from the film score throughout.In some way it's a version of A Star Is Born - award winning male silent movie star's career fails as he refuses to move with the times & wont embrace the transition to the "talkies".The movie charts his fall & the rise of a young actress who initially gained fame through a photo opportunity with the silent movie star.It's a charming & funny film that is well worth checking out.

I also saw Shame today which is a totally different kettle of fish (not necessarily in a bad way but I might dash off a couple of lines about it at another time).
Last edited by The World Tonight on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Be Continued...
The World Tonight

Postby JJ » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:25 am

I did the two extremes of cinema last week. Took the kids to see Happy Feet 2, which was pretty good, then saw The Iron Lady, which was just outstanding, and almost totally faithful to her autobiography.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby Kevin Caywood » Thu May 03, 2012 4:09 pm

Going to see The Avengers/Avengers Assemble this weekend. I heard it's already playing across the pond. Any thoughts or comments on it? Can't wait for Prometheus and Dark Knight Rises! Big Summer at the movies...
Kevin Caywood

Postby cs15 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:14 pm

I saw AA last Sunday and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Superhero movies really aren't my bag but this one is really good. Good bit of comedy thrown in too which always helps. The Hulk kinda steals the movie (in a good way) though. My only gripe would be it's 2.5 hours running time. My ass was asleep by the time we left.
cs15

Postby cs15 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Saw Prometheus today. Wow! Alien on steroids. The 2 hours flew by. Great movie. I've read a couple of negative reviews and can't understand them. It's certainly not the best movie I've ever seen but I went in hoping to see a good movie and came out satisfied having seen a great one. Highly recommend it.
cs15

Postby MTBLeague » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:19 pm

Iron Sky - Some Nazi escaped to the dark side of the Moon just before the end of WW2, fun poked at everything, especially liked the UN type conference quote "OK who secretly did not arm their space programme?" as they went off chasing the Nazi threat.

Quite enjoyable, nice to see a non Hollywood big budget film with more of a community/fan slant.

http://www.ironsky.net/site/propaganda/pictures/
The path of Least resistance....is easier if things are connected!
MTBLeague

Postby Stig Olsen » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

cs15 wrote:Saw Prometheus today. Wow! Alien on steroids. The 2 hours flew by. Great movie. I've read a couple of negative reviews and can't understand them. It's certainly not the best movie I've ever seen but I went in hoping to see a good movie and came out satisfied having seen a great one. Highly recommend it.

Hopefully seeing it this week - I have waited for this a long time. I'm bringing my 12 year old son, and I don't care if he's scared - it will be a valuable lesson! ;)

... oh, and there will be a Prometheus II!

MTBLeague wrote:Iron Sky - Some Nazi escaped to the dark side of the Moon just before the end of WW2, fun poked at everything, especially liked the UN type conference quote "OK who secretly did not arm their space programme?" as they went off chasing the Nazi threat.

Quite enjoyable, nice to see a non Hollywood big budget film with more of a community/fan slant.

I posted about this January 2009 - 420 views and no replies - just to give you an idea of how waaaay ahead of this forum, I am.....haven't seen it yet, though :-) :

http://www.humanleagueforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?id=1028
Stig Olsen

Postby cs15 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Stig Olsen wrote:Hopefully seeing it this week - I have waited for this a long time. I'm bringing my 12 year old son, and I don't care if he's scared - it will be a valuable lesson! ;)

Really? It's rated 15(A) over here and having seen it now I know I wouldn't bring along my 12 & 13 year old nieces and nephews. There are a couple of scenes that are ''difficult to watch'' but won't spoil the fun for you. You must be a proper bad ass daddy. :lol:
Last edited by cs15 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cs15

Postby Stig Olsen » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Well, the rating system is just a guide (and a good one too), but he has seen a few scary movies before - not gory shit, but quality movies, without it making him have bad dreams or sleepless nights.

But I probably should look into HOW scary it is, before I drag him along (he begged, I might add).
Stig Olsen

Postby cs15 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:43 pm

There really is just the one scene that is particularly graphic. The rest isn't too scary. Kinda. ;-)
cs15

Postby Stig Olsen » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:53 am

cs15 wrote:There really is just the one scene that is particularly graphic. The rest isn't too scary. Kinda. ;-)

If it's a kissing scene, he will find that scary!

I hope they have recreated the underwear scene just with Charlize Theron....
Stig Olsen

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion