The Football thread

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: The Football thread

Postby Danny C » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:28 pm

I wouldn't back us to beat a team of one-legged lollipop men at the moment. We have the worst defence in the league, and Christian Benteke has scored more goals at Anfield for opposition teams than he did while actually playing for Liverpool. Nuff said.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby JJ » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Well we'll soon find out Danny. But Palace isn't the same team it was under Allardyce and if I was a betting man I'd be lumping on a 4 goal win for Liverpool.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby JJ » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:56 pm

...or not! We definitely improved from last week (not hard as last week was appalling) and Benteke missed a sitter which would've put us 1-0 up. Liverpool deserved the win but there were at least some positives for us.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:21 am

JJ wrote:...or not! We definitely improved from last week (not hard as last week was appalling) and Benteke missed a sitter which would've put us 1-0 up. Liverpool deserved the win but there were at least some positives for us.

Yeah, seems Benteke is still having problems hitting the goal at Anfield. I think I remember almost the same sort of thing when he played for Liverpool. It looked like it should have been easier to hit the target!
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:58 am

SubHuman wrote:
JJ wrote:Yeah, seems Benteke is still having problems hitting the goal at Anfield

You should check your facts. I think you'll find he usually makes a habit of scoring against Liverpool, including at Anfield. He scored both goals last year when we won there 2-1, for example. In fact I think any LFC fan would tell you he's scored more against them than he did for them, especially at Anfield.
JJ

Postby Danny C » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:53 pm

It's the first time he's gone to Anfield as a visiting player and lost.
Danny C

Postby SubHuman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:25 pm

I was really thinking of Benteke as a Liverpool player.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:08 am

SubHuman wrote:I was really thinking of Benteke as a Liverpool player.

Your previous post suggests you were primarily talking about when he wasn't playing for Liverpool.

SubHuman wrote:Yeah, seems Benteke is still having problems hitting the goal at Anfield. I think I remember almost the same sort of thing when he played for Liverpool.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:38 am

That's why they call me Mr ambiguous, sometimes my thinking gets muddled. Sorry folks.
SubHuman

Postby Pauline » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:02 pm

The Blades are at home to Leicester tonight, second round of the Caraobo (sp??) up. Yes I'm going :D Can't wait to see a big team at the Lane! Not sure what the outcome will be mind.....

I don't like to bet against the Blades, so I'm going to say 2-2, and keep everything crossed ;)
Pauline

Postby sarah t » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:53 am

Pauline wrote:The Blades are at home to Leicester tonight, second round of the Caraobo (sp??) up. Yes I'm going :D Can't wait to see a big team at the Lane! Not sure what the outcome will be mind.....

I don't like to bet against the Blades, so I'm going to say 2-2, and keep everything crossed ;)

Good luck for that Pauline. I hope we [Southampton] manage to squeeze past Wolves here at St Marys tonight... also me with a lot of things crossed apart from my eyes! ;)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Bristol Rovers managed to win away at Bury last weekend 2-3. So the defence is still rather rocky.
SubHuman

Postby Pauline » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:45 pm

sarah t wrote:
Pauline wrote:The Blades are at home to Leicester tonight, second round of the Caraobo (sp??) up. Yes I'm going :D Can't wait to see a big team at the Lane! Not sure what the outcome will be mind.....

Good luck for that Pauline. I hope we [Southampton] manage to squeeze past Wolves here at St Marys tonight... also me with a lot of things crossed apart from my eyes! ;)

Leicester beat us 4-1! Not as bad as the score dictates.... We dominated the first half, Leicester clearly got their bums kicked at half-time. I enjoyed watching them, tall tall men who can run 100mph! :lol:
Pauline

Postby SubHuman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:46 am

There are some interesting looking fixtures coming up this weekend: Man U v Leicester, Newcastle v West Ham, Huddersfield v Southampton, and Palace v Swansea should give the home side their best chance of a win to date. Bristol Rovers have a daunting looking home match against Fleetwood who have taken max points so far conceding no goals.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:07 am

Crumbs Rovers beat Fleetwood 3-1, and Man U are looking ominosly good this season.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:24 am

Great result for Sheffield United against former Premier League side Sunderland and what a debut for Clayton Donaldson netting twice... Could be one to watch! ;)

We were terrible against Watford at the weekend, lots of unhappy 'Saints' fans leaving St Marys on Saturday and commenting on Radio Solent via text and email. No passion, no commitment and our only real attempt at goal came in extra time. =(
sarah t

Postby Danny C » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Danny C wrote:
SubHuman wrote:Hope your trip home goes well JJ and that Palace pull off a shock win, that would be worth the flight money alone.

Not sure beating Swansea would exactly be a shock, they're one of the worst sides in Premier League history.

Incidentally, Palace's last four managers are: Pulis, Warnock, Pardew and Allardyce. Palace fans must be wondering what they've done to deserve that. I think they only need Hodgson to complete the set :lol:

Good grief.

Anyone want next Saturday's lottery numbers?
Danny C

Postby SubHuman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:58 pm

Is Hodgson really so bad?
SubHuman

Postby Pauline » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:25 pm

sarah t wrote:Great result for Sheffield United against former Premier League side Sunderland and what a debut for Clayton Donaldson netting twice... Could be one to watch! ;) =(

I know!!! We're doing not so bad at all!! I know it's early days, but really pleased how the season is going so far :cool:
Pauline

Postby Danny C » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:28 pm

SubHuman wrote:Is Hodgson really so bad?

Well, he's consistent at least, his Premier League win rate is about 35%, no matter what club he's been at. His style of football could best be described as dinosaur. He is most definitely approaching senile, if not already outright cuckoo.

Definitely one of my favourite comedians.
Danny C

Postby JJ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:18 pm

I think Palace are having their very own "how many ex-England managers can we employ" competition.

So far:
Terry Venables - twice;
Peter Taylor;
Sam Allardyce;
Roy Hodgson.

Also not forgetting that Alan Pardew had wriggled so far up his own derriere that in a number of interviews he was virtually saying how much he deserved the opportunity to do it.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:29 am

JJ wrote:I think Palace are having their very own "how many ex-England managers can we employ" competition.

So far:
Terry Venables - twice;
Peter Taylor;
Sam Allardyce;
Roy Hodgson.

Also not forgetting that Alan Pardew had wriggled so far up his own derriere that in a number of interviews he was virtually saying how much he deserved the opportunity to do it.

Good grief, still I don't suppose Woy can be as bad as Friendly Frank!
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Another complete crock of shit from Palace. We let an average Southampton side look better than us all over the pitch, and yet another goal-costing error from our goalkeeper. Our next 3 games will be heavy defeats and we'll have 0 points from 8 games. And that, my friends, = relegation.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:51 pm

It doesn't look too good for Palace, but miracles do happen.
SubHuman

Postby Danny C » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:00 pm

Not round Roy Hodgson they don't.

I honestly thought his time as England boss would have brought the scales down from everyone's eyes on what a thoroughly poor manager - and obnoxious personality - he was. I noticed he's already throwing his players under the bus after one game, and he was managing expectations down ("Palace can escape relegation" - that's it, aim high, Roy) before a ball had been kicked under his reign.
Danny C

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion