Books - what are you reading at the moment?

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: Books - what are you reading at the moment?

Postby JJ » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:59 pm

I finished Regeneration ages ago - wasn't what I was expecting to be honest, and was a little disappointed by it.

After that I read My Wicked Wicked Ways - Errol Flynn's autobiography. Enjoyable on the whole, and about a period in Hollywood history I find very interesting. He really was a bloke that lived on the edge, especially in his pre-film star days.

With Hollywood hey-day still in mind I re-read The Moon's A Balloon by David Niven for the third or fourth time, as it's one of the funniest books I've ever read, and I remember some of his stories of Flynn so wanted to revisit them. There was actually little in TMAB about Flynn, so I then re-read Niven's follow-up to TMAB, Bring On The Empty Horses. More tales of Hollywood, and again very interesting with lots of great little stories.

Now I'm 730+ pages into Underworld by Don Delillo, and I'm afraid to say I still don't know whether I like it or not, or even what it's really about, with only 100 pages to go. I mean I know what's happened in the book obviously - basically a variety of threads about different people in height-of-the-cold-war-US between early 1950s and mid 1970s, with the first part of the book all set around a famous baseball moment (and therefore one that most of the rest of the world, including me, wouldn't know or care about), while on the other side of the world the USSR is starting/continuing its testing of various nuclear bombs. I love nuclear war facts and fiction, and that part of the synopsis is what made me buy the book. I daren't not finish it now as I know I'll never go back to it, but I can't wait to get there. Sometimes I really like it, but it drifts for looooong periods.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby JJ » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:28 am

Thankfully finished Underworld by Don Delillo. I know it's meant to be "a modern classic" whatever that really means, but bloody hell it was hard work. It had it's little moments that made me sit up, but far too few. Still, I've read it now so don't need to again!

I'm now halfway through Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. Love SK, and needed something a bit more basic after Underworld. I'm really enjoying it so far.

After that I may delve into Stephen Hawking which has just arrived...or I might need to stay on the more basic stuff for a bit. We'll see!
JJ

Postby Electric Dream » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:51 pm

I recently finished Before I Go To Sleep. Best book I've read in years - I couldn't put it down. I then watched the film which was rubbish in comparison (as these things usually are....)

I'm now reading Girl On a Train but not really enjoying it. I'll finish it but can't see it getting any better. Maybe this will be one of those rare occasions that the film is better than the book? (haven't seen the film but it does look good)
Electric Dream

Postby cs15 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Girl On The Train - I hated the book and gave up half way through it. Went to see the movie last week and really enjoyed it. =D
cs15

Postby JJ » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:21 am

Finished Mr.Mercedes by Stephen King - really enjoyed it.

Now a third of the way through Fatherland by Robert Harris. A what if Hitler had won alternate history story, and pretty good so far.
JJ

Postby JJ » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:19 am

Finished Fatherland - very good and an excellent ending.

Now into Revival by Stephen King.
JJ

Postby JJ » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:24 pm

Finished Revival by Stephen King. Not his best, by a long chalk. Pretty good for the first three quarters, but for me the ending was a bit daft. I liken it to It, which I thought was a fabulous book let down by a poor ending.

I'm now halfway through The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. Can't make my mind up on it yet...
JJ

Postby JJ » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:44 am

Just finished The Remains Of The Day. Wow, what a finish!! A 'gentle' book all the way through, but the little jabs of reality that Stevens (the narrator) occasionally lets through his professional armour are just fabulous. Such a sad book and at times a bit plodding. But the exchanges between him and the maid more than make up for that.
JJ

Postby JJ » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:45 am

Now started on Stephen Hawking - A Brief History of Time.
JJ

Postby Electric Dream » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:27 pm

I've recently started reading The Teacher - it's a bit confusing as to who is who, and how the people/chapters join together etc!! Really enjoying it though. Nearly missed my bus/tube stop a couple of times whilst reading it, haha!
Electric Dream

Postby JJ » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:53 pm

JJ wrote:Now started on Stephen Hawking - A Brief History of Time.

When I started this, I set myself the target of finishing it in the 2 weeks I had before flying to the UK. I'm now on the penultimate chapter so will achieve that, but bloody hell... I'm really having to concentrate very hard, and have to keep flicking back a page or two to go back over an explanation for something that he's talking about two pages later.
JJ

Postby JJ » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:34 am

Finished A Brief History of Time, but now the big dilemma... I'm about to go on holiday for a few weeks, and what to read?! On the possibles list are:

Stephen King - 11.22.63
Martin Cruz Smith - Gorky Park
Nelson DeMille - Wild Fire
Anthony Doerr - All The Light We Cannot See***
Frederick Forsyth - The Outsider-My Life In Intrigue [his autobiography]
Joe Hill [Stephen King's son] - NOS4R2
John Irving - The Cider House Rules*
David Lagercrantz - The Girl In The Spider's Web**
George R.R. Martin - A Game of Thrones 1

*This is the front runner at the moment...
** Second choice
*** Third choice
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:18 pm

JJ wrote:Just finished The Remains Of The Day. Wow, what a finish!! A 'gentle' book all the way through, but the little jabs of reality that Stevens (the narrator) occasionally lets through his professional armour are just fabulous. Such a sad book and at times a bit plodding. But the exchanges between him and the maid more than make up for that.

I've seen this as a film which was shown on television in the 1990s, that was also very good. It stared Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:34 am

SubHuman wrote:I've seen this as a film which was shown on television in the 1990s, that was also very good. It stared Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.

I bought the DVD in England when over there a few weeks ago, haven't got round to watching it yet. Didn't want to see it until I'd finished the book, but when I get a spare couple of hours (so sometime in 2018 at this rate) I'll watch it.

Back to the books - it was quite ironic really, I steamed through Hawking in order to start a lighter read on holiday, I opted to go for The Girl In The Spider's Web, and ended up reading not a single page of it on holiday. I was so knackered from all the walking that I didn't feel like reading at the end of the day, and even when we were just by the pool in Dubai I was more in listen-to-ipod mode than reading.

Anyway, I'm now halfway through TGITSW, and enjoying it on the whole, although I'd like a bit more Lisbeth Salander in it rather than Mikkel Blomkvist. I think she's a brilliant creation!
JJ

Postby JJ » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:15 am

Finished The Girl In The Spider's Web. Enjoyed it, and thought he did well to carry on where Stieg Larsson had left off. My only complaint was, as mentioned in the previous post, I'd have liked a smidgeon more Lisbeth Salander and a little less Mikael Blomkvist in it.

Now into Frederick Forsyth's autobiography (sort of) called The Outsider - My Life In Intrigue. It's been an excellent start, and he certainly knows how to put tales together.
JJ

Postby JJ » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:03 am

I appear to be mostly talking to myself on here. Never mind! :)

Finished the Frederick Forsyth book. It was a collection of (some very brief) stories. It was ok....nothing special.

Now into Nelson Demille - Wild Fire. I really like his books, they make me laugh aloud as his sense of humour is as dry as mine. I'm only 70 pages in but already really enjoying it.
JJ

Postby cs15 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:24 am

Bought 'The Girl In The Spiders Web' about 3 months ago but life has managed to get in the way and I haven't turned a single page yet. I also bought a book on 'The New Romantics' and read that cover to cover in 2 days. =D
cs15

Postby JJ » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:20 am

cs15 wrote:Bought 'The Girl In The Spiders Web' about 3 months ago but life has managed to get in the way and I haven't turned a single page yet.

As per above, I've recently finished it - if you liked the first three you'll enjoy it. I also heard today that it's to become the next Hollywood film adaptation from the series.

The first three books were all filmed in Swedish with the fabulous Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander, whereas Hollywood only filmed the first book The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (with Daniel Craig as Mikael Blomkvist).
JJ

Postby JJ » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:32 am

Finished Nelson Demille's 'Wild Fire' - loved it!

Now into Anthony Doerr's 'All The Light We Cannot See'. Only 30 pages in but I can already see what all the fuss was about; a very good start!
JJ

Postby cs15 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Just finished reading Mark Billingham's 'The Bones Beneath'.

Really enjoyed it and read it in 3 days flat (was on hols). I'd never heard of this writer before although i understand now that some of his work has already been turned into TV shows for Sky TV.

It's a cop versus pyscho serial killer set on an island off the coast of Wales. Very atmospheric and its a real page turner of a book. Went out and bought another of his books today 'BloodLine'. Looking forward to starting it.
cs15

Postby JJ » Tue May 16, 2017 12:18 pm

JJ wrote:Now into Anthony Doerr's 'All The Light We Cannot See'. Only 30 pages in but I can already see what all the fuss was about; a very good start!

Just finished it. A beautiful book - full of uplifting gentleness and yet at the same time the horror and brutality of war.
JJ

Postby JJ » Sun May 21, 2017 8:10 am

Now started reading The End of the World Running Club by Adrian Walker. Post-apocalyptic etc.
JJ

Postby JJ » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:02 am

Finished TEOTWRClub - it was ok.

After that moved on to Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. I was actually a little disappointed with it, although it was a very easy / quick read, somewhat helped by the very short chapters (bit like All The Light We Cannot See in that regard.)

Now starting David Baldacci - Absolute Power. Often see his books around and fairly cheap so thought I'd give one a go.

I've actually been thinking a lot recently about the whole getting older / time running down thing, specifically about reading. There are just too many books I want to read; I've probably got around 25 in the 'queue' that I already have and that's before buying any more.
JJ

Postby cs15 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:58 pm

JJ I'm amazed at your stamina to get through books. If I get through 1 per month I'm happy.
cs15

Postby JJ » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:07 pm

It usually takes me a month, but the last one by Vonnegut was only 200 pages.
JJ

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion