Top Telly

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: Top Telly

Postby sarah t » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Currently taking a leisurely double episode dip into the 'Beiderbeck Trilogy' DVD box set on Tuesday evenings (re watching Sunday morning). I was surprised to come across the three disc DVD box set of BBC drama series 'Fortunes of War' at Oxfam bookshop yesterday. Just had a look over the discs last night and was pleased to see apart from the seven approx one hour episodes there are a few promotional extracts from chat shows around the time of broadcast as well as an approx 40min 'Time Shift' program looking at the general career of Alan Plater, the guy whom was also responsible for 'Beiderbeck'

'Fortunes of War' is a DVD box set series I mulled over for quite a while but then eventually decided it was not worthy purchasing. Thanks to it being donated to Oxfam bookshop I have the opportunity to see if I was right in that choice or will I be ready to praise it.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:39 pm

Currently re-visiting Most Haunted via Pick TV, I'm not a believer but I do like ghost stories. I have to say that most of the "evidence" presented is frankly laughable, the most interesting feature being the locations themselves. Old castles, manor houses, breweries and so on. The history of some of these places is very interesting and could do with better coverage than the programme gives them.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Well IMO sems like a big mistake watching 'Fortunes of War', really wanted to like this with interesting far off locations and a few good performances and for a DVD package it is quite impressive with some interesting BBC archive extracts from 'Did You See', 'Wogan', 'Breakfast Time' and 'Open Space'. At least I didn't shell out any money on it so it's been a no risk exercise but certainly going to lob it back at the Oxfam bookshop after I've watched the last episode and 'Timeshift' program on Alan Plater on Tuesday.

February will see me dipping into the three part 2000 television mini-series of Frank Herbert's Dune. Just had a brief look over the three discs, each part is approx 90/100mins in length and the special effects on offer seem, for me at least, jaw droppingly impressive. Will definitely be nabbing the followup 'Children of Dune' series in the next few weeks. Only remembered this series as came across some magazine articles relating to both series whilst periodically doing a tidy up/cull of printed stuff I have.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:34 am

Great to have 'Top Gear' back with a new series. Caught the first program on BBCiPlayer yesterday, very funny with the three guys given a series of challenges around the three 80s hot hatches they had aquired. Hill climb, 'wrapping' cars, and supermarket timed route were very funny I thought but the police chase section was totaly rubbish especially when they blew up two of the cars.
:)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:23 pm

Currently watching the early episodes of Jonathan Creek on DVD, we have the full set of the original four series. I'm finding these most enjoyable, better IMO than the recent series that was on the box in March of this year.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:16 am

I seem to be watching quite a lot of Knight Rider at the moment. Having made my way through season 2, 3, and 4 I’ve now making my way through the first season of the classic 80s series with David Hasselhoff on Sunday mornings. As a DVD box set this collection brings a lot of welcome special features to the table including unique interviews a commentary on the pilot and a couple of feature length episodes. I hadn’t seen the pilot episode in years but by and large wasn’t overly impressed apart from the classic scene where Michael sitting in the driving seat with his head resting against the window clearly asleep. He is spotted by a couple of eager police officers whom flag him down and following KITT’s advice Michael attempts to convince them that he has a permanent stiff neck and deaf… and they actually buy the bluff! In my opinion the least said the better about the ‘Knight Rider 2000’ feature the better as it features the apparent death of beloved regular Devon Miles (played so splendidly by Edward Mulhare) and KITT installed in a pale blue 50s vehicle and then a god awful red futuristic car… I shudder to think that this is the ultimate fate of the Knight Industries Two Thousand! I definitely think that the greatest episode achievement that the series ever offered is the third season feature length story ‘Knight of the Drones’ which offers all that is best about Knight Rider. You’ve got a great location well used (San Francisco), great supporting cast (like the actor playing ‘best wire man in the business’ and failed chef Peter Wong, plus arch bad guy played by Jared Martin), enjoyably exciting plot and occasional excellent use of popular 80s pop music like Pointer Sisters with Jump.

As well as the 80s series I’ve recently started to delve into the four DVD set of the 2008 ‘remake’ series each Tuesday evening which although is visually stunning, suitably high tech and exciting with a great ‘kick ass’ ultra cool but frustratingly short opening titles sequence for me feels rather po-faced and overtly serious. I do generally like the look of the 3000 car and its incredible features although the ‘attack mode’ transformations are a bit too far down the science fiction route for my tastes I feel it shoots itself in the foot with ridiculously life threatening situations like entering the base as a raging fireball vehicle and Michael being simultaneously poisoned by five life threatening viruses with him momentarily dying part way through the story. Yeah there was a similar situation of the latter in the pilot story of the 80s original but it did it was considerably more style and deft though that the sledgehammer approach of the 2008 remake. It lacks the subtle ‘one man can make a difference’ ‘loner out on the road with minimal assistance from his colleagues’ charm of the original 80s version. Perhaps this is why it was cancelled in the US after only one season.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:58 pm

I noticed in passing today that (yawn) Most Haunted is back on again. I tried watching a couple of episodes years ago out of curiosity. French and Saunders got it right with their take-off sketch Almost Haunted.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:23 am

SubHuman wrote:I noticed in passing today that (yawn) Most Haunted is back on again. I tried watching a couple of episodes years ago out of curiosity. French and Saunders got it right with their take-off sketch Almost Haunted.

I suspect that is one of those series that perpetually does the rounds on satellite channels, hardly think it warrents a mention in a 'Top Telly' thread! :/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:25 am

But we don't have an "Average or Rubbish Telly" thread. I know some people (daughter-in-law) who are Most Haunted addicts.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:27 am

SubHuman wrote:But we don't have an "Average or Rubbish Telly" thread

I suppose any comments about poor quality 'telly' would probably crop up in General Discussion. This thread I think is best used for praising telly and flagging up those shows which members think other people should see.....
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:05 pm

Although DAB radio and CD disc full cast audio drama, mainly from the very impressive Big Finish company (e.g. ‘Doctor Who’, ‘Blake’s 7’ and newly discovered ‘Graceless’) primarily commands my attention (enjoying the freedom of not being overly tied to television watching as I used to be as I happily continue to shun live broadcast visual media) whilst at home there are a few ‘visual treats’ that I currently enjoy on DVD…

My current ‘new favourite thing’ is having a weekly double episode dip into BBC series “Monarch of the Glen”, new for 2015 and a Sunday morning treat before 9.00am that gets me leaping out of bed eager to further enjoy this fantastic twenty-two DVD box set. I think I saw most of it on original transmission and remembering some fine pleasing regulars performances (e.g. Richard Briers, Susan Hampshire) enjoyable storylines, well directed episodes and stunning countryside scenery this was definitely a worthy purchase. Very early days with this as so far I’ve had just six episodes spread over 4th, 11th & 18th but for me it certainly gets this particular day of the week off to an excellent start!

Now I have no interest in television ‘soaps’ but have always felt there was something rather unique and comfortingly appealing about Channel 4’s “Brookside”, a series that I must have seen virtually every episode, mostly in Saturday afternoon omnibus format even setting up the video recorder to catch the show when going on holiday during the 80s. Having recently come across the impressively detailed and fully comprehensive Wikipedia entry (something that I copied, pasted and reformatted into eight printed A4 pages) I was curious to find out how the series was represented on YouTube. I’m quite amazed by the vast number of episodes that have been uploaded but when you consider that between 2nnd November 1982 and 4thh November 2003 “Brookside” notched up an impressive 2915 programs there is a vast amount to draw from. There are also some ‘VHS video tape only’ release titles like “The Lost Weekend” that I never managed to buy and it is great to have the opportunity to see them as it’s virtually impossible that they will ever see the DVD ‘light of day’. I’m currently finding it marvellous to reacquaint myself with this series and am at present focusing on 1998 (through both computer and Nintendo 2DS console), for me a very pleasing period of the show.

Elsewhere I’ve currently gone back to DVD disc triple story Tuesday evenings of “Star Trek : The Next Generation”, a series I haven’t seen for many years but focusing on the third season where I think the show really began to hit its stride and produced some of its finest stories like ‘Deja Q’, ‘The Hunted’ and ‘The High Ground’. Thursday evenings there are double episodes of short-lived 1984 cult fantasy show “Streethawk” (a mere 13 episodes) which apart from having the supermachine motorcycle equipped with ‘hyperthrust’ and weaponry also boasted great 80s synth incidental music and title theme tune by Tangerine Dream.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:45 pm

I tried watching Monarch of the Glen when it was first on telly, never really warmed to it just another soap really but set in Scotland. I'm currently watching re-runs of Downton Abbey, "Allo"Allo" and Time Team recorded from various Sky channels plus on DVDs Sharp and Afterlife.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:02 pm

SubHuman wrote:I tried watching Monarch of the Glen when it was first on telly, never really warmed to it just another soap really but set in Scotland. I'm currently watching re-runs of Downton Abbey, "Allo"Allo" and Time Team recorded from various Sky channels plus on DVDs Sharp and Afterlife.

No interest in Downtown Abbey or Time Team but certainly feel that "Allo Allo" is a classic sit com that is always good fun... I've got the entire series on individual season box sets.

I strongly disagree that "Monarch of the Glen" is 'merely another soap' it is clearly far more than that... a drama series with individual weekly stories, there is no overriding continuing narrative on offer like soaps and for another thing it is on a lot of occasions very funny but you would expect that with a cast featuring the late great Richard Briers, an actor best known for his comedy role in BBC's "The Good Life' sticom. I think you have missed the point of this series.
sarah t

Postby Knowlesy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:44 pm

I'd appreciate it if someone can advise me on how to get a copy of episode 2 of the new BBC 2 series Wolf Hall. I don't have access to the BBC i-player and would prefer to get a copy on dvd as this is for someone to watch on a TV as opposed to a pc or tablet. Any help would be very welcome.
Knowlesy

Postby SubHuman » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:07 am

I came across this website recently:-

http://raretvondvd.net/index.php?route= ... ry&path=60

They sell hard to find TV series on dvd. I got the third series of Sea of Souls from them.
SubHuman

Postby cs15 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:19 pm

Anyone else lovin' Boy George on The Voice?

Is there no end to this man's talents??? And next up he's on The Apprentice
cs15

Postby Electric Dream » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:04 pm

cs15 wrote:Anyone else lovin' Boy George on The Voice?

Is there no end to this man's talents??? And next up he's on The Apprentice

Nope! Never watched it. Or the Apprentice.

I am loving Deutschland 83 though :)
Electric Dream

Postby JJ » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:22 am

RIP Terry Wogan - growing up in the 70s, Eurovision was a must-watch because of his gentle piss-taking!
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:55 pm

Watching Waking The Dead on DVD at the moment, got series 1 to 8. It's much better than I remembered, probably because I've watched too many crime series again and again on the repeat channels.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:37 am

The latest series of Vera is quite good, although some of the first episodes took a while to get going.
SubHuman

Postby StevieD » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:15 pm

Boy George's 1970's save me from suburbia
Just watching this on BBC2. While I'm not a big fan of George's music, this is an interesting documentary. Lots of memories of the late 70's
*update* being boiled played by rusty egan
StevieD

Postby Electric Dream » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:44 pm

I plan to watch that tonight :)
Electric Dream

Postby cs15 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:35 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BMYfsPTsK0Qand

LOVED the show. Great watch. For any Boy George fans that missed it (Stiggy) you can catch it here. Couple of mentions of THL too and Being Boiled and The Sound Of The Crowd played.
cs15

Previous

Return to General discussion