Doctor Who

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: Doctor Who

Postby sarah t » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:10 pm

Thought it worth mentioning that... drum roll please, the final complete classic series Doctor Who story is about to be released on DVD and it is I think considered to be one of the best offered up.

Thirteenth season opener 'Terror of the Zygons' finds Tom Baker's Doctor, Sarah, Harry and the Brigadier in fine form with excellent and memorable supporting cast in a (supposedly) largely Scotland based story (actually you've got some filming in a Sussex village). The main thing I'm particularly getting excited about is the unexpected 5.1 Sound mix that incidental music expert Mark Ayres has conjured up. I get the impression that most forum members still have a fondness for the fourth Doctor so I'm sure this slice of 70s sci fi will go down well, remember the 'B' side to 'Boys and Girls'...
:)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:24 am

I really couldn't believe the news when I switched on the radio this morning, in fact for a good few hours afterwards I occasionally said out loud 'Nine episodes!?' in total disbelief but out of nowhere, from Nigeria in Africa we've got some more classic Patrick Troughton which for such a long time were thought wiped, lost for ever...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24467337

Fascinating interview with Philip Morris about how they came about and liked the talk with Frazer and Deborah. Seems quite a coincidence that just a couple of weeks ago I pulled out my complete soundtrack double CD to listen to and was very impressed with 'The Enemy of the World'. I for one would certainly be keen to grab both stories on DVD which would I guess be out in 2014.

a very happy fan!
=D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:21 am

I heard about the find from the BBC News channel. I'm excited about this as Patrick Troughton was one of my favourite Doctors. I'm hoping that for the fiftieth anniversary, as well as the new programmes, they repeat a lot of the oldest programmes on BBC 3 or 4.
SubHuman

Postby ToyotaCityBoy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:57 pm

*** 50th anniversary spoiler, possibly ***

Kind of surprised to learn that one of the characters in the big special is one that was created for a low-budget fan-made straight-to-video effort that had nothing to do with the BBC ("Downtime").

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-day-of-the-doctor-photos-revealed/#/2

Oh well, it's the Brigadier's daughter, so no problem with that. At least it's not John and Gillian from the 1960s comic strips. :D
ToyotaCityBoy

Postby sarah t » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:00 pm

ToyotaCityBoy wrote:*** 50th anniversary spoiler, possibly ***

Kind of surprised to learn that one of the characters in the big special is one that was created for a low-budget fan-made straight-to-video effort that had nothing to do with the BBC ("Downtime").

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-day-of-the-doctor-photos-revealed/#/2

Oh well, it's the Brigadier's daughter, so no problem with that. At least it's not John and Gillian from the 1960s comic strips. :D

well spotted and thanks for that... however with regards to 'the Brigadier's daughter' the character in question did officially guest star in the series, as mentioned in the article, in last years 'Power of Three' episode... one I thought was really quite good
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:41 am

So a pole by the BBC has David Tennant as the nation's favourite Doctor with Billie Piper as the favourite companion, who would have thought it? My favourites are: as the Doctor Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen as companion Sarah Jane Smith.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:37 pm

SubHuman wrote:So a pole by the BBC has David Tennant as the nation's favourite Doctor with Billie Piper as the favourite companion, who would have thought it? My favourites are: as the Doctor Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen as companion Sarah Jane Smith.

Guess it is a good thing that Tennant and Piper will be guest starring in 50th anniversary special 'The Day of the Doctor' on BBC1 on Saturday 23rd November 2013
;)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Well the day is finally here, can't believe it is fifty years ago that episode one of 'An Unearthly Child' was shown... and the rest as they say is history. We've got the big special 'Day of the Doctor' tonight on BBC1, err but I can't see it live but I've got a mate who is video taping it for me (he says the tape also features the 90 min "Adventures In Time And Space" shown on BBC2 on Thursday 21st November) so hopefully by the end of next week I will have seen it. Will definitely be nabbing a copy of the DVD when it comes out w/c 2nd December, I'm sure it will be a great cheap price from ASDA.

How have I been marking this day? Well before coming to the library to type this I fished out my DVD of third story 'Edge of Destruction' from that first season with the original four regulars lineup and as well as watching this two part story from 1964 also had a look at the 55min 'Origins' and 10min 'Inside the Spaceship' features on this 2006 disc, released as part of the three disc 'The Beginning' box set. Something pleasing in the post makes today even better for me, that of four CD reading of classic Target story book 'The Rescue'. I don't really go much on these titles, don't want to clog my flat up with CD's I'll rarely play, although being highly selective careful selection has led me to get what I consider as some of the very best (currently other titles I have are 'Fury From The Deep', both Dalek Masterplan titles, 'The Twin Dilemma' and 'Ghost Light') out of the vast array coming out. I definitely think that 'The Rescue' fits my high standards when considering which to add to my collection, the late Ian Marter (formerly Harry Sullivan to Tom Baker's Doctor) at his writing best!

Many happy returns to Doctor Who on the time lords 50th!!! =D
sarah t

Postby cs15 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:40 pm

Managed to watch 20 minutes before turning it off. Dire. In the words of Catherine Tate's Nan - 'what a load of old shit'. Truly awful stuff. :O
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:14 am

cs15 wrote:Managed to watch 20 minutes before turning it off. Dire. In the words of Catherine Tate's Nan - 'what a load of old shit'. Truly awful stuff. :O

Oh dear I had hoped for something better, not that I've watched it yet, I thought that An Adventure in Space and Time was pretty well done. It doesn't augur well for the new series.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:00 pm

Well I tried to watch Day of the Doctor and lasted about ten minutes, if it hadn't been for the Tardis and occasional references to "The Doctor" I wouldn't have recognised it as an episode of Dr Who. It could have been any fifth rate action movie made for television. Bring back Peter Davison and a good script writer.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:48 am

Very grateful to my good friend Andrew whom yesterday gave me a video tape containing 'An Adventure in Space and Time', 'Day of the Doctor' and another 50th anniversary special.

I watched the first and found it genuinely moving, loved the way primarily Verity and also director Warris fought so hard tomake Doctor Who work. Great scene with Verity defending the introduction of the Daleks with Sydney Newman. Liked the cast photos infront of Television Centre with changing lineup alongside Hartnell, great performance from the actor portraying Bill. Good cameo by the actor portraying Patrick Troughton and pleased with the momentary inclusion of Matt Smith. A heartwarmingly moving and emotional 83 mins of television that I enjoyed very much.

I should see the rest of the video tape on Friday evening
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:34 pm

Forgive me if this seems rather long winded but I felt a robust fairly comprehensive defence of “The Day of the Doctor” is called for.

Having yesterday evening watched the special I can now see why certain people might be dismissive of the fiftieth anniversary story “The Day of the Doctor” from those opening ten minutes. This is not the cosy aspect of Gallifrey that the classic series served up (in stories like “The Five Doctors” and “Arc of Infinity”) and I also was initially a bit disappointed by the stark cold unfamiliar settings of a battle scarred planet. However my advice is please don’t be put off by this cinema style big budget special effects laden vista and try to stick with it. For modern day Doctor Who however clues about how the Time Lord planet would be realised in the new series have been clearly signposted in “The Sound of Drums”/”The Last of the Time Lords’ at the end of the David Tennant Season Three. This is not the familiar celebratory offering I was expecting and although feeling it is, for the most part, rather wordy and slow moving I thought it was an impressively satisfying narrative from Steven Moffat where we finally cover the long running issue of the Time War (stretching back to 2005’s “Rose”) and the trauma and guilt that the Doctor has carried all that time.

We’ve always known that David Tennant’s Doctor was always a terrible flirt so I thought it was a good introduction to have him picnicking and kissing Queen Elisabeth I and I thought he subsequently interacted well with Matt Smith (e.g. comparing sonic screwdrivers and wearing glasses). Having Clara initially working at Coal Hill School plus later the pictures posted on the notice board in the underground vault of UNIT’s Tower of London base (good choice for centre of operations) and the long multi-coloured woolly scarf worn by a white coated technician were all pleasing nods to the past. I liked the return of the Zygons although their transformation into their intended victims I felt wasn’t as effective as it was in their original 1975 story. I thought it was priceless and essential that the senior actor Tom Baker would gain a brief cameo with current incarnation Matt Smith. I believe it was a brilliant decision to cast him as the plain clothed mysterious curator, not leaving it so obvious that he may be a past incarnation of the Doctor. I would also like to praise the three dimensional painting concept used to great effect to convey the Time War situation on Gallifrey and stimulating memories of that time in Matt Smith’s Doctor. So Billie Piper returned giving a suitably spooky unsettling performance but we now know that it was merely a computer simulation and although pleasing to feature an actor of John Hurt’s stature guest starring I don’t particularly like the idea of a ‘missing incarnation’. Please excuse the SPOILERS but I liked the saving of Gallifrey by all incarnations of the Doctor with their images at the controls of their respective TARDIS’s shown in the control room. Personally I’ve never much cared for the tag ‘last of the time lords’ for the Doctor so although his home planet is now lost the Doctor is no longer responsible for destroying his entire race and this story has erased that pain and guilt he previously felt by now being his people’s saviour. I welcome the chance, however slight and unlikely it might be, that he might, at some point in the future, meet other people of his race.

Not quite the fiftieth celebration I was expecting, lacking the cosy feel good atmosphere we’d seen on previous anniversaries back in the classic series run but I would say stick with it. This is challenging meaningful storytelling which satisfactorily tackles and finally lays to rest the long running issue of the Time War with an effective resolution to the matter.

It is a good package on DVD with extras serving up ‘Doctor Who Explained’ (45 mins with a vast amount of contributors with worthy subjects like Sarah Jane Smith and UNIT part of the many series aspects discussed), a couple of mini-episodes (approx. 7 min ‘The Night of the Doctor’ (featuring Paul McGann, the sisterhood of Khan and a regeneration into John Hurt), approx. 4 min ‘The Last Day’ (initiation of a Gallifrey security guard)), ‘Behind The Lens’ (13 min making of item) and a couple of one to one and a half min trailers.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:04 pm

Yes, I'm going to give the Day of the Doctor another try, my youngest son says it's good but then he is a Dr Who fanatic.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:07 am

With grateful thanks to my good friend Andrew I got to see a video taped copy of 2013’s seasonal offering ‘The Time of the Doctor’ on New Year’s Eve and my overwhelming impression is that it is another work of pure genius from Steven Moffatt, excellent thought provokingly satisfying stuff. For me it seems like a great mix of comedy, drama, action and special effects and presented us with a lot of good aspects worthy of repeated viewing (I’m certainly considering getting the DVD!) and would like to mention what is uppermost in my mind at present.

Bizarre to begin with the Doctor walking around the TARDIS console room talking with a severed Cyberman head and then all this business his being naked in front of both Clara and then her family was a bit jarring to say the least. Then there was the sight of a totally bald Doctor later on… not a good look. Great to see both the Weeping Angels and the Silence once more although shame their participation was fairly minimal. An intriguing first to have a wooden Cyberman, so easily outsmarted by the Doctor, resulting in that CGI hole in the chest. Essential to have the Daleks present plus that returning concept of possessing humans whom then have eye stalks coming out of their foreheads, a decidedly creepy but I think marvellously satisfying development of the threat that the Doctor’s greatest foe presents. I like the concept of a truth field in the Christmas village and it was both sad and understandable that our series lead would choose to spend his final days continually defending the inhabitants of this settlement against all invading enemies.

In my opinion naturally it’s another fantastic measured performance by Matt Smith particularly with the old age prosthetics. Credit is also due to Jenna Louise Coleman whom further enriches and enhances the series with her welcome performance as Clara whom interacts so marvellously well with Smith’s Doctor. I personally think it is a relief that established series mythology regarding natural Time Lord lifespan is respected in a touchingly moving conversation between the Doctor and Clara with the former resigned to his fate of dying on Trenzalore in the village of Christmas perpetually defending the locals. To go further I would at this point have to say ‘beware of spoilers’ as my next thoughts hinge on the pivotal aspects of this story.

Delving back to Smith’s first story ‘The Eleventh Hour’ and the crack in Amy’s bedroom I thought it was commendably brilliant of Steven Moffatt to use this as a means of solving the matter of a natural end to the Doctor’s lifespan by infusing him with a brand new multi regeneration lifespan. I was a bit puzzled when having destroyed the Daleks, their spaceship and most of the settlement around him that Clara suddenly was confronted with the once more youthful Doctor back inside the TARDIS. It was beautifully touching to have the moving sequence of the Doctor watching the child run around the upper level and then grown woman Amy saying a final touching goodbye before he departed. However this was no ordinary regeneration, no volcanic energy coming out of arms and head instead for me it seemed rather to jarring to have it happen like flicking a switch. One minute you had Matt Smith and then there was the wide staring eyes of Peter Capaldi as the twelfth Doctor, or should he be the first Doctor, second lifespan. Personally I would go with this as the first thing he said to Clara was ‘Can you fly this machine?’ which seems to indicate that it could really be a total new start. In summary I thought this was a great, very satisfying way to end Doctor Who’s fiftieth anniversary year!
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:42 pm

Peter Capaldi's costume has been revealed and, looking at the image on the official BBC site (plus no doubt featuring in next weeks Doctor Who Magazine, out on Thursday) it reminds me of the outfit that Jon Pertwee had, for one story only, that of his first Spearhead From Space'. It seems like with his casting and now the costume that the series is going for a 'back-to-basics' feel/look perhaps harking back to the original series which I'm sure will please many people, like some on this forum, whom have drifted away during the previous three incarnations, particularly the overtly youthful Matt Smith that might be considered to lack the gravitas that the role demands. Personally I don't have a problem, so far, with any of the previous actors.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:23 am

Marvellous to get my hands on a copy of Issue 473 of Doctor Who Magazine today! =D Looks like a really great issue with IMO the welcome sight of Sylvester McCoy on the cover. Yeah I know there are a lot of people knocking his era but I'd pleased to see the first of a multi part interview with Andrew Cartmel who was so instrumental in crafting/reinstilling the mystery into the character particularly in stories like 'The Curse of Fenric', always interesting to hear what he has to say (has cropped up on a few classic series 'making of' DVD features). Good also to see a tribute to director Christopher Barry, very nice chap whom was responsible for some great classic series stories like the Pertwee favourite 'The Daemons'. Good also to hear that a full tribute will also be given, in a future issue, to Kate O'Mara whom died recently... a was very shocked and deeply saddened by this sudden loss of an iconic actress. Very happy to see Pat Troughton story "The Seeds of Death" gaining the 'Fact of Fiction' treatment, definitely one of my favourites with great incidental music and performances from both regulars and guest cast like Miss Kelly (a great female role model perhaps(?), Fewsham and Osgood. Reasonable reviews section but most welcome Time Team focusing on the David Tennant Sontaran two-parter.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:32 am

I remember the Daemons, very spooky I thought. Ah those were the days: old bangers I was always having to fix, no PCs, no internet, no email, fax machines, flared trousers, Mud, Slade and Pink Floyd.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:38 am

SubHuman wrote:I remember the Daemons, very spooky I thought. Ah those were the days: old bangers I was always having to fix, no PCs, no internet, no email, fax machines, flared trousers, Mud, Slade and Pink Floyd.

Just one of the stories that Christopher Barry directed. He also was at the helm for Pat Troughton's very first story 'Power of the Daleks', sadly missing from the archives but survives on audio. I've got the double CD and the classic status of this pivital story is IMO clear to hear!

Lets also not forget he also worked on the very first Dalek story, Tom Baker's debut 'Robot' and the classic 'Brain of Morbius' with its memorable episode cliffhanger of a blinded Sarah Jane Smith stumbling on the headless creature in Solon's laboratory. Christopher Barry has featured on DVD special feature documentaries and commentaries and IMO comes across as a warm friendly sort of chap with a good knowledge and affection for the series. He will certainly be missed
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Wed May 14, 2014 3:48 pm

They are cheeky scamps at Radio Times having Peter Capaldi in full costume on the front cover of this weeks edition. No need to get excited as we are still miles away from seeing a new series (a full run with no gaps mid way through like in previous years, yipee!). All it is some article talking with Steven Moffatt.
;)
sarah t

Postby Aylett 67 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:50 pm

I am looking forward to Peter Capaldi as he wants to move the series forward and he reminds me of the older Doctors from the past, who made the show so good. Had mixed feelings about David Tennant, his first series was good, second and third seemed a bit too wacky, but by his last two stories, he seemed to be settling into the role and the Christmas special was the best since 2009
Aylett 67

Postby sarah t » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:13 am

This weeks Radio Times teases us with word on current trailers on BBC television channels hinting at Capaldi's first season to hit screens some time around August. There is a trailer... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01zp3cd
:/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:08 pm

sarah t wrote:This weeks Radio Times teases us with word on current trailers on BBC television channels hinting at Capaldi's first season to hit screens some time around August. There is a trailer... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01zp3cd

15 seconds, not much of a trailer is it, bit like the build-up to Credo!
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:03 am

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:This weeks Radio Times teases us with word on current trailers on BBC television channels hinting at Capaldi's first season to hit screens some time around August. There is a trailer... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01zp3cd

15 seconds, not much of a trailer is it, bit like the build-up to Credo!

I agree but I think it is what is called a 'teaser trailer', presumably there will be a more substantial one closer to transmission dates.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:33 pm

The trailer graphic is quite atmospheric, I'm just hoping the new series delivers. Really nasty baddies for the Doctor to vanquish.
SubHuman

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion