02.12.2016 Manchester, UK - O2 Apollo

Tours and other live dates - post your pre-gig discussions and post-gig reviews

02.12.2016 Manchester, UK - O2 Apollo

Postby crowbaby » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:39 am

Please use this thread for everything to do with this gig.
crowbaby

Re: 02.12.2016 Manchester, UK - O2 Apollo

Postby sarajoanne » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:12 pm

It was absolutely fantastic -I had all of my 80s gear on & felt in my teens/20s. As soon as Don't you want me came on, phil, joanne, susan weren't on stage . we all started singing it ourselves & I suspect they were having an emotional moment -seeing all of their faithful fans & & hearing them singing the words without them being there. .Thank you all of HL Love to you all xxx
sarajoanne

Postby Knowlesy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:09 pm

What a wonderful night at the Apollo! From the attention grabbing intro of Being Boiled to the pure joy of Electric Dreams this was a stunning performance with their best-ever stage set. A tremendous set list (my favourite since the Synth City tour) with Philip introducing FUWH by stating that they would be playing more songs than normal "from the mid-period of our career". "This one went Top 40, they're all hits in my eyes". I longed to hear this for years and it lived up to expectations. A brilliant rendition which received a very lacklustre reception. STAG fared much better. I don't like the song but it got a warm round of applause and seems to be a band favourite. However it was SWMT that got the best reception from an up-for-it crowd to the lesser known hits. Great to hear it live at last.
The cleverly designed stage set was outstanding - I'm thrilled that I saw the full production. The audience whooped as a morphing image of Boris Johnson turned into a rat during TSOTC. Only Sky temporarily slowed the momentum. AIEW or ESH would have been a better choice I feel. Clearly an unfamiliar song to many but there were audible gasps as the upper section of the led screens was raised and revealed the band on a mid-level stage. Neil, Rob and Joshua played with a steely-eyed precision. The sound was astonishingly clear and powerful. Joshua has a cool and calm presence. A very different style to Nic Burke but clearly he's just as accomplished on keyboards and guitar. Has Philip ever changed outfits as often as tonight? I doubt it. At least six different ensembles I reckon, the goatee only detracts from his good looks however. Susan spoke to the audience around the mid-point - "you're the reason we're still going". Philip declared his love for Manchester several times, stating that it's great to be with "our friends from across the Pennines". I really enjoyed the original electro version of OMIMH. Joanne and Susan looked as glamtastic as ever. Shimmering silver and black dresses, evening gloves and hair elegantly tied-up all featured, only topped by their ED costumes which always have the most impact.
We had lift-off during Louise with the crowd singing every word with unrestrained enthusiasm. Never before have I heard an audience sing it with such passion. Philip pointed out a mistake he made at one point saying "that's good, it means the steroids are working. The beta blockers are kicking in" :lol: He also gave the set designer Rob Sinclair some stick by saying he didn't like the steps to reach the band and indicated that he would be taking this up with him later. I can not praise the magnificence of the visuals enough. Witty, dramatic, clever and slick they enhanced every song with a panache that was staggeringly good. Thank you to everyone involved for making this happen. Truly unforgettable. The absolute highlight was the entire audience,with the whole balcony section on their feet singing DYWM during the extended intro with such joy, love and enthusiasm that was completely thrilling. It went up a level when the holy trinity re-joined us for the best rendition I have ever witnessed. Even better than Electric Picnic and that is saying something.
Knowlesy

Postby sarajoanne » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:23 pm

I agree -it was magical, nostalgic -Lovely of susan to mention the town hall santa - Like many of the 80s bands - susan wasn't just speaking of the human league when she said we were the reason they were still going-she was referring to other bands as well -she is right & applies to all 80s bands who stage special comebacks & their now grown up fans are still flocking to see them.

Knowlesy- excuse my ignorance what are the abbreviations??? -

Yes the images were good & I was many of the people who cheered when Boris Johnson turned into a rat
Susan & Joanne are still good looking even now & so is phil oakey-That was funny when Philip mentioned his steroids/beta blockers
it was an unforgettable evening for me too & since seen that parts of the concert are now on you tube so sunday night I relived the songs that were on it again & made me emotional too.
All of the visuals were fabulously done-
There wasn't a single person in that audience who didn't know the words
sarajoanne

Postby cs15 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:09 pm

Better than Electric Picnic?? :O You sure? =D

Glad you enjoyed it Knowlesy.
cs15

Postby JJ » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:55 am

sarajoanne wrote:Knowlesy- excuse my ignorance what are the abbreviations???

Forgive me for answering on his behalf...

FUWH = Filling Up With Heaven
STAG = Soundtrack To A Generation
SWMT = Stay With Me Tonight
TSOTC = The Sound Of The Crowd
AIEW = All I Ever Wanted
ESH = Empire State Human
OMIMH = One Man In My Heart
ED = Together In Electric Dreams
DYWM = I think you can guess that one. ;)
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby jaymze » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:44 am

Knowlesy wrote:.....Even better than Electric Picnic and that is saying something.

Really?! I was at the EP back in 2005, it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.
Now I'm REALLY looking forward to tonight in Glasgow!!
jaymze

Postby Knowlesy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:11 pm

cs15 wrote:Better than Electric Picnic?? :O You sure? =D

Glad you enjoyed it Knowlesy.

jaymze wrote:
Knowlesy wrote:.....Even better than Electric Picnic and that is saying something.

Really?! I was at the EP back in 2005, it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.
Now I'm REALLY looking forward to tonight in Glasgow!!

Yes I'm REALLY sure :) EP had a sensational atmosphere and the crowd sang their hearts out for DYWM. One of my favourite ever concerts too. Manchester Apollo was even better. The emphatic way the crowd sang 'As if they were still lovers' during Louise has never happened before at any League concert I've ever attended. And it just got better and better from there. I was close to the stage and I'll never forget looking around at the crowd during DYWM. It was overwhelming to see so many people in unison and making it a magical night as sarajoanne said. To be on stage and receive such an ovation must be incredibly moving. I'm aware that Glasgow crowds are up for a good night out and I hope you experience a similar atmosphere jaymze and everyone else who will be there. You gotta make it happen! ;)
Knowlesy

Postby sarajoanne » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi Knowsley

I like that -very clever putting the songs in abbreviations now I know what DYWM is -Don't you want me!! lol!!! What is electric Picnic?? -Is that a reference to ED or TIED (Together in Electric Dreams?

It was if the whole crowd was one person

Im going to see 80s invasion & Pet shop boys (PSB) next year so Im pretty sure the same atmosphere will be there.

For sure it was emotional time for Philip, Susan, & Joanne-bet they couldn't believe it -all the fans still knew words after 30 years or so

I heard DYWM on absolute radio this morning :)
sarajoanne

Postby crowbaby » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:37 am

Knowlesy - Wish I'd known you were there! I saw Joe outside SD and he said he'd been talking to you! I was at SD for quite a while before realising Joe was there!
I agree the crowd was one...I've never heard such a singalong! Better than the Sheffield crowd (well from where I was in the crowd!)
crowbaby

Postby JJ » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:21 pm

sarajoanne wrote:What is electric Picnic?? -Is that a reference to ED or TIED (Together in Electric Dreams?

Electric Picnic was a concert The Human League did in Ireland back in 2005 and which has taken on legendary status with our Irish friends for being so good.

(Sorry for answering for you again Stephen!)
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby cs15 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:48 pm

And 1 Aussie friend too JJ - Crowbaby was also in attendance. =D
cs15

Postby sarajoanne » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:36 pm

He has come a long way -all the way from down under -Talk about dedicated !! WOW!!!
sarajoanne

Postby crowbaby » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:53 pm

That was trip number 3... I (she) have just come back from trip number 7 to see them. I'm either a good fan or just slightly unhinged! :D
crowbaby

Postby sarajoanne » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:05 pm

Sorry to be ignorant - You re not unhinged - if you ve done more than 1 trip then I admire you!! IT MAKES YOU A SUPERFAN!!!!!! -congrats!!! -Hopefully they will tour again sometime -

Glad you enjoyed the concert -- I recreated the clothes I wore when I was in my teens/twenties

As well as a Georgette, Durannie, Spandauette, I was a Leaguer (because of my love for Human League)
sarajoanne

Postby crowbaby » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:20 pm

Nice to meet you, Sarajoanne, I'm Karen :)
crowbaby

Postby cs15 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:47 pm

sarajoanne wrote:Sorry to be ignorant - You re not unhinged - if you ve done more than 1 trip then I admire you!! IT MAKES YOU A SUPERFAN!!!!!! -congrats!!! -Hopefully they will tour again sometime -

Glad you enjoyed the concert -- I recreated the clothes I wore when I was in my teens/twenties

As well as a Georgette, Durannie, Spandauette, I was a Leaguer (because of my love for Human League)

A Georgette? Which one? Boy or Michael?
cs15

Postby Electric Dream » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:29 pm

Good review Knowlesy :)
Electric Dream

Postby SubHuman » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:10 am

Electric Dream wrote:Good review Knowlesy :)

Ditto, and so much better than the one I was going to do for the Colston Hall gig, ah well back to the drawing board.

crowbaby wrote:That was trip number 3... I'm either a good fan or just slightly unhinged! :D

Take your pick

Sarajoanne, the League usually do a winter tour ever other year as well as music festivals in the summer - see some of the older threads in the live section.
SubHuman

Postby Knowlesy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:52 am

crowbaby wrote:Knowlesy - Wish I'd known you were there! I saw Joe outside SD and he said he'd been talking to you! I was at SD for quite a while before realising Joe was there!
I agree the crowd was one...I've never heard such a singalong! Better than the Sheffield crowd (well from where I was in the crowd!)

Yes that 's a pity Karen. Glad you enjoyed it too. Six days later and I'm still buzzing :)

JJ wrote:
sarajoanne wrote:What is electric Picnic?? -Is that a reference to ED or TIED (Together in Electric Dreams?

Electric Picnic was a concert The Human League did in Ireland back in 2005 and which has taken on legendary status with our Irish friends for being so good.

(Sorry for answering for you again Stephen!)

No problem John ;)

Thanks for your kind comments Tracy, Subhuman, sarajoanne and everyone else =D These tours bring out the best in all of us and it's great to see the forum so active again.
Knowlesy

Return to Live