Japanese Card Sleeve reissues

News, releases, polls and general chat about The Human League and related topics

Japanese Card Sleeve reissues

Postby df118junkie » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Reproduction to Romantic (6 albums) are being reissued in August. They are in limited card LP style sleeves. CD Japan already has them up,for pre-order.
df118junkie

Re: Japanese Card Sleeve reissues

Postby Kevin Caywood » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:50 pm

I'm totally into this if the sleeve was like the actual gatefold and has inner lyrics sleeve. Does anyone have or know of any other artists who has done the same thing with their CD/Album?
Kevin Caywood

Postby df118junkie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:22 am

They are usually reproductions of the original issue LP. In the listings it suggests Hysteria and Crash are gatefold. I have many other artists in this format and they are consistently true to detail.
df118junkie

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:27 am

I adore these and I'm pleased to see The Human League's catalogue getting the treatment. I wonder if they'll be newly mastered (at least the later albums)?
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:41 am

Also worth nothing that these are SHM-CDs.

As I said I adore these Japanese paper sleeve albums and I’ve got a vast collection of them (they also take up less shelf space!). The attention to detail is superb. They should be identical to the original vinyl album packaging, but in miniature. So all the albums (bar Travelogue which never had one) will have the card inner sleeves. All Japanese CDs come with lyric sheets (in Japanese and English). You’ll be hard pressed I think to read them on the covers without a magnifying glass. The discs should also replicate the original vinyl abums labels.

I’ve got a Japanese paper sleeve Devo box set, and the version of New Traditionalists (which originally came with a poster and bonus 7” single) has the poster replicated an a little paper single too.

The original Japanese booklets in the vinyl albums of Reproduction and Travelogue had different photos, but I don’t know if they’ll be included too. Some of the card sleeves I have replicate the Japanese editions and some the country of origin, i.e. The Human League ones may resemble the British editions rather than the Japanese.
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby crowbaby » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:02 pm

So the whole package is cd-sized ?
crowbaby

Postby negative1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:27 pm

DJ Ian Aitch wrote:Also worth nothing that these are SHM-CDs.

Basically, they are just pressed onto different material than normal cd's.. hence the SHM part.
they don't necessarily sound better, or are remastered.

they are probably the same as the previous remasters
-------------------------

will be looking forward to these when they come out. Will probably only buy a few of them,
since I don't want all the albums in this format, just the ones i like. (dare, romantic)

later
negative1

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:47 am

There's nothing on the League's facebook page or in the Amazon store about this cd card sleeve re-issue of the first six albums, but it's just yet another repackaging of material that's already available, mmm. :/
SubHuman

Postby Knowlesy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:29 am

That's excellent news. Here's a link to the romantic? re-issue - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-78483
The albums have been re-mastered from the original master tapes for this release. This is particularly welcome for the romantic? album. Release date is August 23rd.
Knowlesy

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:01 am

crowbaby wrote:So the whole package is cd-sized ?

Yes, it's as if the 12" album has been shrunk to 5" CD size.

Interesting that these are new masters; I wonder if they'll include the original vinyl mixes of the Reproduction tracks that are different on the current CDs?
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby Knowlesy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:02 am

DJ Ian Aitch wrote:
crowbaby wrote:So the whole package is cd-sized ?

Yes, it's as if the 12" album has been shrunk to 5" CD size.

Interesting that these are new masters; I wonder if they'll include the original vinyl mixes of the Reproduction tracks that are different on the current CDs?

I don't know Ian. Maybe if they are using the original vinyl masters. Just translated the track listings from Japanese to English - there are some fascinating translations of song titles :) It appears that Reproduction, Travelogue, Hysteria and Crash have the same tracks as the re-issues by Virgin and Caroline from the early 00s. Plenty of bonus tracks included. Dare! and romantic? only have the original album tracks listed. No bonus tracks at all. Overall though this is unexpected and brilliant news. Perhaps the rest of the Virgin back catalogue will be re-issued on vinyl too.
Knowlesy

Postby negative1 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:31 pm

Looks like these have been delayed until late september.

later
negative1

Postby negative1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:09 pm

The release date has slipped again, to late november:

November 22, 2017

later
negative1

Return to General discussion