2017... Formula 1 thread

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby SubHuman » Tue May 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Hamilton couldn't get his car setup right for qualifying and so his tyres were very slow to warm. The Montreal circuit should suit the Mercedes cars better, so if Ferrari win there... =|
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby sarah t » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Really good exciting Canadian GP thanks mainly to Force India... great to see them so strong and fighting with the Ferrari's. (I really don't know if team orders really would have effected the outcome as Vettel was clearly going to get both of them by the end of the race :/ ) Outstanding achievement of course for Lewis Hamilton (six times a winner and three in a row at this circuit) but praise also for local boy Lance Stroll whom finally got points in front of his home fans and a good fighting drive against other drivers for position. Incident and excitement throughout the field and over the entire length of the race made it well worth checking out on Channel 4 On Demand! =D
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:45 am

Montreal was a must win race for Mercedes and Hamilton. As a power circuit it should have suited the Mercedes cars, so if Ferrari had beaten them there, fair and square, the silver cars wouldn't have stood much of a chance anywhere else. Hamilton seems to have found out how to switch his tyres on with a car setup that suits his driving style, but Vettel isn't far behind him. We were deprived of a nail biting race between Hamilton and Vettel by Verstappen's intervention and Vettel did well to recover back to forth overall after his nose change. Hamilton is now in close touch behind Vettel in the points so we may get a close drivers championship right down to the wire. The Mercedes cars have a speed advantage but the Ferrari seems to be better on the twisty bits. :p
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:22 am

Amazing race at Baku, there was so much incident that I'll have to watch it again as I can't remember all of the crazy things that happened. There were a lot of problems caused by debris on the track after minor collisions, so there were frequent instances of the safety car being deployed. This actually made matters worse as the safety car was driven so slowly that tyres cooled off, leading to more coming together by the cars on race restart. In the end the race was red flagged to clear debris and allow some running repairs to the cars. This was also Lewis Hamilton's downfall as his head restraint wasn't correctly refitted, and he was forced to pit to have this put right allowing Vettel to get a head of him. As for Vettel's road rage incident with Hamilton, well Vettel got of with that very lightly and this may determine the final outcome of the Drivers Championship, but I hope not. Great results in the end for Ricciardo 1st, Bottas 2nd and Stoll 3rd, with Vettel 4th and Hamilton 5th as he didn't have enough pace to close with Vettel and effect a pass.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby sarah t » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:04 pm

SubHuman wrote:Amazing race at Baku, there was so much incident that I'll have to watch it again as I can't remember all of the crazy things that happened. There were a lot of problems caused by debris on the track after minor collisions, so there were frequent instances of the safety car being deployed. This actually made matters worse as the safety car was driven so slowly that tyres cooled off, leading to more coming together by the cars on race restart. In the end the race was red flagged to clear debris and allow some running repairs to the cars. This was also Lewis Hamilton's downfall as his head restraint wasn't correctly refitted, and he was forced to pit to have this put right allowing Vettel to get a head of him. As for Vettel's road rage incident with Hamilton, well Vettel got of with that very lightly and this may determine the final outcome of the Drivers Championship, but I hope not. Great results in the end for Ricciardo 1st, Bottas 2nd and Stoll 3rd, with Vettel 4th and Hamilton 5th as he didn't have enough pace to close with Vettel and effect a pass.


Not much more I can say of IMO probably the most exciting, dramatic and totally entertaining race this season. Who would have expected that compared with last year!!! Stunning podium for Stroll, shame he just lost out... on the line to Bottas. Amongst the many stories up and down the grid is Alonso getting to the points and getting McLaren's first points of the season.

Quite eventful as well for me on Sunday with BBC radio 5Live losing coverage around 3.30pm and attempting to keep going with occasional updates whilst focusing on some boring tennis match. I kept hoping they would get back, but frankly the moment was lost. Today, on Channel 4 On Demand I got to see the entire live race coverage although half way through my computer froze and I had to restart and get back to the website and find where I was before.
:)
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby JJ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:55 am

Vettel is a moron. That is all.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3329
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby sarah t » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:27 am

Another poor result for Hamilton but what a stunner from Bottas in Austria!!! =D
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:00 am

sarah t wrote:Another poor result for Hamilton but what a stunner from Bottas in Austria!!! =D


Yeah Hamilton isn't having much luck at the moment so Vettel continues to build his lead in the drivers championship.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:29 am

What a difference a week makes. A great result for Lewis Hamilton and for Bottas. There was an unusual amount of tyre failure among their immediate competitors in the last stages of the race, this saw Vettel drop to seventh place. There were good recovery drives by Bottas and Ricciardo.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby sarah t » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:26 am

SubHuman wrote:What a difference a week makes. A great result for Lewis Hamilton and for Bottas. There was an unusual amount of tyre failure among their immediate competitors in the last stages of the race, this saw Vettel drop to seventh place. There were good recovery drives by Bottas and Ricciardo.


I think that gave the home fans just what they wanted... Hamilton winning, Bottas battling and winning against Vettel and Mercedes getting a one-two. That both Ferrari's got a puncture towards the end with Seb eventually finishing a distant seventh to close the drivers championship to one point was 'the icing on the cake!' Hungary can't come fast enough!

But hey let's not forget all the others in the race, particularly a strong showing for Red Bull finishing 4th and 5th, Verstappen offering a fantastic spirited defence early on against Vettle's Ferrari. Bad boys are definitely the squabbling Torro Rosso drivers with the young Russian clearly 'losing the plot' during the race. Again Hulkenburg offered a stronger showing than Palmer irrespective of the British driver's Renault failing to get off the line at the start of the race. Could the summer break mean the end of his F1 career??? Also worth mentioning good points for Force India.
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby SubHuman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:17 am

As usual overtaking was very difficult at the Hungarian Grand Prix which was quite boring at times. Ferrari had the beating of Mercedes in qualifying and this enabled them to get a first and second result. Great sportsmanship from Bottas and Hamilton and a fantastic result for Alonso and McLaren.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby SubHuman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:21 am

Spa was interesting if not exactly exciting. There was a good deal of overtaking in the lower and middle orders but not much among the top four after Bottas's mistake. The top speed of the Mercedes enabled Hamilton to keep ahead of Vettel even when he managed to get alongside. Toto Wolff seems to think that Ferrari might have an advantage at Monza. Once again Alonso had to retire the McLaren, the McLaren team are in discussions with Renault about an engine deal next season now that Honda seem to be incapable of giving them a potential race winning engine.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby sarah t » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:18 am

SubHuman wrote:Spa was interesting if not exactly exciting. There was a good deal of overtaking in the lower and middle orders but not much among the top four after Bottas's mistake. The top speed of the Mercedes enabled Hamilton to keep ahead of Vettel even when he managed to get alongside. Toto Wolff seems to think that Ferrari might have an advantage at Monza. Once again Alonso had to retire the McLaren, the McLaren team are in discussions with Renault about an engine deal next season now that Honda seem to be incapable of giving them a potential race winning engine.


Just wish I could have been a 'fly on the wall' for the post race de-brief at Force India... bet there was some strong talk from the bosses and their two drivers. Looking forward to seeing the coming together during the race. Great shame for Verstappen that he could not do anything special for his home fans home had come over specially to see him but Ricardo (whom had another blinder of a great race) was rather diplomatic in attempting to appease those disappointed people in the crowd. Surprised that a driver of Kimi's experience missed the waved yellows and the resulting stop-go penalty really killed any chance of getting a podium.

Hardly time to draw breath before we head off to Monza! :cool:
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby sarah t » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:16 am

Mercedes 1-2 wasn't what I was expecting for Monza but Hamilton has the momentum at the moment and Bottas did well coming from 6th up to runner up spot... that engine has some serious grunt, well at least for them. Came to the race cold on Sunday afternoon and was astonished to hear that Stroll started on the front row with Ocon in third, good races for them both I think but the top two teams were always going to be too strong for them. Blinder of a good result for Ricardo including that fantastic ballsy move to pass Kimi's Ferrari late into the race.

Nothing much else of note I think during Italian GP... unless anyone else spotted anything worth noting???
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby JJ » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:45 am

Nothing much of note?! How about LH breaking Michael Schumacher's (spit) record for number of poles, and (I think?) in fewer races? Or the fact that for the first time this year LH has overtaken Vettel at the top of the leader board?
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3329
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby sarah t » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:12 pm

JJ wrote:Nothing much of note?! How about LH breaking Michael Schumacher's (spit) record for number of poles, and (I think?) in fewer races? Or the fact that for the first time this year LH has overtaken Vettel at the top of the leader board?


Well I was talking about what actually happened 'on track' and didn't want to massage Hamilton's ego any more than necessary! ;)
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby SubHuman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:55 pm

sarah t wrote:Mercedes 1-2 wasn't what I was expecting for Monza but Hamilton has the momentum at the moment and Bottas did well coming from 6th up to runner up spot... that engine has some serious grunt, well at least for them. Came to the race cold on Sunday afternoon and was astonished to hear that Stroll started on the front row with Ocon in third, good races for them both I think but the top two teams were always going to be too strong for them. Blinder of a good result for Ricardo including that fantastic ballsy move to pass Kimi's Ferrari late into the race.

Nothing much else of note I think during Italian GP... unless anyone else spotted anything worth noting???


Yeah Mercedes were much stronger than expected at Monza, so much so that they turned the engine power down towards the end of the race. More bad luck for Verstappen wonder what he has to do to get a decent finish?
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby JJ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:21 am

[quote="sarah t]Well I was talking about what actually happened 'on track' and didn't want to massage Hamilton's ego any more than necessary! ;)[/quote]

I think you can safely say he doesn't read the Human League Forum and therefore his ego would be no more massaged than it already may be. ;)
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3329
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby sarah t » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:26 am

JJ wrote:
sarah t wrote:Well I was talking about what actually happened 'on track' and didn't want to massage Hamilton's ego any more than necessary! ;)


I think you can safely say he doesn't read the Human League Forum and therefore his ego would be no more massaged than it already may be. ;)


Well naturally you wouldn't see him here but I think there is already enough people praising his achievements, impressive as they are. Let's not forget there are [this season] nineteen other drivers on the grid for each GP.
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby SubHuman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:54 pm

Looking at the F1 calendar if Mercedes can beat Ferrari at the circuits where they are expected to do well that may determine the outcome of the Drivers Championship. Unless forced engine and gearbox changes intervene.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby JJ » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:47 am

Well that went well for LH! Especially at a GP that Ferrari would have expected to dominate. In football terms that was a big away win for Mer.Mc.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3329
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby SubHuman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:05 am

Ashamed to say I cheered heartily when it became clear Vettel had crashed and Hamilton was in the lead.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby sarah t » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:07 am

SubHuman wrote:Ashamed to say I cheered heartily when it became clear Vettel had crashed and Hamilton was in the lead.


Could this have been the most dramatic, incident ridden Singapore GP ever? Great fun and am looking forward to catching up with the footage later this week :)
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby SubHuman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Didn't Vettel have a coming together with Mark Webber in Singapore? I know both drivers collided in Turkey when they were with Red Bull.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby sarah t » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:56 am

I've been looking at various analysis and clips of the start of the Singapore GP crash on YouTube and IMO I think it is Verstappen whom is to blame. He was defending from Kimi, moving a bit from side-to-side forcing Kimi into a mistake, perhaps too much power on a wet bit which caused him colliding with the Red Bull and his teammate.
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests