THE FORUM - Comments, suggestions etc

Forum announcements, info and help, members' gallery, ideas etc

Postby decophile » Fri May 25, 2007 9:16 pm

cs15 wrote:Can I mail you all my Boy George ones too Stig???????? :)

Me too!! I'm having same problems...
decophile

Postby Stig Olsen » Sat May 26, 2007 3:25 pm

yeah, just mail it....I may alter the BG pictures, though :D

btw, you can edit your posts on the old ezboard - hours of fun awaits in trying to locate it... :lol:
Last edited by Stig Olsen on Sat May 26, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby Danny C » Sat May 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Copying what I wrote in the other thread...

===

Largely an improvement, although some things still irk. In the absence of a feedback forum (every message board should have one):

1) Fixed width posts. Just no. Posts should size to window. Now I have bloody great gaps on either side. This is the year 2007; 1280 x 1024 resolutions are the norm, not the exception, so it won't just be me who has this problem, and these fixed-width posts can't be much wider than 720 pixels. If you must have a fixed-width make it as wide as the header at the top. But that brings me on to...

2) The "Latest images from blah" box to the left. Necessary? No. Irritating? Hell yes. It is not a good use of space. Junk it and shift the messages to the left.

3) When composing messages, it'd be nice to have something more than just a text box. I'm thinking buttons that automatically insert tags (bold, italic, quote etc) should be the bare minimum here - even EZboard had those.

On the plus side, the colour scheme is good, the forum header is as simple and uncluttered as the rest of it should be, and when the more obnoxious avatars and signatures start to appear, the option to turn these off will be very welcome.

With a few tweaks this could really be quite good.

===
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby Danny C » Sat May 26, 2007 4:37 pm

Stig Olsen wrote:One small issue - I don't understand why animated avatars aren't allowed - I know it's possible, but not above 10KB, which is the same as "not possible".

10K and 60 x 60 pixels is more than enough for you to express your "individuality".

I applaud the managament's decision to limit the size of them in this way, and would advise them in the strongest possible terms that linking to off-site avatars is asking for trouble.
Danny C

Postby Stig Olsen » Sat May 26, 2007 5:21 pm

Danny C wrote:10K and 60 x 60 pixels is more than enough for you to express your "individuality"

true, but that's not the issue - the issue is that people should decide on their own what they want to display.

Danny C wrote:I applaud the managament's decision to limit the size of them in this way, and would advise them in the strongest possible terms that linking to off-site avatars is asking for trouble.

why? because you still think it affects the speed of the board? well it didn't on the previous board and it doesn't on this!
Stig Olsen

Postby Danny C » Sat May 26, 2007 5:42 pm

Stig Olsen wrote:true, but that's not the issue - the issue is that people should decide on their own what they want to display.

Oh really, I thought it was up to the people who ran the board how their website looked.

Danny C wrote:why? because you still think it affects the speed of the board? well it didn't on the previous board and it doesn't on this!

First off, I never thought it "slowed down" the board, just the loading of the page.

I am against large avatars because they are entirely pointless. We know who you are. and we know you like Human League, so why you need a 1.5MB animated gif to tell us this is a mystery.

The problem with most avatars in general is that they are irretrievably shit. At least if they are limited in size you can ignore them.

The forum looks nice and tidy as it is. Let's not clutter the place up with stupid nonsense, eh?
Danny C

Postby Stig Olsen » Sat May 26, 2007 6:13 pm

Danny C wrote:Oh really, I thought it was up to the people who ran the board how their website looked.

Yup, you're right - and as PunBB is Open Source and you can tweak it any which way you want - it's possible to have a 900 x 900 pixel animated avatar on 90 MB, if that's decided. I think we all eventually will pay for the board, so it's our board.

Danny C wrote:First off, I never thought it "slowed down" the board, just the loading of the page.

not so - as stated both on this and the previous board - the board loads whether or not the image is loaded!! I'll try simplify it - board first - images afterwards!!!

Danny C wrote:I am against large avatars because they are entirely pointless. We know who you are. and we know you like Human League, so why you need a 1.5MB animated gif to tell us this is a mystery.

pointless to you maybe, harmless to most people - besides - we're talking 50K, but I see you need to strongend your arguments, seeing that the only point you have, is that you dislike them. As of tidyness - the animated gifs don't expand outside the 60x60 pixels, what are you afraid off - they gonna attack you?

Anyway - I can live with the restrictions - not really an issue, other than I will defend them against poor arguments as "I don't like them" and the "board reload" technical issue, which have been a wrong arguments on more than a few occasions.

What happend with the bouncy boobs, Daniel? I kind of liked that avatar of yours not long ago - you suddenly grew up and decided to be boring? ;)
Last edited by Stig Olsen on Sat May 26, 2007 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stig Olsen

Postby decophile » Sat May 26, 2007 6:21 pm

I think the avatars could be larger than they are now without overwhelming the page. And for people who don't like avatars any larger, seems to me they could not have one at all or do a smaller one.
decophile

Postby JJ » Sat May 26, 2007 6:53 pm

Danny C wrote:3) When composing messages, it'd be nice to have something more than just a text box. I'm thinking buttons that automatically insert tags (bold, italic, quote etc) should be the bare minimum here - even EZboard had those.

I agree it would be good to have those. I mentioned it to Matt when I was doing the testing on the forum, so he is aware of it.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby Boiled Being » Mon May 28, 2007 10:34 am

Why are you pulling tongues as us BHG?? :)
JAM! . . . . You've gotta get some!
Boiled Being

Postby Pauline » Mon May 28, 2007 12:00 pm

Coz i CAN !! :P :P :P
...more firey than the sun...
Pauline

Postby Electric Dream » Mon May 28, 2007 1:02 pm

I think the small avatars look better - the board looks neater. I had a look at the OMD forum after I'd seen them live and the avatars on there range from the wee ones we have to absolutley massive ones, making the board look really messy. They also have a lot of massive pics on their signatures which I'm not a fan of either - I noticed on here that you can turn sig pics off in your profile settings :)
Electric Dream

Postby Stig Olsen » Mon May 28, 2007 8:21 pm

A suggestions for a nice addition to the board: Easy Polls
Stig Olsen

Postby mikeypblueremix » Wed May 30, 2007 10:18 am

Thought of this the other day in the shower (where I get all my good ideas) - how about a review section in the non-HL section, where the forum members can write a short review of an album of their choice?

Whenever I go onto Amazon to see what an album is like before I decided to purchase, I check the reviews, and quite frankly they are rubbish - most of them consist of 'This is the bestest album ever' type comments, and don't actually say what the music is like - I want to know what the thing sounds like, not some rubbish about how sexy the lead singer is!

Anyway, there's a wide range of members on here with no doubt a wide range of musical tastes, and it would be good to have people saying a little bit about an album of their choice that might just make the rest of us go out and buy that album.

Other than that, I'm liking the new board a lot :)
Mikey P - bringing everything down to his level since November 2006 :P
mikeypblueremix

Postby grace » Thu May 31, 2007 7:56 am

Id be far too embarassed to reveal my record collection....
grace

Postby mikeypblueremix » Thu May 31, 2007 11:02 am

But the thing is, someone here might read a review and think 'That sounds like something I'd enjoy' and go buy it - job done!

I used to have a Kim Wilde album - that was quite embarrassing (in fact, I had two :O )
mikeypblueremix

Postby grace » Thu May 31, 2007 12:41 pm

Iv got Adam and the Ants(just the records not the band) (still love them as well)
grace

Postby cs15 » Thu May 31, 2007 1:10 pm

Nothing to be ashamed of there Grace. Still fantastic records today.
If you were a diamond, I wouldn't want you now.
cs15

Postby Pauline » Thu May 31, 2007 1:28 pm

Kim Wilde is FAB !!! Saw her live on a few Here & Now tours, she always went down the best with the crowd, even when not headlining. I listen to her hits CD quite a lot :cool:
...more firey than the sun...
Pauline

Postby mikeypblueremix » Thu May 31, 2007 4:24 pm

Actually, the album had three versions of 'Say You Really Want Me' on it, which is a damn fine bit of tuneage.
mikeypblueremix

Postby Psychotroniclovecommando » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:34 am

Pauline wrote:she always went down the best with the crowd

No wonder she was popular then, ahem.
I'm The Sex Fuhrer Baby I'm A Love Dictator
You're A Disco Reptile A Funky Alligator
Psychotroniclovecommando

Postby grace » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:26 am

cs15 wrote:Nothing to be ashamed of there Grace. Still fantastic records today.

Erm... and Im still a memeber of the Fan Club....(20 odd years on)....
grace

Postby JJ » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:14 pm

mikeypblueremix wrote:Thought of this the other day in the shower (where I get all my good ideas) - how about a review section in the non-HL section, where the forum members can write a short review of an album of their choice?

Just do that in the Music part of the general area.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby Andy MGE » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:52 pm

The PM file space per user on this forum is far too small.

In my case 9 PMs (text string of no more than 25 bytes) and my Box was 95 % full. (Hey I'm popular!!) With only 79 members I can't see bandwith being an issue here?
Andy MGE

Postby sarah t » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:43 am

grace wrote:Iv got Adam and the Ants(just the records not the band) (still love them as well)

Indeed nothing wrong with a bit of 'Antmusic', I myself have the complete 'Ant Remastered' seven CD box set, an essential purchase a couple of years ago!
sarah t

PreviousNext

Return to Forum / Members Area