Live Bootlegs

News, releases, polls and general chat about The Human League and related topics

Live Bootlegs

Postby Money1987 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:48 am

Hey everyone, I'm new here to the forum so I hope I'm not beating a dead horse for asking this question but I was wondering if anyone here knows where I can find any live bootlegs from the League's Crash tour. I've been looking for this stuff for awhile but I've always came up short. Any help is much appreciated :)

{Thread title edited by Mod Crowbaby}
Money1987

Re: I Hope I'm Not Beating a Dead Horse but...

Postby cs15 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:45 am

They weren't at their 'live' best on that tour BUT it was good fun. I saw 3 gigs on the Crash tour - Liverpool (my first ever League gig & first time I ever met them), Dublin & Tralee in Co. Kerry.

I have the audio recording of the Dublin gig somewhere but it's missing the encore of Fascination & Rock 'N' Roll as the guy who went to the gig to record it wasn't a fan and left before the encore. :rolleyes:

I actually came across 2 Crash Tour posters the other day too. I had forgotten I even had them. One is from a gig in Germany and the 2nd one is from the gig in Tralee. 30 years ago this year!!! :O
cs15

Postby Money1987 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:52 pm

I could only imagine, I've seen pictures from the tour with Phil and the girls dressing up and all that stuff haha. But it's real cool you saw them during this interesting period :) (and you met them? Lucky!). If you ever come across your recording of the Dublin gig would you mind sending me a link or something of the audio? There's a couple of songs they only performed live on this tour that I'm real interested in hearing. But still it's too bad the guy left before the encore :\ shameful.

That's really cool too, actual posters from the tour? That stuff (tour posters, t-shirts, any Crash merch really) is hard to come by so I hope they're in good condition :) it's hard to believe it's been 30 years since then, it's crazy....
Money1987

Postby JJ » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:53 am

Crash was my first THL gigs too, Patric. I went to both RAH shows then the two at Shepherds Bush. I didn't start going to gigs until 84 and so missed al the Dare etc tour .
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby cs15 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Same JJ.
I was only 16 when they played in Liverpool and bought a gig ticket with no idea how I'd get to Liverpool from Dublin. My dad went nuts when I told him I was going but seeing my determination to go he decided to come with me. We caught the ferry from Dublin to Liverpool and ended up having to share a bed in a horrible B&B in Liverpool. The gig was fantastic.

Money1987 yeah I think they are in good condition considering they are 30 years old!
The gig in Tralee was great too. It was the night that Johnny Logan won the Eurovision Song Contest and Phil referenced it on stage that night. Crowd of course went wild. Great night! Again my dad brought me to the gig (approx 5 hours drive from Dublin).
Good old dads eh??
cs15

Postby cs15 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Found that live boot from Dublin and the set list was:

1. Hard Times
2. Money
3. The Things That Dreams Are Made Of
4. Real Thing
5. Do Or Die
6. Human
7. Sound Of The Crowd
8. Love Action
9. Jam
10. Love On The Run
11. Seconds
12. The Lebanon
13. Electric Dreams
14. I Need Your Loving
15. Mirror Man
16. Don't You Want Me

*Missing encore*
17. Fascination
18. Rock 'N' Roll

Also found the gig review from the local paper and the headline is 'Top Of The League'
Very original.

When I met them in Kerry the following day they invited me in to where they were having their lunch. I showed Ian Burden the review in the paper and he read the review word for word out loud in front of everyone. Philip seemed very pleased with it. When Susan signed my vinyl copy of Crash she got some of her lunch (lasagne) on the cover. She was all alopogies but I was secretly delighted. That lasagne smudge from 30 years ago is still there to this day (I think).

How many of you can say you have 30 year old League food??? =D
Last edited by cs15 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cs15

Postby cs15 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:58 pm

I thought I only had 2 Crash tour posters but I've actually got 3!

One from Germany is official - and large!
One from England is official - and large!
The one from Tralee is a 'home made' jobbie that I assume the hotel made. Crudely made, no photo. Bright orange/red colour with huge black writing 'World Megastars The Human League Saturday 9th May Horan's

I had forgotten that Drum Theatre were the support band on the Crash tour.
I remember them playing this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqJvL3RSE5k
cs15

Postby cs15 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:49 pm

Image[/URL]

Dublin, Top Hat, Dún Laoghaire
cs15

Postby cs15 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:51 pm

Image[/URL]
cs15

Postby cs15 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:52 pm

Image[/URL]
cs15

Postby cs15 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:59 pm

Image[/URL]

When Susan signed this pic I remember her saying to me 'ooooh you're a bit naughty'. I didn't sleep well that night. :lol:

How Chris Lowe looking is the keyboard player??? =D
cs15

Postby the snake » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:00 am

Nice pic's Patric :cool:
Horan's in Tralee in Co Kerry was my very first H.L concert.
A brilliant gig it was too. I could not believe how close to the stage i was it was more like a bar the band were playing in and i think they had just got to number one in USA charts with Human :lol: Correct me if im wrong but was Are You Ever Coming Back played that night ?
the snake

Postby crowbaby » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:32 am

Fantastic pics! And to think I only had to wait another 15 years to see the League for the first time! :p
crowbaby

Postby cs15 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:26 am

UK tour poster. Ripped off a wall in Liverpool in 1986 so excuse the damage.

cs15

Postby cs15 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:31 am

World Mega-Stars

cs15

Postby cs15 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:34 am

cs15

Postby Panzermensch » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:15 pm

This should have been my debut gig to see THL, bought a ticket for Copenhagen but the bastards cancelled the gig!! (probably to focus their current success on the us market).
Panzermensch

Postby Danny C » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Pretty sure the Crash tour was the first time I ever saw them live too. It was definitely at the Royal Court in Liverpool, and to my knowledge it's the only time they played that venue in the late 80s, so it must have been then. January 1987. I would have been 8 years old. Didn't see them again until December 1995 at the Empire.

cs15, I have that red and yellow poster too, though it was a mint copy bought off eBay maybe 10 years ago. I love the simplicity of it.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby redblue100 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:58 pm

First tour for me too. Crawley Leisure Centre in Nov 86, so they must have split the tour in 2 as that date is,not on the poster. It was an awesome show and somewhere I have a bootleg too, will try and find it...
redblue100

Postby cs15 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Listening back to the boot now it's amazing how completely frantic the songs were. They are really bashing them out at a rapid breakneck speed. The best bit though is the obvious mistakes. It sounds quite garage band amateurish in parts (in a really good way) but I think that's just because they are so polished now in comparison. I always loved Phil getting really shouty and aggressive at the end of Seconds and then straight into The Lebanon. Great stuff. So glad I caught them 3 times on the Crash tour. Fun times.

=D

*Sorry Joe, I can't remember them doing Are You Ever Coming Back? in Tralee. That doesn't mean that they didn't, it just means I'm really old and my brain can't remember it. :rolleyes:
cs15

Postby Money1987 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:16 pm

I'm just reading everything you all are posting in awe. You guys were around when all of this was going on, you have posters, autographed pictures, bootlegs, food stained album covers(!), hell you've even met the Human League in person. I'm only 20, been a fan since middle school and it's just really cool hearing you all reminisce about this particular era of the band. I'm really just taken aback by how exciting all of this must've been (and I'm pretty jealous too) :)

Btw if any of you can post a link or something of any Crash tour bootleg that'd be really cool (looking at you cs15 haha, I'd really love to hear some live audio from the Crash era).
Money1987

Postby cs15 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:45 pm

I'm totally crap at getting things online but I might be able to upload it to YouTube. Don't hold your breath I'm afraid. Work getting in the way of life way too much at the moment but I'll try. Maybe redblue100 is a better bet?
cs15

Postby Money1987 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:21 pm

No worries I understand, take your time and whatever happens, happens. But either way I appreciate cs15. Redblue100, if you manage to find that boot of yours could you try and upload it?
Money1987

Postby the snake » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:08 am

Panzermensch wrote:This should have been my debut gig to see THL, bought a ticket for Copenhagen but the bastards cancelled the gig!! (probably to focus their current success on the us market).

Panzermensch : I think they went off to Japan after the 3 Concerts in Ireland. Were they big in Japan? :lol:
the snake

Postby JJ » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:08 am

JJ wrote:Crash was my first THL gigs too, Patric. I went to both RAH shows then the two at Shepherds Bush. I didn't start going to gigs until 84 and so missed al the Dare etc tour .

I have no idea what planet I was on when I wrote that. The RAH / SBE gigs were of course for the Octopus tour.

The Crash London dates were at the Hammersmith Odeon. It was quite funny because I'd gone there in person early one morning to buy tickets for someone else (Numan maybe?) when I saw a THL poster up at the ticket office, and this is how the conversation went:
JJ - "You've got Human League up there! When do the tickets go on sale?"
Ticket person - "This morning"
JJ (in couldn't believe his luck mode) - "Wow! How near to the front can I get?"
TP - "You can have the front row - where do you want, they're all available."
JJ (still in shock) - "Right, I'll have the middle seat please! What about the second night?"
TP - "Same seat's available if you want it."
JJ - "Yes please!!"

So I got the middle seat in the front row, same seat, both nights. On the second night PO looked down at me, smiled and said "It's nice to see some people who were here last night!" JJ = happy bunny!!
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Next

Return to General discussion