All Human League Songs Ranked On Quality

News, releases, polls and general chat about The Human League and related topics

All Human League Songs Ranked On Quality

Postby jimmasonurmston » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi - I'm new to this board but have been a massive Human League fan for decades. I have posted a blog page online where I have ranked all 131 Human League tracks from worst to best. I'd love you to check it out and make comments.

Here is the link:

https://jimmasonurmston.blogspot.co.uk/ ... -from.html

Let me know if you agree with me or not.
jimmasonurmston

Re: All Human League Songs Ranked On Quality

Postby sarah t » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:01 pm

jimmasonurmston wrote:Hi - I'm new to this board but have been a massive Human League fan for decades. I have posted a blog page online where I have ranked all 131 Human League tracks from worst to best. I'd love you to check it out and make comments.

Here is the link:

https://jimmasonurmston.blogspot.co.uk/ ... -from.html

Let me know if you agree with me or not.

It will take me quite some time to fully look through this list but well done for assembling it. ;) However on an initial scan down the page I counted fifteen songs I had never heard of that I don't think are associated with The Human League, mostly in the lower reaches of your chart. Surprised that 'Don't You Want Me' only ranks as sixth and although a mighty fine song I personally wouldn't have put 'Tell Me When' at the very top.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:16 pm

The quality of songs is a highly subjective assessment so you're not likely to get much agreement with your selection, I will take a look at your blog.
SubHuman

Postby cs15 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:19 pm

Sarah t they are all League related on that list.

Nice list. A lot of thought and effort went into it so congrats BUT HLAW at #11 & TMW at #1???? =D

Neither would be Top 30 in my list! But hey that's what choice is all about.
cs15

Postby DevinSpice » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:21 am

I read the whole list last night and was fascinated by it. I certainly plan to comment more specifically on the blog itself, and I admire you for attempting to rank the songs on quality rather than personal preference, but I find that to be very difficult and I'm not sure I would agree with a lot of the rankings based either on quality or preference! But it was a very interesting read.
DevinSpice

Postby DevinSpice » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:25 am

However on an initial scan down the page I counted fifteen songs I had never heard of that I don't think are associated with The Human League, mostly in the lower reaches of your chart. Surprised that 'Don't You Want Me' only ranks as sixth and although a mighty fine song I personally wouldn't have put 'Tell Me When' at the very top.

Sarah, I think the tracks you're thrown by are those that appear on the CD "Golden Hour of the Future" which includes early tracks by The Future/Human League pre-Reproduction.
DevinSpice

Postby jimmasonurmston » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:57 pm

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to read and comment on my article, it's really appreciated. I totally expected people to disagree with my rankings, that's what makes it interesting.
jimmasonurmston

Postby cs15 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:48 pm

51 MORALE

Gosh, it's a bit grim. There's plenty of passion in the vocal here though, and the simple synth line is hypnotic.

One of my favourite League tracks. It would easily be in my Top 10 League tracks if not Top 5. I absolutely adore Morale.
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:45 pm

What's the criteria for assessing the quality of a track?
SubHuman

Postby Kevin Caywood » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:35 am

First things first... Regardless whether you call it quality, review, or critique it's just an opinion.

On the positive side, I appreciate your knowledge of music and composition. A lot of times I tried to explain on this forum but didn't know how to express it... (chord progression, vibrato, baselines, etc.) bells, whistles, beeps, and so on and so on. I understand what you are conveying. I agree with you on many of the positive things you said about the songs...

On the opposite side, I disagree on a lot of things with what you critique the songs on. Things that bored, annoyed, or grated on you didn't for me. It's still a preference list even though you want to call it quality chart. Quality is in the ear of the beholder. We all consider what makes the music enjoyable or passable by the emotional attachment you have for it at that mental frame in your life.

If you search through out this forum you will see many of these kind of lists that various members have contributed. Over time you can change your mind on many of the things you had originally stated.

Thanks for sharing and it was an interesting assessment.
Kevin Caywood

Postby Danny C » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:28 am

I must commend you on the work you've put in here Jim, fantastic.

I am much lazier than you so lengthy commentary is beyond me, and in any case it would be churlish to nitpick such an undertaking, however I am thrilled to see that there is someone else on this planet who rates Tell Me When and Reflections as highly as I do.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby JJ » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:32 am

I love TMW - always have.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby crowbaby » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:50 am

JJ wrote:I love TMW - always have.

Fantastic song...and a really classy video :)
crowbaby

Postby cs15 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:06 pm

Ok song. Great video.
cs15

Return to General discussion