Books - what are you reading at the moment?

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: Books - what are you reading at the moment?

Postby JJ » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:47 am

JJ wrote:Now starting David Baldacci - Absolute Power. Often see his books around and fairly cheap so thought I'd give one a go.

Glad I did! Now finished it and enjoyed it all the way through. Very easy read.

Now starting Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Been meaning to get to it for ages.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby JJ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:34 pm

Recently finished Rebecca. Wow, absolutely loved it. The intensely oppressive brooding menace, the fact you knew something was going to happen, a fantastic twist and great ending.

Now onto volume 1 of the excellent Simon Schama's A History of Britain - At The Edge Of The World? 3000BC - AD1603. I'm 60 pages in and it's started well.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Daphne du Maurier is one of my favourite woman authors.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:30 am

JJ wrote:Now onto volume 1 of the excellent Simon Schama's A History of Britain - At The Edge Of The World? 3000BC - AD1603. I'm 60 pages in and it's started well.

Finished that, and enjoyed it. Very easy to read although he did gloss over a few things a bit quickly a couple of times.

Before I dive into volume 2 I'm now reading John le Carre - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I've read a few others of his and thought they were good, especially The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, so thought I'd give arguably his most famous novel a try.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:11 pm

JJ wrote:
JJ wrote:Now onto volume 1 of the excellent Simon Schama's A History of Britain - At The Edge Of The World? 3000BC - AD1603. I'm 60 pages in and it's started well.

Finished that, and enjoyed it. Very easy to read although he did gloss over a few things a bit quickly a couple of times.

Before I dive into volume 2 I'm now reading John le Carre - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I've read a few others of his and thought they were good, especially The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, so thought I'd give arguably his most famous novel a try.

You won't be disappointed, this book marvellously evokes the Cold War era. The television adaption is almost as good.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:50 pm

As it happens I was a bit disappointed in TTSS. I don't know if I just wasn't paying due attention, or that I'd only read one of the earlier novels so didn't 'get' some of the references, but I found it a bit confusing and nothing much happened until I was 300 pages in. Perhaps I was just being a bit thick!

Anyway, I'm now into John Irving's The Cider House Rules. One of his other books (Until I Find You) is in my top 5 books of all time.
JJ

Postby cs15 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:10 am

Finished the new The Girl Who Takes An Eye For An Eye (Stig Larsson).
It's a decent enough read but a bit OTT in places. Lisbeth is superhuman at this stage and it seems that nothing or nobody can kill her but it's still an enjoyable read.
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:39 pm

JJ wrote:As it happens I was a bit disappointed in TTSS. I don't know if I just wasn't paying due attention, or that I'd only read one of the earlier novels so didn't 'get' some of the references, but I found it a bit confusing and nothing much happened until I was 300 pages in. Perhaps I was just being a bit thick!

Anyway, I'm now into John Irving's The Cider House Rules. One of his other books (Until I Find You) is in my top 5 books of all time.

Read TTSS a long time ago, thought it was really good but I had watched the excellent tv adaptation staring Alec Guinness beforehand. I didn't think the tv sequel Smiley's People was quite as good, although the book was. This was around 1982, for reading the books that is, watched the tv series first time around, have the DVDs now.
SubHuman

Postby Danny C » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Just about to start reading Alan Partridge "Nomad". The first book ("I Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan") had me crying with laughter, so I have high hopes.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby JJ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:20 am

SubHuman wrote:Read TTSS a long time ago, thought it was really good but I had watched the excellent tv adaptation staring Alec Guinness beforehand.

That's cheating. =|
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:13 pm

JJ wrote:
SubHuman wrote:Read TTSS a long time ago, thought it was really good but I had watched the excellent tv adaptation staring Alec Guinness beforehand.

That's cheating. =|

Yeah, but I wouldn't have read the books if I hadn't seen TTSS on the telly. :)
SubHuman

Previous

Return to General discussion