'At the Movies' - Cinema or DVD

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Postby Stig Olsen » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:16 pm

cs15 wrote:There really is just the one scene that is particularly graphic. The rest isn't too scary. Kinda. ;-)

NOW, I know which scene you mean, and it was exactly that one my son hated the most!

Eitherway - I absolutely looved the movie - beautiful made, and gave some of the answers, not that I needed them. Looking forward to the sequel.
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby cs15 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:40 pm

Ha!

I knew it. Everyone that I know that has seen the movie has said the same about that scene. ;)

I really don't understand the negative reviews this film has had. I really enjoyed it.
If you were a diamond, I wouldn't want you now.
cs15

Postby Panzermensch » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:50 am

Stig Olsen wrote:I absolutely looved the movie - beautiful made, and gave some of the answers, not that I needed them. Looking forward to the sequel.

Agreed! It was bloody good on the eye! I did feel that much of the suspense was build up the same way as Alien, but still, great movie. Regarding THAT scene, reminded me too much of the birth of my children!!!
www.the-black-hit-of-space.dk - now with a NEWS section!
Panzermensch

Postby Kevin Caywood » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:14 am

Even though it wasn't a sequel or supposedly prequel. It was still structured like the 1979 movie. Many key scenes took a wink at the original, where the writers could have gone in different directions. (Spoiler Alert) The birth scene, David's head, Not letting the infected crew back on the ship, Repace character scrambling down the halls at the end, etc. The photography was beautiful. Overall I enjoyed it and anticipate a sequel.
Kevin Caywood

Postby Pauline » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:28 am

Saw a preview screening of Rock of Ages last night. BRILLIANT rock n roll cheese-fest, rock karaoke potential to the max!!! If you don't like power ballads, don't go there! I loved it, and the stage show too :cool:
...more firey than the sun...
Pauline

Re: 'At the Movies' - Cinema or DVD

Postby sarah t » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:03 pm

a work of sheer comic genius, paused briefly late Saturday morning to dig out my DVD copy of that classic 60s Peter Sellers film "A Shot In The Dark", so many funny moments - truely a classic!

oh yeah and whilst I think about it other films I've watched and very much enjoyed recently on DVD are 'Van Helsing' (didn't realise that there is a second film coming out soon) and 'The Fifth Element'
:)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:26 pm

According to the Times today Damien Lewis is in the running to play Bond when Daniel Craig decides to give up the roll. Well I reckon there are worse choices the producers could make.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:15 am

My son used to be obsessed with Thomas The Tank Engine. He has now turned his attention to planes. On that basis, he is as excited as a beaver that just moved into a new forest about seeing the imaginatively titled 'Planes' (it's just like 'Cars', except it's about....well, you get the picture) when it hits our cinemas in a week or so. That will be my next trip to the cinema. That is good, because a) it'll probably be fun spotting the adult humour slipped in to the film, and b) it gives me a great excuse to stuff my face with shit food for an hour or so.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby sarah t » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:43 am

Getting really excited and giving serious consideration to possibly going to see 'Robocop' when it comes out next month. The trailer looks very cool and good to see Michael Keaton and Samuel L Jackson in the cast...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234721/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Hope it lives up to the hype and gains good reviews!
sarah t

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:02 am

Saw the well-received "12 Years A Slave" tonight, based on a true story of freeman Solomon Northrup, who was kidnapped from his family and spent 12 years in abject cruelty. Had to avert my eyes in certain scenes, but it is a very fine film, and so well done. Definitely time well spent.
The Earth Smiles In Flowers - e.e. cummings
Sandrine 7557

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Sandrine 7557 wrote:Saw the well-received "12 Years A Slave" tonight, based on a true story of freeman Solomon Northrup, who was kidnapped from his family and spent 12 years in abject cruelty. Had to avert my eyes in certain scenes, but it is a very fine film, and so well done. Definitely time well spent.

People are just talking about this at the dentist's: "graphic", "horrific", "I wasn't the same afterwards", etc. Sounds like a must see if you have a strong stomach, personally I don't think it's my kind of film. It's not Pink Panther or James Bond.
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:07 pm

People are just talking about this at the dentist's: "graphic", "horrific", "I wasn't the same afterwards", etc. Sounds like a must see if you have a strong stomach, personally I don't think it's my kind of film. It's not Pink Panther or James Bond.[/quote]

True, it's graphic and horrific at times, but I view it (as much as I could look at before looking away) as bearing witness to a Truth; of bearing witness to something that was much more horrific experienced than was by just my viewing it. I see it as my willingness to personally validate the inhumanity that this individual lived, to learn the suffering that he eventually triumphed over. Hopefully no one would be the same after seeing this film. To imagine that it's simply a recounting of the beatings of a slave would be to grossly oversimplify a fine, complex film. No, it's not a filmed to be entertained by, but it's engrossing, uplifting, and moving. The packed audience was spellbound for its entirety.
Sandrine 7557

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:06 pm

I appreciate that some people might want to see this film to affirm their support against slavery, but I've read enough about man's inhumanity for one lifetime. And in any case I rarely go to the cinema these days.
SubHuman

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:40 pm

I myself wouldn't want to watch some history lesson either, but this is a thoughtful, complex, riveting film, and great films are not a dime a dozen, and this film is a gem--well-worth seeing.
Sandrine 7557

Postby sarah t » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Via Oxfam bookshop I came across the two season twentytwo episode/eleven disc DVD box set of 2005 HBO/BBC co-production 'Rome', not something I would have considered buying but taking the no risk 'borrowing' to evaluate whether I make a donation payment to keep it.

Four episodes in so far and finding it quite epic, great locations, costumes, actor/actress performances, movingly impressive incidental and title music and quite engrosing plot lines. However I weary of all the occasional killing and sex scenes that proliferate it. An impressive wealth of extras like the occasional text bubble option where a historian offers up further background information on certain aspects of the story. Haven't dipped into the many commentaries I liked the eleven minute mini doc on disc one.

Going to take a weekly double episode dip into this epic set on Thursday evenings with 5 & 6 next week but although generally enjoying it I suspect I'll be handing this back to the bookshop when I eventually have got through the entire vast content.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:13 pm

I will not be making any 'snap judgements' but thought episodes 5 & 6 were very boring (i.e. not much going on) compared with the preceeding four installments. I am sure this is merely a momentary blip as I've had a few brief glimpses of some of the content of the next four programs which seem better.

Being a big fan of classic BBC 1976 'I Claudius' (that is mighty fine DVD box set) this new series is certainly a far cry for that productions way of telling a Roman sage story.
:/
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:14 am

Watched 11 & 12 of the first season of Rome last night and I personally thought it a good move to watch the 'shot x shot - Gladiator' special feature first giving the behind the scenes details of the dramatic battle scene at the end of 11. For myself I wouldn't have wanted to see 11 'totally cold' as although excitingly dramatic and fast paced it is fairly gruesome (e.g. someone getting their head chopped off with the edge of a downwardly thrust shield). If blood and gore are your thing then episode first but I prefer to have the horrific edge softened by hearing how they filmed it.

Still feeling rather luke warm to this series but for me Season Two starts tomorrow evening with first couple of episodes on DVD
:/
sarah t

Postby Sandrine 7557 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Saw the sophisticated, erudite movie for literati, "22 Jump Street"........lol!.....silly, funny, some good laughs. I like Channing Tatum ♥ and Jonah Hill.
Sandrine 7557

Postby sarah t » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:15 am

Last Friday I dug out my videotaped copy of 60s fantasy film ‘Fantastic Journey’ which I thought still holds up quite well, dramatically suspenseful and exciting, a worthy forerunner to the similar 80s film ‘Inner Space’. I liked the bit where they pause in the ear canal to remove material from the air vents to reduce the submarines overheating engines whilst outside in the real world tensions at the continued delay shows on the medical staff leading to the accidental dropping of surgical instrument on the hard floor with disastrous effect on our miniaturised heroes. Marvellous sinister performance from Donald Pleasance as the shady double agent character who ultimately gets his comeuppance but there is only one aspect that disappoints. Yeah I know they manage to reach the damaged area they were heading to and it seemed that they were able to laser away the wound but it would have been good if the film could had shown the patient making a full recovery as well as our heroes escaping via the tear duct and safely returning to full size. I was pleasantly surprised to come across a two disc ‘special edition’ of Van Helsing recently at the Oxfam bookshop, a great fun film in its own right but I do enjoy additional special feature items giving more detail in the making of movies that I enjoy. Surprised that it has taken me so long but finally laid my hands on a brand new DVD copy of classic British comedy film ‘I’m All Right Jack’ via Amazon featuring an impressive cast list of familiar faces lead by Peter Sellers whom in my opinion so brilliantly portrays trade union leader Fred Kite. Although best known for the Pink Panther films it is worth remembering the comic genius of Sellers in British films like this and the classic ‘The Wrong Arm of The Law’ where he so memorably excels.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:39 pm

I came across a DVD copy of the 2013 blockbuster film ‘Oblivion’ this week at the Oxfam bookshop and watching it last night was highly impressed with such an enjoyable dramatic exciting two hours of visual entertainment that this film provided. I’d like to say the following…

The establishing highly detailed narrative of a bitter war against an alien aggressor has left an extremely bleak post-apocalyptic dystopia scenario and a fairly simplistic ‘tour of duty’ scenario for Jack (played by Tom Cruise) and his ‘controller/observer’ colleague. Despite an initial fairly routine antiseptic temporary existence for Jack and his colleague the film satisfyingly shifts into high gear when against advice Jack sets down at the scene of a crashed spaceship and amongst the wreckage rescues one of the few escape pods not to be destroyed by the repair droids. Credit must be due to these flying machines with their awesomely powerful firepower particularly in the latter stages of the film in the final gun battle at the Earth survivors base. The films tagline of ‘Earth is a memory worth fighting for’ directly relates to Jack’s interaction with his co-worker but more particularly with the revived woman survivor particularly in the exterior pre war setting where a homing signal to the aliens is being transmitted as recollections of his pre-war existence start to somehow begin to break through. I thought it quite bizarre that somehow the very upper portion of the New York Empire State Building complete with viewing platform and a single lone sightseeing tourist binocular device remained in a landscape so totally ravaged and destroyed by the war but this was in keeping with other post-apocalyptic movies (the end of the original ‘Planet of the Apes’ springs to mind). I love the many surprising plot twists and turns in a satisfying narrative that demands full attention and rewards with such a refreshingly unique exciting, dramatic and engagingly impressive movie played with the right measure of overriding seriousness. However there are occasional lighter (the little ‘rocking head’ puppet resting in front of him as he sits in his flying craft) and tender moments (past memories resurface as he talks with the revived woman survivor at the Empire State building observation deck) during the two hours. Despite the bleakness of his assignment it was pleasantly surprising to find Jack occasionally diverting to the restful unique lush green woodland setting close to the radiation zone. It is here at his log cabin he checks on his trout, shoots some basketball and plays a record whilst glancing over his limited book collection. Nice to see, in this future, that whilst selecting a suitable piece of vinyl that his collection contains a title from Duran Duran… eighties music lives forever! Praise is also due for actor Morgan Freeman’s memorable contribution as the Earth survivors base leader benefiting greatly by his costume and wrap around dark glasses. Constantly surprising with Jack placed in mortal peril throughout and many plot developments, including a duplicate of the films lead character in the latter stages (where did he come from and what was that all about?) this is a marvellously entertaining, thought provoking, intellectually challenging movie beautifully shot, well directed and with great incidental music (particularly the closing credits theme song) that if you get the chance is definitely worth checking out!
=D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:00 am

A bit off the thread but apparently it's the 120th birthday of cinema today, as reported by EuroNews:

http://www.euronews.com/2015/03/19/cine ... -birthday/

Moving pictures had been demonstrated before this but the Lumiere Brothers short film "Workers leaving the Lumiere factory" is consider to be the first motion picture.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Movie trailers, don't you just love them! =D

Here are three I've come across for films that I am getting quite excited about and would like to see either on the big screen or eventually on DVD or Blu-ray...

Firstly 007 returns... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLzErPYUb-8

Next I think one of the best action film competitors this year... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIsauUFIguE

...and lastly this looks like an impressive reboot... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POBI7OhGB18
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:18 am

I think this is an impressive new trailer that I thought I'd bring to you guys attention...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTDaET-JweU
=D
sarah t

Postby Spiritinthesky » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:42 am

Just watched Saving Mr. Banks which I've been putting off for a while, but really enjoyed it. Emma Thompson is brilliant as iS Tom Hanks as filmmaker Walt Disney.
Spiritinthesky

Postby sarah t » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Great surprise at Portswood Sainsbury's yesterday... 'Galaxy Quest' on Blu-Ray for only £6. IMO a fun sci-fi comedy with a great cast and a enjoyable plot and I thought it great to hear the background story of the making of the movie in the Blu-Ray only special features (I guess about an hours worth). There is also an information track where you can access info about aspects of the film (people, props etc) whilst you are watching the movie.

I've had my Blu-Ray home cinema for about a year now but have so far only picked up four titles (this one included) but 'Galaxy Quest' is definitely worth adding if you haven't got it.
=D
sarah t

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion