THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Forum announcements, info and help, members' gallery, ideas etc

Postby sarah t » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:21 am

Just curious what is the life expectancy of threads?

I've noticed old threads in the General Discussion area like for example 'Merry Christmas' and some that have never got or likely to get a reply are still knocking around.

Do they ever get deleted?
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2847
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Postby JJ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:56 pm

No threads get deleted unless it's for "abuse" reasons. As far as I'm aware, space isn't an issue at this time. If it became one, then the answer might be different.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Postby Afront » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:18 am

Maybe time for a forum core update? Ideally to something that has a few buttons when composing a post (bold, link, add image etc.) - something like the Northern Kind forum, for example: http://northernkind.forumotion.net
User avatar
Afront
Member
 
Posts: 753
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Postby JJ » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:14 am

There is an update coming, Afront.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Postby Afront » Sun May 09, 2010 10:55 am

Been having loads of problems posting this weekend - every time I try to include any kind of link or image I get an error message.

How's the update coming?
User avatar
Afront
Member
 
Posts: 753
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Postby cs15 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:24 am

Me too. Can't post any links.
If you were a diamond, I wouldn't want you now.
User avatar
cs15
Member
 
Posts: 3915
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Postby JJ » Sun May 09, 2010 8:52 pm

Afront wrote:Been having loads of problems posting this weekend - every time I try to include any kind of link or image I get an error message.

How's the update coming?

Only EmpireStateHuman can answer that, I'm afraid.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Postby One Man » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:44 pm

Just as the forum is going to undergo a revamp, I worked out how to set the clock so that the posts appear as posted at the correct time. In your profile change the time zone to +6hrs - hurrah. That's if your in the UK of course. If you're not then I'm sure you can work it out. Everyone probably did that years ago but I'm slow off the mark.
9/10
One Man
Member
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 3:05 pm
Location: London

Postby sarah t » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:22 pm

One Man wrote:Just as the forum is going to undergo a revamp, I worked out how to set the clock so that the posts appear as posted at the correct time. In your profile change the time zone to +6hrs - hurrah. That's if your in the UK of course. If you're not then I'm sure you can work it out. Everyone probably did that years ago but I'm slow off the mark.

Well actually I wasn't aware of that, thanks very much for the info, even though it will probably be short lived... ;)
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2847
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:19 am

I know this is a bit late, it's just that when the forum was down recently I was thinking about how to resurrect it if all else failed. Well, it occurred to me that it might not be a bad idea to have a forum covering synth-pop and dance, rather than just one whose title was the human league forum? After all we don't just cover the League here, and for every band covered you could have sections on current chat, live, media coverage and so forth. This would give a better balance to a forum and might garner more hits. Does anyone else have a view on this idea? :cool:
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3425
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby Pauline » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:11 am

But, this is the Human League forum. I'm sure there are synthpop and dance forums out there.
Pauline
Member
 
Posts: 2710
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:32 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby Murfy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:43 pm

There is also the original "back-up" forum http://humanleague.yuku.com/ which used to be ezboard.

But I'm guessing that is so long since we needed it that no-one remembers their name/password or has a link saved for it. I had to search for it when this forum went down for its recent upgrade.

The spambots seem to have kept it company in our absence tho :)
Murfy
Member
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:11 am
Location: Coventry

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Murfy wrote:There is also the original "back-up" forum http://humanleague.yuku.com/ which used to be ezboard.

But I'm guessing that is so long since we needed it that no-one remembers their name/password or has a link saved for it. I had to search for it when this forum went down for its recent upgrade.

The spambots seem to have kept it company in our absence tho :)


The old forum can't be used as it's locked. I had to use facebook to alert people to what was/wasn't happening as I didn't have any usable email addresses for the mods or admin.

Pauline, yes I know, it's just that this forum isn't getting as many hits as it used to for some reason. However, I'm under no illusion about how difficult it might be to get a new forum up and running from scratch. Plus a more general forum might attract some of the fruit cakes who have infected other fora and message boards.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3425
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby sarah t » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:26 am

Still a bit baffled that the logging off option above Phil's head is absent when accessing the forum whilst at various Southampton libraries. I'm actually at the forum much less than I actually appear to be at the moment.

Not really a problem merely a comment I think...
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2847
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:32 am

Sarah, I never log off unless by accident, it saves the hassle of having to log on every time I visit and decide to post.

The forum software knows you're not here if your not active and your not shown as being present.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3425
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby sarah t » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:13 am

Southampton libraries have done something recently because I have all the options at the top above our three showing 'user control panel', 'new messages', 'view your posts' and 'login/logout' options.
:)
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2847
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby SubHuman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:29 pm

sarah t wrote:Southampton libraries have done something recently because I have all the options at the top above our three showing 'user control panel', 'new messages', 'view your posts' and 'login/logout' options.
:)


This was never an issue with me. I still think it's worth staying permanently logged on.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3425
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby Danny C » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:34 pm

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:Southampton libraries have done something recently because I have all the options at the top above our three showing 'user control panel', 'new messages', 'view your posts' and 'login/logout' options.
:)


This was never an issue with me. I still think it's worth staying permanently logged on.


This is obviously a terrible idea if, like Sarah, you are using a public computer.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C
Member
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 7:12 am
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby SubHuman » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Danny C wrote:
SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:Southampton libraries have done something recently because I have all the options at the top above our three showing 'user control panel', 'new messages', 'view your posts' and 'login/logout' options.
:)


This was never an issue with me. I still think it's worth staying permanently logged on.


This is obviously a terrible idea if, like Sarah, you are using a public computer.


Oh yes, doh!
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3425
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby sarah t » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:30 pm

Just looking at the 'General Discussions' threads in both the General Discussion and Music threads and was wondering should we have them regularly segmented like the monthly thread in Human League news, perhaps on something like a monthly or three monthly basis, with them called 'General Discussion, Part One, Part Two etc??? Only thought about this because of the number of pages they are now, especially if you want to scroll back and look at earlier comments...
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2847
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby SubHuman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:45 am

sarah t wrote:Just looking at the 'General Discussions' threads in both the General Discussion and Music threads and was wondering should we have them regularly segmented like the monthly thread in Human League news, perhaps on something like a monthly or three monthly basis, with them called 'General Discussion, Part One, Part Two etc??? Only thought about this because of the number of pages they are now, especially if you want to scroll back and look at earlier comments...


A good idea Sarah, but is anyone listening?
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3425
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby JJ » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:32 am

I'm "listening" but disagree. You'd never know which thread to look in, and having one thread - however long - means there is only one to look through / search in.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby Stig Olsen » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:57 am

JJ wrote:I'm "listening" but disagree. You'd never know which thread to look in, and having one thread - however long - means there is only one to look through / search in.
what he said.
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
User avatar
Stig Olsen
Member
 
Posts: 2960
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby sarah t » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:20 am

Just been looking through the threads in the Music section to see if there is one for a band I'm likely to be talking about in 2016. Couldn't see one but did notice at two threads for Japan and two threads for Marc Almond. I presume as space isn't an issue this does not matter but do they usually get merged. Just out of interest is there a simple function for moderators to do this?
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2847
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Postby JJ » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:17 pm

Yes, threads can be merged.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

PreviousNext

Return to Forum / Members Area

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron