General Discussion Thread

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: General Discussion Thread

Postby sarah t » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:24 am

Just thought I'd mention that further to my email, Dan Dove, a reporter for local paper Southern Daily Echo will be visiting the London Road Oxfam bookshop tomorrow (Friday, 25th August) conducting interviews and writing an article for the paper.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:50 am

It's such a shame that yet another secondhand bookshop is closing. There used to be a good half a dozen in Bath and now there's only one left. It's a similar story with new books, shops keep closing, it won't be long until it will only be Waterstones, Smiths and Amazon left selling books.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:12 am

In today's local Southern Daily Echo...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/sarahta1102/Shop%20closure%20-%20Daily%20Echo_zpsehab8ovu.jpg

I think it reads very well! :)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:19 am

A full days cycling certainly gives me an emotional boost and yesterday pottering amongst the surrounding countryside over Bishops Waltham/Swanmore way (44 miles) was, for me, a good way to start the week. Interesting to see the latest development in the ongoing saga of the Northern Pond (a SINC (Site of Importance for Nature Conservation))... they have cleared a lot of trees from the centre of the site and there is a new seating/picnic table area which should be good come next summer. NB Bishops Waltham is east of Southampton and Eastleigh :)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:10 pm

sarah t wrote:... Bishops Waltham is east of Southampton and Eastleigh :)

And north of Portsmouth =D

Seriously, good to see you're cycling and enjoying it again.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:08 am

With friends like the DUP who needs enemies?
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:31 pm

It's currently snowing in Wiltshire, although not sticking as we've already had rain. Things will be fine unless it gets colder, which is forecast for tonight!

I'm getting fed up hearing about Brexshit.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:57 pm

SubHuman wrote:It's currently snowing in Wiltshire, although not sticking as we've already had rain. Things will be fine unless it gets colder, which is forecast for tonight!

Well if we are comparing it was certainly 'gritted teeth' challenging going for a long walk yesterday here with my least favourite weather combination of rain and strong wind added to slow to gain daylight early on as I began my down to Redbridge and up Toothill and back via North Baddesley route. We had a brief amount of sleet to begin with which gave way to rain throughout the entire day but what struck me was the low temperature and my difficulty to get any warmth into my fingers throughout the day. Yeah I eventually weakened late on but even with gloves on it didn't change the feeling in my hands. We got some flooding, particularly on the stretch of country lane towards Lee which then leads on towards Toothill where the donkeys are. There were 'police road closed' signs which led to my doubling back and taking another route which felt much longer and alongside the very busy A3057 road, stopping occasionally to let traffic go by before I moved out and around some very large curbside puddles. =(

Overall a pretty grim day but let's look on the positive. I did feed carrots to seven horses and two donkeys whom no doubt welcomed the kindness and attention on a day when people contact is likely to be rather at a minimum.

Today in Southampton it is fine blue skies and sunshine... :)
sarah t

Previous

Return to General discussion