Computer/Internet related subjects

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Postby cs15 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:12 pm

HELP!!!

Computer crashed. Lost everything. Got a new laptop. How the hell can I transfer all my music from my iphone to the new computer without wiping it? There are loads of sites about this but has anyone here actually done this and managed to do so successfully? And which site would you recommend?
If you were a diamond, I wouldn't want you now.
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:47 pm

Sorry I always back up my iTunes library onto cd-roms from time to time as recommended.

Are you sure your library hasn't been automatically backup on to the icloud?
SubHuman

Postby cs15 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:33 am

No. Definitely not. :(
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:52 am

c15, you will, I think, have to transfer tracks from cds again. According to My Iphone tracks purchased from ITunes will have to be repurchased, however the copy I have of My Iphone is several years old. Why don't you email Apple for advice?

Just had a thought, it might be possible to recover files from your old hard-drive, you'll have to take it to someone who repairs computers. Even if the drive is partially damage if it will spin up and the read head works some data files may be recoverable.
Last edited by SubHuman on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:56 pm

c15 how did you getting recovering your ITunes files to your new laptop?
SubHuman

Postby cs15 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:24 pm

Haven't had the balls to try and do it yet. 90% of it I have on cd but it's a pain in the ass to rip it all again. The other 10% is what I'm worried about - all the League mixes from sites etc. *sigh*
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:52 am

cs15 wrote:Haven't had the balls to try and do it yet. 90% of it I have on cd but it's a pain in the ass to rip it all again. The other 10% is what I'm worried about - all the League mixes from sites etc. *sigh*

Don't worry, those of us who have the said league mixes should be able to convert them from ITunes to open MP3 format and send them to you, if all else fails. Isn't there an app that will backload from your Iphone to the ITunes software on your new laptop. I'm assuming you have download ITunes?
SubHuman

Re: Computer/Internet related subjects

Postby SubHuman » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:51 am

Crumbs no one has posted on this topic for over a year! It used to get posts fairly regularly, are we all geeks now? Anyhow I've a new machine with Windows 8 installed, well it's sort of okay, but has the annoying habit of re-sizing the screen occasionally as you move the cursor across it. Does any one have a clue about how to turn this "feature" off? The Windows 8 manual has been no help so far.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:03 am

Help old machine has crashed and I can't get ITunes to reinstall my music library from the icloud, does anyone know how to do this, ITunes Help isn't much use.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:49 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm having internet connection problems at the mo, so if anyone tries to get in touch I may be a little slow in replying.
SubHuman

Postby Electric Dream » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:11 am

Hello IT people :)
I got a new laptop from santa but there are a LOT of pop ups, adverts and whole new internet pages springing up out of nowhere, and I wondered if any techy geeks could help me with it? I have installed ad block plus and a pop up blocker, plus when I look into the settings on it, everything (firewall, spam etc) settings are all set properly. It came with McAfee Livesafe installed.

For example, when I look at this forum on the laptop, there are adverts EVERYWHERE!!! At the top of pages and inbetween all the posts. A pop up comes up saying something like "hello Electric Dream, this is a survey from the THL forum" and it knows I am using Talk Talk as my service provider (I haven't clicked on it, just deleted it straight away).
After installing ad block plus, I still get that pop up and the adverts are still there, but they are blank!

I was thinking of just restoring to factory setting and trying again, this time using the McAfee disc I haven't rather than the installed version - any idea if that will help? I haven't used it much so far, so not worried about losing everything. I don't want to transfer all my stuff from my PC over to it until this problem is fixed though. Any help greatly appreciated :)
Electric Dream

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:20 pm

Electric Dream wrote:Hello IT people :)
I got a new laptop from santa but there are a LOT of pop ups, adverts and whole new internet pages springing up out of nowhere, and I wondered if any techy geeks could help me with it? I have installed ad block plus and a pop up blocker, plus when I look into the settings on it, everything (firewall, spam etc) settings are all set properly. It came with McAfee Livesafe installed.

For example, when I look at this forum on the laptop, there are adverts EVERYWHERE!!! At the top of pages and inbetween all the posts. A pop up comes up saying something like "hello Electric Dream, this is a survey from the THL forum" and it knows I am using Talk Talk as my service provider (I haven't clicked on it, just deleted it straight away).
After installing ad block plus, I still get that pop up and the adverts are still there, but they are blank!

I was thinking of just restoring to factory setting and trying again, this time using the McAfee disc I haven't rather than the installed version - any idea if that will help? I haven't used it much so far, so not worried about losing everything. I don't want to transfer all my stuff from my PC over to it until this problem is fixed though. Any help greatly appreciated :)

I assume that Windows 8 is installed, look no further for your problems as it comes with all manner of features you don't want! I'm told that these annoying features can be turned off but I haven't found out how yet. I'm lazily using my old machine with Windows 7 most of the time until I get it sorted. I'll let you know how if I manage to suss it out.
SubHuman

Postby Electric Dream » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:36 pm

Electric Dream

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:52 pm

Electric Dream wrote:Possibly this - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windo ... windows-8/

Does this mean your new laptop had a virus that you have now removed using Defender?
SubHuman

Postby Electric Dream » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:06 pm

No, I thought that might be what you were looking for.
Electric Dream

Postby Pauline » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:59 pm

I have windows 8 on my new Laptop, and it's easily ignored and didn't cause me any problems.

Tracy - it really sounds like a virus. I would restore to factory settings and try again. Are you 100% sure that it isn't 2nd hand??! (well, refurbed?)
Pauline

Postby Electric Dream » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:14 pm

No, it's definitely new
Electric Dream

Postby cs15 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:42 pm

I've Windows 8 and have no problems with it or pop ups etc. I had a similar issue on my previous laptop (Windows 7) and was told it was a Trojan virus. Be careful not to use online banking etc until you know what it is. I restored mine to factory settings and had no further issues. Are the ads for things that you've looking at on the web or just random stuff? I'd do as Pauline said and it restore it to factory settings just to be safe.
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:22 am

cs15 wrote:I've Windows 8 and have no problems with it or pop ups etc. I had a similar issue on my previous laptop (Windows 7) and was told it was a Trojan virus. Be careful not to use online banking etc until you know what it is. I restored mine to factory settings and had no further issues. Are the ads for things that you've looking at on the web or just random stuff? I'd do as Pauline said and it restore it to factory settings just to be safe.

Ditto sounds like a virus. I don't get ads popping up just Windows 8 features I'm not asking for as I scroll across the screen, using a proper mouse eliminates most of this.
SubHuman

Postby Electric Dream » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:07 am

cs15 wrote:I've Windows 8 and have no problems with it or pop ups etc. I had a similar issue on my previous laptop (Windows 7) and was told it was a Trojan virus. Be careful not to use online banking etc until you know what it is. I restored mine to factory settings and had no further issues. Are the ads for things that you've looking at on the web or just random stuff? I'd do as Pauline said and it restore it to factory settings just to be safe.

Aye, I haven't used it much so far - haven't done any online banking etc. I'm restoring to factory settings now. Fingers crossed that helps!
Electric Dream

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:38 pm

Sounds like the right move E.D.
SubHuman

Postby Electric Dream » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:43 pm

Seems to be OK so far :) Before I even went online or anything, I checked all the settings. Seems the McAfee thing that comes with it had the firewall switched off so perhaps that's what caused the problem in the first place. Fingers crossed it behaves now.....
Electric Dream

Postby cs15 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:13 pm

Just stop visiting those naughty websites and you'll be fine. :lol:
cs15

Postby Electric Dream » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:21 pm

*whistles innocently*
Electric Dream

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:17 pm

The TalkTalk website is down at the moment "technical issues", there were a few days when it went increasingly slower and finally stopped doing anything yesterday. So I don't have a functioning email account at this time, perhaps I should look at Gmail or Hotmail? Any advice would be welcome.
SubHuman

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion